Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Great!!! We have alot of these proposals moving to actual buildings...and in a "relative" short period of time from initial announcement. 

So now we have this....

Two Midtown projects broke ground this week. 

33 Peachtree Place

62044_1398836744_33ptreeplace.jpg

photo%201%20copy.JPG

780 Peachtree

782-peachtree-jlb-partners_small.jpg

photo%205.JPG

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2014/09/25/ground-breaks-on-two-more-midtown-apartment-towers.php

And this.....

Just an FYI- New construction trailers and fencing are being installed today on the 1125 Peachtree Lot. I'm assuming that Brasfield and Gorrie will continue to use this lot as staging for the next 12th and midtown project (60 11th street)... so that should be starting soon!

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-14%20at%2010.13.

...all starting now! SOON we will have these two starting as well....

pic_493553.650.jpg

Seventh and Peachtree condo building.

novare-600600.jpg

Novare Group's 1163 W Peachtree Street apartment tower. Look for movement as the Skyhouse Buckhead site wraps up.

That's a healthy amount of infill development going on for the Midtown District. While they aren't the towering skyscrapers that some would like to see, I'm pleased to see actual construction starting...finally. Atlanta is quietly marching along.   

• Like 1

Permitting Update:

811 Peachtree: Very close, only 2 departments remaining. Appears to be having issues with site development and zoning. Hydrology report approval was entered yesterday, so there is still movement!

1163 West Peachtree: Only waiting on water department approval for it's land disturbance permit. It's in for building permit also.

60 11th: Appears to be fully approved, just waiting on impact fee calculations.

1301 Peachtree (One Museum):  Permitting activity on this one has stalled since June. 

Thanks for the insights!  Please keep them coming.    Do you know if any of these buildings have revised their plans based on market changes?  Although I love to see the growth,  I wish it was less apartments and more condos.   I worry what Midtown will look like as these buildings age without a solid base of ownership within the area.  I also feel horrible for the owners in ViewPoint if an apartment building decreases their property value ironically eliminating their "view". 

Thanks for the insights!  Please keep them coming.    Do you know if any of these buildings have revised their plans based on market changes?  Although I love to see the growth,  I wish it was less apartments and more condos.   I worry what Midtown will look like as these buildings age without a solid base of ownership within the area.  I also feel horrible for the owners in ViewPoint if an apartment building decreases their property value ironically eliminating their "view". 

No changes that I know of, but I'm betting that some of the apartment buildings under construction will convert to condos sooner rater than later. I've heard that both One Museum and Seventh have really high interest, and that the Atlantic in Atlantic station is having decent results selling it's conversions. 

I know Wood Partners has mentioned converting the tower portion of 33 Peachtree Place to condos-- or that it was being built so that the conversion would be easy. 

oyrl.png

Time to revisit this again now that there have been even more new proposals for the area pictured above.   

Here's the status of BIG changes coming to this part of Midtown.  All total these developments would add approximately 3,100 residential units, 125,000 SF retail space, and 488,000 SF of office space just in this section of Midtown. 

1. Skyhouse South - 24  stories - Complete
  2. University House Midtown - 20 stories - Under construction
  3. Tech Square Tower - 25 stories - Under construction
  4. 33 Peachtree Place - 21 stories - Under Construction
  5. Seventh condo - 9 stories - Groundbreaking in November
  6. 811 Peachtree - 35 stories - proposed
  7. 782 Peachtree - 12 stories - Under Construction
  8. GT Computing building - 25 stories - proposed
  9. 880 West Peachtree - 22 stories - proposed
  10. Modera Midtown - 29 stories - proposed
  11. Broadstone Terraces - 6 stories - proposed
  12. 1010 West Peachtree - 6 stories - proposed
Edited by Martinman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One Museum Place to break ground SOON.

