Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I agree about the Westside becoming a major venue for the clubs. Downtown could work, but there's more space out on the Westside.

BTW: If you haven't heard, or been yet, they've opened a new "Six Feet Under" on 11th Street between Northside & Howell Mill. The rooftop patio has awesome views of the city from Downtown all the way to Buckhead. (On a clear day anyway, probably not today with the smoke.)

And there's no cemetery across the street from this one. :)

On Piedmont, sort of across from Terminus and Tower Place.

Oh that Kroger in that God-awful suburban strip plaza that is in the heart of what has become urban Buckhead. The center across the street (with Copelands Restaurant) is a GREAT design with retail up to the street and parking in back - as it should be.

The Barnes and Noble/Publix shopping center on Peachtree is terribly suburban too, as are the McDonalds, Wendys, and Burger King Restaurants. At least the Chick-fil-A is built up to the street. The others are typical suburban style crap on our signature street.

Edited by perimeter285

I doubt Buckhead will ever become a true urban area. I think people will always prefer to drive than walk in Buckhead.

Well, you never know. The people who brought you downtown, Midtown, the Arts Center, the High Museum, the pro sports teams, the Symphony, the Olympics, the Aquarium, Emory University, the World of Coke, the History Center, etc., etc., are mostly in Buckhead, so maybe they'll fix up their own stomping grounds, too.

Well, you never know. The people who brought you downtown, Midtown, the Arts Center, the High Museum, the pro sports teams, the Symphony, the Olympics, the Aquarium, Emory University, the World of Coke, the History Center, etc., etc., are mostly in Buckhead, so maybe they'll fix up their own stomping grounds, too.

While I never expect the "older" Buckhead crowd to walk to the shops etc... I think once the whole Peachtree Blvd project is finish you'll see a lot more people park their car somewhere and walk around for the afternoon/evening.

I'm in the Buckhead District almost daily now. From what I see, there are many more people walking this area than it used to be. I find this fascinating taking in consideration all the construction going on in the area. Once Terminus, The Sovereign, Realm, The Mansion and CityPlace @ Buckhead join the other residential highrises in the area, I'm sure more and more people will walk. Buckhead has the potential and the drive to become alot more "urban" than it is now. I don't think it will ever be in the true sense of say a Manhattan. It is, however, improving right before our eyes. I would never say it will never become more urban or new urban. If the could redevelop the Disco Kroger and bring it to the street with rear or park deck parking, it would go a long way in making the area desirable.

I can also imagine that once the Peachtree Blvd project is complete and the Buckhead Avenues come on line, more and more people can partake in walking. Will they? That is for the future. Can they? They will definitely have the option to walk. If the get too tired then they can always hop on the BUC. Oftentimes, when I consider ever moving to the city for an urban highrise experience, the Buckhead Business District catches my eye. Fine dining, fine shopping, access to public transportation and great potential are great ingredients for a great living experience. For my taste, the Buckhead Business District gives Midtown some serious competition.

I can also imagine that once the Peachtree Blvd project is complete and the Buckhead Avenues come on line, more and more people can partake in walking. Will they? That is for the future. Can they? They will definitely have the option to walk. If the get too tired then they can always hop on the BUC. Oftentimes, when I consider ever moving to the city for an urban highrise experience, the Buckhead Business District catches my eye. Fine dining, fine shopping, access to public transportation and great potential are great ingredients for a great living experience. For my taste, the Buckhead Business District gives Midtown some serious competition.

If, as an Atlanta native, I can stay out of my car (once I'm at work) and walk anywhere in Buckhead instead of getting in my car just to go to lunch, anyone can. It's all about perception and right now Atlanta and the majority of the people who commute to it from the burbs have the perception that it is still difficult to get anywhere in the city without getting in your car.

But I agree 100% that more and more people are walking the streets than they used to and the more the entire area develops it's street life, the more it will happen. And to your point of hopping on the BUC, I think it's another reason the streetcar must get built. You can only take the BUC so far south. I'd rather ride a streetcar to Midtown from Buckhead than MARTA anyday. Imagine a day like today, as gorgeous as it is outside and being able to ride with the windows down and catch some of the new construction going on!

