Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I truly appreciate the insight you bring.

I'm all for them building both at the same time. The 12th & Midtown development has been a financial success for Selig so it is quite possible for them to take on two at one time. I'm definitely NOT going to complain to possibly having three 50 story towers under construction at one time.  :thumbsup:

Also, thank you for the update on 33 Peachtree Pl. I hope the Parks Dept approval comes soon. 

Just checked the permit status for some of these projects again...

33 Peachtree Place is approved! Permit is ready for pickup... after they pay $216k+ in impact fees.

Seventh is pending paperwork for the site development department it seems. All other departments have approved the plans.  

1138 Peachtree seems to be having some zoning/planning issues in regards to discrepancies between the approved SAP plans for the site and the plans submitted.

811 Peachtree has no approvals yet, but is progressing through the process. They are listing a contractor now-- I can't remember if they were before. Hardin Construction is a pretty well known contractor and lends some credibility to this proposal in my opinion.

Did I miss one that has been submitted to the city?

Edited by Kh9142
  • Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2014/04/18/novare-eyes-key-midtown-corner-for-new-tower.html

Novare Group intends to buy a nearly 1.5-acre site at West Peachtree and 14th streets, near One Atlantic Center and Atlantic Center Plaza, according to several sources familiar with the plan. The property today houses low-rise buildings with tenants such as Einstein Bros. Bagels and Zipcar.

Novare could acquire the land and raze the building by the end of the year.

It plans to build a residential tower in its place.

Another skyhouse?

You were quick this morning Kh9142, lol!

Honestly, I don't think this will be another Skyhouse for some reason. That corner is very prominent and right on 14th Street @ West Peachtree. I think something more grand than a regular Skyhouse would be befitting such a location. I'm a bit perplexed with this purchase because they have not said a word about the Twelve Hotels brand since the recession. I would be highly surprised if they put another Skyhouse there. Remember the grand Twelve proposal that Novare made at the intersection pre-recession? Maybe they have been emboldened enough to try that again. 

There are already have three Skyhouses in the Atlanta market. If I had to guess about where the next Skyhouse will go, I would think Allen Plaza in Downtown or near the proposed State Farm complex in Perimeter Center (most likely).

Nonetheless, this is good news for development lovers. I don't know what type of shot this could be to the 98 14th Street proposal. I wonder what Novare Group have up their sleeve. Hopefully it is not some stubby 25 story apartment building. Time will tell...that's for sure.  

I guess I should have read the article first. 

From the article:

Novare could acquire the land and raze the building by the end of the year.

It plans to build a residential tower in its place.

So it is not a resurrection of the Twelve Hotels brand. So this building will be fully residential. Oy! Please, not another 24-26 story Skyhouse with a massive parking garage. That intersection deserves so much more. Go BIG or go home! 

You were quick this morning Kh9142, lol!

Honestly, I don't think this will be another Skyhouse for some reason. That corner is very prominent and right on 14th Street @ West Peachtree. I think something more grand than a regular Skyhouse would be befitting such a location. I'm a bit perplexed with this purchase because they have not said a word about the Twelve Hotels brand since the recession. I would be highly surprised if they put another Skyhouse there. Remember the grand Twelve proposal that Novare made at the intersection pre-recession? Maybe they have been emboldened enough to try that again. 

There are already have three Skyhouses in the Atlanta market. If I had to guess about where the next Skyhouse will go, I would think Allen Plaza in Downtown or near the proposed State Farm complex in Perimeter Center (most likely).

Nonetheless, this is good news for development lovers. I don't know what type of shot this could be to the 98 14th Street proposal. I wonder what Novare Group have up their sleeve. Hopefully it is not some stubby 25 story apartment building. Time will tell...that's for sure.  

Slow Friday at work :)

I agree that's a prominent corner, and deserves something better than their cookie cutter tower. They at least need to change up the skin... if not the shape.

The amount of proposed residential within a few blocks of this location is amazing. With 98 14th, 1125 Peachtree, 1138 Peachtree, the Amli tower, even the 60 11th street building, that is a huge amount of new housing in a 2-3 block radius of the four seasons... on top of all the residential towers that are already there. Imagine if all this actually got built! Would there be a more dense 5-6 block square in Atlanta?

Just checked the permit status for some of these projects again...

33 Peachtree Place is approved! Permit is ready for pickup... after they pay $216k+ in impact fees.

Seventh is pending paperwork for the site development department it seems. All other departments have approved the plans.  

1138 Peachtree seems to be having some zoning/planning issues in regards to discrepancies between the approved SAP plans for the site and the plans submitted.

835 Peachtree has no approvals yet, but is progressing through the process. They are listing a contractor now-- I can't remember if they were before. Hardin Construction is a pretty well known contractor and lends some credibility to this proposal in my opinion.

Did I miss one that has been submitted to the city?

Good stuff!  Thanks for doing the digging.  I would expect to see 33 PP break ground in the next few weeks.

