Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

This is great news! I truly hope that NCR can find a proper place to locate in the Midtown community. Perhaps Technology Square would be befitting or even some of the parcels in Atlantic Station facing the Downtown Connector. It is also good to see some of the major corporate players in Atlanta realize that access to public transit is a premium. If MARTA can't expand at the moment to where you are...move to a place where MARTA already exist. This should be a wake up call to Gwinnett County since this is not the only F500 located in the county looking to greener pastures (read as access to public transit). 

Now for our construction picture of the day....

IMG_20140329_184604_205_zps37753496.jpg

Photo courtesy of AtlantaMustang

Above is another photo of the construction site for the 25 story "luxury" student apartment. See Martinman's post above mine for render. What's great about this photo is that you also see the crane for the 19 story University House Midtown. Soon we will have three cranes in this photo. 33 Peachtree Pl, the 24 story apartment building is located just east of Plaza Midtown.

I am really enjoying all the construction activity going on of late. I love when we have less talk and more action. Perhaps NCR could put their headquarters building on the lot between the two student buildings (see pano above). There is great visibility from the Downtown Connector there.  

• Like 1

Calling all Tesla owners!!!

Atlantic Station to become the Southeast's largest electric vehicle charging site. 

Located just across the Downtown Connector from Midtown, Atlantic Station lands a charging station. This is welcomed news considering that Tesla has been said that Atlantic Station could be one of the sites of a permanent Tesla dealership. The temporary dealership is off of Cobb Parkway. The project will also plug Atlanta Tesla Motors' planned coast-to-coast network of high speed charging stations. But this is about the charging station and not solely about Tesla. This will be welcomed news for Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt owners as well. The Atlantic Station EV project is a joint venture between CBRE, Nissan America, Tesla Motors and Metro Plug-In. I would imagine that Atlantic Station's high concentration of tech firms and accessibility aided in landing this charging station.  

Metro Atlanta was ranked No. 1 on ChargePoint’s list of the Top 10 Regions with the largest growth of electric vehicle sales. Atlanta led the nation with a 52 percent increase in EV sales (3,000) between the third and fourth quarters of last year. The EV infrastructure, to be installed in Atlantic Station’s cavernous underground parking garage, is expected to be completed in time for  Earth Day next month, a source said. 

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2014/03/atlantic-station-to-become-southeasts-largest.html

For those who are in or near the Midtown area, tonight the developers of 98 14th Street will be having a follow up meeting with the Midtown Alliance's Development Review Committee. The meeting is at 5:30 tonight and will be in the 999 Peachtree Building in the Fifth Floor Conference Room. I am curious as to what the follow up meeting is about? 

ALSO.... 

Tivoli has applied for a permit for its 1138 Peachtree proposal. As we know by now, this is slated to be a 51 story apartment building with 3 stories of ground level retail. What may be new to many of us with this filing is that the building will be called "Yoo on Peachtree". The Yoo name brand may be familiar because Tivoli has proposed a "Yoo on the Park" over on 13th Street near Piedmont Park. I wonder what implications this could have for the 13th St proposal. I can't see Yoo doing two apartment buildings in such close proximity. Balfour Beatty is listed on the permit as the builder. Stay tuned.....   

The developers of Seventh...located on Peachtree Street at 7th St...have filed for demolition and building permits. 

xf7r.jpg

This will be an all condo building. I feel that with inventory very low in the area, this building should do well. There will not be many units in the building which means square footage will be quite nice. I am happy to see most of the proposals for the Midtown market have actually come to fruition. 

Tivoli has applied for a permit for its 1138 Peachtree proposal. As we know by now, this is slated to be a 51 story apartment building with 3 stories of ground level retail. What may be new to many of us with this filing is that the building will be called "Yoo on Peachtree". The Yoo name brand may be familiar because Tivoli has proposed a "Yoo on the Park" over on 13th Street near Piedmont Park. I wonder what implications this could have for the 13th St proposal. I can't see Yoo doing two apartment buildings in such close proximity. Balfour Beatty is listed on the permit as the builder. Stay tuned.....   

