Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

With respect to nearby restaurants, at West Peachtree & 7th street there's the former "Acapulco Grille and Cantina" restaurant, previous location for "Thad and Joe's". Before deck and patio were added, back in the 90's, this same 889 West Peachtree location was the site of " A Taste of New Orleans" restaurant. Superb restaunrant for many years before owner operated left Atlanta.

Check www.westpeachtree.com if anyone wants a 4,000 sq ft free standing building for food service.

Great location and part of the next door building right at that corner is also for rent; office space or retail

Sure be nice to have that place cleaned up - especially with large deck and outside patio.

And just 2 blocks from GT Acuity Plaza - and directly across the street from 300 room Hotel Palomar!!

The AJC had a picture of the rebuilt plaza at Tech Square. Once those trees fill out a little it'll be a very nice outdoor dining spot. It would be better if there were restaurants directly on the plaza.

image_7525694.jpg

I really do like that plaza at GA Tech's Square. Everytime I drive through that area, I always see alot of people. It definitely lends itself towards an urban atmosphere.

Also, Jim, in regards to that spot across from the Palomar. I agree with you that that is a very nice spot to lock down. My husband and I will be in the area tomorrow (the sales office of the Atlantic) and I will encourage him to take a gander at it. We are not in the restaurant business. I would wager, however, that the right alignment with a great chief, that place could really be a hit.

Speaking of that area...I wonder why the GDOT can't do for the 10th Street bridge what it did for the 5th Street bridge. It would seem to me that that bridge would also serve as a gateway for the Techies as well. I think an even wider treatment to this bridge would work wonders for the area.

A luxury hotel in the BOA Plaza tower? Awesome! http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...age_tab_newstab

News likemthat is always good, but...

Aren't there a lot of better (for Atlanta) places for that luxury hotel than inside an existing office building a tad outside the primary corridor?

How about Dewberry on Peachtree property?

Across from High Museum?

14th street where Symphony was to be built?

Cousins property on West Peachtree & 8th?

Kim King Associates property on Spring St across from Palomar with great expressway visibility?

Jamestown West Peachtree @ 10th?

FOX Plaza on Peachtree?

...and the beat goes on.

We're lucky to live in such a great city!!

Good luck to everybody!

A luxury hotel in the BOA Plaza tower? Awesome! http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...age_tab_newstab

Ummmmmmm, hum.....okay....let's see here. A Five Star Hotel at the Bank of America Plaza? Okay....ummmm....yeah....okay....hummmm. If they were going to do that then why not just build a new structure closer to the road fronting Peachtree with the motor court inside...a la Mansion on Peachtree...or at least put a high quality restuarant on that Peachtree frontage. My only concern is that Five Star hotels tend to clump together in whatever city. The Ritz Carlton Downtown does not have all five star/diamond designation like the Ritz Carlton Buckhead. Now the Four Season is the highest ranking hotel currently and I feel a five star hotel would be better suited closer to that establishment. Perhaps five star os over shooting the area. Let the area gradually grow into such an esteemed designation.

I'm racking my brain to think of a five star flag that is not currentlly in Atlanta or planned that could go in the location. 16 floors seem to keep it from being a boutique establishment. I would much rather them add a boutique hotel fronting Peachtree St....

It's about protecting a real estate investment that they paid too much more. The building is likely going to have vacancy issues in the future, and this is a way to take some space off the market while at the same time boosting the cache of the building without building an expensive 2nd structure on the site.

That said, I do think 5 stars is overshooting it for the site, and the mere fact that the building doen't really lend itself to a hotel, so they are going to have a tough time building premium room arangements in such a large square building. Look at all other 5 star hotels in the market....THIN buildings.

Shangri La would be one 5-Star hotel not in the market. I also don't think their is a Conrad.

From the Business Chronicle...

1400 Peachtree is considering two concepts. One would be similar to Time Warner Center in NY with two towers. The other option is a single tower of at least 40 stories and up to 70 stories which could become the tallest building in Atlanta. All is contingent o the economy, securing financing, and signing an anchor tenant. If everything went as planned, the project would still not break ground for 18 months. An architect at SOM says "This will have a skyline presence" reguardless of which option is chosen.

A Hilton Garden Inn / Homewood Suites dual branded hotel is being planned by an Alpharetta hotel developer. The building will be 11-stories tall at 10th and Williams streets and will have seperate entrances for the two concepts. Construction is expected to start in twelve months.

Edited by Martinman

It's about protecting a real estate investment that they paid too much more. The building is likely going to have vacancy issues in the future, and this is a way to take some space off the market while at the same time boosting the cache of the building without building an expensive 2nd structure on the site.

