Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

You would have suggested they seek medical attention and I would have offered to pay for it, lol. Even if just two of the 50 story proposals get built, the skyline will be dramatically altered. It seems like all developers are pressing forward with their proposals. 33 Peachtree Pl and 811 Peachtree are soil testing. From announcement to construction times are getting shorter and shorter. The commercial financial credit markets must be very bullish on the Atlanta market at the moment.

FYI, I saw a drilling rig on the AMLI (former trump) site this afternoon also.

And you are correct about the 98 14th street renderings! I love them. In fact, I don't dislike any of these renderings... At all.

Build them!!

• Like 1

A 494-Unit Mixed-Use Proposal for the old Onxy site on 10th Street.

Atlantic Realty Partners representatives have released information for a proposal for the site on 10th Street that was a casualty of the Great Recession and legal action from the neighboring spa. Now it appears that the long standing hole on 10th Street may soon be filled. This proposal will also include 3500 square feet of retail space. There will be 164 condominiums in the 10th Street building, 46 apartments in the 5 story wrap around building and 284 apartments in the 11th Street building. No residential parking will be visible from the street.

All in all it sounds like a great proposal. It is within walking distance to the Midtown MARTA station and "right on" Piedmont Park. 

On Tuesday night, representatives from Atlantic Realty Partners, Inc., gave members of NPU-E a glimpse of its proposed mixed-use project that would contain 494 residential units in three separate buildings. The yet-to-be-named project would stretch along portions of Piedmont, as well as 10th and 11th streets.

The property at 182 10th St. would consist of a 16-story building facing 10th, a 5-story brick structure that would wrap around Piedmont and 11th St., and a 24-story high-rise on 11th St.

A ground breaking could take place later this year with a late 2016 delivery date.  

Read more and view a rendering in the Midtown Patch here: http://midtown.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/494unit-mixeduse-proposed-for-10th-street-hole-in-midtown

• Like 1

A 494-Unit Mixed-Use Proposal for the old Onxy site on 10th Street.

All in all it sounds like a great proposal. It is within walking distance to the Midtown MARTA station and "right on" Piedmont Park. 

A ground breaking could take place later this year with a late 2016 delivery date.  

I agree, seems like a great project. Adds nice density and a couple high rises off of the Peachtree corridor.

I'm kind of surprised there's only 3,500 sf or retail though... The existing businesses in this area seem to do well, and this is a lot of new residents that might want something besides a sandwich or a gay bar close by...

I agree, seems like a great project. Adds nice density and a couple high rises off of the Peachtree corridor.

I'm kind of surprised there's only 3,500 sf or retail though... The existing businesses in this area seem to do well, and this is a lot of new residents that might want something besides a sandwich or a gay bar close by...

Its because of the frontage on Piedmont and 10th is quite small because of the way the project is sort of built around that little strip center on the corner of the intersection.   I will assume that the lobby for the 10th street tower will consume the ground level on that side, leaving only a small space on Piedmont for retail and I am completely ok with no retail being on the small, lightly traveled 11th street.

Here is a rendering of the new 10th to 11th Street development. The shorter building is the 16 story condo building that will be facing 10th Street. The taller building is that 24 story apartment building. The five story brick building will have retail along Piedmont Avenue As mentioned above by Martinman, the complex wraps around a pre-existing shopping center on the northwest corner on 10th and Piedmont. 

c857d707cdb76a5614e81d82e7904d8a-thumb.p

The proposal, as seen from Piedmont Avenue and 11th Street. 

Per a Midtown source, there is drilling on the location of Centergy North. This is the apartment building that will be one block south of the 19 story GA Tech student housing building currently under construction on Spring Street. This would be great news because it would show that many of these proposals are actually becoming reality.

16-9-centergynorth.jpg

Edited by Lady Celeste

Per a Midtown source, there is drilling on the location of Centergy North. This is the apartment building that will be one block south of the 19 story GA Tech student housing building currently under construction on Spring Street. This would be great news because it would show that many of these proposals are actually becoming reality.

After a bit of a lull it looks to be a busy year for cranes in Midtown.

33 Peachtree Place is about to start, University House is under construction, the next 12th & MIdtown tower is pretty much a given and now drilling has been spotted at 811 Peachtre, 782 Peachtree, Amli Arts Center and Centergy North.  Again, this doesn't guarantee construction but it does indicate the intention to proceed with construction in the short term.     

I also heard that Starbucks was supposed to relocate to a space next door this year which would mean construction of the Seventh condo is moving forward.

The 13th street tower on the other hand has gone quiet.  It was supposed to start early this year.

Yes Martinman...it will be a very busy year for cranes in the Midtown skyline. It takes me back to when I was in middle school when most of Atlanta's supertalls were built. Now, I am very happy to see the rise in residential highrise construction ITP. The more rooftops, the more amenities will follow. As far as Yoo on the Park...let us hope that Tivoli hasn't stalled out again. Then again, perhaps they could be putting all of their energy into 1138 Peachtree and will hold off on the 13th Street tower. Yoo could always move to 1138 Peachtree and become Yoo on Peachtree. 