one-museum-place*1200xx3840-2160-0-0.jpg

Sales at One Museum Place have been nothing short of BRISK. The John Wieland condominium development, located across Peachtree Street from the Woodruff Arts Center and the High Museum, plans to break ground soon after a kickoff luncheon later this week. Posters on other sites have reported that movement at the site has already started. The 45 unit development is close to sellout. Prices for the homes range from $900,000 to $3.7 million. Almost all of the higher priced units are spoken for as of my posting. Wieland hopes to deliver the first units at the end of 2015. This clearly shows that there is a built up demand for quality "for sale" units in the Midtown submarket. It also speaks volumes to the type of product that is in demand. These types of nicely scaled, quality, infill developments will help in increasing Midtown's vibrant nature. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy Springs based World Pay could move its HQ to Midtown, bring with it 1,266 jobs. 

World Pay, a Sandy Springs-based financial technology company is looking to move its HQ to Midtown. The company will meet with Invest Atlanta on Thursday. Generally when companies shuffle around the metro area, I don't make a big to-do about it. This move, however, shows how the Midtown brand as the metro area's technology center is solidifying. NCR, another technology company, has been said to also be considering a move to Midtown. This would bring an additional 1000+ workers to the city center. Both companies are said to be seeking possible new construction. The company had also considered a move to locations in other states. 

World Pay is seeking a possible $1.5 million incentive from Invest Atlanta. No, that is not a typo. This is a very small amount considering that the 1,266 jobs have an average salary of $73,317. 

WorldPay US is a unit of the London-based WorldPay Group, a global card payment acquiring business that lets customers accept card payments at point-of-sale and over the internet.

WorldPay helps anchor the global financial payments hub that is Atlanta. About 70 percent of all U.S. payments processed annually run through companies based in Georgia. Four of the top 20 American Banker FinTech 100 companies are headquartered in the Peach State.

This possible move also feeds into the narrative that Atlanta is growing inward. It appears that many companies are moving to where the public transportation is already available. Public transportation is high on the list of amenities that companies in the tech field crave. I'm sure it's a tool for recruitment of the millennium crowd. If just one percent of the metro area moved inside the city limits, that would be a gain of 60,000 people. Of course that may be wishful thinking but if the branding continues to improve then it's not that far-fetched. This bodes well for all of the many highrise apartment buildings that are currently rising or proposed. Now we may have many more people working intown who actually LIVE intown too. 

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2014/11/sandy-springs-based-worldpay-could-relocate-hq-to.html  

• 3 weeks later...

NEW APPLICATION: Alta at the Park (12th Street near Piedmont Avenue)

Project Type: A new 22-story residential tower with 220 apartments above six levels of podium parking. The main entrance will be located on 12th Street with a secondary entrance on Dickson Place. The project is being developed by Wood Partners and Paradigm Engineering.

Looks like Wood Partners is getting something lined up  for after 33 Peachtree Place. Nice to see a podium!

Speaking of 33 Peachtree place, the precast parking deck is rising, and the tower crane base is in. I would expect to see it start to rise quickly when the crane is installed-- Precast deck panels can go up fast!

811 Peachtree has filed for a foundation construction permit and a permit for the parking deck portion... good sign! I'm really excited about this one. 

Apparently it will be called "Eviva". Appears to be the name of some of Intregal's apartments nationwide. 

New renderings:

http://perkinswill.com/work/eviva-peachtree

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In other news, in this week's DRC meeting, a new hotel is up for discussion. It is to be an 18 story (10 hotel, 8 parking) Hampton Inn, and is located on the southeast corner of 15th and west Peachtree. 

This is the same block as the possible 98th 14th street development, and is diagonally across the intersection from the proposed AMLI tower. 

NCR Corp. relocating to Midtown, bringing 3,500 to 4,000 jobs

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2015/01/ncr-corp-relocating-to-midtown-bringing-3-500-to-4.html

Almost six years after moving its headquarters from Ohio to Georgia, financial technology company NCR Corp. is relocating again, this time to Midtown, bringing up to 3,500 to 4,000 jobs into the city.

