Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Interesting.

So the developers are going to build YOO on the Park and YOO on Peachtree at the same time. That is rather aggressive but I will not complain. I definitely hope that they pull it off. With so many towering proposals, it is a race to the finish now. I guess we will soon have a finished rendering of YOO on Peachtree.

In fact your comment reminds of this picture.  I made a post in Oct on how much this part of Midtown could change with all of the proposed projects and I didn't know even about 811 Peachtree at the time.  So now the progress report...

Skyhouse South - complete

University House - Under construction

Centergy North - under construction

33 Peachtree Place - planned May groundbreaking

Seventh condo - progressing through the permitting process (3 units under contract so far)

811 Peachtree - progressing through the permitting process

782 Pechtree - progressing through the permitting process

GT Computing building - planned start in 2015

oyrl.png

It is awesome when you think about it. Every proposal you listed above will be captured in this one photo. You could even crop 1/2 inch off the right side and still EVERYTHING listed above is in this shot.  

In other construction news...

The City greenlights the $650M 98 14th St proposal. 

Not that I was doubting one minute that they wouldn't greenlight this project. So, I believe it's safe to assume that the access issues have been corrected. Based on the article in print edition of the Atlanta Business Chronicle, the land deal was closed on on yesterday. Cheers to this moving forward.

Well it is now OFFICIAL. The land deal closed on May 2nd. 

Known as 98 14th Street, the project would include up to 1,300 units, making it the largest high-rise development planned in the city.

International firm Arquitectonica, the same architects behind Philips Arena, is designing the 2 million-square-foot project.

It would include three towers, the tallest soaring more than 700 feet.

The 98 14th Street project is really staying in the development news lately.

From a skyscraper sense, I love seeing "the tallest soaring more than 700 feet". More importantly for me however is that this project will add more than 1300 new residents to a 4 acre site if built out as proposed. The developers need to be a little more speedy if they want to take advantage of this building cycle. There is a great deal of inventory proposed or coming on line in 1000 foot radius of this proposal. Towers B and C will both be above 650' so if we can just get one of those, I would be okay.

A quote from Curbed Atlanta:

The tallest 98 14th St. tower would climb to 720 feet, making it three feet shorter than the cylindrical Westin Peachtree Plaza and the sixth tallest structure in Atlanta. At the base of those towers, plans now call for a grid system with wide sidewalks and parallel parking — a "boulevard feel" meant to foster the retail element, one official told the Atlanta Business Chronicle. Should agreements with adjacent property owners such as Cousins Properties and Hines come through, we can expect a "Spanish Steps"-inspired stairway connecting to One Atlantic Center, a new road to West Peachtree Street and paths cutting to 15th Street and other sky-rises in the neighborhood, the newspaper reports.

My oh my! This is a marked improvement over the initial proposal. Great job and kudos to the Midtown Alliance's Development Review Board AND the city of Atlanta for requesting such improvements. We all love to read the words "grid system". 

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2014/05/developers-buy-high-profile-symphony-center-site.html

Edited by Lady Celeste

Interesting.

So the developers are going to build YOO on the Park and YOO on Peachtree at the same time. That is rather aggressive but I will not complain. I definitely hope that they pull it off. With so many towering proposals, it is a race to the finish now. I guess we will soon have a finished rendering of YOO on Peachtree.

So I was right that what was Tivoli does have a partner on both projects.  From the way its listed in the portfolio on that website, 1138 Peachtree will have both apartments and for sale units which makes a lot of sense.

Yes Martinman, you did indeed call it correctly.

I really hope some of the units in 1138 Peachtree are for sale units. It is very difficult to find a full floor square or rectangle unit in Atlanta these days. While the architecture may not be as awe inspiring from the outside, it makes it easier from a "designing one's home" perspective on the inside. Call me old school but I like hallways so places like the MO in Buckhead offers some serious challenges.

Once construction starts, I hope we have someone eager to take pictures or make a video. Where is ImmovableMedia these days?  

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2014/05/09/another-high-rise-eyed-for-14th-and-west-peachtree.html

Miami’s The Related Group wants to put a high-rise residential project and possibly a hotel at 14th and West Peachtree streets — a booming stretch of Midtown where several other towers are already planned.

Related Group has the 2.2-acre site at the intersection’s southwest corner under contract and its initial plans call for a more than 20-story building with nearly 400 units. A second phase of the project could include a hotel, people familiar with the project say.

The 14th Street area is booming!

So now Related wants in on the 14th Street action?

