Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I forgot to mention that Tivoli project was sent back to the drawing board by the DRC to better screen the parking deck. 

Also the JLB project at 5th and Peachtree presented preliminary designs for its project.  At this point there will be 8 stories of residential above at least three levels of parking and 290 - 320 units. 

That's great to hear Martinman. I think the proper screening of the parking deck is paramount. This is a very leafy area and steps from Piedmont Park so we can ill afford have a parking deck disaster here. I'm glad to see that the critical mass in this area is definitely gaining momentum.  

Also in Midtown....

We have a better rendering of the private developer student housing aimed at Georgia Tech students. The tower will be located at the corner of Spring St and 8th St. Developers hope to have it open for the Fall 2015 academic year.

930Springabc_zps0dda7626.png

It's not going to give anyone chill bumps for design excellence but it will serve a populace in need of quality student housing. It also appears to have some retail spots at the base. This building also puts student talent right in the heart of the growing tech community.  

100 6th Street:

Unfortunately the Skyhouse design style continues. This time I can confirm the AC units will be housed on the balcony of each unit. The same white "covering" is being applied to shield the view from the street but if you look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbhwGaogyPQ, they are still visible.

131 Ponce de Leon Avehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPRXyV9ieY0

Work continues as the ground floor goes up. There seems to be a lot of plywood that goes into construction of these apartments. I've been noticing this all around town.

Georgia Proton Treatment Centerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Sl9sDn9jM

A rendering is up on site. Crews are pouring a lot of concrete on the foundations. They are building what looks like a massive concrete box (20'x40'x10' or so) with several pipes sticking out. Could this have something to do with the physical storage of the protons, the "ionizing radiation" or Radioisotopes if you will, used in this type of Cancer treatment? Now I'm no construction expert but from my understanding, Nuclear Reactors house their cores in concrete and water. I wonder if this is something similar or just simply a lot of concrete?

Tech Engineered Biosystems Buildinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2_xwT_q0IE

Crews are still working on the foundation columns, of which there are a lot. I suppose there will be a heavy load/stress factor on this building considering lab equipment is heavy!

Atlanta Soka Gakkai Buddhist Centerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhgvPlIi9uM

The footprint of this building is very small. I can also confirm another surface parking lot surrounding. From the looks of it about 50% of the space will be for parking. Really, a tiny building (for Atlanta standards at least)...

Walton Westsidehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNTWYnIBsSE

Crews are working on the 2nd residential floor. The large parking deck shouldn't be visible from the street upon completion. Meanwhile traffic on Huff St. is getting worse! This is my 4th visit to this site over the past year or so and each time, there are more cars in this area. Kudos to infill but damn the traffic, MAN!

Edited by krazeeboi

We have a bit of development news/rumor for the Midtown submarket.

In the picture above, on the lower lefthand side you will see a parking lot. Oh how we wish those away. Weg, weg mit dem! Well, we may have our wish. It is rumored that Wood Partners has decided to move ahead with the construction of an apartment tower on the site. It is bordered by Peachtree Pl to the north, 8th St to the south, Cypress St to the east and West Peachtree St to the west. It is also across W Peachtree St. from Plaza Midtown and the Publix grocery store as well as across Peachtree Pl from the Midtown MARTA Station.

Because part of the lot is above the actual Midtown MARTA Station, this could pose for an interesting building site. The development could include 400 apartments. Since this is still in preliminary stages, I will reserve more information until it is forthcoming. This would be a big plus for the Midtown area as such a development would remove yet another parking lot. Another huge plus is that it would be situated next to transit.

Stay tuned....    

I almost forgot to mention the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. If you haven't been recently, it's a real treat. My family makes the trek twice a year...spring and fall. It's always buzzing with people. The Botanical Gardens currently has a new exhibit showing that will excite the young and old alike. It's called Imaginary Worlds. You can go to Piedmont Park and stroll right over the the Botanical Gardens or you can go directly there. It's a perfect retreat from the urban environment.

8*304.jpg

See the slideshow here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/08/02/atlanta-botanical-gardens-imaginary.html?s=image_gallery  

The view of Atlanta's skyline from the top of the parking deck at the Atlanta Garden Inn is spectacular! How beautiful is Midtown looking these days!? Take notice of Skyhouse, 77 12th St & 12th and Midtown...

