Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I agree Martinman, Midtown is going berzerk, lol.

This is great news. This announcement is coming on the heels of the Tivoli announcement of its 51 story apartment building with ground floor mall. So within a block, we could possibly have two 48 story, a 51 story and a 58 story apartment buildings with well over a thousand new inhabitants. That's not to mention the Tivoli "Trump site" apartment building waiting in the wings. 

I am most excited by the architect for this development. If constructed, these three towers will definitely redefine the Midtown skyline. I am noticing that the developments being announced of late are becoming smarter in their treatment of the surrounding built environment. There is the inclusion of retail at the base that will be accessible to all in the area. This is the smart, dense growth that we have been imagining for Atlanta...especially ITP.

I am curious as to if the hotel flag will be new to the Atlanta market. These are exciting times for the development and construction industry in Atlanta. And to think, Atlanta is flying totally under the radar.     

Okay another little tidbit from an "insider" regarding the still unannounced rumored Peachtree tower that is said to be 30-35-stories.  Based on this quote and other bits of info I now believe that 12th & Midtown will build their next phase at 1125 Peachtree street which was originally planned as an office tower.  If this happens, I think its a great opportunity to really create enough retail synergy with their other three phases around 12th street which is now 100% leased. :thumbsup:

The Midtown MARTA station site (33 Peachtree Place) and next phase of 12th and Midtown are likely to be the next deals out of ground and will likely be late spring. Though I have no idea on the Loudermilk condos at 7th.

Okay another little tidbit from an "insider" regarding the still unannounced rumored Peachtree tower that is said to be 30-35-stories.  Based on this quote and other bits of info I now believe that 12th & Midtown will build their next phase at 1125 Peachtree street which was originally planned as an office tower.  If this happens, I think its a great opportunity to really create enough retail synergy with their other three phases around 12th street which is now 100% leased. :thumbsup:

I LOVE the big city vibe and energy that block in Midtown gives me, so anything to expand it will be awesome.

I have to correct myself.  Everything at 12th and Midtown is leased except the Juniper st space.  I forgot about those spaces and it appears that potential retailers have as well. :dontknow:

In other news...

Amli has purchased the former Trump site.  The Business Chronicle article speculates that the project will soon be presented to the Midtown DRC and mentions that contractors have been pricing a project from 20-30 stories.

Amli buys former Trump Tower site

Edited by Martinman

Thanks for the update Martin. Regarding the space on Juniper, I feel that that will ALL be remedied when you get more residents in the area. I'm okay with it taking time. I'd much rather for the right services to go into those retail spots. When you consider the amount of announcements that have occurred recently in a tenth of a mile from Peachtree St and 12th Street, I can only imagine that even the Juniper side will become valuable.

Also...yay for Amli buying the lot. I hope we can see some cranes soon. My favorites are still the 14th Street and Trivoli's Peachtree announcements...and not because of the soaring heights. Critical mass is vital for the health of the Midtown community as well as retail along Midtown Mile.    

Edited by Lady Celeste

• 2 weeks later...

Plans have resurfaced for a two tower mixed use development at 17th and Spring streets. The image shown below is an original rendering for the office and residential tower which would also contain hospitality and 35k Sq. Ft retail.

lgmetcenterzl9.jpg

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2013/12/18/prerecession-plans-for-2tower-midtown-project-are-alive.php

Edited by Frankster87

• 3 weeks later...

The Woodruff Arts Center Foundation has sold the 14th Street Playhouse to the Savannah College of Arts and Design. The property is located at the corner of 14th Street and Juniper Street. SCAD will use the 14th Street Playhouse space to support its growing enrollment and to better serve its film and television degree programs, which were launched at the Atlanta campus during the fall of 2013. Proceeds from the same will be used to further the arts in the area.

The purchase of the 14th Street Playhouse continues the university’s partnership with the Woodruff Arts Center. SCAD’s 84,000-square-foot student residence hall is located on the grounds of the Woodruff Arts Center. The 150-bed facility, designed by Pritzker prize-winning architect Renzo Piano, also includes SCAD’s professionally-equipped sculpture studio.

It is great reading that this building will now be in use full time. It is also good to see local colleges and universities taking interest in the built environment in town.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/01/02/woodruff-arts-center-sells-14th-street.html

• 2 weeks later...

