Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

My pleasure Krazeeboi.

Here is a backside view of the new student housing building planned for GA Tech students.

The amenities level will overlook the downtown connector with views of the GT campus. Not earth shattering in design but it rids us of a parking lot and adds people to the streets. Plaza Midtown will be bookend by two new 19 story residential towers. So much for the views of Plaza Midtown. :ermm: But that's what can happen with you live in the city.  

I think we will see both of those projects near Plaza Midtown under construction by next Spring.  It remains to be seen how the other residential projects progress (Yoo on the Park, Seventh, 5th & Peachtree and the Amli project). 

Now for the other Midtown projects, it also looks like the Northside hospital anchored medical office building will happen we just don't yet know the timetable.   The Georgia Tech high performance computing center is not currently scheduled to begin construction until sometime in 2015.  Hopefully that timetable gets moved up a bit.  Also Emory was planning another tower at their Midtown campus prior to the recession.  I wonder if they will dust off those plans now that the competition is moving into the neighborhood.

Edited by Martinman

While I am in Midtown....

Music Midtown 2013 is this weekend. It will be held at Piedmont Park.

545239_520479241365893_54685874_n-thumb.

I would say, "if you are in Atlanta this weekend be sure to attend" however all reports are that it is once again SOLD OUT! Perhaps there may be some tickets available. Check with ticketing agencies. If you are out of luck, there is an international music festival (the first one to be held in the US) also happening this weekend on 500 acres in the suburb of Fairburn. Worldfest is the name, if I recall correctly. This is the first time this festival will be held outside of Europe. So either way, if you are a music lover, you can find some great live music this weekend in Atlanta. 

Edit: The event I was referring to is called TomorrowWorld and NEXT weekend, not this weekend. Also, it will be held in Chattahoochee Hills is extreme southwestern Fulton County.

Went to the Midtown Music Festival this weekend (just got back). Great experience (despite all the rain yesterday), loved the Midtown skyline views. They need more of a police presence I think... couldn't find one when I needed them and the festival people had no clue where any were. A lot of other people complained about the long lines getting in on Saturday which eventually led to an entire fence being shoved down (this was after an over two hour wait to get in). We came in the back way near a parking garage and lake and walked right in. Maybe they need another entrance next year? 

Atlanta always treats us well and Midtown is one of my favorite areas. Hope to be back next year with hopefully a much closer hotel. The hotels filled up quickly for the show.

Tomorrowland is a huge win for Atlanta and rumor is that the company has an agreement to lease the land for the festival for the next 8 years or something like that. Very cool.

• Like 1

Hi guys - I stumbled upon this forum and thought I'd post this question here since you guys know this area very well. Basically, I am considering purchasing a 19th floor condo at Plaza Midtown and am interested in all this new construction. If I buy the condo, is this new 930 spring street development going to destroy the view?

Hi guys - I stumbled upon this forum and thought I'd post this question here since you guys know this area very well. Basically, I am considering purchasing a 19th floor condo at Plaza Midtown and am interested in all this new construction. If I buy the condo, is this new 930 spring street development going to destroy the view?

Hi Exjade. It depends on which tower you are planning on living in. The east-west facing tower will lose views because of the 19 story 930 Spring Street building to the west as well the 19 story Wood Partners apartment tower to the east. The north south facing tower should maintain relative views. I'm sure your agent will be more than happy to assist you with more details. I'm not familiar with your budget but if views are your main concern then you will have to go higher than 19 floors in the center of Midtown. 

There is a 2br/2ba unit in the Four Season on 14th Street available on the 31st floor with south facing views. You will pay a little more due to the height premium and higher HOA fees per square foot, however you will be in a great unit above a five star hotel with all of the amenities associated with it. Plus you are only a block away from the Arts Center Marta Station and the Atlantic Station shuttle (Publix, Regal, etc.,).*

Best of luck with your purchase. Inventory is at a very low number in the Midtown sub-market. Now is the time to take advantage of the low interest rates and great prices. If you want views, you must go higher but expect to pay. If the urban experience is what you are looking for then Plaza Midtown has alot to offer.    