Midtown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOPvmvL2Q1k

Buckhead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq8WQ7WjifA

Edited by Immovable_Media

The view of Atlanta's skyline from the top of the parking deck at the Atlanta Garden Inn is spectacular! How beautiful is Midtown looking these days!? Take notice of Skyhouse, 77 12th St & 12th and Midtown...

Midtown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOPvmvL2Q1k

Buckhead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq8WQ7WjifA

Very nice...Midtown has such an extensive skyline in its own right. 

• 3 weeks later...

A new tower for Midtown.

New medical office tower would offer suburban healthcare giant access to booming intown Atlanta market.

Earlier this year, developers Brand Properties began pitching a new office tower for Midtown. To be located two blocks north of the new Skyhouse Midtown apartment building, the office building would rise 17 stories. Now we have found out that Northside Hospital has been in discussions with Brand Properties for several weeks to be an anchor tenant for the tower.

The location of the site is 13th Street between Spring St and West Peachtree St. I don't know if it is the northside of 13th or the southside. Either location we will lose either surface parking or low rise buildings. Maybe Northside Hospital can be the catalyst for a new office tower on the Midtown skyline. The announcement is in today's subscriber section of the Atlanta Business Journal for those who would like a source. 

Northside Hospital, known for its expansion into the northern suburbs, appears to want a bigger presence in Midtown, home turf for two of its biggest rivals.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Midtown Development Review Committees of SPI-16 and SPI-17 are having a meeting tonight at 5:30pm at 999 Peachtree. 

On tonight's agendas are two proposed buildings. The new 17 story medical arts building and a 19 story mixed use building.

6:00 NEW APPLICATION: 1117 Spring Street (Midtown Medical Office Project)

Project Type: New construction of a 17-story (200,000 SF) state-of-the-art medical office facility. 
Applicant(s): Jessica L. Hill, [email protected]
Michael Hoath, Brand Properties
Greg Miller, Cooper Carry

6:30 NEW APPLICATION: 33 Peachtree Place
Project Type: New construction of a 19-story mixed-use development with ground level retail and 
structured parking for residents, retail patrons and employees of the AGL Building located 
across the street. 
Applicant(s): Jenn Wilson, [email protected]
Dan Joy, RJT+R
Bennett Sands, Wood Partners
Matt Trammell, Wood Partners

Read more here: http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/docs/agenda-09-10-13.pdf

Perhaps we can get some renderings of both proposals from tonight's meeting. 

The Midtown Development Review Committees of SPI-16 and SPI-17 are having a meeting tonight at 5:30pm at 999 Peachtree. 

On tonight's agendas are two proposed buildings. The new 17 story medical arts building and a 19 story mixed use building.

Read more here: http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/docs/agenda-09-10-13.pdf

Perhaps we can get some renderings of both proposals from tonight's meeting. 

I am super excited to see the Wood Partners proposal.  I don't expect anything earth-shattering but as long as the street level is DECENT I think I'll be happy. That lot is like a black hole in an otherwise pretty dense  part of Midtown and I never expected to see it developed anytime soon. Edit: And as long as the deck has some kind of facade treatment.  Thats critical too.   According to the blurb that was in the Business Chronicle this could be a phased, two-tower project.

There is also another strong rumor that Amli is planning a Midtown project at the former site of the Trump proposal across West Peachtree from the Arts Center station.

Edited by Martinman

There is also another strong rumor that Amli is planning a Midtown project at the former site of the Trump proposal across West Peachtree from the Arts Center station.

I hope this is one of those "rumors" that we hear of which ACTUALLY comes true. This is a great spot for a residential tower and as you pointed out Martinman, directly across W. Peachtree St. from the Arts Center MARTA Station. I am glad to see many of the parking lot parcels being developed. I am also thrilled that we are getting multi-players in the area as far as developers. We really don't need the super block "disney-esque" developments. I really like the here and there plugging of "holes" in the Midtown urban fabric. As more parcels are developed, Dewberry grows richer and richer. 

