Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

We all love construction photos.

First announced in July 2013, Ambling is in full construction mode of its 19 story student housing tower aimed at Georgia Tech students. The student housing will be across Spring Street from the Publix and Plaza Midtown. It is scheduled to be ready for the 2015 Fall Semester.

Early Winter 2014:

KBD7NRZ.png

The building:

Front

930-spring-street-rendering.jpg

Back

gatech001-thumb.png

Here is a link to the agenda from the January 14, 2014 meeting just for follow up verification.

http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/docs/agenda-01-14-14.pdf 

Well - thats good. A 35-floor building would not add much to that area of midtown.  I could not find a citation to the 51-floor count other than this website.  The building in the photo is clearly not 51-stories if you zoom in and count them... I wonder what features of the rendering above will be 'taller' or if it will look anything like that.  Yay for 50+ floors.

I think it is a wee bit early for such a proclamation but....

Travel and Leisure Magazine has designated the still under construction Ponce City Market as "World's Coolest New Tourist

Attraction" list for 2014.

201401-w-worlds-coolest-new-tourist-attr

Here's what Travel and Leisure says about PCM:

Just off the BeltLine—Atlanta’s network of trails and parks that follow former rail lines—a $250 million redevelopment is turning a massive Sears, Roebuck & Co. into a multiuse beacon of regenerative cool. Openings this fall will include a Central Food Hall modeled after NYC’s Chelsea Market, retail, and an expansive rooftop garden, with mini-golf come spring 2015, as well as offices and residences. There’ll even be a BeltLine-accessible outdoor bar made from a repurposed boxcar.

Well...that is special and we definitely will take such a designation with extreme delight. Anything that encourages more tourism is a great thing. It also fills up Atlanta's plethora of hotel rooms. Being on the Beltine will be a clear win for Ponce City Market. The Beltline opens it up to a vast array of intown communities. The development has recently attracted several tech companies and choice retail. I think it will be a hit once it opens.   

Source: http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/worlds-coolest-new-tourist-attractions-2014/7

1010 Midtown only has one for sale unit left!

18_07174355_0_1382658748.jpg

After five years, 1010 Midtown has almost sold out. It came on the market at the height of the Great Recession. Now, the 35 story condo building has only one unit left. There are 425 units total in the building. The ground level retail has been doing amazingly well. Why is this so important? Well, because condo inventory has fallen to a low not seen in many years. This bodes well for the Midtown Mile retail establishments as well as the Peachtree @ 7th Street proposal. The Peachtree @ 7th St proposal would go where the Starbucks is currently located.

I would also imagine that some of the other recent residential proposals in the immediate area...(there are eight proposals in a quarter mile radius of 1010 Midtown, which range from 19 to 56 stories)...might consider going condo. With the condo market doing so well from Downtown to Buckhead, it would only stand to reason that at least one of these buildings going condo. Time will will but it is awesome that people are filling up the current inventory. This is vital for a vibrant and bustling Midtown community. We don't want to just propose them...we want developers to build them and people fill them. In light of last week's snow debacle, living intown may become even more attractive. 

1010 Midtown only has one for sale unit left!

After five years, 1010 Midtown has almost sold out. It came on the market at the height of the Great Recession. Now, the 35 story condo building has only one unit left. There are 425 units total in the building. The ground level retail has been doing amazingly well. Why is this so important? Well, because condo inventory has fallen to a low not seen in many years. This bodes well for the Midtown Mile retail establishments as well as the Peachtree @ 7th Street proposal. The Peachtree @ 7th St proposal would go where the Starbucks is currently located.

I would also imagine that some of the other recent residential proposals in the immediate area...(there are eight proposals in a quarter mile radius of 1010 Midtown, which range from 19 to 56 stories)...might consider going condo. With the condo market doing so well from Downtown to Buckhead, it would only stand to reason that at least one of these buildings going condo. Time will will but it is awesome that people are filling up the current inventory. This is vital for a vibrant and bustling Midtown community. We don't want to just propose them...we want developers to build them and people fill them. In light of last week's snow debacle, living intown may become even more attractive. 

With virtually no new inventory on the horizon, it has become a free for all for the remaining unsold condo inventory.  Even the W Downtown is quickly approaching sellout, and I say "even" only because it was very slow selling when it was completed at the height of the recession.  They are great units in a not so ideal location.

Perhaps this also bodes well for the "boutique" condo proposals in Midtown.  One Museum Place - 48 units, Seventh - 21 units, Ansley Green - 6 units.

Ansley Green

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-30%20at%209.33.0

Edited by Martinman

Plans have been filed for massive Midtown development!

midtown-bs2*304.jpg

Site of the proposed development.