*disclaimer* Although I am a licensed Realtor in the state of Georgia, I have no affiliation with the listing nor the listing agent for the unit listed above.   

Tomorrowland is a huge win for Atlanta and rumor is that the company has an agreement to lease the land for the festival for the next 8 years or something like that. Very cool.

Johnpro, I am so very glad that you enjoyed yourself at Music Midtown. Although it is trying on the meadows at Piedmont Park, it is such a great event. I hope you share your constructive criticism with the event planners for Music Midtown. They were extremely constructive. Whatever it takes to make this one of the BEST events in the southeast is always a plus. 

If almost forgot to add...if what you say about Tomorrowland is true then this will be a major coup for Atlanta. This event is major in Europe. I'm sure having access to the world via Hartsfield-Jackson, as well as 500 acres of beautiful land not far from a major American city, helps a great deal. 

Edited by Lady Celeste

I made it to the DRC meeting about the Northside medical office building and I got a pretty poor picture of it (it was packed with Cotting Court residents who were worried about the Wood Partners development): Northside MOB

Thank you so much for your contribution Clexmond. You are a true treasure trove of creditable information. As far as the proposed 17 story medical building...seriously? That's all I can say at the moment. I am sure the Midtown Alliance will require some tweaking of this building. At least I would hope so. 

Here's a preliminary rendering of the JLB properties proposal at Peachtree and  5th street. 

P0KliyE.png

This would be MAJOR for that intersection. This is the only corner there WITHOUT a building. Although it's not tall, the massing of this building is exactly what Midtown needs to build critical mass. It comes right up to Peachtree Street and 5th Street. It also fits in well with the surrounding buildings and the Methodist church across the street. LOVE IT! 

Edited by Lady Celeste

Elan Westside:
The main building has topped out at 6-floors. Crews continue work on of the units above the parking deck. 

Walton Westside:
Crews have topped out the building fronting Huff St at 6-floors. Work continues on the 2nd building across from the Goat Farm Arts Center. This are is going to be a traffic nightmare when another 250 cars move into the neighborhood! 

Tech Engineered Biosystems Building:
A lot of concrete is being used on the foundations of this building. Crews have finally made it to street level. 

Atlanta Buddhist Culture Center:
The 13,700 sqft Buddhist Center is taking shape quickly. The steel framework is almost complete. The building looks to only be 2-floors. 

Station 16 Apartments:
Thanks to the map.atlantadev.com for help with identification! This 3-acre lot is bound by 16th, 17th and Mecaslin streets. Its not in Atlantic Station, just across the street.

I asked a senior official at Central Atlanta Progress why the Downtown Loop was the inaugural line for the Atlanta Streetcar, as opposed to say the proposed line along Peachtree St. (from Brookhaven MARTA to 5 Points). This CAP official said the failure of T-SPLOST combined with (as you said) lack of completed studies on the Peachtree St line effectively forced them to focus their efforts on the Downtown Loop as the 1st line, since funding would be easier to secure and studies were closer to completion. This official also mentioned how at several public meetings residence of Midtown were unified in stating their concerns regarding the car Maintenance Facilities noise, pollution and its overall effect of the neighborhood's quality of life, not to mention it would be an unwelcome eyesore. Overwhelmingly Midtowners supported the Atlanta Streetcar as a great local transportation option and an effective form of traffic relief, saying they would definitely use it. Yet a resounding NO was heard to housing the Maintenance Facility in Midtown. This official also pointed out that the GDOT already owned the land and the City of Atlanta has been trying to improve the area underneath the connector for years.

Streetcar Maintenance Yardhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPtWIfKLYYE

Entire Loophttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-WXPsFbzbI

- Individual sections of the Atlanta Streetcar -

(1) Centennial Olympic Park to Woodruff Parkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAvsnuG20QI
(2) Woodruff Park to 75/85 Connector via Edgewood Avehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vVGbttfYiM
(3) 75/85 Connector to King Historic District via Edgewood Avehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmH6_xC4UQU
(4) King Historic District to 75/85 Connector via Auburn Avehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxV2b1KHEzc
(5) 75/85 Connector to Woodruff Park via Auburn Avehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVAZ7D3wzxE
(6) Woodruff Park to Centennial Olympic Park via Peachtree St, Ellis St, Carnegie Way & Andrew Young International Blvd:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqbM_cBgPM

Centergy North will go before the Midtown DRC tomorrow night. 