While we are discussing tall buildings in the sky, I see that the Midtown Alliance as been busy improving the urban pedestrian experience on the ground...where it really counts.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

This list is courtesy of the Midtown Alliance.

10th Streetscape - This project includes installation of new sidewalks, street trees, pedestrian lighting, landscaped medians and ADA upgrades between Williams Street and Piedmont Avenue.  Other improvements include a new signalized mid-block pedestrian crossing at the Midtown MARTA Station as well as burial of overhead power lines and poles between Peachtree and Juniper Streets.  Construction crews will continue work in the block between Peachtree and Juniper and move toward Piedmont over the next several weeks.

Peachtree Streetscape: Southern End - This project started in May and will extend the Peachtree Streetscape "pallette" to the southern end of Midtown.  The stretch between 3rd and Pine Streets will be upgraded with new sidewalks, pavers, curbing, trees, and pedestrian lights where needed.  Select portions of overhead utility lines will also be relocated underground.  Construction crews are nearing completion on the west side of the street between 3rd Street and Ponce de Leon Avenue.

Peachtree Streetscape: Northern End – Now in its final phases, this project extends Peachtree streetscaping to the northern end of Midtown between Peachtree Circle and the I-85 Bridge.  Over the next two weeks, construction crews will be finishing the Peachtree Street/Peachtree Circle intersection.

South Midtown Pedestrian and Circulation Improvements – This $4 million effort provides a wide range of improvements along North Avenue and Ponce de Leon Avenue including circulation improvements, streetscape upgrades, installation of key "gateway" features and creation of new public spaces such as Ponce Triangle near the Fox Theater.  Final phases included new colored/stamped crosswalks at Peachtree intersections with Ponce and North. The Midtown Alliance team will complete final punch list items over the next couple weeks.  

Peachtree Overhead Utility Burial - After being hosted Downtown for several decades, the 33rd Annual Children's Christmas Parade will take place in Midtown for the first time this December.  In anticipation of the event, the Midtown Alliance is spearheading an effort to bury all currently-overhead utility lines crossing Peachtree Street. The Midtown Alliance team is currently working on crossings at 5th, 8th and 16th Streets.

These projects go a long way in making the urban experience much more enjoyable. We ALL have complained about icky powerlines and how the tarnish the beauty of the city from the street level.   

What has not been mentioned on here but I have seen elsewhere is:

RECENTLY COMPLETED:

10th Street Cycle Track - The success of the recently-completed Atlanta BeltLine Eastside Trail increased the already-high demand for bicycle facilities in Midtown.  As a result, the Midtown Alliance partnered with the City of Atlanta and the PATH Foundation to implement Phase 1 of a dedicated two-way "cycle track" on 10th Street along Piedmont Park, between Monroe Drive and Charles Allen Drive.  The facility connects cyclists between Midtown's core and the BeltLine, and anticipates future cycle routes on Juniper Street and Piedmont Avenue. 

As more and more cities strive to be bike friendly, I would have thought this would have been mentioned. This is great news for an auto-centric place. Although I do own a luxury hybrid, I am not known to be all pro-cyclist. I do however feel that this is AWESOME...even if it takes an eastbound lane from 10th Street. I am thrilled that we can all come together to share the road. 

At any rate, there is sooooo much going on in Midtown both from the sky and on the ground. Kudos to the the Midtown Alliance. I have so much more respect for them as they do their best to create a thriving and livable community.  

Well we now have a rendering of Wood Partner's 33 Peachtree Place.

33_peachtree_place_LOW_RES*600.jpg?v=1

I wager that this vantage point is looking south from the Midtown MARTA Station. West Peachtree Street on the right and Cypress on the left. I was curious as to how they were going to position the tower as the N-S MARTA rail line is below the middle of the parcel. As Martinman said, nothing earth-shattering but at least it eliminates a surface parking lot and includes retail. 

Specifics on the building:

• Roughly 400,000 square feet.
  • Rising 19 stories.
  • 350 apartment homes.
  • 20,000 sq ft of retail space.
  • Bounded by West Peachtree, Cypress Street, 8th Street and Peachtree Place. 

Wood Partners said Wednesday it could break ground during the first half 2014. The goal is to complete construction in 2016.

