Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I know it's a while from being completed, but has anyone seen renderings of the new 14th Street bridge, as in how it will look from the Connector? Is there any chance of it making up for the failure of 17th Street?

www.14thstreetbridge.com might be helpful as might be contacting www.midtownalliance.org .

Thanks to anyone else for renderings and construction picture updates of all new construction (Hotel Palomar, etc) are always appreciated.

That would look nice on Spring St. A glass structure right on the interstate would accent the city a lot I think. I havnt checked up on the ATL as much as I would like so are there any proposals for the west (coca-cola) side of 75/85? I think its about time for developers to encompus the interstate with buildings on both sides. Atlanta can begin support it now.

I like the design of this building. It's definitely different.

This area of Spring St is developing into a nice little area of urbanity. I used to work out at the LA Fitness right across the street from the proposed building. In this area of mixed styles and midrises, I think the design does enough to set it apart from its surrounds, while maintaining the closeness to the street which is so needed in this area. It will blend in well with the eclectic atmosphere in this area. It serves a purpose from a financial standpoint (good leaseable space that is in easy walking distance to public transportation) as well as a visual interest to the steeping up of the buildings from "the eastern side of the river bank"...better known as the Downtown Connector.

I hope it gets built....not before 50 Allen Plaza though.

^^I agree. This non-Peachtree area of Midtown is coming along nicely.

The AJC has an update on the 1400 Peachtree site. The location is just north of the arts center at the intersection of 17th and Peachtree and the developers announced there intentions of creating an "architecturally significant" project when they purchased the site last year. The current plan is as follows..

Class A Office Space - 400,000-600,000 RSF

Luxury Hotel - 225 rooms

Branded Residences - 75 condominium homes

Retail - 40,000-50,000 RSF

Mid-2009 is being the targeted for a construction start and there is already an agreement with a hotel operator (rumored to be Intercontinental). It could be two towers 25 to 30 stories tall or a single tower at 50 to 60 stories tall.

The development is a joint venture between Jamestown Properties, which invests money from German investors in US real estate, and Shailendra Group. Both are based in Atlanta.

Edited by Martinman

That would look nice on Spring St. A glass structure right on the interstate would accent the city a lot I think. I havnt checked up on the ATL as much as I would like so are there any proposals for the west (coca-cola) side of 75/85? I think its about time for developers to encompus the interstate with buildings on both sides. Atlanta can begin support it now.

The Coke side of :rolleyes: ... 75/85, westward, is even more Georgia Tech dominated.

The east side of 75/85, next to this beautiful new office tower at 77 5th at Centergy, has just over seven (7) more acres with superb expressway visability. This is where the Atlanta Coca-Cola Bottling Company used to operate their primary Atlanta bottling operation.

Anyone have ideas on on what is likey to go there?

The sign posted notes 4 acre and 3 acre parcels divided by 8th Street and now represented by Cushman and Wakefield. Two huge footprints!

Congrats to all involved with 77 5th at Centergy !!!

• 2 weeks later...

The AJC reports on another possible future development which could be built on the parking lots behind the Margaret Mitchell House.

The Atlanta Historical Society had pretty much decided to sell to Jamestown Properties until Dewberry made a competing offer. Now they've voted to sell for at least $7 million which is what Jamestown was offering.

Jamestown's plan is for a mixed-use building (either hotel or residential) with enough underground parking to help serve the 999 Peachtree retail and the Midtown Mile. Also Jamestown has hired Cousins to manage and lease 999 Peachtree.

Rendering of the 999 Peachtree street level which will be redeveloped

999Peachtree1.jpg

Edited by Martinman

I haven't been by there today but I hear that the Metropolitan Center site was being fenced today. Actually, there was already a fence around the site so the assumption is that this is construction related.

The developers are Daniel, Selig, and insurance giant Metlife (the same team that is developing 12th & Midtown). They indicated a few weeks ago that they intended to start the project this year and deliver in 2010 so this may actually be moving forward.

The announced plans called for...

27-story office tower, around 500,000 SQ FT

~30-story apartment tower with 300 units

40,000 of retail space

Located at the SE corner of the W. Peachtree and 17th street intersection.

lgmetcenterzl9.jpg

Edited by Martinman

I was thinking the opposite...I like these projects individually, but I'm thinking it might get a little monotonous with such similar styling covering the entire midtown area. Vancouver's skyline isn't that aesthetically pleasing to me, it's the natural surroundings that make it look great.

I was thinking Metropolitan was more greenish than blue but at any rate its half a mile from 12th & Midtown with all of the 14th street corridor in between. The only other blue glass buildings nearby are over at Atlantic Station. Also Vancouver is HEAVILY dominated by residential buildings which is what I think makes it montonous.

I don't think the Metropolitan buildings are anything special but I think the office building is potentially attractive and the street level is good so I'll wait before passing judgment. I wasn't sure I would like 1010 but I think the real thing looks great.

Edited by Martinman

North Midtown is going to look like Vancouver with all of this blue glass, and I'm not complaining!

I'm not trying to be overly critical or whatnot but when was the last time you were in North Midtown? I was there today. These buildings will be in stark contrast to their surroundings. The closest all glass building in an almost similar color scheme would be 1180 Peachtree. 1180 is more like mirrored and these buildings look more like a light green tint to the glass. Other than that building, there are no other buildings that are remotely similar. Well maybe the NCR building. But it has the rich red marble horizontal strips seperating each floor. The Promenade, granted is glass but it's a rose colored glass and it's top sets it totally apart from the Met complex. When knowing exactly where these buidings are going to be located, one could not begin to imagine this part of Midtown looking anything remotely similar to Vancouver.

I agree with Martinman, when one considers what's there now, the street presence will do wonders for the area. I have a listing in the area so I am quite familiar with what it looks like from Atlantic Station. The walk across the yellow steel bridge will not be as daunting. Take a look at the DRI provided by Martinman. It shows in black and white where these buildings will be located. If you are familiar with the buildings, you will see that they will be nothing like their surroundings.

Edited by Lady Celeste

• 2 weeks later...

No announcements only rumors so far. I'm sure most everyone has heard that Apple is planning a store and 12th & Midtown. A 1010 sales rep also said that they were in negotiations with Loius Vuitton. I think if this happened it would be major coup. They could easily choose Perimeter or Alpharetta for a second Atl store and this would help to brand Midtown as an upscale shopping district. Also Equinox, an upscale athletic club out of NY is said to be going into 12th & Midtown. I've heard other rumors but those are the only ones I would put any stock into. I haven't heard anything specific to Viewpoint since Urban Outfitters which of course chose Poncey-Highland.

I think the crucial thing right now is for the existing buildings (Colony Square, Campanile & 999 Peachtree) to proceed with their street-level redevelopment plans. Thats the only way we'll have anywhere near enough critical mass to sustain this kind of retail in the short term IMO.

In other news...

-W Midtown is open for business featuring Bliss Spa, Whiskey Bar and Spice Market restaurant

-The Atlanta historical society voted to sell the parking lots behind the Margaret Mitchell House to Jamestown Properties where they are planning a mixed-use project with 650 underground parking spaces, enough to provide parking for patrons of the Midtown Mile.

-Onyx is back. :shok: Apparently they've settled their legal problems with Blue Med Spa, redesigned the building (slightly), and once again put the project out for bid.

Edited by Martinman