Here is the mention on the DRC agenda.

NEW APPLICATION: Centergy North

Project Type: New construction of a 22-story residential tower located on Spring Street north of the existing Centergy office building as part of Georgia Tech’s Fifth Street campus.

We know from an earlier Business Chronicle article about this project that it will include student housing (520 beds)  and 100,000 sf of office space.

• Like 1

This is great news Martinman. This meeting is tonight. So in a two block radius, you have three separate developers building three separate buildings ranging from 19 to 22 stories. I can really see retail taking off in this area. So another parking lot will soon bite the dust. I am curious about a rendering now. After tonight's meeting I am sure one will come available. 

So, from the meeting last night regarding the new 22 story mixed use tower at Centergy Center, all we get is a piece of rendering and a refresher story. I'll take what I can get at this moment. Did anyone posting on UP from Atlanta go to the meeting last night?

Below is the street-level treatment for the proposed tower. It's not too bad. It's pushed close to the street which is a plus. I am assuming that this is at the corner of Spring Street and the access street to the parking deck facing the Downtown Connecter. The architecture is pretty typical but I am glad to see that the street level will receive active use facilities. I particularly like what I am seeing in this area. Instead of one really tall residential building surrounded by nothingness, this area is potentially losing three plots/parking lots with three residential and/or mixed use buildings. The buildings are all different in styles as to not make the area look overly "planned". I look forward to seeing more renderings of this building. I am sure they are forthcoming...stay tuned.      

centergy-view-3*600.jpg

Centergy Two residential tower                                                                               Preston Partnership   

Read refresher article here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/10/developers-proposing-new-midtown.html

So, from the meeting last night regarding the new 22 story mixed use tower at Centergy Center, all we get is a piece of rendering and a refresher story. I'll take what I can get at this moment. Did anyone posting on UP from Atlanta go to the meeting last night?

Below is the street-level treatment for the proposed tower. It's not too bad. It's pushed close to the street which is a plus. I am assuming that this is at the corner of Spring Street and the access street to the parking deck facing the Downtown Connecter. The architecture is pretty typical but I am glad to see that the street level will receive active use facilities. I particularly like what I am seeing in this area. Instead of one really tall residential building surrounded by nothingness, this area is potentially losing three plots/parking lots with three residential and/or mixed use buildings. The buildings are all different in styles as to not make the area look overly "planned". I look forward to seeing more renderings of this building. I am sure they are forthcoming...stay tuned.      

centergy-view-3*600.jpg

Centergy Two residential tower                                                                               Preston Partnership   

Read refresher article here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/10/developers-proposing-new-midtown.html

You are correct regarding the location LC.  Its the same site where an office building for international consulates and businesses was proposed a few years ago.    I am pleased with the street level treatment for this one and I like that the context of brick buildings in the area was incorporated into design.

The strip of Midtown between 10th and 4th street now has 100 6th street (nearly complete), Seventh, University House Georgia Tech,  33 Peachtree Place, Peachtree @ 5th street, the GT HP Computing Center, and Centergy North in the works all of which will be built on what is at least partially a surface lot or temporary green space.  If all get built as planned, it will be a huge change in the feel of the area.  

Edited by Martinman

I forgot to mention another rumor of a new residential project that would replace a surface parking lot on Peachtree street in Midtown.  Given this little nugget of info, we can narrow the site to only a few locations since there aren't many surface lots left on Peachtree.  Development on any of those surface lots would be a HUGE plus for Midtown.  

The last rumor I mentioned (Amli project on West Peachtree) was confirmed by someone associated with the Midtown Alliance so for me, the validity of that one is solid.

I forgot to mention another rumor of a new residential project that would replace a surface parking lot on Peachtree street in Midtown.  Given this little nugget of info, we can narrow the site to only a few locations since there aren't many surface lots left on Peachtree.  Development on any of those surface lots would be a HUGE plus for Midtown.  