That is great news about the Starbucks. The Seventh Street Condo building will give the area even more complete feel. 

Well, since it's the weekend, let us take a gander at a couple of construction pictures of current, recently completed and future construction ALL in one picture!

In the picture below we have the renovation of the retail component at the base of the 35 story Viewpoint. To the far right we have the recently completed Skyhouse 2.0 (Skyhouse South). At 24 stories, Skyhouse South looks so short next to Viewpoint. The added density is always a plus however. The more people that are concentrated to a city block, the better for retail and services.

viewpoint1.jpgPhoto courtesy of RocketSurgeon on Skyscraperpage.com  

In the photo below, we get a glimpse of the wrap around nature of the retail build-out for the base of Viewpoint. Also in this photo is the recently completed Skyhouse 2.0 AND the lot where the 35 story 811 Peachtree residential building will go. Doing away with this parking lot will be very beneficial to the vision of what Midtown Mile hopes to become.

Old blends in with the new in this photo. This part of Peachtree St. is becoming quite the residential neighborhood. In this shot, only one of these buildings is office and that is 999 Peachtree slightly visible above Novare's first condo tower, Metropolis. This is a really good photograph.

viewpoint2.jpg Photo courtesy of RocketSurgeon on Skyscraperpage.com  

Its because of the frontage on Piedmont and 10th is quite small because of the way the project is sort of built around that little strip center on the corner of the intersection.   I will assume that the lobby for the 10th street tower will consume the ground level on that side, leaving only a small space on Piedmont for retail and I am completely ok with no retail being on the small, lightly traveled 11th street.

True... But they still have quite a bit of frontage on Piedmont (more than just a restaurant on the corner). And with their improvements to 11th and the added density, it might not be so lightly traveled anymore.... Especially in the future, if other developments come in along 11th.

But these are just my thoughts. I still think is is a great direction, and I'm looking forward to the hole on 10th disappearing! Hope it is built!

The Midtown Alliance is meeting this Tuesday...March 11th...and up for discussion are two proposals.

At 5:30 : New Application: 60 11th Street

New construction on the next phase of 12th & Midtown. This project is located on the NE corner of                11th St and Crescent Avenue. The project includes street level retail, structured parking and 319                  apartments above.

At 6:15 : New Applicant: 98 14th Street

New construction on a high density mixed-use project on the north side of 14th Street between One               Atlantic Center and 1180 Peachtree. The proposal includes 1,350 residential units, 270 hotel                         rooms, and 95,000 square feet of retail space organized in three towers above a podium parking                   structure. (see post #749 above)

Perhaps with Tuesday's meeting, we will get more renderings of 98 14th Street. Also, I look forward to seeing what the 11th Street building will look like as well. As has been previously discussed, the developers of 12th & Midtown plan to move forward with construction of this tower as soon as all necessary approvals are achieved. 

I'm curious as to why 1138 Peachtree will not be discussed at this meeting. I was under the impression that there was some necessary tweaking to their design needed. Perhaps we will hear from the developers at April's meeting.

Source: http://www.midtownatl.com/about/programs-and-projects/planning-and-urban-design 

Edited by Lady Celeste

Another intown development is about to break ground. This development is on Piedmont at Cheshire Bridge Road. Some call it Morningside and some may call it the northern region of Midtown before you go into South Buckhead. I'll place this announcement here just for simplicity's sake.

screen-shot-2014-03-13-at-15821-pm-copy*

This development will be anchored by a Sprouts Farmer's Market. This is GREAT for this area! You have a prime location on a busy thoroughfare between Midtown and Buckhead. The 6 acre project will include 300 apartments and 34000 square feet of retail. The developer is set to begin delivery of units around the third quarter of 2015. The transformation of Intown is in full swing. As of late, these announcements are being made and then quickly started. I'm definitely not complaining. 

Story and slide show seen here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2014/03/fuqua-about-to-break-ground-on-morningside-project.html

The Atlanta Botanical Garden plans a multimillion dollar expansion!

Creek%20path-BS*304.jpg?v=1

The land today features mature trees and stone culverts from the 1930s. 

As Midtown becomes more urban and dense, it's projects like these that make my heart sing. A permit was filed in Atlanta on February 24th for the $2.3 million, privately funded expansion. The Atlanta Botanical Garden is currently a 30 acre treasure to the community. The planned expansion will add 10 additional acres. This will be 40 acres of lush beauty next to the recently expanded 189 acre Piedmont Park. These are true gems in the quickly urbanizing community of Midtown.    

Expansion Plans: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2014/03/07/atlanta-botanical-garden-plans.html

The Four Seasons Atlanta has won another accommodation!