This is curious.  I don't believe they have even taken the building permit step with their proposed 13th street project that was supposed to have broken ground already.  Will this project actually get out of the gorund this time?   Do they plan to building both 1138 Yoo and 13th street Yoo simultaneously?   Yoo really don't know what to make of this news.

Edited by Martinman

This is curious.  I don't believe they have even taken the building permit step with their proposed 13th street project that was supposed to have broken ground already.  Will this project actually get out of the gorund this time?   Do they plan to building both 1138 Yoo and 13th street Yoo simultaneously?   Yoo really don't know what to make of this news.

I see what yoo did there.

It is unyoosual, since I thought they were getting funding asistance from invest Atlanta for the 13th street project.

Looking at the permit application for the Peachtree project, it's for a land disturbance permit with an estimated cost of $1,590,000... That's a ton of land disturance cost on such a small lot. Must be including some foundation work also, as I don't think the excavation on that site would cost that much, even with the first floor retail being like a daylight basment.

Yoo guys are hilarious....

Seriously, I cannot see Yoo building two apartment towers ( one 51 stories and on 25 stories) at the same time. I don't know but my thinking is that the 13th Street building was proposed first and Tivoli approached Yoo to lend some credibility to the project. Invest Atlanta was brought into the mix and development funds were secured. Then up pops this 51 story proposal right ON Peachtree St. Some executive from Yoo called Tivoli and inquired about moving their interest over to 1138 Peachtree. This will be Yoo's first venture into the Atlanta market. From a branding stand point, there is more bang for the buck by attaching your name to a building that could potentially rise 625+ feet into the sky...and on Atlanta's venerable "boulevard". 

Unfortunately, I think 1138 Peachtree will suck all of the energy away from the 13th Street development. I can't see Invest Atlanta giving money for both. Then again, maybe the retail interest in Yoo on Peachtree will negate the need for Invest Atlanta involvement. If I had to choose between the two, I would rather have Yoo on Peachtree than Yoo on the Park. Maybe this will bode positive for the old Onyx site development. Then again, intown Atlanta is flying under the national radar. Many of the apartment buildings completed recently have been a financial success so perhaps there is room for both the old Onyx site towers and Yoo on the Park. 

All I know is that the New York developers of 98 14th Street are quite serious about getting out the ground soon. We could potentially have two 50+ story residential towers under construction in the first quarter of 2015. That in addition to the 35 story 811 Peachtree and the 22 story 66 11th Street. It's a race to the finish. Not everyone is going to win. Perhaps Yoo sees a better racehorse in 1138 Peachtree than 13th Street.    

I see what yoo did there.

It is unyoosual, since I thought they were getting funding asistance from invest Atlanta for the 13th street project.

Looking at the permit application for the Peachtree project, it's for a land disturbance permit with an estimated cost of $1,590,000... That's a ton of land disturance cost on such a small lot. Must be including some foundation work also, as I don't think the excavation on that site would cost that much, even with the first floor retail being like a daylight basment.

Thank you for the specifics from the permit. I agree with you Kh9142...that is a considerable amount for that lot. It's just a sliver of land with asphalt atop it. It has to be more than pushing dirt around. I really don't understand Tivoli. Why are they so mysterious with a rendering of Yoo on Peachtree. Clearly if they are going through all of these procedures, this has to be a pretty solid proposal. Show us a rendering already. 

Speaking of 811 Peachtree, it appears to be progressing also.

lItVi69l.jpg

OMG....how ironic that I mentioned it earlier.

There are going to be soooo many cranes over Midtown. As I said earlier, Atlanta is totally flying under the radar. These proposals are being made and coming to fruition within one year's time. The time from announcement to tree removal/construction has been remarkable of late. While only 35 stories tall, 811 Peachtree will add some architectural interest to the Midtown skyline. That is for sure. If you like the design or not, it is definitely different and counter to the typical glass box. 