The last rumor I mentioned (Amli project on West Peachtree) was confirmed by someone associated with the Midtown Alliance so for me, the validity of that one is solid.

I agree Martinman...removing any parking lot from Peachtree Street is a plus. I look forward to hearing if this "speculation" will come to fruition.

As far as the Amli project on West Peachtree rumor that has been confirmed by someone associated with the Midtown Alliance. Is this the lot that was supposed to be where the Trump towers were proposed? If so...and you probably already mentioned it earlier...that was be wonderful.

It's as if Midtown is exploding in residential development. This bodes well for the vision of Midtown Mile. While most of this residential development is taking place blocks west of Peachtree St, it all adds up to a very vibrant community. If this momentum keeps up, there will be at least 3000 new residents added to the 30,000+ that call Midtown home already. That's not even including the 20,000+ college students in the area. Slowly but surely Atlanta is maturing.    

Construction Update #6.4

Midtown:

Perennial Properties Mixed-Usedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_8R0WF5SWg

West Midtown is buzzing. Perennial Properties wants to rezone 2.965 acres of property bounded by 9th Street, 8th Street, Brady Avenue and Howell Mill Road near where The Optimist restaurant currently sits and hopefully deliver a mixed-use development including 230 apartments and 9,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space wrapped around a multilevel parking deck by fall of 2014.

1071 Howell Millhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJKKv2tNfY

The property is a development site located across the street from White Provision at the intersection of Howell Mill Rd and Brady Ave. Currently improved with a 34,000 square foot warehouse building the property can either be renovated to provide approximately 12,000 rentable square feet of space or redeveloped for a 75,000 class A office building. I think developers are leaning towards to building the 3-5 floor office building seen in the render.

Odyssey Sportsplexhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25eBE-eiPgQ

I know this was proposed a while ago and might be dead but I've always wanted to see where it would be built if it was. Interesting location if I may say however major connectivity improvements will be needed to breach the RR tracks to connect this site with Atlantic Station. 

ChristChurch Presbyterianhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgZtr7Q26c

Atlanta’s ChristChurch Presbyterian has broken ground on a dramatic new sanctuary at 1740 Peachtree St. Unlike a traditional Southern or Gothic worship facility, the new church will feature an exciting modern design that will incorporate much of the site’s existing building and complement its urban 

Atlanta's Finest Freelance Audio/Visual Production Services

http://www.immovablemedia.net

http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmovableMedia

• 2 weeks later...

Thus far, all that we've learned about the Tivoli project is that it will have 249 units and be a called Yoo on the Park. Yoo is a "global property design firm" founded by British developer John Hitchcox and designer Philippe Starck.  This thumbnail rendering is from a website seeking equity partners for the project.  

Thumbnail.jpg

Demolition was started on the site of this project but there has not been any confirmation as to whether or not the project is moving forward.  I know that the buildings on the site had become probelms for the neighborhood so even if "Yoo on the Park" is not close to breaking ground this is good news.

Progress on Long Delayed Tower?

Midtown
I haven't been able to find any info on this proposed tower across the street from Arts Center MARTA Station on W. Peachtree St. It's on the map.atlantadev.com/ and I remember reading about it this year but I can't find a source. Little help?

IMO these townhomes will look out of place. 4 practically on-the-street uber modern units sandwiched inbetween a parking lot and a beautiful house. I wonder how the neighbors feel?

Even though residence have moved in, none of the retail has. It looks like a Burger Joint and a Mexican Restaurant have taken up signage on the doors but that's about it. If you look in the windows, it's still unfinished with no sign of construction. Why's it taking so long?

19 floors, 400,000-sqft project would include 350 apartments and 20,000 square feet of retail space.

A 12,000-square-foot historic home that overlooks the Woodruff Arts Center, is getting a $3 million renovation — transforming the property on 15th Street into an upscale restaurant and lounge, with a handful of luxury hotel suites

The renovation is almost 100% complete. The inside looks really good especially the lounge/bar. Excellent work!

