Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

The Atlanta developers of the Centergy project in Midtown have announced plans for the development of a 23 story mixed use tower. It will contain 100,000 sq ft of office space for high tect companies and 500 beds aimed at off campus student housing. The location of this proposed development is located on the block just south of the recently announced 19 story Appling student housing project at 867 Spring Street. *See above postings for more information on that development.*

As more details on this proposal are released, I'm sure they will be added here.

A snippet from the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/03/08/centergy-expansion-would-add-housing.html

Centergy.jpg?v=1

The new development will be located across the street from this building. 

There are rumblings of yet another apartment tower to join the three new additions (Skyhouse Atlanta 1 @ 12th St. and Spring Street [newly completed], 77 12th Street [u/c] and Skyhouse Atlanta 2 @ 100 6th Street [u/c]) to the Midtown skyline. Atlanta based Tivoli is rumored to be considering a tower at a property it currently owns on 13th Street close to Piedmont Park. Tivoli would develop a 252-unit tower and could move forward on the site by this spring. This would be revival of plans that Tivoli had previously announced in 2008. I generally don't like dealing in rumors but I thought this was noteworthy considering they have all the necessary permits. Time will tell....

This should be great news for families considering the Midtown/Old Fourth Ward market. The Suzuki School will open a campus at Ponce City Market. Suzuki School, one of the oldest and most respected private preschools in the Southeast, is slated to open its Midtown campus in fall 2014. This is also great news for Jamestown who is developing Ponce City Market. The school will take up 20,000 square feet of the project's 441,000 square feet of office space.

Ponce%20City%20Market.jpg?v=1

Some may remember mention of Ponce City Market from a little over a week ago when technology company Athenahealth announced that the development would house a major division for them. This move is bringing with them 700 IT jobs. They will take up an additional 120,000 square feet. Also, software company Cardlytics has reached out to Jamestown and Cushman & Wakefield about its interest in potentially relocating to the building. You now can drop your child(ren) off at school, go to work and shop when work is done...ALL in one location. It's great to see such enthusiasm for this historic icon. It's also next to the Beltline so YAY!  

Read the article here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/03/suzuki-school-will-open-campus-at.html

There are rumblings of yet another apartment tower to join the three new additions (Skyhouse Atlanta 1 @ 12th St. and Spring Street [newly completed], 77 12th Street [u/c] and Skyhouse Atlanta 2 @ 100 6th Street [u/c]) to the Midtown skyline. Atlanta based Tivoli is rumored to be considering a tower at a property it currently owns on 13th Street close to Piedmont Park. Tivoli would develop a 252-unit tower and could move forward on the site by this spring. This would be revival of plans that Tivoli had previously announced in 2008. I generally don't like dealing in rumors but I thought this was noteworthy considering they have all the necessary permits. Time will tell....

The only thing I tend to dislike about these residential towers in Midtown is the loads of parking that come with them. In some cases, the attached decks don't even have retail lining the street to encourage pedestrian activity.

This should be great news for families considering the Midtown/Old Fourth Ward market. The Suzuki School will open a campus at Ponce City Market. Suzuki School, one of the oldest and most respected private preschools in the Southeast, is slated to open its Midtown campus in fall 2014. This is also great news for Jamestown who is developing Ponce City Market. The school will take up 20,000 square feet of the project's 441,000 square feet of office space.

Ponce%20City%20Market.jpg?v=1

Some may remember mention of Ponce City Market from a little over a week ago when technology company Athenahealth announced that the development would house a major division for them. This move is bringing with them 700 IT jobs. They will take up an additional 120,000 square feet. Also, software company Cardlytics has reached out to Jamestown and Cushman & Wakefield about its interest in potentially relocating to the building. You now can drop your child(ren) off at school, go to work and shop when work is done...ALL in one location. It's great to see such enthusiasm for this historic icon. It's also next to the Beltline so YAY!  

Read the article here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/03/suzuki-school-will-open-campus-at.html

Wow...there's some SERIOUS momentum for this huge development right now. Exciting stuff! 

Now if the Beltline could just get a serious kickstart in terms of the actual transit component of the project...

