Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Maybe the Urban Outfitters at Viewpoint rumor has some truth to it.

This is from an article in Women's Wear Daily on the Midtown Mile.

"There's opportunity there, for one or two more Urban Outfitter stores", said chief financial officer John Keyes. "Volume is always above company average, the profile is strong, and we're more prevalent in street-front locations", said Keyes.

WWD article pdf

Edited by Martinman

My Midtown Atlanta experience....

I had the pleasure of being the tour guide of Midtown for an out of town client about two weeks ago. One of the places we visited was the Viewpoint sales office. I must say that Novare is definitely improving on their interior features. My client liked (not loved) the model home. I can't get over the exposed concrete, but Novare appeals to a different clientele than myself I suppose. The ground level retail is a great selling point. Also having a Publix within a quick walking distance is a plus. We also visited the sales office of Trump Towers. Ian, the salesperson, is a blast. The location seems a little off from all the action but once the MetLife development gets going perhaps this area will also turn into it's own community. Since I will not talk about real estate transactions on here, all I will say is that there will soon be another intown resident within a year. :thumbsup: Maybe longer depending on completion date.

Overall I found Midtown to be pleasant and an easy walk. This is coming from a woman in a skirt suit, 4 inch heels (please do not try this at home or on the street) and pearls. The staff at the Starbucks on Peachtree were extremely nice and quick. Maybe I looked like an outsider, lol. I feel that Viewpoint, 1010 Peachtree and all of the Midtown Mile improvements will further enhance the Midtown experience. I was pleasantly surprised. Although I know this area is not the epitome of urban living, if I can walk it then anyone can...because you will rarely catch me in public with flats on. I feel this area....while not full of tall buildings (relatively speaking of course), this area has so much promise.

I will say this though....and I know this will cause darts to be thrown at me. The plaza in front of the Federal Reserve Bank Building was a godsend. After spending some time in the Starbucks, it was nice to stroll casually over to the plaza to catch a breeze. I know that these type plazas in the middle of a burgeoning urban area can be an enigma but for me it was pleasant. I think that once the Midtown Mile is nearing completion as invisioned, this space will become a nice meeting/resting point. I really hope Cousins hurry with the redevelopment of Peachtree and North. That space seems quite odd. They would have been better to leave the building already there until they were ready to move forward.

Okay, that's it for me. I have no major development announcements or anything else to say. My brain is fried from preparing for a major and complex open house but I wanted to contribute to the Atlanta forum since I have been missing in action for a while now. :scared:

Oh I don't think anyone is against plaza's except when they're nothing more than extra sidewalk or aren't of much use to people.

I was struck yesterday by how on a nice day how many people you see out and about and not just on Peachtree. Midtown is definately a work in progress but all of the ingredients are already here.

And nice to hear from you Lady Celeste.

I will say this though....and I know this will cause darts to be thrown at me. The plaza in front of the Federal Reserve Bank Building was a godsend. After spending some time in the Starbucks, it was nice to stroll casually over to the plaza to catch a breeze. I know that these type plazas in the middle of a burgeoning urban area can be an enigma but for me it was pleasant. I think that once the Midtown Mile is nearing completion as invisioned, this space will become a nice meeting/resting point.

Hi Celeste! Glad to hear things are going well for you.

I don't think the Federal Reserve Building is bad at all. Buildings in the monumental style often lose some of their panache when they're pulled right up to the street.

I think that plaza is great because it fits in with the street and local area. The plaza's that annoy me are the ones that appear to hide from the street and take up space with no value to the general public.

The one they're building over at 999 Peachtree is a good example. I walk by there all the time and it just wasn't inviting.

^Do you have the new Luxe rendering or know where it can be found?

So far this pdf file has the only new rendering that I've seen. There was a helicopter hovering over the site taking pictures of the views last week so I would expect the website to be up and running soon.

Edit: Here it is

luxe.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Here's a pic from 1986 showing One Atlantic Center under construction. You can see the old Atlantic Steel mill across the interstate and the Arts Center Tower which I had no idea was that old. I assume it must've been one of the first highrise residentials in Midtown.

1180ptree-1987.JPG

It sure looked lonely out there all by itself!

Here's an article from Shopping Center Business on 12th & Midtown.

At the Heart of Midtown pdf

Shirley Gouffon (Senior VP of Selig Enterprises) has done a study of all top tenants in the nation and discovered that there are over 150 world-class tenants who are not yet in the Atlanta market.

"A lot of these tenants prefer a street-front location," says Gouffon. "A number of them are also looking for a major flagship presence in the Southeast."

"We want to bring in world recognized labels. We've been incredibly pleased with the reception that 12th & Midtown is getting from these exciting retail tenants."

Edited by Martinman

Heh. I remember when it was in Buckhead, in the Disco Kroger shopping center. Somehow the city managed to survive that, too.

Is that where it used to be ? I lived in Atlanta from '83-86, out in Norcross actually, and used to come in to clubs like Confetti, Limelight, Club 112 etc... and when I moved back in 1999, there's no way I would've been able to find where the used to be. I don't think I ever drove so I had no concept of where these places actually were.

I'm putting my money on at least some of these places moving to the West side since there's still industrial-type areas around where noise isn't an issue. There's no way you could put Vision in the bottom of a hotel or condo tower without investing some serious money to prevent the bass thumping from keeping the residents awake at night.

Down in my neighborhood, I've heard that Loca Luna & McCray's will be closing at the end of the year and while McCray's apparently has a deal to move back into Viewpoint, I can't see Loca Luna doing so.

Out of curiosity, exactly what color will the glass be on 12th and Midtown Phase II? Will it actually be the purple shown in the renderings?

We'll probably get a better sense of that once more detailed architectural renderings are released. They are bound to be some changes as it gets closer to construction.

Is that where it used to be ? I lived in Atlanta from '83-86, out in Norcross actually, and used to come in to clubs like Confetti, Limelight, Club 112 etc... and when I moved back in 1999, there's no way I would've been able to find where the used to be. I don't think I ever drove so I had no concept of where these places actually were.

Wow they were before my time, but those clubs are legendary in Atlanta including 112 in its former life.

Is that where it used to be ? I lived in Atlanta from '83-86, out in Norcross actually, and used to come in to clubs like Confetti, Limelight, Club 112 etc...

Yeah, it was next door to Rupert's, which had previously been Limelight. I really miss Rupert's -- there aren't many (any?) places where you can go and hear a big show band like the Rupert's Orchestra. That's how Disco Kroger got it's name, of course -- the people from the clubs would come in there looking for munchies at 2:00 after a hard night of partying.

I agree about the Westside becoming a major venue for the clubs. Downtown could work, but there's more space out on the Westside.