The Crum & Forster Building: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNm2xXsmwYM
The back half of the building has been chopped off. It looks like a few pallets of the old bricks are being saved. Here's how it looked before. I asked local APD security what the crews were working on, he said the sidewalks.

Peachtree St and 10th St Pocket Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhM52hNFzt8
Badminton anyone? I wonder how long the rackets and birdies make it before they are stolen. They look unused. This pocket park also boasts an acoustic/artist performance space but I don't see it. Interesting park nevertheless

"Loudermilk purchased the retail component at Viewpoint from Novare and has plans to upgrade the facade as well as plans to open up additional space on the 7th street side in hopes of drawing a grocer like Fresh Market or Sprouts Farmer’s Market. Additionally, the space on the 7th street side would be converted into a flexible plaza / parking area." *Source It desperately needs an upgrade!

I can confirm site work is underway on this 17-floor student housing tower. I'm looking forward to this one!

The tower has topped out and so has the parking deck! It looks like Novare changed the crown, and painted the parking deck another color but other than that, it's pretty much cookie cutter SkyHouse Midtown. 

Georgia Proton Treatment Center: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK2dTDONX28
Construction is up to the 2nd floor.

Crews are working on the 2nd floor.

Unknown Building @ Williams St, 16th & Spring St: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmhjTDDCyew
Unknown Buildings @ Juniper St & 5th St: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X26QXx7P4rw
I ran across these walking between developments and I wanted to capture them before they either got bulldozed or redeveloped.

Thanks for the rendering Martinman. I have been quiet about this building because I don't like discussing proposals that take eons to come to fruition. With the demolition taking place on the site however, I am getting more giddy by the minute. I am surprised that a grocer has not scouted out a location close by. This particular area has a pretty decent density.

Also...

Immovable you are so valuable! Thanks for the videos. I watch them all.

Thanks for the rendering Martinman. I have been quiet about this building because I don't like discussing proposals that take eons to come to fruition. With the demolition taking place on the site however, I am getting more giddy by the minute. I am surprised that a grocer has not scouted out a location close by. This particular area has a pretty decent density.

Also...

Immovable you are so valuable! Thanks for the videos. I watch them all.

A grocer is still planned for the 12th & Midtown block across Crescent from 1010 Midtown.   A store at that location would serve the northern section of Midtown and all of the residential near the park quite nicely. 

A grocer is still planned for the 12th & Midtown block across Crescent from 1010 Midtown.   A store at that location would serve the northern section of Midtown and all of the residential near the park quite nicely. 

Yeah, that would be a nice fit; I could see a Trader Joe's there, although it might be a Publix.

The strip of Midtown between 10th and 4th street now has 100 6th street (nearly complete), Seventh, University House33 Peachtree Place, Peachtree @ 5th street, the GT HP Computing Center, and Centergy North in the works all of which will be built on what is at least partially a surface lot or temporary green space.  If all get built as planned, it will be a huge change in the feel of the area.  

Here's a visual of the area that will be getting a lot denser with all of the projects mentioned above.  Nearly complete Skyhouse South is visible and University House has already started site prep.

oyrl.png

• Like 1

Hey! That is an AWESOME sight to behold. I remember when Atlanta looked much sparser in it's central core. I can't believe how much it has changed since the Olympics. Now that urban living is back in vogue, the steady densification and eradication of huge surface lots should continue for the foreseeable future. I read recently that Novare plans another high rise in Buckhead. Another project was slated for a 39 story tower beside Phipps Plaza. What incredible growth. Having said that, I was stunned by Atlanta's 2010 census results. I expected it to be FAR higher than 420,000. As much residential construction that went on in the 2000's, I was sure it would approach 500,000. Of course the actual results revealed something few factored in-the rapid decline in the city's black population. I read an estimated 32,000 fled for DeKalb County during the decade. While all those young, white, single professionals were buying all those high rise condos, middle and upper class black families fled for the 'burbs. Who would've guessed this rapid reversal when all you heard for decades was "white flight."

I still think the 2010 undercounted my favorite city. The 2012 estimate says 443,000. Seems unlikely that it gained a whopping 23,000 in only 2 years.

Edited by modernurbanity