On February 5th, plans where formally filed with the city of Atlanta for the massive three tower development proposed for the "symphony center" site on 14th St. Located at 98 14th Street, the 4.5 acre site is sandwiched between the 41 story 1180 Peachtree building and the 50 story One Atlantic Center building. It is also located across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel. 

Highlights of the project:

• nearly 2 million square feet of development between three towers
  • one tower will soar 60 stories - will mix hotel with residential
  • two residential towers -one fronting 14th street at 57 stories and the other 39 stories
  • in total the development will have 90,000 square feet retail of shops and restaurants
  • 1300 apartment units
  • 340 hotel rooms
  • 1500 below ground parking spaces
  • development team - New York based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp
  • Arquitectonica - architect design firm charged with the project ​

It's expected the developers will file plans with the Georgia Department of Community Affairs because the project is large enough to qualify as a “development of regional impact,” or DRI.

I am so glad to see this moving forward so quickly. As many will remember, this was first announced in November.  I also see that the height of two of the towers were increased. That is interesting in and of itself. 

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2014/02/plans-filed-for-symphony-center-site.html

With virtually no new inventory on the horizon, it has become a free for all for the remaining unsold condo inventory.  Even the W Downtown is quickly approaching sellout, and I say "even" only because it was very slow selling when it was completed at the height of the recession.  They are great units in a not so ideal location.

Perhaps this also bodes well for the "boutique" condo proposals in Midtown.  One Museum Place - 48 units, Seventh - 21 units, Ansley Green - 6 units.

Ansley Green

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-30%20at%209.33.0

Martinman, something tells me that with today's filing with the city by Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp, we may have been given the first sign of a development going condo. I would imagine that the 60 story building; that will share space with a hotel, will go condo. Also telling is that the number of units dropped from the initial proposal back in November. This happens while at the same time the height of two of the buildings increased. How timely it is for this filing...less than 24 hours after we mentioned the lack of condo inventory in the Midtown, Buckhead and even Downtown districts.   

Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp has very deep pockets. They can afford to deliver 350 - 400 condo units and wait for them to be absorbed. I would imagine that the hotel flag to be a luxury offering. The Ritz Carlton had at one time fancied a location in Midtown. I would not be surprised if the flag is new to the Atlanta market however. I'm not big on speculating so I will wait till more comes out. This is a prime location for what is quickly becoming a very dense part of Midtown.

I wonder what this quick filling will mean for the 51 story 1138 Peachtree proposal. Both proposals are but a stones throw away from one another. Again, with the developers deep pockets, I can see them moving forward as soon as all paperwork has been finalized. Tivoli on the other hand...well time will tell. I don't think this proposal will having any bearing over Loudermilk's 7th and Peachtree proposal or the One Museum Place proposals. They are essentially different markets. Some people place a premium on views and others place the premium on privacy. At 60 stories, the 98 14th St tower could soar 720+ feet into the Midtown sky. That would make quite the impact. With Arquitectonica as the architects, they would make quite the architectural impact as well.   

However this may turn out, I am happy to see that the developers are opting for underground parking as opposed to parking decks. I am interested in the renderings now.   

So, after yesterday's fabulous announcement, we are now learning more information about the 98 14th Street development. The new information released in yesterday's filing with the city reveals more details that were previously unknown. These developers mean business. They are definitely making quite the splash with their entrance into the Atlanta market. 

From the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Tower C

- 60 stories

- hotel

- 300 residential units

Tower B

- 57 stories 

- up to 500 residential units

Tower A

- 39 stories

- up to 500 residential units

At 1,661 feet tall, Tower C would in fact eclipse Atlanta's currently tallest building...the Bank of America Plaza at 1,023 feet tall.

A two-story open retail mall will serve “as an internal focal point of the development.” Ground-floor retail also will line 14th Street, wrapping around a portion of each tower.

In total, the project could include 90,000 square feet of shops and restaurants, 1,300 apartments, 340 hotel rooms and about 1,500 parking spaces. The development team includes Olympia Heights Management LLC and international design firm Arquitectonica.

Here we have a preliminary rendering of the towers:

smyphony-tower*304.jpg

Renderings of the proposed Tower B, left, and Tower C at 98 Fourteenth Street in Midtown Atlanta.

If the height is being reported correctly then it would appear that Tower B will also be above 1,000 feet tall. I can hardly wait till more definitive renderings are released. Okay Ashton Kutcher...if you are going to pop out, do it now. This is just too much to bear at the moment.  