Krazeeboi, you have some valid concerns regarding the new towers either recently finished or currently under construction in Midtown. We all would like for there to be minimal to no parking associated with the new towers. Unfortunately, economics dictate otherwise. In Sunbelt cities it's almost financial suicide to not include parking. I also might add that in EVERY tower completed in the Midtown market recently have included retail in the base or the parking decks. I know specifically that SkyHouse I, SkyHouse II and 77 12th Street all contain street level retail. As to the soon to be unveiled Tivoli tower on 13th, if you remember when this tower was first announce during the condo boom, the NPU of the area fought AGAINST retail and required limited parking in order to get approval. Considering where it will be located and its close proximity to retail a few blocks away, their requirements are definitely understandable. So perhaps this tower will have less parking which should please you. Unfortunately it may not have any retail either since it's not on a major thoroughfare. Even NYC doesn't have retail at the base of every tower.

As far as the Beltline transit component: I so wished it could be included now as well. As we all know, transit is very expensive. In this climate of low taxes, it is almost impossible to as people to increase taxes to pay for transit. We see how the transportation bill was shot down by voters just last summer. I'm just thrilled that Atlanta has invested so much into the Beltline as it is. It's being built to incorporate transit in the future when density or necessity rises to the demand. Until then, it will have to be akin to the High Line on Manhattan's westside. It's extremely pedestrian friendly and in the neighborhoods where it has already opened, it has been received with unanimous fanfare. As Intown matures, I'm sure transit on the Beltline will follow.    

LC,

I did not remember those details regarding the 13th Street apartment proposal.  I truly don't understand the opposition to retail in this location but I do remember some were opposed to Luxe having retail in 12th street.  Although there are still some SFH's nearby, its only a matter of time before this is all multi-story residential.  I am actually surprised that this area overlooking the park didn't see more development during the boom years.  Other than a couple of small projects on Piedmont, Luxe was the only new highrise project.

I did notice a parcel on 12th street near Luxe was recently sold and I wonder if it is a part of the 12th & Midtown team's land assemblage.  I do know that they now control almost all of the parcels on 12th street between Crescent and Peachtree Walk.  Basically the southern half of the block across 12th street from the 77 12th tower.

Edited by Martinman

• 4 weeks later...

The construction continues in the Midtown District as well.

First we have the pre-construction site of what will become 867 Peachtree Street. It will replace the Starbucks Coffeehouse already there. *see above for information on this development*

Second we have 100 6th Street...or as I fondly call it Skyhouse Atlanta 2.0 of the second Skyhouse apartment tower under construction in Atlanta. Things are really moving fast. Novare Group announces a tower and then races to the finish. 

Third: the Hyatt Atlanta Midtown is nearing completion with its transformation:

Fourth: 77 12th Street is nearing completion as well:

Fifth: In the Old Fourth Ward...Ponce City Market is rocking along. With so many tech companies signing leases here, I am sure the developers are pleased:

There's a plethora of other projects in the district but time does not permit me to list them all. Again, many thanks to ImmovableMedia on Youtube for his awesome videos. 

• 2 weeks later...

A view from high atop the recently completed SkyHouse Midtown...or SkyHouse 1.0 as I call it to not confuse it with SkyHouse 2.0 of 100 6th St which is still under construction.

306250_356375437809159_542002323_n-thumb

What a cute view. I'm loving the space and it's usage. 

In other Midtown news...

Piedmont Park is slowly getting bigger. In recent weeks, crews have begun the expansion of Atlanta's marquee green space in earnest, digging away to extend parkland to the intersection of Piedmont and Monroe near Ansley Mall. The work is part of a $41-million "Phase I" of Piedmont's growth, renovating and adding about 41 acres ($1 million per acre?) to the 189-acre park. The under-construction Piedmont Commons section will boast a walking bridge, a trail, easy connection to (the eventual corresponding stretch of) the Beltline and a "pick-up field that can be used for games or picnicking.

Below is a picture of part of the Piedmont Commons I addition underway.

expansion_north_aerial_091106.jpg

Also, as we all know, apartment complexes have been sprouting up in Midtown like mushrooms after three days of constant rain. Well now we have a finite name for a complex that was announced for North Avenue next to the Atlanta Beltline. 755 North will be a four story apartment building with 277 units. Right at North Avenue and Somerset Terrace, it will have 600 feet of Beltline frontage.That's the good news.

The lukewarm news (for some) is that this complex will not contain ground level retail. Now, having walked all over NYC's UES, I know for a fact that not ever residential building has ground level retail. Can anyone say 45 E 89th Street? Or the countless residential buildings along Park Ave. This development having no ground level retail is not a real biggie for me but I know how many of us loooooong for retail in EVERY apartment building...if it makes financial sense of not. I just can seem to muster up any tears to shed over the lack of retail space in this development. Sorry.