The second rumored Peachtree street project is finally coming to light.  It will be at 811 Peachtree on the block south of Viewpoint.  The Midtown DRC agenda for this Tuesday also includes the Amli project and will have follow-up on 1301 Peachtree, 782 Peachtree, and 1138 Peachtree.  Going to be a busy meeting. Here are the details on the two new projects.

NEW APPLICATION: 811 Peachtree Street
Project Type: New construction of a 35-story mixed-use project at the SE corner of Peachtree Street and 6th Street. The scope includes 391 apartment units and 25,000 SF of ground floor retail. Eight levels of structured parking will accommodate 550+ vehicles.

NEW APPLICATION: Amli Arts Center
Project Type: New construction of a 30-story apartment tower with 351 units and 3,400 SF of retail. Located on the former Trump site, the project has frontage on both West Peachtree and Spring Street. Parking (551 spaces) will be provided in a separate precast parking structure fronting on Spring.

Edited by Martinman
  • Like 1

811 Peachtree, 782 Peachtree and the Viewpoint retail remodel will do wonders for that stretch of Peachtree Street. That means that another parking lot will vanish. Who can't be happy about that prospect? 25,000 square feet of retail is a very sizable amount for one residential building. I wonder what could go there. Maybe a grocer. At 35 stories, it will be roughly the size of Viewpoint. If approve and built, both 782 and 811 could add 750+ on top of the many people already living on that stretch of Peachtree.

I am curious as to what new information will be shared about 1138 Peachtree. At a propsed 51 stories, it is by far the tallest tangible proposal we have to date in Midtown. Hopefully they relocated the curb cut on Peachtree Street. I guess we will have to be patient and wait until the meeting on Tuesday. 

Great news.... 

WOW! There is nothing in Atlanta that looks like this. I tend to be more reserved in my taste but it's so different that I love it. The green glass panels adoring the balconies are genius! This is right across 6th Street from Viewpoint and Skyhouse South. The street level presence is great and it adds 25000 square feet of retail space to the Midtown Mile. It also takes out an entire parking lot. This is the type of project that is needed to make Atlanta's density meet that magical critical mass number.

This will definitely stand out in the skyline. I'm excited about this one. 

Okay, I have examined the renderings thoroughly. Am I the only one who feels that the retail space bordering Peachtree Street and 6th Street should be a grocery store? I know that there is a Publix at the base of Plaza Midtown, a few blocks to the west, but there also needs to be a full service grocer to service those east of Peachtree Street. If just half of the residential proposals in the immediate area come to fruition...and we hope they ALL are constructed...then there will be a severe need for another grocery store in the area.

That one Publix can not possible serve the thousands of new people in the area. To make the area even more attractive, I would think you would want daily services as well as high end fashion stores, furniture stores and/or restaurants.     

Okay, I have examined the renderings thoroughly. Am I the only one who feels that the retail space bordering Peachtree Street and 6th Street should be a grocery store? I know that there is a Publix at the base of Plaza Midtown, a few blocks to the west, but there also needs to be a full service grocer to service those east of Peachtree Street. If just half of the residential proposals in the immediate area come to fruition...and we hope they ALL are constructed...then there will be a severe need for another grocery store in the area.

That one Publix can not possible serve the thousands of new people in the area. To make the area even more attractive, I would think you would want daily services as well as high end fashion stores, furniture stores and/or restaurants.     

I agree that there needs to be another grocery store or two in Midtown's core but I don't think it necessarily needs to be in this location.     I also doubt that two side of glass shown in the rendering would work for a grocer.

Edited by Martinman

I don't think 1138 Peachtree is going to be 51 floors unfortunately - I cant find any recent article naming the floor count.  I know the original proposal in 2007 was 51 stories, but the rendering shown in the brochure shows something much smaller than the surrounding buildings, and from zooming in and attempting to count the floors in the rendering, it doesnt look like it could be taller than 35-floors. Resolution makes it hard to count the floors though, but I do like the design shown.

http://flyers.cushmanwakefield.com/flyers/1138%20Peachtree%20Marketing%20Brochure.pdf

Edited by andremurra

I don't think 1138 Peachtree is going to be 51 floors unfortunately - I cant find any recent article naming the floor count.  I know the original proposal in 2007 was 51 stories, but the rendering shown in the brochure shows something much smaller than the surrounding buildings, and from zooming in and attempting to count the floors in the rendering, it doesnt look like it could be taller than 35-floors. Resolution makes it hard to count the floors though, but I do like the design shown.

http://flyers.cushmanwakefield.com/flyers/1138%20Peachtree%20Marketing%20Brochure.pdf

Andre...the developers have gone before the Midtown Review Board TWICE with a 51 story proposal. They were before the board as recent as last Tuesday night (01.14.14) to address some concerns regarding the parking deck treatment. I am not in Atlanta mostly but from what I have read by those who attended last Tuesday's meeting, the proposal presented was still a 51 story proposal.