:offtopic: This is so off topic from Midtown development, I apologize to everyone.

If, as an Atlanta native, I can stay out of my car (once I'm at work) and walk anywhere in Buckhead instead of getting in my car just to go to lunch, anyone can. It's all about perception and right now Atlanta and the majority of the people who commute to it from the burbs have the perception that it is still difficult to get anywhere in the city without getting in your car.

You are right. It is all about preception. I, for one, am having to rethink how I deal with an "urban" environment. Instead of wearing a skirt suit with no top underneath, I now wear the suit with a sleeveless top. This helps for when I get warm, I can take the blazer off. I also have to rethink my shoes. I'm a lover of heels but sidewalks will do number on hills. I do not walk the streets with more than five carats, nor do I try to look lost. I have yet to have a really bad experience.

I have a client who moved to Atlanta from San Francisco she says 26 years ago. She says she has been outside the perimeter perhaps 10 times. I find that fascinating. Some of my clients are opting for intown living. I cannot say that they are necessarily looking for highrise living but they are looking in the Mount Paran/Tuxedo Park/Morningside/VA Highland/Ansley Park areas. As more people come

But I agree 100% that more and more people are walking the streets than they used to and the more the entire area develops it's street life, the more it will happen. And to your point of hopping on the BUC, I think it's another reason the streetcar must get built. You can only take the BUC so far south. I'd rather ride a streetcar to Midtown from Buckhead than MARTA anyday. Imagine a day like today, as gorgeous as it is outside and being able to ride with the windows down and catch some of the new construction going on!

My only concern with riding a trolley, bus or whatever to Midtown is why? Why not just jump on Marta and a few stations later you are in Midtown. I'm not saying that the streetcar is not needed. I know that I would just take the train to Midtown/Downtown before I ride a street vehicle. It will always be at the mercy of traffic. Your comment about riding with a window open/down....no...not to have my hairstyle blown to smithereens. (sp?)

I have a client who moved to Atlanta from San Francisco she says 26 years ago. She says she has been outside the perimeter perhaps 10 times. I find that fascinating. Some of my clients are opting for intown living. I cannot say that they are necessarily looking for highrise living but they are looking in the Mount Paran/Tuxedo Park/Morningside/VA Highland/Ansley Park areas. As more people come

My only concern with riding a trolley, bus or whatever to Midtown is why? Why not just jump on Marta and a few stations later you are in Midtown. I'm not saying that the streetcar is not needed. I know that I would just take the train to Midtown/Downtown before I ride a street vehicle. It will always be at the mercy of traffic. Your comment about riding with a window open/down....no...not to have my hairstyle blown to smithereens. (sp?)

I look at the Street Car as a more short-trip option and would certainly prefer MARTA or a Taxi to get to Buckhead from my condo in Midtown. What I would really expect to use a Street Car for is the short 7-12 block trip. Like from 7th Street, where I live, to the High Museum and that area for the many people that live around Colony Square to be able to take it to the Fox etc...

I really hope they get started on a phased implementation of it now that they appear to have stopped making it's proposed route longer-and-longer. The route from Downtown to the north end of Midtown should be the easiest to implement because of the straightness of Peachtree in this area and the alternative parallel traffic routes - for the cars until people get used to driving with it.

:offtopic:

I have a freind from Germany that has been here for about 20 years, has lived in the same building next to Piedmont the entire time and wouldn't go OTP if they were giving money away.

I know it's off topic, but it kinda relates to Atlanta development since it's transportation based, right. I promise this is my last post on this...

For the average joe, absolutely riding MARTA from Buckhead to Midtown makes much more sense. I, on the otherhand, am a freak for development so I'd probably choose to ride the streetcar from BH to MT only to see the development because I never really get to since anytime I'm heading that way I'm either underground on MARTA or driving because my wife doesn't want to.

My point was basically having the option to take either MARTA or a streetcar, whichever one fits into where you want to go. Buckhead to Brookhaven = Streetcar. Buckhead to MT/DT = MARTA. It's having the various options that make people stop and think and say, "Why don't I just take the streetcar down 7 blocks in the July heat instead of driving down there".

