Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Yes....Closings have begun, and the first residents have moved in the building. One of my clients was #7 be move in! They are having the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony followed by the Grand Opening Party on Thursday. The building, especially the amenities, are a "kick up" from their last building, and really have some great benefits to the new homeowners.

Early site work has been spotted on the site of 77 5th street. It seems that they already have signed tenants for the building.

23051682980125e908f6et9.jpg

Yeah, soil testing / drilling work was taking place today. Beautiful building!

Back at the 7th Street and West Peachtree Academy of Medicine building, survey work was taking place with word that Georgia Tech might somehow be involved. Unconfirmed report, of course.

Speaking of GT, anyone hear what happened at tonight's Midtown Alliance DRC meeting on GT Crum & Forster demolition permit?

Here's a couple of different renderings of Metropolitan Center. Apparently they are actively seeking an anchor tenant in order to start this project.

Metropolitan1.jpg

Metropolitan2.jpg

WOW!! I never knew that was going up... my goodness at this rate, Atlanta will be like a more vibrant version of NYC. In my opinion what draws me to Atlanta is the newness and modernized characteristics of the skyline. It's very bright and creates a very positive mood for the area as opposed to the dreariness of the 19th and early 20th century skyscrapers in NYC. AND the city has a LOT of trees.

But yea... this would also explain why there was a huge crane in that immediate area. I haven't been in Atlanta for a while now... (sightseeing like I used to do)... Atlanta is probably the only city that would make a resident feel like a newcomer in a matter of months.

Yeah, soil testing / drilling work was taking place today. Beautiful building!

I went by there today and was just about to post the same thing. I guess it could still be a while before actual construction.

In other news....

the Business Chronicle reports the Hanover Co, which develops apartments nationwide, will handle the 20-story apartment tower at Metropolitan Center called Ashton Midtown.

Tivoli's 25-story apartment project on 13th street expects to break ground in December.

Edited by Martinman

Early site work has been spotted on the site of 77 5th street. It seems that they already have signed tenants for the building.

23051682980125e908f6et9.jpg

Have to agree with Lady Celeste. That's a great looking building. Really would add something to the skyline. I can't wait to see what it looks like when all is said and done.

The 710 Peachtree apartment building has been purchased by Lane Co. They are planning an $8 million renovation including a new street-level facade and new name for the building.

Interesting considering that building already has some active street level retail tenants, most notably Baraonda. However, other than the Baraonda portion, the facade is a big dated and uninviting. It would be great to hear plans for a street-level retail reno/addition to the building across the street - Nationsbank Midtown Center (715 Peachtree).

Edited by j.midtown

A couple updates to fill you all in.....at least on what I know.

1) Parking Lot behind Academy of Medicine: GATech has nothing to do with this. There is a prelim proposal for a 15 story condo building that would have townhome style residences on the Cypress Street facade...altho this is in conflict with Blueprint Midtown. Academy of Medicine has been preserved with TDR's (Transfer of Development Rights). Needless to say, this development is years away with the current state of the real estate market.

2) St. Marks....Tried to pull a fast one on the Midtown residents by going straight to the City of Atlanta to get a demolition permit to tear down the three historic homes behind the church. Thankfully, the systems DO work, and the City Planning Department stopped 'em in their tracks. St. Marks has failed to persuse historic status for the church, enabling them to get TDR's as well, which they could sell development rights and have monies they need to expand the church. Many hours were invested by the Land Use Committee of MNA (Midtown Neighbors' Association) only to have the church pull this stunt. And then they wonder why some residents of Midtown don't think the churches really have the neighborhood in mind at all as they proceed with their own plans. Shame on St. Marks, and I'll certainly never worship there again.....

3) At the DRC meeting this week, the DRC echoed what everyone has been telling GATech all along....Preserve the Crum & Forester building on Spring Street. The only person who did not vote is the GATech rep...everyone else was against it. It's now up to our City Leaders to do the right thing and stop the process. We shall see.

^Nice find. Now we finally have a name for the project. I guess they were in no hurry to begin sales given the market conditions. On the other hand, some of the smaller projects have done really well.

I noticed this that they've started installing some silverish glass at the Loews hotel, unlike the blue in the rendering (webcam). The sales people at 1010 say that they will soon reveal the first "exciting" retailers at 12th & Midtown so we'll see.

Edited by Martinman

^ Thanks for the update Thom, good to hear that the homes have been saved - for now & GA Tech has been CLEARLY TOLD that most do not want the Crum & Forester building destroyed.

The Georgia Tech Foundation recently posted their position on the Crum and Forster Building.

http://www.gtf.gatech.edu/

Can't help but wonder what their best thinking - and timetable - are now on developing that area now said to be eventual Technology Square expansion.

Separately, anyone know more about nearby Hotel Palomar on West Peachtree beyond Spring 2009 Opening?

The Georgia Tech Foundation recently posted their position on the Crum and Forster Building.

http://www.gtf.gatech.edu/

I don't understand why Tech is so intent on tearing the building down now. Apparently they don't even have any specific plans.

Why not just sit on it for a while and see if you can't come up with some plans that would at least preserve the facade and the lobby? We've seen countless instances of developers tearing down buildings for some vague scheme that fails to even get out of the ground. Look at that Cousins debacle at 615 Peachtree. A beautiful and functional mid-20th century building converted into another vacant lot.

I'm delighted that they intend to expand Tech Square (eventually) but tearing that building down makes no sense. The building was used as office space very recently.

Didn't someone say that Tech also bought the property at the NE corner of Spring and 5th street?

Isn't that already part of Centergy?

A while back, I believe someone posted that the West Peachtree & 5th facing old Dialysis clinic building and parking lot and the next door Capstone building and parking lot, are both owned by Georgia Tech.

If true, this provides them the full Midtown block of West Peachtree to Spring, west to east and Biltmore (Place?) to 5th, north to south.

Can anyone kindly confirm if this is accurate and, if so, what the GT Master plan /and timetable presently anticipate for this nearby to Crum and Forster block?

For those who don't make it to Midtown often, I snapped a quick cellphone picture of 1010 midtown and the second phase of the project across the street. 1010 is pretty close to completion. Also, you can somewhat makeout the remodeled W Hotel in the background. (It's the black building)

On a side note, I wish Atlanta would burry all the powerlines in Midtown. They're already tearing up all the streets to update the sewer system.

0709081601.jpg

Edited by GaTechGuy