Just as a reminder for those who visit the Midtown forum from other places: THIS is 811 Peachtree!

southday_zps0f9890fe.jpg

• Like 1

Yoo guys are hilarious....

Seriously, I cannot see Yoo building two apartment towers ( one 51 stories and on 25 stories) at the same time. I don't know but my thinking is that the 13th Street building was proposed first and Tivoli approached Yoo to lend some credibility to the project. Invest Atlanta was brought into the mix and development funds were secured. Then up pops this 51 story proposal right ON Peachtree St. Some executive from Yoo called Tivoli and inquired about moving their interest over to 1138 Peachtree. This will be Yoo's first venture into the Atlanta market. From a branding stand point, there is more bang for the buck by attaching your name to a building that could potentially rise 625+ feet into the sky...and on Atlanta's venerable "boulevard". 

Unfortunately, I think 1138 Peachtree will suck all of the energy away from the 13th Street development. I can't see Invest Atlanta giving money for both. Then again, maybe the retail interest in Yoo on Peachtree will negate the need for Invest Atlanta involvement. If I had to choose between the two, I would rather have Yoo on Peachtree than Yoo on the Park. Maybe this will bode positive for the old Onyx site development. Then again, intown Atlanta is flying under the national radar. Many of the apartment buildings completed recently have been a financial success so perhaps there is room for both the old Onyx site towers and Yoo on the Park. 

All I know is that the New York developers of 98 14th Street are quite serious about getting out the ground soon. We could potentially have two 50+ story residential towers under construction in the first quarter of 2015. That in addition to the 35 story 811 Peachtree and the 22 story 66 11th Street. It's a race to the finish. Not everyone is going to win. Perhaps Yoo sees a better racehorse in 1138 Peachtree than 13th Street.    

Don't forget 1125 Peachtree also! Could we have three 50 story plus buildings at the same time, all within a couple blocks?

I wonder if Tivoli could handle 2 towers at once? I don't see them letting go of the invest atlanta funding for the 13th street tower too quickly... Maybe since it's already funded, they can put their funds/fundraising into 1125? Pure speculation at this point... haha

OMG....how ironic that I mentioned it earlier.

There are going to be soooo many cranes over Midtown. As I said earlier, Atlanta is totally flying under the radar. These proposals are being made and coming to fruition within one year's time. The time from announcement to tree removal/construction has been remarkable of late. While only 35 stories tall, 811 Peachtree will add some architectural interest to the Midtown skyline. That is for sure. If you like the design or not, it is definitely different and counter to the typical glass box. 

Just as a reminder for those who visit the Midtown forum from other places: THIS is 811 Peachtree!

southday_zps0f9890fe.jpg

I personally love how this one is so much different from the typical concrete and glass towers that have become so popular. 

Permit Specifics:

811 PEACHTREE STREET NE/ LAND DEVELOPMENT

LAND DEVELOPMENT - MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT WITH RESIDENTIAL TOWER WITH 391 DEPARTMENTS, PARKING DECK WITH 569 SPACES, AND GOUND FLOOR RETAIL. PROJECT INCLUDES REQUIRED STREETSCAPE IMPROVEMENTS, VEHICULAR AND LOADING ACCESS, UTILITY SERVICE AND STORMWATER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Cost of Construction($) $1,300,000.00

Don't forget 1125 Peachtree also! Could we have three 50 story plus buildings at the same time, all within a couple blocks?