On this one block of 14th Street from Peachtree Street to West Peachtree Street we have proposed:

1) 98 14th Street : 3 towers ranging from 38 - 60 stories. 1300 residential units, 340 hotel room, 96000 sq ft retail

2) 14th Street @ W Peachtree Street : Novare Group proposal, 350+ residential units  

3) 14th Street @ W Peachtree Street : 2 towers. 400 residential units, new hotel, 15000 sq ft retail

That's a potential 2000+ residential units for one block that is no more than a quarter of a mile long. All are tentatively scheduled to begin construction around the same time...early 2015. I am not even including the 51 story YOO on Peachtree proposal, the 50 story and 22 story Daniel and Selig proposals at 12th & Midtown, the 30 story Amli apartment building on W. Peachtree St or the Northside Hospital Medical Arts building on West Peachtree.

That's an awful lot of people for a stretch of road that already handles a great deal of office worker traffic. Some of Atlanta's largest law firms are in the area. Luckily the area is served by the Arts Center MARTA Station and direct access to the Downtown Connector (I-75/I-85). I think it is time for the Midtown Alliance to consider starting some sort of circular transit service in the area similar to The Buck in Buckhead.

We may have to reconsider our conversation on the impact on 14th street.  If all of these somehow come to fruition.... WOW!

Hell, if even half of them come to fruition...

For what it's worth, I saw workers marking the underground utilities at 33 Peachtree Place this weekend. So hopefully it's about to start!

This week's DRC agenda includes a follow up on Amli Arts center tower, Novare's next project at 14th and West Peachtree, and a new Post tower proposal on 11th street.

5:30 FOLLOW-UP: Amli Arts Center
Project Type: New construction of a 30-story apartment tower with 351 units and 3,400 SF of retail. The project is across the street from the Arts Center MARTA Station and has frontage on both West Peachtree and Spring Street. Parking (551 spaces) will be provided in a separate parking structure fronting on Spring.
Applicant(s): David Goodman, [email protected]

6:00 NEW APPLICATION: 1163 West Peachtree Street
Project Type: New construction of a 32-story residential project with frontage on 14th Street, West Peachtree Street and 13th
Street. The parking deck (500+ spaces) will be fully enclosed with entrances proposed on 14th Street and West Peachtree Street. The tower will have 400+ apartment units and will be located at the corner of West Peachtree and 13th Street with primary vehicular access from West Peachtree and 13th Street.
Applicant(s): Emmy Montanye, [email protected]

6:45 NEW APPLICATION: 33 11th Street, Post Midtown Millennium
Project Type: New construction of 23-story residential project with frontage on 11th Street and Peachtree Walk. The project is organized as 15 levels of apartment units (approx. 327 total) above 7 levels of fully-enclosed parking. Vehicular access is provided from Peachtree Walk.
Edited by Martinman

6:00 NEW APPLICATION: 1163 West Peachtree Street

Project Type: New construction of a 32-story residential project with frontage on 14th Street, West Peachtree Street and 13th

Street. The parking deck (500+ spaces) will be fully enclosed with entrances proposed on 14th Street and West Peachtree Street. The tower will have 400+ apartment units and will be located at the corner of West Peachtree and 13th Street with primary vehicular access from West Peachtree and 13th Street.

Applicant(s): Emmy Montanye, [email protected]

6:45 NEW APPLICATION: 33 11th Street, Post Midtown Millennium

Project Type: New construction of 23-story residential project with frontage on 11th Street and Peachtree Walk. The project is organized as 15 levels of apartment units (approx. 327 total) above 7 levels of fully-enclosed parking. Vehicular access is provided from Peachtree Walk.

Nice! Judging by the height and unit count for the Novare building, it would appear that it is on a parking podium... to me at least. Hopefully they're not just setting their skyhouse model on a 7-8 story parking deck!

The post project came out of no where! I'm asuming it's going on the southwest corner of 11th and Peachtree Walk, where there's an undeveloped lot today. Seems to be a great location, right on the Marta station.

Now we just need some renderings! I would try to go to this meeting, as it's just up the street from me, but it's kind of early and I don't get out of work in time. :(

I am really thrilled about the synergies that are occurring in the area bound by 10th Street to 15th Street and Peachtree Street to Spring Street.

So far there are 11 residential towers proposed in this area alone. As Kh9142 said above, even if just half are built, that would alter this location forever. This area has long been strong in the office sector. Now with the ever increasing residential portion of the equation, even more retail and restaurants are sure to follow. It seems like the area is at the tipping point and development is feeding off itself as opposed to needing outside forces to fuel the growth. I am a firm believer that MARTA  and Piedmont Park are also great selling points. The builders are definitely bullish on this locale.