The good news is this complex is right on the Beltline and mere steps away from Ponce City Market. There will be a plethora of retail there. Not to mention the retail complex right across the street from PCM. Seriously, will it hurt people to come out of their buildings and walk a few hundred feet? 755 North is currently under construction with an anticipated completion date of February 2014. Below is a picture of the four story complex to jog your memory.

alskjfkds-thumb.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-24%20at%209.13-t

Last but not least in Midtown Development News...

With a goal of making Midtown a more vibrant, walkable district, The Midtown Alliance is teaming with Georgia Tech to create a so-called "living lab" partnership. The lab's purpose is to develop mobile apps and other technology to benefit Midtowners. Uses would range from locating available parking to finding elusive public transit in seconds. I think this will go a long way in helping to make the environment and retail in the area more walk friendly. You will no longer have to walk around aimlessly looking for a place to park or eat. Georgia Tech is a definite treasure to the Midtown community. 

Read more here: http://www.ajc.com/news/business/apps-targeting-life-in-midtown-on-the-horizon/nXS5w/

• 1 month later...

77 12th Street started move-ins this week.  It is a great addition to Midtown.

7712th_zps6212f694.png

The developers of 867 Peachtree, now called "Seventh", are proposing the first new condos in Midtown in seven years.  They originally planned to open as apartments but the tightening intown condo market prompted the changed to for-sale units.  The plan is to pre-sell a good portion of the condos before breaking ground.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/05/24/new-condo-building-planned-for-midtown.html

screen-capture-1-1_zps3519afa6.png

Edited by Martinman

I didn't know the condo market was on the up-and-up. That's good news considering the area's sluggish housing market. I wonder how much these units will go for?

Hi Krazeeboi: the short answer to your question is yes. The condo market has vastly and quietly improved on intown units. Limiting the target area to the Midtown/Peachtree St market, inventory has fallen dramatically. When we factor in the price point and the fact that there are only expected to be 23 units in the Seventh building, there is little competition. Inventory is down to no more than 5 units of similar size the last time I checked. The Intown Atlanta condo market has been flying completely under the radar for the last 12-15 months. Across the entire intown market, I think condo units are down to 1100 available...both new and resale. 

Edited by Lady Celeste

Also the area housing market can no longer be called sluggish.  Prices are up, new construction is up 60%, homes are selling quicker and the inventory is still  very low for a metro of this size.  As for intown condos, the market has experienced its first price appreciation since the market collapse and I've heard anecdotal stories of sellers getting several offers within a week of being on the market.  Just the simple fact that ZERO new condos have been built for several years has created a tight market now that the local economy is beginning to heat up.

• 2 weeks later...

In Midtown Atlanta development news....

Is it me or is that permitting process in Atlanta on overdrive? It seems like a tower is announced and within months it's under construction. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Ground Breaks On Atlanta First Condo Tower In Many Years...

c_h7uPG4LSDaVW4v9dAZ7c3dFM15Kd-zllo3td8A 

Ground has broken on Seventh, the city's first condo project launched in several years, Atlanta INtown reports. The nine-story building at Peachtree and 7th streets was previously announced as apartments but later switched to for-sale units (averaging a sizable 2,000 square feet) to meet demand. Don't expect one bedrooms or studios at Seventh; developers Robin Loudermilk and Dwight Bell have said all units, including two penthouses, will have at least two bedrooms, with prices starting in the mid-$600,000s.

Added perks of the building will include: 

1. 4,700 square feet of retail on the ground floor, including the ever-busy Starbucks in the base of the building.

2. Only 23 spectacular luxury residences and penthouses being offered in the epicenter of Midtown South.

Also of note will be the fact that this development sets a precedent for Midtown new development. It will NOT include a surface parking lot - or any new parking at all. That's a step in the right direction. Since this has broken ground so quickly, this must mean that interest has been brisk. It was just announced back in April or so. There are now two residential building under construction on that one city block by two separate developers. 100 6th Street is also on this block along with the 36 story Viewpoint residential tower. I wonder will there be a webcam? Either way, I'm sure Immovable Media will be on the case.

Here's Immovable Media's "Pre-Construction" video of where the nine story condo building will be located.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEbLrl9UBE

In Midtown Atlanta growing tech industry news:

AT&T to put Innovation Center at Georgia Tech's Centergy Center.

