Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Construction updates....

A photo of the Centergy North construction site. This photo was taken by Scania from the amenities deck of

Plaza Midtown a block away...

ps0h.jpg

and a block north of the Centergy site we have the Student Apartment building site.

Photo%20May%2020,%208%2049%2030%20AM-lg.

This photo was taken by Briantech from the Centergy Center.

A rendering of the proposed Amli Arts Center apartment tower. 

amli-newest-slide.jpg

I do like the bow-effect of the building. Also, the "yellow awnings" as they were described are tasteful and not excessive. I'm glad to see more residential coming. I'll give it a thumbs up.

AMLI Arts Center – Following an initial presentation in January 2014, AMLI Residential returned to the DRC to present an update to the proposed AMLI Arts Center at West Peachtree and 15th Street. The project includes 350 apartment units, 4,350 square feet of retail space, and a 552 space precast parking structure across the street from the Arts Center MARTA Station. The DRC anticipates recommending approval for the project but will conduct a final design review with the applicant electronically to approve the proposed parking deck facade.

811 Peachtree Street Update Alert!!!

Per a trusted source:

The source was walking by the site of 811 Peachtree Street...the 35-story proposed apartment tower...and there seemed to be some workers on site. He asked one of the workers when would construction start. The worker advised the source that construction on [this beauty] should start in August.  

So it looks like one of the favorites is a go. Not that we should have doubted, there have been reports of work going on at the site for a few months now. This one will add variety and definitely make an impact on the skyline.  

For a refresher:

southday_zps0f9890fe.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Contruction photo...........

Wow, Centergy North is rising quickly.

IMG_20140526_150732_402_zps8899498b.jpgPhoto courtesy of AtlantaMustang

The tower cranes of both student towers. Blue crane for the 24 story Centergy North mixed-use building and the red crane for the 19 story GA TECH student housing building.

wi07o.jpg

Courtesy smArtaLlone of skyscraperpage.com

Edited by Lady Celeste

How many apartments under construction or proposed?

I was recently wondering how many apartments are under construction or proposed within the city limes (132 square miles) of Atlanta. Ladson Haddow of Haddow & Co has the answer. I decided to put this information in the Midtown section since it is ground zero of so much of the apartment construction.    

There are 8,374 apartment units proposed inside the city limits.

There are more than 8,200 units currently under construction inside the city limits. 

With more and more units proposed weekly and more and more proposals started, these numbers are sure to increase. This is pretty amazing considering the city limits is only 132 sq miles. Also of interest is the apartment rental rates that some of the newer apartment towers are achieving. Daniel Corp's 77 12th Street is seeing $2.31/sq ft followed by Novare Group's Skyhouse South which is achieving $2.24/sq ft. Occupancy is also averaging a healthy 96.1%. That's a really successful lease up rate. 

This should bode well for apartment construction. Especially in the Midtown District. With so many proposals, some have started to voice some concern. With lease up rates and price per square footage as stated above, I think we will see many of these proposals started. Financing will be made easy due to the success of the previous buildings. Developers are very bullish on the intown market...now we know why.

62977_1401378740_77-12th-street-main-2-5

The amenities deck of 77 12th Street.    

How many apartments under construction or proposed?

I was recently wondering how many apartments are under construction or proposed within the city limes (132 square miles) of Atlanta. Ladson Haddow of Haddow & Co has the answer. I decided to put this information in the Midtown section since it is ground zero of so much of the apartment construction.    

There are 8,374 apartment units proposed inside the city limits.

There are more than 8,200 units currently under construction inside the city limits. 

With more and more units proposed weekly and more and more proposals started, these numbers are sure to increase. This is pretty amazing considering the city limits is only 132 sq miles. Also of interest is the apartment rental rates that some of the newer apartment towers are achieving. Daniel Corp's 77 12th Street is seeing $2.31/sq ft followed by Novare Group's Skyhouse South which is achieving $2.24/sq ft. Occupancy is also averaging a healthy 96.1%. That's a really successful lease up rate. 

This should bode well for apartment construction. Especially in the Midtown District. With so many proposals, some have started to voice some concern. With lease up rates and price per square footage as stated above, I think we will see many of these proposals started. Financing will be made easy due to the success of the previous buildings. Developers are very bullish on the intown market...now we know why.

62977_1401378740_77-12th-street-main-2-5

The amenities deck of 77 12th Street.    

131 Ponce is in a sweet spot, since nothing else will deliver in Midtown for at least a year after its completed.  It would have been ideal if some of the other Midtown proposals were already well underway so that the delivery of new units to the market would be staggered.  As it is, it looks like we will have several projects start in second half of this year which could really test the depth of the apartment market when they all are completed in 2015/early 2016.