I wonder if Tivoli could handle 2 towers at once? I don't see them letting go of the invest atlanta funding for the 13th street tower too quickly... Maybe since it's already funded, they can put their funds/fundraising into 1125? Pure speculation at this point... haha

Technically I didn't forget 1125 Peachtree but rather I am curious if Daniel and Selig...although very well funded...would commence construction of a 50 story and 22 story tower at the same time. With them however it is more likely than Tivoli. So ultimately you could be right, we could potentially have three 50 story apartment towers under construction at the same time. That level of construction would take me back to when I was in middle school when Downtown and Midtown were adding the tall towers we see there today.  

I personally love how this one is so much different from the typical concrete and glass towers that have become so popular. 

Permit Specifics:

811 PEACHTREE STREET NE/ LAND DEVELOPMENT

LAND DEVELOPMENT - MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT WITH RESIDENTIAL TOWER WITH 391 DEPARTMENTS, PARKING DECK WITH 569 SPACES, AND GOUND FLOOR RETAIL. PROJECT INCLUDES REQUIRED STREETSCAPE IMPROVEMENTS, VEHICULAR AND LOADING ACCESS, UTILITY SERVICE AND STORMWATER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Cost of Construction($) $1,300,000.00

Looking at the specifics of this permit and comparing it to the one issued for 1138 Peachtree, it almost appears that 1138 is a go. Until I see a rendering however, I will stay cautiously optimistic. 

Technically I didn't forget 1125 Peachtree but rather I am curious if Daniel and Selig...although very well funded...would commence construction of a 50 story and 22 story tower at the same time. With them however it is more likely than Tivoli. So ultimately you could be right, we could potentially have three 50 story apartment towers under construction at the same time. That level of construction would take me back to when I was in middle school when Downtown and Midtown were adding the tall towers we see there today.  

Looking at the specifics of this permit and comparing it to the one issued for 1138 Peachtree, it almost appears that 1138 is a go. Until I see a rendering however, I will stay cautiously optimistic. 

I agree, it would be ambitous for them... How much of the first phase(s) were built concurrently? One thing that could be in favor of 2 at once is that I remember reading somewhere recently that Selig had applied for a demo permit on a piece of land they own off thirteenth and peachtree walk. Could be that they were preparing that area for their staging/storage location, instead of the 1125 lot they had been using? Guess we'll see!

On another note, I just checked on the permit status of 33 Peachtree Place also... working hard this friday afternoon ;) Looks like they have approval from every department on their LDP except from the parks department-- it was noted "Pending-Waiting on Parks arborist approval" on 3/31/2014. The parks arborist has to approve any trees in the right-of-way that are to be removed, and in my COA permitting experience, they are horribly slow to respond. So maybe this is why this project has gotten somewhat quiet lately.

• Like 1

I was thinking about how Midtown and the surrounding areas are really exploding with actual construction. Some may be curious as to how Midtown could support such rapid growth when the recently released Census numbers show metro Atlanta adding only a paltry 68,513 (1.3%) people between July 2012 - July 2013. We also have all seen the recently released report of how Metro Atlanta is the most sprawling major metro in the US. From what I can see from hundreds of miles away is that there is a large amount of people in the metro area moving ITP or to close in OTP suburbs. If just .05% of the metro population made such a move, that would be 28000 people.

If you add up the number of apartment units under construction or planned in the Perimeter Center, Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, Westside, Decatur/Emory and Old Fourth Ward/Eastside communities, there would still be pressure on the rental market to add units. Some rental buildings are even switching back to condo buildings. The 48 story Atlantic in Atlantic Station comes to mind as one such conversion.

Midtown has become a hotbed for the tech market. Even NCR, the F500 tech behemoth is scouting Midtown for office space. The Biltmore, Atlantic Station and Ponce City Market are abuzz with new and growing tech companies now. The growth that many intown markets are experiencing is at a healthy yet manageable clip. This is why I feel that you see so many proposals racing to get out of the ground. Sam Massell, the unofficial mayor of Buckhead, said that the Buckhead market has like 7300 units proposed, under construction or recently delivered. Midtown, from the Westside to the Old Fourth Ward may have that many as well. So you can see, when considering the potential number of people who could be moving intown seeking a more walkable or urban lifestyle, there will be considerable absorption of the newly delivered rental units. 