Centergy_building*304.jpg?v=1

AT&T has picked Atlanta as its fourth Foundry innovation center. This is great news on two fronts. It continues to expand Midtown's burgeoning technology industry concentration and it's a development that could seed dozens of technology startups in the area. As has been noted in the past few months, many technology firms have set up shop in the Midtown area. Also, metro Atlanta has been in on the crazed. The suburb of Roswell landed GM's Innovation Center that will bring with it 1500 technology jobs.

AT&T has similar facilities in Plano, Texas, Ra’anana, Israel and Palo Alto, Calif. AT&T and its corporate partners Intel, Ericsson, Amdocs and Alcatel-Lucent have invested nearly $100 million in the innovation centers.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2013/06/att-to-put-innovation-center-at.html

In Midtown Atlanta entertainment news... 

Music Midtown '13 is on the way! 

14894-music-midtown-family.jpg

The line up for Music Midtown has been released. It will happen over two days in Midtown's Piedmont Park in September. The dates have been set as September 20th and 21st. At least it won't be dreadfully hot. Last year Music Midtown sold out and drew more that 50,000 people to the two day event.

Here is who will strum, rock, croon and bash around during the musical soiree at Piedmont Park.

ON FRIDAY, SEPT. 20

Journey

Jane’s Addiction

2 Chainz

Phoenix

Cake

North Mississippi Allstars

The Mowgli’s

Drivin N Cryin

ONE SATURDAY, SEPT. 21

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Queens of the Stone Age

Imagine Dragons

Weezer

Kendrick Lamar

Arctic Monkeys

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Tegan and Sara

The Black Lips

Reignwolf

The Neighbourhood

ZZ Ward

Mona

Capital Cities

Get your blankets, your friends and your love of music ready for this year's event. Tickets are sure to sell fast.

Read more here: http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/atlanta-music-scene/2013/jun/17/music-midtown-announces-lineup/

Edited by Lady Celeste

I'm assuming that this is just a poorly worded story and that they were intending to say that this project was breaking new ground being the first condo project it seven years because this project has NOT started.  The free-standing Starbucks is still open and busy as ever.

In Midtown Atlanta development news....

Is it me or is that permitting process in Atlanta on overdrive? It seems like a tower is announced and within months it's under construction. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Ground Breaks On Atlanta First Condo Tower In Many Years...

c_h7uPG4LSDaVW4v9dAZ7c3dFM15Kd-zllo3td8A 

Ground has broken on Seventh, the city's first condo project launched in several years, Atlanta INtown reports. The nine-story building at Peachtree and 7th streets was previously announced as apartments but later switched to for-sale units (averaging a sizable 2,000 square feet) to meet demand. Don't expect one bedrooms or studios at Seventh; developers Robin Loudermilk and Dwight Bell have said all units, including two penthouses, will have at least two bedrooms, with prices starting in the mid-$600,000s.

Added perks of the building will include: 

1. 4,700 square feet of retail on the ground floor, including the ever-busy Starbucks in the base of the building.

2. Only 23 spectacular luxury residences and penthouses being offered in the epicenter of Midtown South.

Also of note will be the fact that this development sets a precedent for Midtown new development. It will NOT include a surface parking lot - or any new parking at all. That's a step in the right direction. Since this has broken ground so quickly, this must mean that interest has been brisk. It was just announced back in April or so. There are now two residential building under construction on that one city block by two separate developers. 100 6th Street is also on this block along with the 36 story Viewpoint residential tower. I wonder will there be a webcam? Either way, I'm sure Immovable Media will be on the case.

Here's Immovable Media's "Pre-Construction" video of where the nine story condo building will be located.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEbLrl9UBE

I have AtlantaINTown on my twitter feed and when I saw the announcement I thought it rather aggressive. This is prime reason why I wished we had more posters who actually live in metro Atlanta to post as opposed to myself who is only there part time. That's why I even say in my initial post that the permitting process must be on overdrive. When I reread the article, you are right Martinman, this could be a cruel play on words. It's also definitely unworthy of an intown publication. 

