Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Great picture Martinman. It is growing like a weed. Thank you for the update. From announcement to construction for this and 77 12th St was pretty quick. Also, that is a very nice angle to take this picture. You see Atlantic Station in the immediate background and in between 12 Atlantic Station and the BB&T building you can see parts of Vinings in the distance...and to the far right in the distance, I want to say that is Perimeter Center.

Its neither. The Skyhouse picture was taken from Metropolis looking NE. You wouldn't see Buckhead or Perimeter from that angle. The buildings on the left are on Paces Ferry & 285 and the ones on the right are near Cumberland.

The picture below was taken from Terminus in Buckhead so the angle is different but you can identify the same buildings from the Skyhouse photo.

10-12-07062a_edited-1.jpg

Edited by Martinman

One Museum Place 3.0?

The 1301 Peachtree site across from the High Museum, where John Wieland once planned a luxury condo tower, is once again in play. There are two offers for the site and Weiland expects to have a contract in the next 30 days. Developer Alvin James had a deal to buy the land two years ago where he planned his own version of One Museum Place but that deal fell through. James is again a bidder for the site and is proposing a $150 million, 30-story tower with a five-star, 150-room hotel, 70 luxury condos and 24 penthouses. He claims to have a deal with an intenational hotelier to flag the hotel and would like to break ground this year.

The other bidder was undisclosed but is described as a "well funded" public company with an office in Atlanta.

http://www.bizjourna...ty-in-play.html

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this time the building comes to fruition. It's a lovely location and the heart of the arts and culture community. I can't wait to see more details once the parcel is closed upon. I'm sure Mr. Wieland has his fingers crossed for a closure to the deal but we all have our fingers crossed for a very handsome building in a really vibrant location. Also, while 30 stories will not make a skyline splash, it is tall enough to stand out in that area as well as small enough to not tarnish the pleasant nature of the area. With Ansley Park mere steps away, this location's condos would be ideal for families.

• 3 weeks later...

I now understand why construction on this tower has been seemingly slow. The weight load of the parking deck will be immense with such an intricate amenities package. Quality takes time. I must say that for a rental residential building in a decent rental price range, the amenities will definitely be one of the top three selling points. Location, price range, closeness to Piedmont Park and views would rank high as well. I am also quite pleased with the base treatment. This will definitely add to an already vibrant area. It's very urban and adds nice pods for retail.

I have not seen the Skyhouse's amenities but the amenities of this tower seem to be in line with a for-purchase condo tower. The Skyhouse has shot up quite quickly. I was in town Father's Day weekend and was shocked at how it has made such a mark on the skyline. It will be nice to see the impact the recently announced tower on 6th St @ Juniper will make on the skyline as well. With so much going on in that area, we need a picture taker.

One kind of cool feature with Skyhouse is that the amenities will be on the roof of the tower.

I agree with you on the surprising impact of Skyhouse from the West. But come to think of it , there are hardly any buildings taller than 5 or 6 stories in that part of Midtown (West of Peachtree between 14th and 10th)

picture-uh=e098bd948a4368c34be8e38f702a169-ps=63685426674ac6f61434c569af3f1e5-Skyhouse-Midtown-1080-W-Peachtree-St-NW-Atlanta-GA-30309.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

There is news today of two potential new developments in Midtown, right across the from each other.

Emory Healthcare has filed plans for a 100,000 square-foot, cancer-treating proton facility with the Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC). The property, bounded by Peachtree, North, Ponce de Leon Avenue and Juniper Street, was the longtime home of 615 Peachtree.

$225M cancer-treating proton facility

Plans have also been filed with the DRC for 285-unit apartment building with ground-level retail space at 131 Ponce de Leon Avenue, which is at the corner of Ponce and Juniper Street. Charlotte, N.C.-based Faison Properties is expected to be among a team presenting its application to the DRC next week.

Application Submitted for New Midtown Mixed-Use Tower

• 3 months later...

12th & Midtown Snags Its First Fashion Retail Tenant

The 12th & Midtown development in a press release Tuesday announced Republic of Couture (ROC) will open at the Midtown Atlanta landmark mixed-use development, a $2 billion project located at Peachtree and 12th Street.

ROC is scheduled to open spring 2013 and will be located at 1075 Peachtree (Phase 2 of 12th & Midtown) in a 6,500-square-foot flagship space on Peachtree Street, according to the release.