I feel that with the slower yet manageable growth that metro Atlanta has been experiencing, coupled with many people's decision to move closer to major employment clusters, this amount of apartment growth is sustainable. As I have said in an earlier post on page 39, if you can't make MARTA come to you, move to where MARTA already exist. State Farm is consolidating its regional workforce around the Dunwoody MARTA station. NCR is looking in Midtown. Coca~Cola moved or is moving 1200 IT employees from Cobb County's Wildwood complex to Downtown's Suntrust Plaza.

There is a saturation point but I don't think it has been quenched just yet. I would caution the Perimeter Center market to not add too much more than they are adding now. It will be very difficult for Perimeter Center to compete with MIdtown in terms of walkability. I think Downtown is an untapped market. It has to work its "perception over the reality" issues. In time however, I do feel that apartment development will make its way to that market as well.

All in all, it is great to see so much positive development going on intown. It will take time to reverse the past sprawling nature of metro Atlanta but with the Beltine and the densification of many ITP communities, most intown markets are taking the right and necessary steps toward livability and sustainability.   

I agree, it would be ambitous for them... How much of the first phase(s) were built concurrently? One thing that could be in favor of 2 at once is that I remember reading somewhere recently that Selig had applied for a demo permit on a piece of land they own off thirteenth and peachtree walk. Could be that they were preparing that area for their staging/storage location, instead of the 1125 lot they had been using? Guess we'll see!

On another note, I just checked on the permit status of 33 Peachtree Place also... working hard this friday afternoon ;) Looks like they have approval from every department on their LDP except from the parks department-- it was noted "Pending-Waiting on Parks arborist approval" on 3/31/2014. The parks arborist has to approve any trees in the right-of-way that are to be removed, and in my COA permitting experience, they are horribly slow to respond. So maybe this is why this project has gotten somewhat quiet lately.

I truly appreciate the insight you bring.

I'm all for them building both at the same time. The 12th & Midtown development has been a financial success for Selig so it is quite possible for them to take on two at one time. I'm definitely NOT going to complain to possibly having three 50 story towers under construction at one time.  :thumbsup:

Also, thank you for the update on 33 Peachtree Pl. I hope the Parks Dept approval comes soon. 

• Like 1

I agree with this.  Lincoln Property Co. is also marketing the retail space at 1138 indicating that they intend to have some retail space that needs some tenants.  I recall there was talk of Tivoli having a partner for the 13th street project.  If that was the case for the 25-story tower then I'm sure it must also be the case for 1138 Peachtree.  It would certainly help explain this sudden unexpected movement on this project. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Martinman

I think Downtown is an untapped market. It has to work its "perception over the reality" issues. In time however, I do feel that apartment development will make its way to that market as well.

I agree completely. I heard a tip from a fairly reliable source that a grocery store concept is being considered for the ground floor of the Healey Building. Having a grocery store Downtown would go a long way toward changing the way people view Downtown living.

Update on 98 14th Street...

As time soldiers on, more information is trickling out about the massive three tower 98 14th Street development. Here's what we know so far:

1) The first tower is expected to break ground in 2015. Now I have seen people freaking out about this start date. For some reason 2015 sounds so far off. There are a great deal of challenges something of this magnitude will face. Because the developer has yet to close on the land, they can't give a definitive date. It could be Q1 of 2015 or Q4 of 2015 but at least we know they plan to get started soon. I've seen developments in some cities announced and linger for two plus years before construction starts...and for buildings much shorter. To me 2015 sounds reasonable...if not optimistic. 

2) The Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC) conditionally approved the $650 million development. The condition is based on Olympia Heights Management addressing access and road connectivity. I agree with this condition because 14 Street is already inundated with traffic. 1350 apartments and 92,000 square feet of retail will only exacerbate the traffic. The development has to find an access point to 15 Street and fast. This should alleviate some of the access concerns.