I was shocked when I read the above announcement and disappointed that I have one fewer starbucks option in a multi-block radius.  First world problems at its best.  I will say that I am THRILLED to see that the UP threads for Atlanta are starting to heat up again... I remember in 2006, it seemed like a new tower everyday or several were being announced with pictures galore.  Other than Lenox Mall updates, I have not seen much action on this site for some time... but glad to see that has changed now.  I will try to help be "eyes on the ground" in Midtown since LC is in NYC now it seems.  :console: these emoticons are so cute btw.

As for 867, I figured it would be a slightly taller 905 Juniper... which is fine... I am so glad we are seeing more condo's in Atlanta, and I'm pleased they are so much larger - I feel sorry for the units on the east/south side staring at a slab parking deck and surface pay lots.  I do not know why on earth Jamestown has decided to switch to luxury rentals when the type of development they are creating in PCM will be a live-work-play area unlike any in the region (I don't think Atlantic Station counts because it feels too much like a theme park than anything organically urban).  I really do not think that Atlanta has the numbers to sustain all these luxury apartments once the banks begin lending again.  Most of the high end rentals are being utilized by film crews for living and productions space.  Someone is going to have to start offering median income units at some point, God forbid affordable housing for us commoners who want a piece of the American dream.

The intown housing marking for buyers is so slim now... sure there are plenty to choose from but quality units in convenient locations are difficult finds right now.  Even the less desirable or "up & coming" areas like "SoNo" (lol) are evaporating.  They keep announcing that 12 Centennial is out, but then another "new unit" pops up - who knows what's up with that.  I am ready to see some mixed-income or affordable housing around Midtown, even if its a less convenient location where walking is involved.  Jane Jacobs would want that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like yet another apartment or condo tower is in the works along Peachtree St on the Midtown Mile. This proposal, by Dallas based JLB Partners will be located one land that was once a part of AT&T's Midtown complex. I think the building could be a little taller but at the end of the day it's the urban environment that we are most concerned with. It will add more people to the Midtown Mile corridor and that's important. Let us hope that JLB Partners give us something appropriate for such a prime lot. 

A Dallas developer is planning the latest residential project on the Midtown Mile.

JLB Partners L.P. has a 1.8-acre undeveloped site on AT&T Inc.’s Midtown campus under contract. JLB plans to go before Midtown Alliance staff in coming weeks to fine-tune the project’s design. For now, it could range from 280 to 300 units and from eight to 10 stories.

It would most likely feature apartments, though JLB could consider condos.

The proposal is preliminary and as soon as a rendering is available, I will post it. 

Read it here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/06/28/new-apartment-tower-planned-for-midtown.html

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like yet another apartment or condo tower is in the works along Peachtree St on the Midtown Mile. This proposal, by Dallas based JLB Partners will be located one land that was once a part of AT&T's Midtown complex. I think the building could be a little taller but at the end of the day it's the urban environment that we are most concerned with. It will add more people to the Midtown Mile corridor and that's important. Let us hope that JLB Partners give us something appropriate for such a prime lot. 

The proposal is preliminary and as soon as a rendering is available, I will post it. 

Read it here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/06/28/new-apartment-tower-planned-for-midtown.html

In addition to this project, Tivoli's redesigned 13th street apartment tower proposal will be reveiwed tomorrow by the Midtown DRC.  Reports are that Tivloi now has a partner for the project and it is will move forward this year.  More info and likely renderings should be revealed for both projects this week.

Here's the meeting agenda for 207 13th Street

New construction of a high-rise residential project. This application was reviewed

previously by the DRC in May 2008 and received a conditional SAP for grading and site

work. The building elevations were still being finalized at that time. The applicant

proposes an additional 1,100 SF of ground floor retail and will present a new design to

screen the parking deck.

Edited by Martinman

Thus far, all that we've learned about the Tivoli project is that it will have 249 units and be a called Yoo on the Park. Yoo is a "global property design firm" founded by British developer John Hitchcox and designer Philippe Starck.  This thumbnail rendering is from a website seeking equity partners for the project.  

Thumbnail.jpg

Interesting information Martinman. From the picture it appears to be 24 stories. My counting may be a wee bit off however. At first I was not understanding the necessity for retail at the base of this tower. Considering that it's almost on the park however, this could actually work. It's not like it an overload of retail space...especially considering that it is but a few blocks from Peachtree Street's Midtown Mile. I look forward to more finalized construction plans and a bigger render. I am glad that Tivoli is moving forward with this Midtown addition. I'm sure there are those in the Mayfair Renaissance tower who aren't too thrilled with this as it may block some of the lower floor residence's views.