That said, I do think 5 stars is overshooting it for the site, and the mere fact that the building doen't really lend itself to a hotel, so they are going to have a tough time building premium room arangements in such a large square building. Look at all other 5 star hotels in the market....THIN buildings.

Shangri La would be one 5-Star hotel not in the market. I also don't think their is a Conrad.

Auuuuhhh yes, the Conrad. I had not considered that flag. I think the Shangri La was being floated at another yet to be revealed development further north in Midtown. I would prefer the Shangri La in it's own building. An article in the AJC also mention the Walsdorf-Astoria.

I do understand the owners of the building wanting to limit office space in their tower. It's a relatively smart move although that still will not totally alleviate the office space issue. In a way I think the mixed use tower is the wave of the future for a while. In the case of the BOA tower, I would think that transforming this venerable office building into a five star hotel would be a stretch though. I would much rather see a decent four star and a nice restaurant to get rid of that plaza out front.

If I was a scout for a hoteliery, I probably would not put this at the top of my list for new locations in the Atlanta market. Clearly not if I represented a five star hotel. 1400 Peachtree in "Uptown," perhaps Dewberry's 10th Street development or a 14th Street locale would be at the top of my list. While I think a hotel option would be interesting in the south's tallest building, a five star would be a bit much. If rumors prove true, the BOA tower may not retain the south's tallest much longer anyway. There could be an even taller building on the horizon in Atlanta...and that would be worth waiting for.

Auuuuhhh yes, the Conrad. I had not considered that flag. I think the Shangri La was being floated at another yet to be revealed development further north in Midtown. I would prefer the Shangri La in it's own building. An article in the AJC also mention the Walsdorf-Astoria.

I do understand the owners of the building wanting to limit office space in their tower. It's a relatively smart move although that still will not totally alleviate the office space issue. In a way I think the mixed use tower is the wave of the future for a while. In the case of the BOA tower, I would think that transforming this venerable office building into a five star hotel would be a stretch though. I would much rather see a decent four star and a nice restaurant to get rid of that plaza out front.

If I was a scout for a hoteliery, I probably would not put this at the top of my list for new locations in the Atlanta market. Clearly not if I represented a five star hotel. 1400 Peachtree in "Uptown," perhaps Dewberry's 10th Street development or a 14th Street locale would be at the top of my list. While I think a hotel option would be interesting in the south's tallest building, a five star would be a bit much. If rumors prove true, the BOA tower may not retain the south's tallest much longer anyway. There could be an even taller building on the horizon in Atlanta...and that would be worth waiting for.

The 7th street at Peachtree - (is that Hines property across the street from Starbucks?) - or at 6th and Peachtree parking lot across from CVS, those two parcels seem to be very well placed and generally under the radar as you hear/read about superb development locations.

7th street with Viewpoint, Spire, ECCO, Palomar and GA Tech taking over Academy of Medicine could be particularly interesting over the next few years.

Anyone hear about: 1) preliminary Tech plans for Academy of Medicine or 2) either the 7th & Ptree

or 3) 6th at Peachtree parcels?

Out of curiosity - why are you concerned about the 'usage'? I think the healthiest office tower, more common in NYC, is the mixed use tower that contains retail, office, hospitality & residential. I'm totally for an office tower owner to mix it up, in fact I'll go further - I think all the office towers in Atlanta would benefit in adding more residential units in addition to office. Obviously there is a cost - but it is unlikely for an office tower to be fully occupied, so why not have a parachute for all those empty units. Yes, there is a cost - but the cost of conversion offsets empty floors and of course the cost of reconverting is offset by having new tenants.

Not to press this much further, but is there a rational response to why you want it to remain purely office, or are you emotionally tied to the fact that it is all office? I'm not trying to be critical of your view, I'm just trying to understand if there is some detriment to you or the city if this become a mixed-use building?

I do agree that it's not the optimal space for a hotel, especially 5-stars, but the consequences/rewards are to the owners of the building and not me or the city, so I see no reason to be opposed.

From the Business Chronicle...

1400 Peachtree is considering two concepts. One would be similar to Time Warner Center in NY with two towers. The other option is a single tower of at least 40 stories and up to 70 stories which could become the tallest building in Atlanta. All is contingent o the economy, securing financing, and signing an anchor tenant. If everything went as planned, the project would still not break ground for 18 months. An architect at SOM says "This will have a skyline presence" reguardless of which option is chosen.