The picture you reference posted below:

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-12%20at%2010.35.

This is clearly not a "to scale" representation of the proposal. It is merely an illustration of the location of the proposal in reference to the Midtown community. From what I was told by a meeting attendee, it is not even an accurate representation of the building shown before the review board. The design is still being tweaked. I can't imagine Tivoli going before the Review Board TWICE with a 51 story proposal when they are in fact only considering a 35 story proposal. I could be wrong....

Here is a link to the agenda from the January 14, 2014 meeting just for follow up verification.

http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/docs/agenda-01-14-14.pdf 

7:30 FOLLOW-UP:    1138 Peachtree Street 
Project Type:              New construction of 51-story tower fronting Peachtree Street containing 370 luxury 
                                      residential units and approximately 39,000 SF of retail with a mix of shops, deli’s and a 
                                      restaurant overlooking Peachtree. 
Applicant(s):               Mark Valliere, [email protected] 

I will apologize upfront because this is a NOT a development oriented post. 

Congratulations to the Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta for receiving AAA's Five Diamond Award AND Forbes' Five Star designations. 

four-seasons-atlanta-careers-logo.jpg

The hotel has been designated as such for many years now. I feel it's quite impressive considering the other ultra exclusive hotels in the Atlanta market. I am surprised with the Mandarin Oriental and the St Regis. Both flags are very exclusive brands that are known for their top notch service. While both flags are "relatively" new to the Atlanta market, I would have imagined at least one of them also getting the dual top designations also. Perhaps next year will be the year. I placed this in the Midtown section because the Four Season is located in Midtown.  

Why is this important? 

Notching a spot at the top of either list is coveted by the hospitality community because it brings prestige and allows the properties to command top dollar for rooms, often starting at $500 a night.

Other Atlanta hotels did receive designations however and they too are to be commended.

AAA Five Diamond hotels: 

Four Seasons Atlanta       Midtown

St. Regis Atlanta               Buckhead

Ritz Carlton                       Downtown

Ritz Carlton                       Buckhead

Intercontinental                 Buckhead

AAA Four Diamond hotels:

Mandarin Oriental             Buckhead

Loews                               Midtown

Omni CNN Center             Downtown

JW Marriott                       Buckhead

Renaissance Concourse  Atlanta Airport

Westin                              Buckhead

Renaissance                    Midtown

Westin                              Atlanta Airport

Evergreen Marriott           Stone Mountain

Grand Hyatt                      Buckhead

W                                      Downtown

W                                      Buckhead

W                                      Midtown

Renaissance Waverly       Atlanta Airport

Forbes is a bit more particular..........

Forbes Five Star hotels:

Four Seasons Atlanta       Midtown

Forbes Four Star hotels: 

St Regis                            Buckhead

Loews                               Midtown

Mandarin Oriental             Buckhead

Ritz Carlton                       Downtown

Ritz Carlton                       Buckhead

Intercontinetal                   Buckhead 

Edited by Lady Celeste

Wow!  You know I never realized how many top of the line hotels there are in Atlanta.

I think many people in metro Atlanta don't realize the abundance of ultra-luxury hotels in Atlanta. Especially those luxury hotels in Atlanta city proper. At one time even Waldorf Astoria was looking for a place. Of course this was before the Great Recession. There are very few well known top of the line flags that are not represented in the Atlanta hotel market.

On another note, I am surprised to see the omission of a few hotels from the list. I would have imagined these hotels being included also. They are:

1) Westin Peachtree Plaza               Downtown

2) Crowne Plaza Ravinia                  Perimeter Center 

3) Hyatt Regency                              Downtown

4) Le Meridien                                  Perimeter Center

5) Marriott Marquis                           Downtown

6) Westin Atlanta North                    Perimeter Center 

I guess these facilities can only muster AAA's Three Diamonds or Forbes' Three Stars. Being so close to the convention center, I would imagine that the Downtown facilities would want at least a Four Diamond/Star designation. 

Edited by Lady Celeste