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2014/02/details-revealed-for-massive-midtown.html    

p.s.- I am going to go out on a limb and assume that the source meant 1061 feet tall and not 1,661 feet tall.           That would still give Atlanta a new tallest.   

Reason for edit: the ABC article on which this post was originally written has been amended. Height for Tower C was removed from original article. I will remove the height from my post above but leave the remaining post intact.    

Edited by Lady Celeste
  • Like 1

Hello everyone!

I believe the elevations in the rendering were shown as feet above sea level and were mis-interpreted as heights. The existing ground surface at the site is at approximately 950 in elevation per Fulton County GIS, making the tower about 710' tall if my assumption is correct. That would give the tower a average floor height of 11'-10", instead of a ludicris 27'. Just my 2 cents... regardless, I'm exicted abou this improving my view :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

I believe the elevations in the rendering were shown as feet above sea level and were mis-interpreted as heights. The existing ground surface at the site is at approximately 950 in elevation per Fulton County GIS, making the tower about 710' tall if my assumption is correct. That would give the tower a average floor height of 11'-10", instead of a ludicris 27'. Just my 2 cents... regardless, I'm exicted abou this improving my view :)

Makes total sense and way more logical. Thank you for your contribution and welcome Kh9142. At 710' for Tower C, 620+' for Tower B and 430' for Tower A, that will still make quite the impact on the Atlanta skyline.

I'm about to email the ABC immediately. 

Makes total sense and way more logical. Thank you for your contribution and welcome Kh9142. At 710' for Tower C, 620+' for Tower B and 430' for Tower A, that will still make quite the impact on the Atlanta skyline.

I'm about to email the ABC immediately. 

Yes, the impact to the skyline will be substantial, and the added 1,500+ people living in this area (not including hotel guests) will make a huge difference in Midtown. It's practically another 12th and midtown.

Now, if it only gets built...

Looks pretty clear to me that the elevation is showing the silhouette of One Atlantic Center off to the left (and what looks like the pedestal of 1180 Peachtree to the right), and if that's to scale, we can assume the roof of Tower C will probably be almost exactly up to the golden tip of One Atlantic. So that's hopefully closer to 800'. Of course, regardless of exact height, this would be fantastic!

Looks pretty clear to me that the elevation is showing the silhouette of One Atlantic Center off to the left (and what looks like the pedestal of 1180 Peachtree to the right), and if that's to scale, we can assume the roof of Tower C will probably be almost exactly up to the golden tip of One Atlantic. So that's hopefully closer to 800'. Of course, regardless of exact height, this would be fantastic!

Welcome south park county.

I guess in due time we will have more definitive information on the heights of each tower. For now I will refrain from speculating. But I love reading other's thoughts on the matter.

I would think that this proposal will be on the agenda at the next Midtown Review Board meeting in March. In addition to the potential height of Towers B and C, I am intrigued by the two story open retail mall at the base of the building(s). This would seem to be a challenge to the 1138 Peachtree proposal as they too are adding a "mall" to their base. With retail doing so well at the 12th & Midtown complex, perhaps there is room for more. Both proposals are close to transit and can serve not only the thousands of nearby residents and tens of thousands of office workers in walking distance, but also act as a pseudo "shopping center" for the area.  

The tension...positive of course...is mounting. Is there room for three buildings of 50+ stories no more than 500 feet from one another? Let the race begin.

First announced last September, tree removal is now taking place at the 33 Peachtree Place site. Wood Partners had said that they wanted to start construction on the 19 story mixed use development in the first half of 2014. This takes away a really big parking lot right across from the Midtown MARTA Station. I'm just thrilled to see these proposals go from talk to reality in months. More information and a rendering of 33 Peachtree Place can be found on page 33 of this section.

The developers of the proposed mega project at 98th 14th Street have taken another step towards reality by filing with the State of Georgia's Development of Regional Impact division on February 11th. This is necessary due to the scope of the project. The developers clearly mean business and are serious about this proposal. I am assured that this will move quickly through the state towards approval.

Two more Midtown tower proposals

12th & Midtown Developers, Selig Enterprises and Daniel Corporation, are planning to break ground THIS YEAR on two more highrises in a major expansion of their development at the intersection of Peachtree and 12th street.

• Phase 3B (this is what I'm calling it) - 11th and Crescent on the same block as 7712th street will have 300 apartments and 18,000 sf of retail.
  • Phase 4 will be on their empty lot at 1125 Peachtree. It will have 350 apartments and180 condos. The highrise will be 50-stories

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2014/02/14/two-more-new-towers-planned-for-midtown.html?page=all

This is the most recent rendering that we had for 1125 Peachtree when it was going to be office and boutique hotel. 

attachment.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Wow, it is becoming a task to keep up with just the 50 story plus proposals. There is an interesting precedence being set for high rise residential in the Midtown district in terms of height and ground level retail. We may have to make a list of all of the recent proposals just to keep up. I'm very bullish on the Daniel Selig proposal because most of their paperwork is already on file.