Edited by Martinman

I agree with you that the depth of the apartment market will truly be tested in 2015/2016. It appears that many of the developers are full steam ahead on their proposals. Even if just half of the remaining proposals are built, that will be a considerable amount of rental units. I think that several buildings currently slated to be apartments will probably slowly shift over to condo. I can see more condos for the 98 14th Street project. Especially Tower C with the hotel component. 811 Peachtree as well as 782 Peachtree would be great candidates for condo conversion as well. Until there are price/sq ft rate retreats, the developers will continue to announce more product.

At least with 98 14th Street, the developers have given a buildout timetable of 2020. Even with that time frame, they are proposing three towers so two of these behemoths would be nearing completion around the same time or close to it. 

One thing we don't really talk about on this particular site is the number of jobs moving intown. Atlanta-based AT&T Wireless, purchased another mobile carrier based in Alpharetta (Cricket Wireless) and will move it to the Lindbergh Center where AT&T already houses its Internet Services Division. Read it here: http://wabe.org/post/att-moving-cricket-subsidiary-atlanta. This is in addition to NCR supposedly scouting the Midtown area for a location to relocate its corporate HQ. On top of that, Coca~Cola had already announced that they were moving 2,000 tech jobs to the Suntrust Plaza Downtown.

The Millennials seem to prefer intown living to the suburbs and some tech jobs are relocating intown to better position themselves for recruiting. I am just outside of their age group so I can't say for sure if this is true of not.

“They are going where the labor force is.  The young, millennial people, who are tech-savvy…..that’s the kind of workforce they’re looking for.  And that workforce doesn’t live in the suburbs, it lives in-town,” says Dr. Rajeev Dhawan, the director the Economic Forecasting Center at Georgia State University.

Perhaps this group is fueling the surge of intown apartment growth in Atlanta. I still do believe that some projects that are late out of the gate will feel the heat of some stiff competition. It would also drive down the $/sq ft of some older apartment buildings. Time will tell who the winners are and who the losers will be.

• 3 weeks later...

This board has been quiet lately... hmm.

I was poking around the city of Atlanta permitting site today. There hasn't been much progress on any of the projects that were in for permitting... nothing really new to report from the last time I posted an update. 782 Peachtree is the only one that has had activity in the past month. Looks like some of them have slowed!

However, I did look up Yoo on the Park. It has recently been submitted for full building permit-- the land disturbance permit and a foundation permit were approved last year. So that's progress! But perhaps the most insteresting thing was that there was a record of a footing inspection (which they failed) on 6/11/2014. This would mean to me that something is moving forward on the site! If I have a chance tonight, I'll try to walk by.

Edited by Kh9142

Next week's MIdtown DRC meeting agenda reveals a new project on 11th Street and a bit more info on the Related and Atlantic Realty proposals.

NEW APPLICATION: 22 Fourteenth Street, Related Group
Project Type: New construction of a mixed-use project consisting of a residential tower with approx. 400 units above a structured parking podium. The project includes approx. 6,500 SF of retail space at the corner of 14th
 and West Peachtree. 

NEW APPLICATION: 1010 West Peachtree Street, The Hanover Company 
Project Type: New construction of a 6-story mixed-use project with frontage on Spring, 10th Street and West Peachtree. The project includes approx. 328 residential units with 13,000 SF of retail fronting on 10th Street. 

NEW APPLICATION: Piedmont & 11th Street Apartments (Azure on the Park),
Atlantic Realty Partners 
Project Type: New construction of 24-story residential tower (approx. 283 units) and an adjacent 5-story building that with structured parking wrapped in residential units (approx. 47) and roughly 
2,100 SF of retail space at the corner. This is the first phase of a larger development that would also include an 18-story residential tower fronting on 10th Street.

This board has been quiet lately... hmm.

I was poking around the city of Atlanta permitting site today. There hasn't been much progress on any of the projects that were in for permitting... nothing really new to report from the last time I posted an update. 782 Peachtree is the only one that has had activity in the past month. Looks like some of them have slowed!

However, I did look up Yoo on the Park. It has recently been submitted for full building permit-- the land disturbance permit and a foundation permit were approved last year. So that's progress! But perhaps the most insteresting thing was that there was a record of a footing inspection (which they failed) on 6/11/2014. This would mean to me that something is moving forward on the site! If I have a chance tonight, I'll try to walk by.

That's interesting. It has been a bit of lull with the busy summer (for me) and lack of movement on some of the many proposals in Midtown.

Next week's MIdtown DRC meeting agenda reveals a new project on 11th Street and a bit more info on the Related and Atlantic Realty proposals.

NEW APPLICATION: 22 Fourteenth Street, Related Group
Project Type: New construction of a mixed-use project consisting of a residential tower with approx. 400 units above a structured parking podium. The project includes approx. 6,500 SF of retail space at the corner of 14th
 and West Peachtree. 