3) Once step two is addressed, the developers will need to seek approval from the City of Atlanta. This should be a piece of cake. I can not fathom a reason why the city would say no to this development.

4) Once steps 2 and 3 are completed, then the developers can nail down financing. Based on the developers deep pockets and access to capital, this shouldn't be a problem.

Now, that is where we are so far. Based on the DRC's recap, we have learned that "the first phase will include construction of a mixed used residential tower with approximately 14,690 square feet of retail space and 500 apartment units". Based on the plans for the development I have seen, I would guess that this is Tower B. The 57 story tower closest to One Atlantic Center with 14th Street frontage. I am guessing this one because it is the one with the largest parking capacity. It is best to get the parking out of the way first and build around that capacity.

At 57 stories, that could be at least 627' tall and that's not adding in the swirly top part. If you look at the plans, the occupied floors do not go all the way to the top. While not the tallest of the three buildings, that will still make a skyline altering statement.

As more details come out, I am sure someone will post them here. This one will not do a quick six month turn around from proposal to construction as we have seen of late. It takes time but some of the above issues must be addressed before such a massive development can move forward. At least we know that the developers are bullish on the Atlanta market and are taking the necessary steps to get ALL three of these towers out of the ground. 

I've wondered this for some time and never seen it brought up, so hopefully someone can enlighten us. What's going on with the base of the office building on the Northeast corner of Peachtree and 3rd across from Solace? There have been screened fences up for, say, six or more months now? From the glimpses I'm able to get, all they've apparently done is install new windows. The entire building seems unoccupied as well. What's the deal here?

I've wondered this for some time and never seen it brought up, so hopefully someone can enlighten us. What's going on with the base of the office building on the Northeast corner of Peachtree and 3rd across from Solace? There have been screened fences up for, say, six or more months now? From the glimpses I'm able to get, all they've apparently done is install new windows. The entire building seems unoccupied as well. What's the deal here?

They are renovating the street level (and probably the entire building- not sure).  I believe I read somewhere that the street level will include one new retail space but I can't find anything on it so don't hold me to it. 

The Growing Midtown Skyline!

Thank you AtlantaMustang for making a mock up of what the Midtown skyline will look like after all of the proposals or currently under construction developments are completed.  

MidtownMockUp_Culc_zpsa76bc68c.jpg

Photo courtesy of AtlantaMustang of skyscraperpage.com 

From left to right:

Amli Arts Center (30 stories- proposed). Northside Hospital Medical Arts Building (17 stories - proposed) . 3 towers at 98 14th street (Tower A - 39 stories, Tower B - 57 stories, Tower C - 60 stories - proposed) . 1138 Peachtree (51 stories - construction permit issued). 1125 Peachtree (50 stories - proposed). University House Midtown (19 stories - u/c). 33 Peachtree Place (19 stories - construction permit pending) . Centergy North (25 stories - u/c). 811 Peachtree (35 stories - construction permit issued).

It's good to see that of all the proposals, all but one are residential and most have retail. There are three proposals that would not be visible in the mock up due to their height and/or being behind taller buildings from this view.

1) 60 11th Street (20 stories - proposed)

2) 867 Peachtree ( 9 stories - proposed)

3) 782 Peachtree (10 stories - proposed)

If all goes as planned, Midtown could be adding thousands of new residents, tens of thousands of square feet of retail and four towers that are 500' and taller. Midtown is on the rise!  

Edited by Lady Celeste

Someone on another site was perusing the Midtown Alliance website and came across an interesting find. Under the proposed section (see page 5 of the link below), there is a marker for a 400 market-rate apartment building on the same block as the currently under construction University Towers building. I'm in the dark on this one. Has anyone heard anything about it?

See link here: http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/docs/town-commercial-real-estate-maps---interactive.pdf