This area could quite possibly be one of the most vibrant areas in the intown market. 

• Like 1

Here's a summary of a post by Atlanta Mustang from tonight's DRC meeting. :thumbsup:

Amli Arts Center - 15th street will be extended to Williams street as a part of this project.  The fact that 15th street will cut through the site at an angle has caused the architects to design a bend in the middle of the building offering a bit of interest in an otherwise typical residential "slab" tower. The parking deck is covered in "yellow louvres" that the commitee requested more information on before approving the design.

1163 West Peachtree Street - The design is as if The Atlantic and Skyhouse had a baby. The parking deck will front 14th street with the tower fronting 13th.  The cladding and detail on the deck is designed to mimic One Atlantic Center across the street with retail at the ground level on 14th, W Peachtree and part of 13th.  Einstein's will take one of the retail spaces on West Peachtree

Post Midtown Millennium - A typical residential tower in terms of design except that the Peachtree Walk frontage will be stepped down to midrise apartments due to the Marta line running underneath the property.  The deck is completely hidden in this project.

The pics....

Post Millenium

IMG_20140513_185632_633-1_zps0d517f21.jp

IMG_20140513_190409_109-1_zpseddccebd.jp

IMG_20140513_190415_171-1_zps2a23a589.jp

1163 West Peachtree

IMG_20140513_182234_296-1_zpsd5bcf153.jp

West Peachtree frontage

IMG_20140513_182043_124-1_zpsb3b06441.jp

Street level of the parking deck

IMG_20140513_181840_214-1_zps5de4d61b.jp

Edited by Martinman
  • Like 1

I don't hate either of these...

I don't know how I feel about Novare putting the parking deck on 14th and pushing the tower back to 13th, however. I'm sure they did it to get the tower taller (higher part of the site) and to give a little more elbow room between the other towers in the area... both helping with views. I just hope the parking deck looks nothing like a parking deck in reality. I do like how they tied in the architectural features and look of One Atlantic.

The post tower is nice too. I like how it has more brick, which ties it to its tower neighbors. I also like how the balconies appear to be inset, and not sticking out from the face of the building.  

I think you're exactly right about the Novare tower being pushed back for the sake of views. And yeah that seems like a missed opportunity for a more enclosed, urban corridor along 14th. That seems to be an unfotunate pattern around Midtown, with the exception of Peachtree, that most towers don't align to any common street front along blocks where there actually are contiguous structures. In any case the added density and height will be nice. Now to take bets on how much of this insane bumper-crop of towers actually goes vertical!

I don't hate either of these...

I don't know how I feel about Novare putting the parking deck on 14th and pushing the tower back to 13th, however. I'm sure they did it to get the tower taller (higher part of the site) and to give a little more elbow room between the other towers in the area... both helping with views. I just hope the parking deck looks nothing like a parking deck in reality. I do like how they tied in the architectural features and look of One Atlantic.

The post tower is nice too. I like how it has more brick, which ties it to its tower neighbors. I also like how the balconies appear to be inset, and not sticking out from the face of the building.  

I feel the same way.  I understand why they put the tower on 13th but it still just seems a bit odd.  As longs the deck does not look like a deck, it will be a win.  A poster on another forum says that deed restrictions require that the ground level of all 4 blocks at 14th and W Peachtree have similar materials to One Atlantic Center. 

I think the Post tower is a bit different than anything else in Midtown so I like it too.   In fact I think Novare could have used the same method to hide their deck for Skyhouse South. 

This was the quickest we have ever gotten information and renderings from a Midtown DRC meeting. Thank you AtlantaMustang for the information and thank you Martinman for the speedy posting of said information. I was really curious as to if there would be renderings. I have not been disappointed.

My thoughts on the proposals:

Amli Arts Center:

From the description, it sounds like this building will be a welcomed change from the norm. I am also super thrilled to hear that 15th Street will in fact be extended to Spring Street. This will help alleviate traffic in an area that is becoming increasingly dense by the proposal. I eagerly await a rendering of these "louvers" that this proposal has incorporated into the parking deck.

1163 West Peachtree Street (Novare):

If there is one thing we have been shown by Novare Group with their last three proposals in Atlanta, construction should start within months of approval by the DRC.