NEW APPLICATION: 1010 West Peachtree Street, The Hanover Company 

Project Type: New construction of a 6-story mixed-use project with frontage on Spring, 10th Street and West Peachtree. The project includes approx. 328 residential units with 13,000 SF of retail fronting on 10th Street. 

NEW APPLICATION: Piedmont & 11th Street Apartments (Azure on the Park),
Atlantic Realty Partners 
Project Type: New construction of 24-story residential tower (approx. 283 units) and an adjacent 5-story building that with structured parking wrapped in residential units (approx. 47) and roughly 
2,100 SF of retail space at the corner. This is the first phase of a larger development that would also include an 18-story residential tower fronting on 10th Street.

Interesting. I'm asuming the Hanover proposal has something to do with the drilling rigs, surveyors, and utility markers I've seen on the Checkers site. A 6 story building is kind of a let down at this prime and very visible location, however.

Hopefully some renderings will come from the meeting tonight!

That's interesting. It has been a bit of lull with the busy summer (for me) and lack of movement on some of the many proposals in Midtown.

I walked by the YOO on the Park site and there is nothing going on. There has been a strange lull in the projects!  

I did hear that 7 of the 20 units in Seventh are already under contract, so I would expect to see the Starbucks moving soon. It appears that the retail renovations of Viewpoint are moving along nicely (and look great, btw), so they should have somewhere to move to soon.

Interesting. I'm asuming the Hanover proposal has something to do with the drilling rigs, surveyors, and utility markers I've seen on the Checkers site. A 6 story building is kind of a let down at this prime and very visible location, however.

Hopefully some renderings will come from the meeting tonight!

I walked by the YOO on the Park site and there is nothing going on. There has been a strange lull in the projects!  

I did hear that 7 of the 20 units in Seventh are already under contract, so I would expect to see the Starbucks moving soon. It appears that the retail renovations of Viewpoint are moving along nicely (and look great, btw), so they should have somewhere to move to soon.

It does seem like a waste of such a prime sit but as long as the building is quality architecture I don't mind the 6 stories. 

I agree.  I LUV how the VIewpoint renovation is turning out. I think its going to look better than the 12th & Midtown retail when its done.  

I just read that someone reported seeing some heavy equipment on the Yoo site today so maybe it is about to start after all.   I am surprised at the delay with 33 Peachtree Place starting but I suppose that's just typical of the development process. 

It does seem like a waste of such a prime sit but as long as the building is quality architecture I don't mind the 6 stories. 

I agree.  I LUV how the VIewpoint renovation is turning out. I think its going to look better than the 12th & Midtown retail when its done.  

I just read that someone reported seeing some heavy equipment on the Yoo site today so maybe it is about to start after all.   I am surprised at the delay with 33 Peachtree Place starting but I suppose that's just typical of the development process. 

That is true. And the Hanover Website shows some buildings they've done which would fit pretty well with the surounding architecture.

I agree about the Viewpoint retail, and good news about Yoo! I'm ready to see some movement on at least some of this multitude of proposals before I get all discouraged! haha

Edit:

Courtesy of another forum, we have renderings!

st3d.png

Supposedly the parking for 1010 will be almost entirely underground. It's not horrible!

6sb4.png

22 Fourteenth breaks the novare mold a bit. It appears to be quite a tall building, and supposedly is only phase one, only taking up a third of the site.

Edited by Kh9142

http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2014/06/24/ace-hardware-opening-midtown-store/

This is actually really cool. Shows that Midtown is reaching the point where it might be able to sustain retail other than restaurants, salons, and dry cleaners...

I think Midtown could sustain different types of retail if there was enough of a concentration of retail in one area to make it a destination.  That's one reason that I really want to see projects such as 811 and 782 Peachtree come out of the ground. 

I agree that getting an Ace Hardware in the Midtown core is great!  Its a few less trips in the car to Home Depot on Ponce or someplace like that.  

I also like the quality of the new projects.  Two big thumbs up!  Azure on the Park, on the other hand, needs some work.  Their Piedmont frontage looks awful.

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

Novare has filed plans for the 32 story 1163 W. Peachtree apartment tower. 

novare-600*304xx600-400-0-44.jpg

Well, it appears that Novare is moving full steam ahead with the 32-story Skyhouse 4.0 or by its proper name 1163 W. Peachtree St. The prolific apartment tower builder submitted the first of several building permit applications to the City of Atlanta a week ago to begin construction of its latest project. The application calls for $1,850,000 in land development at the nearly 1.5 acre site.