“ROC is unlike any other store in the Atlanta market and is the perfect tenant to kick off the fashion component at 12th & Midtown,” Shirley Gouffon, senior vice president of retail leasing for 12th & Midtown and Selig Enterprises, said in the release.

http://www.whatnowat...t-12th-midtown/

http://republicofcoutureboutique.com/

ROC-at-1075-Artists-Rendering.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the rapid lease up at Skyhouse, it appears that 100 6th street is preparing move forward. There is already demo equipment on the site the project is rumored to have financing in place.

5-8-2012-10-07-41-PM.jpg?cbf681

Heres a photo of 77 12th progress and Skyhouse almost finished in the background.

photo.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Midtown Project Update

HGI / Homewood Suites is completed and turned out slightly better than I thought it would look.

71673_403315503079895_1845878026_n.jpg

Skyhouse 

Move-ins should be close to starting, if they haven't already.  The development reportedly already had reservations for more than 100 of its units.

77 12th Sreet has topped out and has around 40 commitments, four months ahead of the expected completion in May.

screen-capture-1-1_zpsa17c2124.png

100 6th has already begun demo and site prep for Novare's next tower clone.

131 Ponce de Leon - Demo has also started on this project site.

131%20ponce.jpg

Georgia Tech High Performance Computing Center

A deal with the city has been reached concerning the Crum & Foster building, allowing GA Tech to proceed with plans for the 24-story tower.  According to Tech's previously announced schedule for the project, construction will begin this year.

ttechs32.jpg

12th & Midtown Expanding - the developers of the multi-phase project have assembled an additional 4 acres and has offers out on other parcels within a few blocks of the project.  Future plans for 12th & Midtown include an additional 200,000 sf of retail and the next (most likely) residential phase of the development could start as soon as late this year.

12th & Midtown gaining ground

Phase 1,2, & 3

screen-capture-2-2_zpsf95e1355.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Midtown SPI Zoning District 16 on Tuesday will review plans for three projects.

930 Spring Street - A 17-story, 267-unit student tower with 10,200 sf of street-level retail is planned for the corner of 8th and Spring Street.

867 Peachtree st -  The Starbucks site will be redeveloped into 39 residential units above 4700 sf of retail.

855 Peachtree - the parking podium for Viewpoint will be redeveloped with an improved facade and streetscapes.  (There have been rumors that a major retail tenant was coming to Viewpoint)

http://midtown.patch.com/articles/17-story-high-rise-planned-for-spring-street

Edited by Martinman

Regarding the proposed student housing at 930 Spring Street:

I can't be anymore more elated with this announcement than I am already. Preliminary renders notwithstanding, this is a great use of that lot. It seems like the area, from 5th Street north to 14th street and from Peachtree Street west, is filling in nicely. This is great because that area butts up to the Downtown Connector and is full of space rip for redevelopment. MARTA'S Midtown station should be next...but that's wishful thinking. With the re-purposing of the Crum & Foster building (see sketch and description above in Martinman's post), there will be more bodies in the area to add to the vibrancy of Tech Square. I leave town for a few months and it seems that infill development is really picking up.  

Regarding SkyHouse (newly completed), 77th 12th St (nearing completion) and 100 6th Street (under construction):

I drove past all three last week since I am in town. WOW! What a difference they make in person. I was a little surprised that Novare broke ground on 100 6th Street so quickly. That's three 22/23 new story apartment buildings in the span of months. This area of Midtown is really transforming. This should also bode will for adding more energy into Midtown Mile.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the 8 story apartment building proposal next to Viewpoint directly on Peachtree. This takes away the Starbucks...which I hope will take up new residence in the base of one the apartment buildings along Peachtree. It seems like the development choice of the hour now is residential. I'm liking the trend because it adds to the energy along Midtown Mile.

I also read that Piedmont Park has commenced construction on a major addition that will take it all the way to the intersection (not literally) of Piedmont Rd and Monroe Dr. This also means Atlanta Beltline access. You'll be able to bike all the way from the Old Fourth Ward to the park via the Beltline. Piedmont Park is an absolute jewel to the area and the city as a whole. This should bring the park close to 200 acres. Definitely an urban oasis.             

Thank you to Martinman for keeping us updated on the many proposals. I'm not in Atlanta as often so I'm just super thrilled to see the city growing in the right direction. 

Oh, and I almost forgot about the 8 story apartment building proposal next to Viewpoint directly on Peachtree. This takes away the Starbucks...which I hope will take up new residence in the base of one the apartment buildings along Peachtree. It seems like the development choice of the hour now is residential. I'm liking the trend because it adds to the energy along Midtown Mile.