The new campus in Midtown Atlanta will be ready in late 2017 or early 2018. The current site plan calls for a mix of 8- to 10-story buildings with up to 1.5 million square feet of office, hotel and potentially retail space to serve the city's booming startup community around Georgia Tech.

Edited by Martinman

In other news, in this week's DRC meeting, a new hotel is up for discussion. It is to be an 18 story (10 hotel, 8 parking) Hampton Inn, and is located on the southeast corner of 15th and west Peachtree. 

This is the same block as the possible 98th 14th street development, and is diagonally across the intersection from the proposed AMLI tower. 

They could make the deck less obvious, but I don't hate it. That's ALOT of density on a very small piece of land!

hampton-inn-.jpg

This is HUGE for Midtown! I also commend NCR in opting for density over height at this location...awesome!

It really does add some meat to the bones of the idea of Midtown as a Tech hub.  To this point, its been start-ups, mostly small (but growing) companies and future plans that have created this new facet in Midtown's economic development. 

The Business Chronicle also has a story about another tech-related company that may anchor the office space at the planned High Performance computing center.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2015/01/tech-focussed-company-eyes-midtown-atlanta-for.html

This is wonderful news. NCR will build their urban campus on an existing parking lot at Tech Square. From a density standpoint, you can't be more thrilled with them for choosing to locate in Tech Square. The photo below shows the 4 acre site in between University House and the Tech Square tower. 

10933769_10101536226062507_1517422493961

Photo courtesy of Shivtim on Skyscraperpage.com

I agree with Krazeeboi. I am glad that NCR is proposing to build a series of 8-10 story buildings to cover the entire 4 acre site rather than one tall building. No more anti-urban parking lot. This will go a long way in improving the urban feel of this particular area. With this many jobs being located in the city, this should also jump start many of the proposed residential towers in the area.  

While I'm in Midtown....

782 Peachtree Street is in full swing as tower cranes help in the construction.

oKijgz.png

AND

33 Peachtree Place.....

BiAhGg.png

Edited by Lady Celeste

They could make the deck less obvious, but I don't hate it. That's ALOT of density on a very small piece of land!

hampton-inn-.jpg

They are going to fit that hotel on this small lot....

QyLhLr.png

This proposal is catty-corner from the proposed Amli Arts Center apartment tower and across 15th Street from the Arts Center MARTA station. While the integrated parking deck needs a little more work, I think it is a decent proposal. The more density, the better. 

Atlantic House...or Skyhouse 4...is set to break ground Jan. 30th. 

Screen-Shot-2015-01-21-at-10.13.52-AM-45

Novare Group has scheduled a ground breaking ceremony for January 30th at 1163 W. Peachtree in Midtown. This will be the site of the fourth apartment tower of the Skyhouse brand in the Atlanta market. Rising 32 stories, the building will have design features reminiscent of One Atlantic Center directly across 14th Street. The building will be called Atlantic House and will feature 400 apartments and 11,500 square feet of retail space on the ground floor. The naming of this building is a slight departure from the standard Skyhouse [insert name] format of other projects. I'm assuming that the naming of this project is a play off the names of the buildings on the northeast and northwest corners of the intersection of 14th Street.

It's good to see this development move forward. With 5000+ jobs being relocated to the Midtown district from the suburbs (NCR and WorldPay), these new units will be greatly needed.

• Like 2

I agree with Krazeeboi. I am glad that NCR is proposing to build a series of 8-10 story buildings to cover the entire 4 acre site rather than one tall building. No more anti-urban parking lot. This will go a long way in improving the urban feel of this particular area. With this many jobs being located in the city, this should also jump start many of the proposed residential towers in the area.  

I"m not sure if we know exactly what NCR has planned.  The 8 -10 story buildings was the site plan before NCR bought it and they may use that plan.  But I will go out on a limb and predict that it will be something slightly taller.  Nothing really tall but something taller than 10 stories.  There was also talk of plans for a hotel on the site and the developer was said to have an agreement with a hotel flag.   I assume those plans are now dead.