This building will have 400 apartments as well as 10,000 square feet of retail. The Einstein Bros. Bagels, currently at the site, will relocate into a street level retail space of the development once the building is completed. While some may have their issues with Novare, one thing can be said about them: once they announce a building, it's a pretty good bet that construction will commence not long after said announcement. I can't wait till the webcam is up. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that this will occur as Skyhouse Buckhead wraps up.

I can't imagine them calling it Skyhouse [insert name here] however. What would you call it? Skyhouse Arts Center?   

• 3 weeks later...

DATE: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2014

TIME: 4:30 PM - *note earlier start time*

4:30 FOLLOW-UP: 22 Fourteenth Street, Related Group

Project Type: New construction of a mixed-use project consisting of a residential tower with approx. 400 units above a structured parking podium. The project includes approx. 6,500 SF of retail space at the corner of 14th and West Peachtree.

5:00 NEW APPLICATION: 8th Street and Williams (Mill Creek)

Project Type: New construction of a 29-story apartment tower with +/- 350 units and 12,300 SF of retail

at the corner of 8th Street and Williams Street.

Applicant(s): Jessica Hill, [email protected]

5:30 NEW APPLICATION: 6th Street and Juniper (Alliance Residential Company)

Project Type: New construction of an 8-story apartment building with approx. 218 units on the SE corner of Juniper at 6th Street.

6:00 NEW APPLICATION: 8th Street and West Peachtree (Trammel Crow)

Project Type: New construction of a 22-story mixed-use development containing approx. 10,000 SF of retail and +/- 356 residential units. Off-street parking (546 spaces) will be provided in a naturally-ventilated structure (Levels 1-7) which will be wrapped on the north and east sides by residential units.

6:30 NEW APPLICATION: 75 Peachtree Place

Project Type: Renovation of an existing office building to be converted into a lounge. Proposed scope of work includes façade enhancements and a new ramp to provide ADA access into the building.

Wow... this side of Midtown is the new spot! The difference could be huge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally, University House is starting to show some progress. The dueling towers rising above the Georgia Tech campus across the Connector. Centergy North clearly has a decisive lead. This photo was taken by scania from the Plaza Midtown condo building.

IMG_7515.jpg

Photo courtesy of Scania

On Tuesday, October 14th, the developers of the proposed 29-story Modera residential building went before the DRC. After recommendations by the board from a previous meeting were implemented, the board voted to approve the proposal. This building will be located on the same block as the University House but closer to the Downtown Connector. In the picture below, the University House is the u/c building with the red crane. The 19-story 33 Peachtree Place building, currently under construction as well, is one block away.  

asseeeee.jpeg

One thing is for sure, the Publix at the base of Plaza Midtown will be constantly busy. Now I understand why Publix is considering adding another store two blocks away at the base of 811 Peachtree Street proposal. Now if only NCR would make up their minds and move their HQ's to that parking lot in the first picture. Scania has a nice vantage point of all the construction action going on in Tech Square.    

IMG_7513.jpg

Photo courtesy of Scania

The likelihood of that ugly 811 Peachtree building is fading with each passing day.  Their proposed cost of construction was never realistic (less than Skyhouse South for 10+ more floors) with costs rising by the day.  I'd guess if they can funding, it will be for a height level in the 20 floor range.  As for getting Publix, I think that's a pipe dream as well.  All the high-rises in that area have targeted a grocery store but none seem interested in moving that far South on Peachtree.  I think we'll get a Publix or Fresh Market at some point, but expect it closer to around 10th than as far South as 5th street. 

5:30 FOLLOW-UP: “Modera,” 90 Peachtree Place (Mill Creek)
Project Type: New construction of a 29-story apartment tower with +/- 350 units and 12,300 SF of retail 
at the corner of 8th Street and Williams Street.
Applicant(s): Jessica Hill, [email protected]

6:00 FOLLOW-UP: “Broadstone Terraces,” Juniper/6th Street (Alliance Residential)
Project Type: New construction of an 8-story apartment building with approx. 218 units on the SE 
corner of Juniper at 6th Street.
Applicant(s): Ben Hudgins, [email protected]

6:30 FOLLOW-UP: 75 Peachtree Place
Project Type: Renovation of an existing office building to be converted into a lounge. Proposed scope of 
work includes façade enhancements and a new ramp to provide ADA access into the 
building. 
Applicant(s): Harold Singer, [email protected]

I can confirm that the current tenants of the Broadstone Terraces have been vacating the property in the last week. 

Just an FYI- New construction trailers and fencing are being installed today on the 1125 Peachtree Lot. I'm assuming that Brasfield and Gorrie will continue to use this lot as staging for the next 12th and midtown project (60 11th street)... so that should be starting soon!

Also, Seventh is starting next month. They're pretty much waiting on starbucks to move at this point. 

• Like 1