Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I think they new additions look a little off because they are only renderings while the rest of the building is real and because the plaza IMO makes it look incomplete. I have somewhat of an opposite view that every square inch possible should be converted to retail along the retail corridor if it is to someday become a successful shopping district. In fact I think the Midtown Alliance should continue to carefully study other successful urban shopping districts and continue to refine the zoning accordingly.

By the way, I read in the Business Chronicle that Transwestern is in fact planing to start construction this year. They also report that Equinox has canceled plans to expand at Campanile and at SOB due to the economy.

Edited by Martinman

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the latest renderings for International Center at Centergy. The building will be 12 stories and 240,000 sf of office space specifically targeted for consulates, trade offices (there are now 60+ such offices in Atlanta), and international businesses. The target for completion is 2011.

Intlcenter1.png

Intlcenter3.png

• 2 weeks later...

The AJC has an article on the unfortunate timing the new retail space in Midtown and the difficulty in getting tenants to commit. One glimmer of good news is that 12th & Midtown is in negotiations (still) with two tenants for 20,000 sf of space on the Peachtree frontage.

Envisioned more than a decade ago by the business group Midtown Alliance and named the Midtown Mile, the proposal was to create a high-end district stretching along Atlanta’s most famous street, running from the proud lady on the south, the Fox Theatre, to the artsy doyenne on the north, the High Museum.

But 10 years later, the district still isn’t ready for its debutante ball.

Retailers — stricken by a deep recession and cash-strapped consumers — have scattered.

Steve Baile, senior vice president of Daniel Corp.’s Atlanta operations, is part of the development team at 12th & Midtown, a mega-complex that will cover a four-block area near Peachtree and 11th Street. He won’t be going to the International Council of Shopping Centers show this week in Las Vegas. The company had hoped to make a big announcement at the show. Instead, it could come this summer.

Economy slows big plans for Peachtree Street shopping district

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Nice photos.

There was a story in the Business Chronicle about Crate and Barrel's new concept CB2 that is scouting Atlanta for locations and 12th & Midtown did a presentation for them. Midtown really needs an anchor store to commit to really get things rolling - like maybe Macy's new smaller urban store.

• 3 weeks later...

The first Peachtree-fronting retailer to open in a Midtown Mile development debuted Monday this week with Clear, the new high-speed wireless (WiMAX) internet provider, opening in the south corner of Viewpoint (Peachtree and 6th). Atlanta is now one of, if not, the largest wireless hotspots in the world with 1200 sq.miles of coverage.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Business Chronicle confirms Crate and Barrel's new concept CB2 will open a 14,000 sf store in the 12th & Midtown development next summer. This is HUGE for Midtown as it is the first major national retailer to commit to opening in the planned shopping district. Other locations for the chain thus far include SoHo in N.Y., Chicago’s Lincoln Ave, San Francisco’s Union Square and L.A.’s Sunset Boulevard.

Edited by Martinman

This is excellent news for the burgeoning Midtown Mile. The implications of such a retailer opening in this corridor is huge. I am also glad to see that it is a product that is not offered throughtout metro Atlanta. In order to be competitive, the Midtown Mile will have to court retailers that are fresh and unique. It is quite apparent that the developers of 12th & Midtown are on the job. When I am in town, I go through that area often and I must say that the look...although it is not totally finished...of the development is top notch and the type of urbanity that the Midtown neighborhood needs.

I also like the fact that Midtown is setting up its own identity in retail and housing stock. SoHo does not compete with the Upper East Side and neither should Midtown Mile compete with Buckhead. This retailer is very appropiate for the Midtown market and I am quite pleased.

I don't really buy into the idea that Midtown retail competes with Buckhead. I mean of course it does in a broad sense being in the same city but Midtown retail will be geared primarily toward Midtown residents just like Perimeter Mall is for Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area residents. The distance from Lenox to Perimeter is only slightly more than the distance From Lenox to 12th street. Its just that the population of intown Atlanta has only recently begun reaching the point where it becomes attractive to retailers. Once Midtown retail gains some traction, I would not at all be surprised to see some of the same or similar stores that are in Buckhead set up shop in the Midtown.

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

The Business Chronicle reports that Atlanta's largest law firm, Alston & Bird, is considering proposals from several developers for a new tower that would be about 500,000 to 700,000 square feet. Three developers are pitching four separate sites for the possible new tower.

1400 Peachtree - proposed by Shailendra group & Jamestown Properties. Cousins, Atlanta's biggest developer, is now a partner in this project.

12th & Midtown Phase III - proposed by Daniel Corp.

70 17th Street - the office component of the Metropolitan Center development proposed by Daniel Corp.

Trump towers - Pope & Land is negotiating to purchase the site of the proposed Trump towers where they would develop the new office tower. Its not known if this means Trump towers is dead (probably) or if it would now be a combo office/condo development.

If Alston & Bird decides on a new tower, construction would need to begin in 2010.

article

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

12th and Midtown seems like a great project. I went on a tour of the new Loews Hotel the other day and was amazed by the sleek interiors and the incredible views of Atlanta. It really seems like this project has a great "lifestyle" to it. I posted some pictures when I went on the tour the other day of the Loews Hotel.

approved1.th.jpgapproved2ellingtonballr.th.jpgimg1530s.th.jpg

• 3 months later...

Shocking new development proposal from the Business Chronicle...

A developer is proposing a luxury hotel project on the site of the One Museum Place project across from the High Museum.

James plans a 250-room, five-star hotel on the site of Wieland’s proposed One Museum Place condominium project at 1301 Peachtree St.

The mixed-use project also calls for street-level retail space and 24 residences above the hotel. He is also planning a separate condo tower with 50 units. James is in talks with three international hotel brands as a flag for the hotel, which he plans to open in spring 2012.

As with the One Museum Place proposal, this project will have an art gallery for John Wieland's personal art collection.

Here's the kicker...

He said a European hedge fund, which he did not name, is fully funding the $350 million project.

Link:Developer plans $350M luxury hotel near High Museum

Edited by Martinman

Shocking new development proposal from the Business Chronicle...

A developer is proposing a luxury hotel project on the site of the One Museum Place project across from the High Museum.

As with the One Museum Place proposal, this project will have an art gallery for John Wieland's personal art collection.

Here's the kicker...

Link:Developer plans $350M luxury hotel near High Museum

I know! =) ...and I am hoping that gets built. Besides... I always thought something was missing in the North Midtown area (around Arts Center). It needs a good hotel. Plus, that would be a straight shot via MARTA to the Airport, Downtown, and Buckhead/Lenox.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Given the state of the local economy, I don't think we should expect anything too big but the 12th & Midtown group is saying that there will be new retail announcements in the next month or so.

Crossing my fingers for some good news on the retail announcements. It looks like STK has applied for a permit to finish the interior of the space... so it seems to still be a go, but probably won't open until Spring at the earliest.

Edited by nyxmike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10th Street in Midtown is about to get a makeover. The makeover will include all of 10th Street from Williams St. to Piedmont Ave. It should be finished by 2012. Projects like these go a long way in making the urban experience much more enjoyable. The 14th and 5th Street beautification projects did a world of wonder for those streets.

Read more here:

10th Street Beautification

10th Street in Midtown is about to get a makeover. The makeover will include all of 10th Street from Williams St. to Piedmont Ave. It should be finished by 2012. Projects like these go a long way in making the urban experience much more enjoyable. The 14th and 5th Street beautification projects did a world of wonder for those streets.

Read more here:

10th Street Beautification

Yes they have, but I wish they would work with Georgia Power to bury the power lines. It would be worth the extra expense.