Three Atlanta hotels have been named one of Travel And Leisure's 500 World's Best Hotels for 2014. The Four Seasons in Midtown is on the list. The Four Seasons has consistently landed on venerable and trustworthy list year after year. This year is no exception. Kudos to the General Manager for such a well run establishment. It is a true treasure to the City of Atlanta. Also on the T+L 500 World's Best Hotel List are the St. Regis and Ritz Carlton in Buckhead.

There were a total of six hotels in Georgia on the list. The other were one in Savannah and two on Sea Island.  

I am linking the source which only shows the hotels in the US Region.

The List here: http://www.travelandleisure.com/tl500/2014/region/us   

Edited by Lady Celeste

After a bit of a lull it looks to be a busy year for cranes in Midtown.

33 Peachtree Place is about to start, University House is under construction, the next 12th & MIdtown tower is pretty much a given and now drilling has been spotted at 811 Peachtre, 782 Peachtree, Amli Arts Center and Centergy North.  Again, this doesn't guarantee construction but it does indicate the intention to proceed with construction in the short term.     

I also heard that Starbucks was supposed to relocate to a space next door this year which would mean construction of the Seventh condo is moving forward.

I put in bold the part of your quote that would be pertinent to this post because NOW we have a rendering of Amli Arts Center tower!

amli-arts-center_small.jpg

This view is looking north from the soon to be extended 15th Street in Midtown. 

Amli Arts Center

1240 West Peachtree St NW Atlanta

351 residential units and 3400 square feet of retail space.

And now for what we all love to see...construction pictures!

The 19 story "GA Tech Spring Street Housing" Apartment building on Spring Street. 

IMG_20140319_191828_149_zps0e97be3e.jpgPhoto taken by and courtesy of AtlantaMustang 

IMG_20140319_191740_504_zpsecb66194.jpg

Photo taken by and courtesy of AtlantaMustang 

IMG_20140319_191653_477_zpsf6eb80b7.jpg
Photo taken by and courtesy of AtlantaMustang 

Cranes are now dotting the Midtown skyline!

Northside Hospital has officially purchased the site that could be home to the hospital system's first push into the fast growing intown market. 

northside-2-jv*304xx2684-1789-76-0.jpg

Photo courtesy of Joann Vitelli 

Pictured above is the location of the proposed 17 story Medical Arts building. Also in this picture is the not long completed Skyhouse (1 of 3) Apartments. It is reported in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that Northside purchased the 1.5 acre site at West Peachtree St and 12th St for $4.5 million. Last September, Northside presented the 17 story proposal to the Midtown Alliance's DRC. An infusion of medical workers should help fill the retail spaces at the neighboring Skyhouse Midtown building. 

Interesting enough, this proposal is three blocks south on W. Peachtree from the Amli Arts Center apartment proposal. (See post #769) Infill is happening slowly but surely.  

On my way to work this morning, I saw a geotech rig drilling in the surface lot on 10th Street next to the Checkers. You guys have any idea what this could be for? I  haven't heard anything about this lot.

I got a picture, but I'm not sure how to upload it on here.

On my way to work this morning, I saw a geotech rig drilling in the surface lot on 10th Street next to the Checkers. You guys have any idea what this could be for? I  haven't heard anything about this lot.

I got a picture, but I'm not sure how to upload it on here.

The only thing I know about that lot is that Jamestown Properties (of Ponce City Market fame) has been marketing that site for potential "large-scale mixed-use development". The picture below is form the Jamestown website. 

Its possible that a developer has intentions to build a project on the site and is doing their due diligence before closing on the poperty.  At this point nothing has been announced.

Midtown%20130520D0022.jpg?itok=dJ1V7AXF?

The only thing I know about that lot is that Jamestown Properties (of Ponce City Market fame) has been marketing that site for potential "large-scale mixed-use development". The picture below is form the Jamestown website. 

Its possible that a developer has intentions to build a project on the site and is doing their due diligence before closing on the poperty.  At this point nothing has been announced.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Definitely would have the possibility of being an interesting project, just based on location and what has to be one of the highest points in midtown.

Duluth, Ga.-based financial technology giant NCR Corp. is eying Midtown as a site for its new headquarters. 

The move would not only bring hundreds of  jobs from Gwinnett County, it is also expected to create 1,200 new jobs, according to a source. NCR also looked at sites in Gwinnett, Alpharetta and Central Perimeter.

NCR is said to be seeking 225,000 square feet-to-275,000 square feet of office space, and could consider developing a campus could be similar to The Coca-Cola Co.'s headquarters in Midtown. NCR could build a 10-story office tower, in addition to R&D buildings, according to real estate sources.

NCR wants a location with good visibility from the heavily trafficed Interstate 75-85 connector. The company is said to have looked at land on either side of the interstate, including near Technology Square and Northyards Business Park, sources said.

NCR eyes Midtown Atlanta for up to 275K sf HQ

Edited by Martinman