I stand corrected. From what I am told, the rendering above of the Wood Partners apartment tower is looking east across West Peachtree St. From someone who went to the meeting, this is actually the least interesting vantage point. I definitely look forward to more renderings. 

"Least interesting" in terms of architecture or uses? I would expect for the West Peachtree side to have the most active uses since it is the main drag in this area.

"Least interesting" in terms of architecture or uses? I would expect for the West Peachtree side to have the most active uses since it is the main drag in this area.

I couldn't really gather how he meant it Krazee. He attended the meeting and from what I assume he was saying is that there were three renderings. Of the three renderings, this was not the most flattering of the three. I guess visually...not necessarily from an active use point of view. I should have asked. Plaza Midtown is right across W. Peachtree St and offers a Publix and other retail. There is a MARTA stop right across Peachtree Pl. It is also a few blocks north on W. Peachtree from the proposed 17 story student housing building...which will also have retail at it's base. I wonder what type of shops will fill the 20,000 sq feet of retail space. I guess it's better to have more space for future needs than no spaces at all.   

Also, it seems as if Wood Partners will have "open space" above where the MARTA rail line cuts through the middle of the parcel. I can hardly wait till more definitive renderings are released.

Here is a picture of the parcel from the ground. Another parking lot to soon bite the dust.

33%20Peachtree%20place%20Midtown-BS.jpg?

Atlanta quietly soldiers along with development....

Plans filed for $48 million Midtown Student Housing Building.

Ambling University Development Group is moving forward with plans to develop a new Midtown student highrise at 930 Spring Street. 

Spring-Street-Housing-300x336.jpeg

A building permit application was submitted to the City of Atlanta Friday to construct a new 19-story tower for student housing. The “Spring Street Housing” project was originally going to be 17-stories, according to earlier reports.

The new student housing project, at 930 Spring Street, will offer 268 units261 parking spaces, and 10,247-square-feet of retail, according to the application.

Of interest is the fact that the building will now be 19 stories as opposed to the previously announced 17 stories. It's also great news following Wood Partner's announcement of a 19 story tower two blocks east of this development. Two big lots going bye bye via substantial residential buildings. With 600 potential new residents in two blocks, this should bode well for the ground level retail in both buildings. Midtown continues to increase in density.      

Announcement Info obtained here: http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2013/09/15/rendering-plans-filed-for-48-million-midtown-student-housing-project/

My pleasure Krazeeboi.

Here is a backside view of the new student housing building planned for GA Tech students.

gatech001.png

The amenities level will overlook the downtown connector with views of the GT campus. Not earth shattering in design but it rids us of a parking lot and adds people to the streets. Plaza Midtown will be bookend by two new 19 story residential towers. So much for the views of Plaza Midtown. :ermm: But that's what can happen with you live in the city.  

While I am in Midtown....

Music Midtown 2013 is this weekend. It will be held at Piedmont Park.

545239_520479241365893_54685874_n-thumb.

I would say, "if you are in Atlanta this weekend be sure to attend" however all reports are that it is once again SOLD OUT! Perhaps there may be some tickets available. Check with ticketing agencies. If you are out of luck, there is an international music festival (the first one to be held in the US) also happening this weekend on 500 acres in the suburb of Fairburn. Worldfest is the name, if I recall correctly. This is the first time this festival will be held outside of Europe. So either way, if you are a music lover, you can find some great live music this weekend in Atlanta. 

Edit: The event I was referring to is called TomorrowWorld and NEXT weekend, not this weekend. Also, it will be held in Chattahoochee Hills is extreme southwestern Fulton County.

Then comes TomorrowWorld, the massive electronic dance music festival making its U.S. debut about 30 miles south of Atlanta on a sprawling piece of land in Chattahoochee Hills.

The event takes over Sept. 27-29 with an immense spread of nearly 300 DJs performing on seven stages. Mainstream music fans will recognize Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Steve Aoki, Tiesto, Alesso and Afrojack, but the rest of the lineup is golden for those who immerse themselves in the EDM culture.

Tickets start at $127 (www.tomorrowworld.com) and it is a 21-and-older event.

Edited by Lady Celeste