LC

Starbucks will be on the ground floor of the 8-story apartment building.  According to the developer, they are still negotiating with Starbucks on the size of the new store.  He also said that they will be all 2 & 3 bedrooms which can be hard to find in Midtown.   This project might be my favorite because this kind of development or redevelopment of existing, less than stellar retail space is exactly what I've been hoping would happen along Peachtree.  

On another note, I hear that 12th & Midtown's next residential building, on the same block as 77 12th street, will have around 500 units and will start early next year.

Edited by Martinman

Martinman, I'm glad to read that the Starbucks will be back. I generally don't do the "store/retail announcement" comments unless it's something monumental but the Starbucks is a necessary establishment to the area. I wish that there were regular stores in the area but I'm sure in time they will follow. In fact, I smell an opportunity myself, lol. I also LOVE the fact that these will be larger apartments. Not everyone wants to be cramped into a 1 bedroom unit. Some people like the idea of having house guest from time to time. The area just south of and just north of the Peachtree St./10th Street intersection is really coming alive. Now if we could only get Dewberry to act on his spectacular parcel.

In regards to the proposed 500 unit apartment building at the 12th & Midtown development:

Wow. Being on the same block (will it be south or west of 77 12th) will definitely go a long way in helping the new retail establishments at the 12th & Midtown development. I wonder where the new grocery store will be located. If this new building will be just west of 77 12th Street then this will help in filling in the gap between 12th & Midtown and Skyhouse. That are is turning into quite the community. I see great things happening there. At 500 units, this building will be as tall or close to 1010 Midtown. Add in 100 6th Street (which is an easy walk to 12th & Midtown) and you have alot of new people in the neighborhood.I'm very bullish on this area now.        

Wow. Being on the same block (will it be south or west of 77 12th) will definitely go a long way in helping the new retail establishments at the 12th & Midtown development. I wonder where the new grocery store will be located. If this new building will be just west of 77 12th Street then this will help in filling in the gap between 12th & Midtown and Skyhouse. That are is turning into quite the community. I see great things happening there. At 500 units, this building will be as tall or close to 1010 Midtown. Add in 100 6th Street (which is an easy walk to 12th & Midtown) and you have alot of new people in the neighborhood.I'm very bullish on this area now.  

It will be on the southern half of the block, facing the Federal Reserve.  I just read another tidbit on this proposal on the Midtown Alliance website.  The project will include 80,000 sf of retail which is enough to include the grocery store that was mentioned for that block several years ago.

Edited by Martinman

Midtown is on a roll with construction and now it's joining the jobs announcement roll as well.

Health IT firm AthenaHealth will bring more than 700 jobs to Midtown. They will be located in the Ponce City Market. This is great for several reasons. 1) PCM is right on the Atlanta Beltline. 2) Its Midtown location. 3) This goes a long way in helping to fill the thousands of apartments under construction in the greater Midtown market.

Ponce%20City%20Market%20aerial%20Renderi

Athenahealth will occupy the penthouse level of the redeveloped building, with a view of North Ave., the source said. The company was drawn to the area because of its walkability, bike trails, proximity to Georgia Tech and a young population.

This is the view of the side where AthenaHealth will locate. North Avenue is the street on the right and Ponce de Leon is the street on the left side. *Note the Beltline bridge over North Avenue on the upper right side.* 

You can read more about this announcement here:

www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2013/02/health-it-firm-athenahealth-to-bring.html

In other IT/Technology based job news involving Midtown:

App developer Big Nerd Ranch more than doubles its Atlanta HQ. It's a rather interesting name for a company but I am glad to see them bullish on the Kirkwood area...which is just east of Midtown proper and also close to the Beltline and the plethora of new apartments currently under construction in the intown market.

Not limited to Midtown news:

I am really enjoying the influx of IT/Technology jobs into the metro Atlanta area. While Atlanta may not show up on IT/Technology Hotspot list, since January there have been no less than 3000 announced IT jobs. The 700 with AthenaHealth, 1000-1500 with the GM Innovation Center announcement (Roswell), Cloud Sherpas will add 900 jobs, Atlanta based Airwatch raises $200 million led by a NYC Venture Capitalist firm as well as announcing the addition of 700+ jobs (Perimeter Center), Ernst & Young will open a global IT center adding up to 400 jobs over five years (Alpharetta), Amazon scouting Atlanta for a tech operation...potentially adding 100 jobs (Buckhead or Marietta?). Since this is so off topic for Midtown development, I will end here. I'm just super excited at the influx of techies/creative class to the metro area. Many of these vibrant individuals may fill most of the apartments under construction in the Midtown area.  

Edited by Lady Celeste