By the way, I'm assuming you  mean 811 Peachtree and no they had not listed a contractor before.  It would be great to see this unique tower get built and especially since it will fill in a key block on Peachtree between existing street front retail. 

Good stuff!  Thanks for doing the digging.  I would expect to see 33 PP break ground in the next few weeks.

By the way, I'm assuming you  mean 811 Peachtree and no they had not listed a contractor before.  It would be great to see this unique tower get built and especially since it will fill in a key block on Peachtree between existing street front retail. 

You're welcome! I would expect that too... I look almost directly on this site from my unit in Spire, so I'm excited for this one to get started.

Yes, I meant 811 (fixed). Who knows where I pulled the 35 from! And yes, this tower will be great, both for it's uniqueness and it's location-- farther south than where much of the new development seems to be concentrated.

The amount of proposed residential within a few blocks of this location is amazing. With 98 14th, 1125 Peachtree, 1138 Peachtree, the Amli tower, even the 60 11th street building, that is a huge amount of new housing in a 2-3 block radius of the four seasons... on top of all the residential towers that are already there. Imagine if all this actually got built! Would there be a more dense 5-6 block square in Atlanta?

You are right Kh9142. The amount of announced units within this 2-3 block radius of the Four Season is amazing. Just using the proposals in your post above, I added up what I could find. Between the five proposals listed (I am not counting Novare as it is much too early), I count 2914 apartment/condo units and roughly 160,400 square feet of retail space. That is considerable when you consider that all of this is within a 500 feet radius of the Four Seasons Hotel.

Weekly permitting update:

33 peachtree Place: Permit still hasn't been picked up. I'm sure the contractor just isn't ready to take ownership of it just yet... not till he's ready to move forward.

Seventh: Still awaiting paperwork regarding maintenance agreements and such for approval of LDP. The demo permit for the existing building is approved and ready for pickup.

1138 Peachtree: The zoning/planning issues have been resovled and received approval. The designers have gotten comments back from most of the other departements, so it's stil progressing nicely.

811 Peachtree: Still progressing through the process. Similar zoning/planning issues as 1138, typical of most all projects I've permitted through Atlanta.

• Like 3

Here's a street level rendering of the 98 14th Street proposal Tower B & C. 

1267-cropp-909x651.jpg

I really like the street level treatment. It's nice to know that the base of a 57 and 60 story building won't leave 14th Street lifeless. Especially considering that these buildings will be right across the street from the Four Seasons. This one proposal could totally alter 14th Street. At last word, the developers are still working on the 15th Street access. Fingers are crossed!

• Like 1

Here's a street level rendering of the 98 14th Street proposal Tower B & C. 

I really like the street level treatment. It's nice to know that the base of a 57 and 60 story building won't leave 14th Street lifeless. Especially considering that these buildings will be right across the street from the Four Seasons. This one proposal could totally alter 14th Street. At last word, the developers are still working on the 15th Street access. Fingers are crossed!

Looks similar to me to the base of 1080 next door, where Article 14 and Highland Bakery are located now. Maybe the 'midtown mile' will have to take a turn down 14th! haha

Looks similar to me to the base of 1080 next door, where Article 14 and Highland Bakery are located now. Maybe the 'midtown mile' will have to take a turn down 14th! haha

Hahaha...so true. Or maybe the idea of "Midtown Mile" will have to morph into "The Streets of Midtown". While we are on 14th Street...

Now that Novare Group has the southeast corner of 14th and W. Peachtree under contract, I wonder if the parking lot between the Four Seasons and that Marriot will ever get redeveloped. That would be very beneficial for the urban fabric in that area. 

Weekly permitting update:

33 peachtree Place: Permit still hasn't been picked up. I'm sure the contractor just isn't ready to take ownership of it just yet... not till he's ready to move forward.

Seventh: Still awaiting paperwork regarding maintenance agreements and such for approval of LDP. The demo permit for the existing building is approved and ready for pickup.

1138 Peachtree: The zoning/planning issues have been resovled and received approval. The designers have gotten comments back from most of the other departements, so it's stil progressing nicely.

811 Peachtree: Still progressing through the process. Similar zoning/planning issues as 1138, typical of most all projects I've permitted through Atlanta.

Once again, thanks for the info.  

According to the rumor mill, 33 Peachtree Place is planning a mid-May groundbreaking. 

Also...

Yoo on the Park is said to finallly have the financing in place to move to construction.

Novare's 14th project is said to be a new form of Skyhouse that might even include a parking podium.

Edited by Martinman

Once again, thanks for the info.  

According to the rumor mill, 33 Peachtree Place is planning a mid-May groundbreaking. 

Also...

Yoo on the Park is said to finallly have the financing in place to move to construction.

Novare's 14th project is said to be a new form of Skyhouse that might even include a parking podium.

Awesome, on all counts. Do we know a street address for the Yoo on the Park? Wonder what if any impact this will have on Yoo on Peachtree?

Hopefully the novare project will include a parking podium. I think a podium would work out better with the layout and topography of that site as well.