A Hilton Garden Inn / Homewood Suites dual branded hotel is being planned by an Alpharetta hotel developer. The building will be 11-stories tall at 10th and Williams streets and will have seperate entrances for the two concepts. Construction is expected to start in twelve months.

There's a good looking rendering of these dual branded Hilton hotels at 10th and Williams at the link below.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...32&page=425

Pretty good thread over there, too.

Anyone hear any new news on 7-acre Spring and 8th parcels represented by Cushman and Wakefield or

about exciting Ga Tech plans for Academy of Medicine at West Peachtree and 7th?

:)

This will be a great development for that corner. For one, it's right off the interstate exit for 10th Street. It is also pushed up to the interstate, only seperated by Williams St annnnnnnnnnnnd, it bridges the walk over the interstate from Georgia Tech to Midtown. This is a great development. I am also glad that it is adding more people to the Midtown area. Something that is in great need. YAY!!!!!! Any development in this climate is a good thing.

Anyway here is a picture for this site.

hiltonhh6.jpg

Not earth shattering in design but it brings people in the mix and it looks as if it has space for street level retail. Maybe one day the GDOT can give the 10th Street bridge the same treatment as it did the 5th Street bridge.

This will be a great development for that corner. For one, it's right off the interstate exit for 10th Street. It is also pushed up to the interstate, only seperated by Williams St annnnnnnnnnnnd, it bridges the walk over the interstate from Georgia Tech to Midtown. This is a great development. I am also glad that it is adding more people to the Midtown area. Something that is in great need. YAY!!!!!! Any development in this climate is a good thing.

Anyway here is a picture for this site.

Not earth shattering in design but it brings people in the mix and it looks as if it has space for street level retail. Maybe one day the GDOT can give the 10th Street bridge the same treatment as it did the 5th Street bridge.

I was quite pleased to hear about this new plan for that parcel because I think it's a far better program for that location than the previous small, retail-only concept. Hotels are a great fit there and those particular brands will help fill out a market segment with the higher-end properties going up over on Peachtree.

Glad the location is being developed, but I have to differ on the design. That is one ugly building.

GRguy...this is not specifically to you or anyone. I'm just giving some thoughts on the design and why we are so happy to even see it come to fruition.

Perhaps the design is not going to win any design challenges but in a day in time when just to have this odd lot developed is an urban blessing. You may be familiar with the location. It's almost in that wierd spot where you are surprised that anyone would build there. I'm glad that the developers are taking that chance. If we think that for one minute that every building put up will be earth shattering in design then we are going to be some unhappy campers.

I think to the regular Joe Sixpack, having people milling out along the street and bridging activity down to Atlanta's river...albeit it's a 14-16 lane interstate...is a plus. When I think of beautiful skylines of the world, there are some ugly buildings mixed in to the collection of beautiful buildings. Together they all make for a tour de force of the visual senses.

As people ooze their way along the Downtown Connector...take that Venice, our canals are bigger...I don't think they will look over and say "wow, that's an ugly 18 story midrange hotel building." Their eyes would have probably been actively engaged by the taller Midtown or Atlantic Station clusters immediately to the north and they will be preparing for a full fledge visual celebration with the Downtown cluster.

I think our...Atlantan's...celebration of this new addition has less to do with the height, the materials of the building or the design per se. I am just excited that the average citizen will get an added benefit to the urban experience in that area. After all, this is what we are shooting for in many southern cities. I have been to other cities and there are some hideous buildings mized in with some masterpieces. In time the building will blend in or be over shadowed by proposals with greater height and national architectural acclaim...read about the proposed 70 story 1400 Peachtree development. I have no doubts that this building will get a neighbor on the ajacent lot that will be taller and prettier.

We need more people on the streets. If me having to tolerate a building that may put function over form is a way to do so; give me that any day to some visual delight that empties out at the end of the day...with people heading home to their suburban enclaves. It appears that there are some street level treatments. If I recall correctly, the Midtown Alliance would require street level retail on this parcel. This adds people to the streets. It makes the transition from GA Tech to Midtown proper less daunting...as if crossing a 150 ft "river" was not enough, lol...we are just delighted for that.

Again, it may not win any design awards and the quality of material may not match up to that of the St Regis in Buckhead....neither will prices for that matter...I think it serves it's purpose and that is after all to add hotel rooms to the city and inadvertedly to enhance the urban experience of Atlanta.....and to that I say YAY!!!!!

That's why we call it Urbanplanet.org.......

Well said, m'Lady.

Still stand by my previous comment. I would rather wait and have a great building than a city filled with mediocre designs. Atlanta has "settled" far too often. It is a great city and deserves better on this location that will be seen by millions of people for many decades to come...