• 2 weeks later...

The Midtown Alliance is scheduled to review a project proposal for 131 Ponce De Leon on June 25th.

Two 32- story buildings will share the lot with the Abbey. There's also a two story building on the site that was built in 1951 which was one of I.M. Pei first projects so there might be some opposition to the proposal.

Based on the site plan, one is all residential and the other hotel and residential. The project also plans 50,000 sf of retail and a small amount of office space.

The site plan is here

Edited by Martinman

The Midtown Alliance is scheduled to review a project proposal for 131 Ponce De Leon on June 25th.

Two 32- story buildings will share the lot with the Abbey. There's also a two story building on the site that was built in 1951 which was one of I.M. Pei first projects so there might be some opposition to the proposal.

Based on the site plan, one is all residential and the other hotel and residential. The project also plans 50,000 sf of retail and a small amount of office space.

The site plan is here

I think this development for this site is a good thing. I really hope that the I.M. Pei building is saved. If not for it's architectural beauty then because of it's significance to modernist architecture. Two 32 story buildings are proposed. Wow. I wonder if either of them is slated for rental. While I like all the development...mostly of it I should say...going on in the inner core, I really wished that someone would add more highrise rental to the mix. At any rate, this is a part of lower Midtown that could use some more residents to encourage more retail. Perhaps the I.M. Pei building could be a club house or gathering area of sorts.

This weeks Business Chronicle has an article on 12th & Midtown adding a Phase IV which will front Crescent Ave across from 1010. Its currently in the design stages but will include up to 80,000 sf of retail and residential. Once again they cite "overwhelming" interest from retailers as one of the reasons for proceeding with planning the fourth phase. They also say that interest in 1010 has been brisk and that they'll announce office, hotel and retail tenants in the next few months. :good:

Also the plaza/fountain area at 999 Peachtree has been fenced hopefully in preperation for demolition and construction of the 50,000 sf of retail planned there. This is important to having the critical mass of retail to not only attract the kind of retailers desired but to make it successful once they're here.

Edited by Martinman

There have been persistent rumors that Mandarin Oriental has decided not to go with the developer of 1138 Peachtree below. Tivoli did say that it will be a 5-star hotel even if its not a Mandarin.

1138_Peachtree.jpg

On the positive side, the mayor is said to have made a comment in Business to Business magazine about Mandarin being a part of another Midtown project that will be a new tallest. :whistling: I think every skyscraper fan in Atlanta is scrambling find a Business to Business magazine as we speak.

Edited by Martinman

That is an awesome looking tower in my opinion, and I sure hope to see this one go up before the condo market slows down. There have been a few post that Atlanta's condo market is starting to slow. I hope not!! Thanks for the great pic. rendering of the tower Martinman.

Edited by kennethdisraili

What other 5-star hotels are out there? Is Ritz still looking for a Midtown site? Obviously 4-seasons is too close, and I doubt St. Regis would open two in such a short time-span. Shangri-La is expanding in North America. Also, Ian Schrager (of Studio 54 infamy) is supposed to be leading a new concept of hip-luxury for Marriott (though it is probably more in line with a W) Maybe Taj Hotels and Resorts?

A new tallest? Really?

For what its worth, this is the source of the rumor. It's in a roundtable type discussion in the magazine entitled "Atlanta's Leaders Predict the Future"

DC_2502751.jpg

In other news...

One Museum Place is now two towers (12-15 stories) and has launched a website. No rendering however. Some info from the website....

-Approximately one hundred distinctive residences starting at $2,000,000

-Residences range from 2,000-6,000 square feet

-Private access elevators

-10,000 square foot private dining club offering resident room service

-15,000 square foot art gallery programmed in conjunction with the High Museum

Edited by Martinman

That is good news to hear about the Mandarin Hotel Company according to Mayor Franklin, because Signature Tower is going to go up in Nashville standing at 1,042 feet and our Bank of America Plaza is 1,023 feet. So we would loose the title of having the tallest building in the Southeast, and the tallest tower outside of New York and Chicago. This is great news Martinman that we may in fact retain the title of having the tallest tower in the Southeastern U.S. Thanks for this info!!!! :thumbsup: