Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

The Biz Chronicle reports that the 12th & Midtown team is planning on breaking ground by this fall on a 22-story 316-unit apartment tower known as 77 12th Street. The apartment building will be across Crescent Ave from 1010 Midtown on the site the developers were calling Phase 4 (Phase 3 being the now stalled second office tower on Peachtree).

58488559.jpg

96315751.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Construction has started on a new 11-story hotel project in Midtown. It will be a dual-branded Hilton Garden Inn / Homewood Suites at the corner of Williams and 10th.

hgihomewoodmidtown.jpg

Correction:

Construction had not started. The developers did have all permits to begin construction at the time of this story. At last report, this project is also planning to break ground this summer and finish by first quarter 2013.

Edited by Martinman

Just as I was saying, Novare is apparently planning this 23-story apartment building called Skyhouse. It will be located at the NW corner of 12th and West Peachtree, not far from the 12th & Midtown project. Their DRI application says that they are targeting October of this year for a construction start.

If all three developers' plans are successful, we could have three cranes up in Midtown by early next year. Who would've thought that was possible a week ago?

skyhouse.jpg

Edited by Martinman

I will finish up with the Midtown Community. What exciting news coming out of this community in the last few weeks. The duel branded hotel was a plus to the area. It is stretching pedestrians right up to the Downtown Connector. Then we get the news from the developers of 12th & Midtown. Putting a residential tower on Crescent and 12th Sreett will stretch the pedestrian experience from Peachtree St. over another block. This will also go a long way in added people to the streets and clients for area businesses. Now Novare has announced plans to add a 20+ story apartment tower to the West Peachtree St/12th Street. What I like about these announcements are that they are not just trying to reach for the stars but add to the living environment. The scale of the towers will only enhance the area. I'm thrilled to see that a current parking lot (Novare parcel) will be turned into a place where people live and do commerce.

The Midtown community in this area is turning into quite the community. I also read that Intermezzo is opening up at 12th & Midtown. What an amazing coup. This will be a definite draw for that area and the area at large. There has been a steep increase in the need for apartment living. These towers in their current heights will not flood the market. The also do much for infilling. One main gripe is that once off Peachtree, development falls off. This is a start to the fix of that concern. I'm super excited.

• 4 weeks later...

In development news:

Green roof, foodie market planned for City Hall East site!

This has to be some of the most significant news this year in Atlanta concerning the growing urban environment in the City of Atlanta. It has been much anticipated and needed. Jamestown Properties...with their deep pockets and flawless record of developing quality properties...has closed on City Hall East! Hip hip hooray. This is truly a jewel that has just been waiting for someone with a vision to come in and rescue. We our wait is over. The announcement was made today and there were some great excerpts in today's Atlanta Journal and Constitution. A couple of the most notable were:

1)

The new owners of City Hall East are planning an organic garden, a "green" roof top and a foodie market akin to the Ferry Building in San Francisco or Pike Place Market in Seattle for the historic structure.

2)

Jamestown plans to demolish the parking structure along Glen Iris Drive and put about 2,000 parking spaces inside the 85-year-old building that once housed a Sears department store and "mail order" warehouse operation.

Many were concerned about how the parking would be address. Noone was wanting to see surface parking in that area. They are clearing land occupied now by parking decks for future development. This will go a long way in helping the urban fabric of the area. But most notable in my mind but not included in the article is:

3)The building is directly on the Beltline Corridor. It is also steps from the Old Fourth Ward Park.

What great news this presents to the Poncey/Old Fourth Ward area.

To read articles on the topic:

Jamestown purchases City Hall East

or

Jamestown buys City Hall East for $27M

• 2 weeks later...

More information is coming out about the planned residential rental towers in the Midtown market. (See pictures above). In the article it goes into more specifics about the unit count of each tower. More "roof tops" in the Midtown market bodes well for the growing retail/entertainment district in the area. It's also of interest to note that these developments are 3-4 blocks from Piedmont Park. That is definitely an added benefit.

The SkyHouse by Novare Group:

Sky House will include 320 residential units and parking for about 500 cars in a six-level parking deck. Novare Group is behind the proposal, according to documents given to the committee. It will include 8,400 square feet of retail space on the ground floor.

Yet Unnamed Project by Daniel Corp.:

The 22-story project unnamed in the documents will also have ground-level retail, 311 apartments and parking for 461 cars. Daniel Corp. of Birmingham and Selig Enterprises are behind it, according to the Birmingham Business Journal. Daniel Corp. is heavily invested in Midtown, including 1010 Midtown, which is a 35-story condo tower on Peachtree Street, and the company built the mixed use tower next to it.

It's of interest to note once again that bought projects are very close to Daniel's 12th & Midotwn Project as well as a Publix grocery store in Plaza Midtown.

To read the full article:

New Highrise Apartments

• 4 weeks later...

This is very exciting! After all these months of nothing on the up forum except new lenox store rumors. Im excited for a variety of reasons.