Awesome, on all counts. Do we know a street address for the Yoo on the Park? Wonder what if any impact this will have on Yoo on Peachtree?

Hopefully the novare project will include a parking podium. I think a podium would work out better with the layout and topography of that site as well.

207 13th Street is the address of the project. 

If this proposal does include a podium...of which I have no aversion to...I hope that it is skinned to look exactly like the rest of building. I would also hope that they do a better job of blending it in than they did with the Viewpoint parking deck. I wouldn't mind having glass sheathing going all the way to the ground. None of that glass rectangle on top of a concrete block. I would also hope that base has an active use facility. Something like a health club would be great. With all of the retail planned for the 98 14th Street proposal, I would be okay if it didn't have eateries or clothing stores. Be alas, this is Novare Group we are talking about. 

33 Peachtree Place still hasn't picked up their land disturbance permit, but has now offically filed for their full building permit.  Permit specifics: 33 PEACHTREE PLACE AT WEST PEACHTREE Mixed use development 19,000 sq ft of retail. 343 units of apartments.

• Like 1

^

This 782 Peachtree being the roughly ten story apartment development on 5th? I'd assumed this one was practically dead. We've heard barely a peep about it this year. I would really love to see this one come to fruition though. It's no skyline changer, but it would definitely bring more vitality to the less on-fire southern part of Midtown.

^

This 782 Peachtree being the roughly ten story apartment development on 5th? I'd assumed this one was practically dead. We've heard barely a peep about it this year. I would really love to see this one come to fruition though. It's no skyline changer, but it would definitely bring more vitality to the less on-fire southern part of Midtown.

I agree. Between this and 811 Peactree (both currently in permitting), the south side of midtown is finally getting some well needed attention. I think these projects, along with the student towers over on Spring, will actually have a bigger impact on midtown than all of the development proposed around the 14th area.

Thank you Martinman. A picture is worth more than a thousand words! 

In other construction news...

The City greenlights the $650M 98 14th St proposal. 

Not that I was doubting one minute that they wouldn't greenlight this project. So, I believe it's safe to assume that the access issues have been corrected. Based on the article in print edition of the Atlanta Business Chronicle, the land deal was closed on on yesterday. Cheers to this moving forward.

The largest high-rise residential project planned in Atlanta has the green light to go forward.

City planners on April 29 approved a proposal for a $650 million trio of twisting towers at 98 14th St., the former “symphony center” site.

The approval paves the way for OHM Atlanta LLC, a New York-based development group that includes Olympia Heights Management LLC and Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., to acquire the roughly 4-acre site.

In an April 30 email, project attorney Kathryn Zickert of Smith, Gambrell & Russell LLP said the deal on the land would close on May 1.

Source:http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2014/05/02/city-greenlights-650m-98-14th-st-project.html

Edited by Lady Celeste
  • Like 1

I agree. Between this and 811 Peactree (both currently in permitting), the south side of midtown is finally getting some well needed attention. I think these projects, along with the student towers over on Spring, will actually have a bigger impact on midtown than all of the development proposed around the 14th area.

I agree that those two (811 and 782) will have a huge impact on Midtown and really improve the steet level experience in that part of Peachtree.  Its already clear that the student towers will make Spring street feel a  lot more urban and sort of help connect Tech Square  to Plaza Midtown.   

By the way, the reason that 782 seemed to go quiet is that they kept presenting plans that did not have any retail on Peachtree.  In one instance they tried to pass off the club house as retail even though it had no entrance on Peachtree. 

Edited by Martinman

In fact your comment reminds of this picture.  I made a post in Oct on how much this part of Midtown could change with all of the proposed projects and I didn't know even about 811 Peachtree at the time.  So now the progress report...

Skyhouse South - complete

University House - Under construction

Centergy North - under construction

33 Peachtree Place - planned May groundbreaking

Seventh condo - progressing through permitting  (3 units under contract so far)

811 Peachtree - progressing through permitting

782 Pechtree - progressing through permitting

GT Computing building - planned start in 2015

oyrl.png

Edited by Martinman

From http://www.trillist.com/about/

In Atlanta, two high-profile YOO projects are close to commencing construction. These groundbreaking projects represent the first time a developer has introduced a globally-renowned lifestyle brand to the residential market. YOO on the Park, located adjacent to Piedmont Park—the recreational epicenter of the city—is conceived as a veritable extension of the park itself, reflecting its greenery, fitness-focus, and liveliness, while adding superb luxury finishes, state-of-the-art technology, and the inventive, unexpected design touches that are immediately and singularly recognizable as YOO.

Mere blocks away from YOO on the Park, situated at the center of Atlanta’s increasingly evolving “Midtown Mile”, 1138 Peachtree will rise as a complement to and ultimate realization of the city’s most forward thinking, modern mixed-use properties.

I guess this is the new company fromk the owner of Tivoli that is developing both of these towers. So both at once... exciting! The new renderings for YOO on the Park look really nice too:

0ud0.jpg