If I must be honest, I am not totally thrilled with the parking deck fronting 14th Street. I am however pleased that Novare took a little effort in making the building mimic the classic theme of One Atlantic Center. To the best of their abilities and budget of course. I think from the street level the 14th Street presence will be inviting. The curb cut on 14th Street...not so much. I am really liking the wrap around retail. The retail should do well considering the large amount of office worker in the immediate area. From a pedestrian point of view, this proposal is a winner. Minus that 14th Street curb cut of course.

My preference would have been for the parking garage to face 13th Street. I can understand "the view" issue. The building would have been directly across the street from a 50 story office building. When you live in the city however you can not always expect a grand view. Maybe the Atlanta market is not yet ready for such a view. Then again, perhaps Novare is positioning this building to go condo in the future. Overall it is an improvement over the typical Skyhouse and is quite similar to the Atlantic over in Atlantic Station. 

Post Midtown Millennium: this proposal came out of nowhere. I am assuming that this building shares the block with the Millennium office tower that fronts 10th Street. Its architecture mimics the office building considerably. I also like what appears to be brick in the facade. It is not earth shattering but one must love the density that it will bring to the neighborhood. Being close to the Midtown MARTA station is also a plus.  

In conclusion, all three are very nice infill projects. These are the baby steps necessary to make this area inviting to not only businesses but residents and retail as well.

From this perspective, 1138 West Peachtree doesn't look bad at all. Imagine when the three towers at 98 14th Street and the two proposed towers across West Peachtree (to the left of the Novare building) are done. That will be a nice cluster of buildings. 

novare-600*600.jpg

novare7*600.jpg

novare8*600.jpg

novare-1*600.jpg

novare4*600.jpg

Love to retail space.

novare5*600.jpg

Two swimming pools...very nice.

novare6*600.jpg

So there will be a tennis court on top of the parking garage? With the amenities package, this building will fill up quickly. 

Edited by Lady Celeste

From this perspective, 1138 West Peachtree doesn't look bad at all. Imagine when the three towers at 98 14th Street and the two proposed towers across West Peachtree (to the left of the Novare building) are done. That will be a nice cluster of buildings.

novare-600*600.jpg

novare8*600.jpg

Is that  supposed to be 1138 Peachtree to the right?   The position doesn't look right but I don't know what else it could be.

In the second image, we can clearly see why it made sense to front the tower on 13th.  They would lose more units facing the parking deck due to the grade change on that lot.

After seeing the renderings I am actually excited about a Novare project!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Martinman

Is that  supposed to be 1138 Peachtree to the right?   The position doesn't look right but I don't know what else it could be.

In the second image, we can clearly see why it made sense to front the tower on 13th.  They would lose more units facing the parking deck due to the grade change on that lot.

After seeing the renderings I am actually excited about a Novare project!  :thumbsup:

I am excited by it as well Martinman. This is one that we know will be under construction soon given Novare's past performance with announcements to commencement of construction schedules in Atlanta.

I would think that 1138 Peachtree would be just to the right of the edge of that shot. As far as that tall building to the right of the proposal, I think that is a horrible rendering of the Four Seasons. How does one get One Atlantic Center right but totally mess up on the Four Seasons? Both buildings are post modern architecture.   

I feel the same way.  I understand why they put the tower on 13th but it still just seems a bit odd.  As longs the deck does not look like a deck, it will be a win.  A poster on another forum says that deed restrictions require that the ground level of all 4 blocks at 14th and W Peachtree have similar materials to One Atlantic Center. 

I think the Post tower is a bit different than anything else in Midtown so I like it too.   In fact I think Novare could have used the same method to hide their deck for Skyhouse South. 

That's interesting... so I guess any development by Related on the other corner will look similar at the ground level.

The more I look at the rendering, the more I like this building. The street level treatment is actually quite nice, and the parking deck is as good as it can be.With the amentities ans such,  I could honestly see this building going Condo before it's finished...

On another note, on my drive home yesterday I did notice that the retail in the first Skyhouse deck appears to now be fully leased. The retail in the tower is still open, however. We need to get some more bodies in the area!

I like the post tower here - looks original enough - not so much the novare copy & paste architecture.

I went apt hunting in midtown this weekend since I'm moving back to Atlanta next week - my goal was to find anything decent for less than $1300/month.  Apparently that is new bottom-rung figure for decent rentals in Midtown.  My how rents have skyrocketed in the mere 7 months I have been gone.  The unit I was leasing for $1200 in October now $1400!!  Apparently Skyhouse South is full except for a 3-bedroom unit on the 2nd floor facing southeast (panoramic views of takorea and the boarded up ludacris diner).  I am so discouraged :(

Edited by andremurra