1). More apartment units in Midtown - which has been a huge criticism of the MA Blueprint plan lacking significant residential planning. Also, this may help keep my rent where it is since there is more competition. Also, part of the new economy that is to develop from the recession we are currently in (and this is not just an aspect of being in the recession, but actually part of the new era coming after) is a growth in the appeal of renting rather than buying. In today's 21st Century economy, the Baby Boomers are settling into their American dream, but the Millennials are going to be more rent-focused due to the fact that lifetime-careers seem to becoming something of the past. Millennials are expected to change careers every 3-5 years, including relocating as well. Owning a home, as great and stable as it may be, is going to be somewhat of a liability to this new generation of workers whose vertical mobility keeps them on the move. Its great to see that developers are now catching on (of course more are just doing so due to our current lending climate) but investing an entire mid-highrise building for rentals from the initial planning stages rather than as a mitigation strategy is very telling of what the future of housing and migration patterns will emerge. Very exciting.

2). It will be great to see cranes in midtown again!

3). Im also excited that these buildings are creeping closer and closer to the Arts Center MARTA station. Its about time that Atlanta starts focusing on increasing density at its train stations. Why on earth is there a station in Midtown with nothing except a few boutique midrises lining peachtree near it? Arts Center needs more density and if within two blocks is all we get right now, then Ill take it! Also, these developments will make West Peachtree a little less creepy which is good. Someday Atlanta will have a real TOD. Dont know when thatll be, but Im crossing my fingers.

The hotel thing though - while its going to be great for that current eyesore intersection, makes me think of a Taco Bell Pizza Hut KFC - and makes me laugh a little. I think its a bit corny and awkward, but again, itll add to the interstate view.

• Like 1

That was a great post Andre. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. I'm glad that we have actual development to discuss since this is Urbanplanet after all. If all we had to talk about were store openings I would just scream! Hahaha.

I do look forward to more residential development around the Arts Center and Midtown MARTA stations. I thought that the Arts Center Station was a TOD much like Lindbergh? I could be mistaken but if it's not then it should be designated as such.

Thats correct - I keep forgetting about the highrises near west peachtree. I usually access Arts Center from Peachtree which is the opposite vibe. I guess that to me, Atlanta may not have the ability to develop a true TOD since so many residents are single occupancy drivers. Lindbergh is probably as close as we have right now, but there is so much surface parking in the vicinity and with congested Piedmont right there it doesnt feel to transity lol.

• 1 month later...

77 12th Street to Break Ground in October

Daniel Corp. and Selig Enterprises have secured Northwestern Mutual as a debt and equity partner on the new tower at 12th Street and Crescent Avenue.

Construction on the more than 300-unit apartment building will start in October, said Steve Baile, a senior vice president with Daniel Corp., who leads its operations in Atlanta. The project, 77 12th Street, will take shape on a site across from the Irish pub and restaurant Ri Ra, one of several intown apartment projects developers have in the pipeline.

Business Chronicle

110617034304_77_2012th_20Street_20Front_0.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is great news Martinman. It's quite significant if one considers that these two developments could potentially add 600 people within a relatively small area. This bodes well for the burgeoning Midtown Mile. It also is great news because the more actual residence in the area, the more retail we will see. I wonder will the Publix at Plaza Midtown be sufficient for such a large number of new residents? At any rate, I am pleased to see these two moving forward as well as the dula hotel at the corner of Williams and 10th Sts. That development will add people in the general area as well.

It's good to see actual URBANplanet development going on.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Novare has filed an application with the Midtown Development Review Committee for a 23-story residential tower on 6th street side of the their Viewpoint project. Undoubtedly, these will be apartments and Novare seems to be pursuing this current strategy with the same zeal that they built condos. They also have one of these same "prototype" apartment projects on the way in Austin.

http://midtown.patch.com/articles/novare-looks-to-build-23-story-building-mixed-use-project-on-6th

compare the progress of 77 12th with Skyhouse

0426121615.jpg

Skyhouse

0426121613.jpg

Here we grow again!

Linking to Martinman's post above, Novare Group is planning a new 23 story apartment tower for the Midtown community. This will be in addition to the one they currently have under construction called Skyhouse and the 22 story 77 12th apartment building by Daniel Corp and Selig Enterprise. *See Above Post*. This is great news for the Midtown community as this developments will bring an additional 320+ residents to the growing residential population of the area. Based on Novare's speed with Skyhouse, I would not be surprised if this breaks ground fairly quickly. There has also been a good deal of retail and restaurant activity in the area as of late. With a relative walking distance to Piedmont Park as well as close access to MARTA and amenities, this location should be hit with the GenYers.

100%206th%20Street%20large*280.jpg?v=1

​The design is not earth shattering...in fact it looks alot like Skyhouse. The news and excitement here is in the number of new people it will put in the area.

This must be the rumored 3rd apartment tower that was said to be in the development pipeline a few months ago. As I said earlier, this is Novare's new strategy - repeating this "prototype" apartment building with minor variations and there will likely be more in other cities.

I agree with you on the positive of the added density that this will bring and it also removes a bit more vacant land from the Midtown landscape so I'm happy about that.

Edited by Martinman