The Midtown Mile is really solidifying. The apartment absorption rate has been amazing in the Midtown District in the last few quarters. Also rent/sq ft are at a historical high in said submarket. So barring no financing issues, I can see many of these proposals actually being built. This is great for an increasingly urban vibe.

Wow, it is becoming a task to keep up with just the 50 story plus proposals. There is an interesting precedence being set for high rise residential in the Midtown district in terms of height and ground level retail. We may have to make a list of all of the recent proposals just to keep up. I'm very bullish on the Daniel Selig proposal because most of their paperwork is already on file.

The Midtown Mile is really solidifying. The apartment absorption rate has been amazing in the Midtown District in the last few quarters. Also rent/sq ft are at a historical high in said submarket. So barring no financing issues, I can see many of these proposals actually being built. This is great for an increasingly urban vibe.

A couple of people have been hinting at the likelihood of the next 12th & Midtown tower moving forward and looks like they knew of what they spoke.   After Buckhead went crazy last year, its been quite a busy few months in Midtown for tower proposals.   Obviously none of them have broken ground yet but if someone told me a year ago that we would have four proposed towers of 50-stories or more all within 3 blocks of one another,  I would have strongly suggested they seek medical attention.

Edited by Martinman

It is being reported that soil testing is occurring at the site of the future 811 Peachtree apartment tower...

southday_zps0f9890fe.jpg

Here is a picture from 2.24.14 of the site....

B4136B95-6EE0-4609-9F3A-B58FA34BDB59.jpgPhoto courtesy of Kamden99

In the photo above, the 35 story Viewpoint is to the left and the newly completed Skyhouse 2.0 is to the left. Kamden99 is reporting that the space at the bottom of the Viewpoint facing the future 811 Peachtree building is slated to be an "urban" grocery store. The Viewpoint's retail spaces along Peachtree St and 6th Street are currently undergoing renovation. While this is not full on construction, it is great to see that Intergral Group is serious about getting the 35 story 811 Peachtree building from proposal to reality.  

A couple of people have been hinting at the likelihood of the next 12th & Midtown tower moving forward and looks like they knew of what they spoke.   After Buckhead went crazy last year, its been quite a busy few months in Midtown for tower proposals.   Obviously none of them have broken ground yet but if someone told me a year ago that we would have four proposed towers of 50-stories or more all within 3 blocks of one another,  I would have strongly suggested they seek medical attention.

You would have suggested they seek medical attention and I would have offered to pay for it, lol. Even if just two of the 50 story proposals get built, the skyline will be dramatically altered. It seems like all developers are pressing forward with their proposals. 33 Peachtree Pl and 811 Peachtree are soil testing. From announcement to construction times are getting shorter and shorter. The commercial financial credit markets must be very bullish on the Atlanta market at the moment.

You would have suggested they seek medical attention and I would have offered to pay for it, lol. Even if just two of the 50 story proposals get built, the skyline will be dramatically altered. It seems like all developers are pressing forward with their proposals. 33 Peachtree Pl and 811 Peachtree are soil testing. From announcement to construction times are getting shorter and shorter. The commercial financial credit markets must be very bullish on the Atlanta market at the moment.

Actually 33 Peachtree Pl is about to start clearing the site.  I recall them soil testing a few months ago. 

About the urban grocer at Viewpoint, I don't see it happening unless they are in talks with Savi urban market or something very similar.  The space behind that wall is only about 3,000 sf.  Thats about the size of a convenience store but not enough for a Sprouts even.

Okay...while looking at the 98 14th Street rendering, I almost flatlined!

The tops of the buildings are not spiked but beautiful in their simplicity. The 60 story tower (Tower C) looks to be almost as tall as One Atlantic Center. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't OAC 825' tall? These will make QUITE the impact on the skyline. Much more so than I had originally imagined. To be honest, I would be perfectly fine if that was the final design.

Although short, there is so much that I like at 782 Peachtree. I so hope that the developers can work out the retail spaces fronting Peachtree Street. This development goes a long way towards bringing the energy of the Midtown Mile down towards North Avenue...the physical order with Downtown.

Okay, I just looked it up. One Atlantic Center is 820' tall. Not 825'. So I am guessing Tower C is closer to 800'.  :dontknow:

Reason for edit: to get the true height of One Atlantic Center.

Edited by Lady Celeste