Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Construction within one square mile of Midtown 

I wanted to put into perspective the volume of construction going on in just a small area. I'm not adding proposals. I chose a > square mile area bound by 14th Street to the north and 4th St to the south and Williams Street to the west and Piedmont Avenue to the east. 

Awesome development tour LC.  There is an updated rendering of Azure.  I'm still disappointed in their treatment along Piedmont however. 

5bgqJO.png

• 4 weeks later...

So we now have pictures of Related Group's new apartment tower. It has gone through the permitting process and is only waiting for site development and county waste approval. Hopefully this one can start right away. It is located across the street from Novare's 32-story Atlantic House that is currently under construction. I can watch its construction using the Atlantic House webcam. I'm not blown away by the architecture but I am thrilled by the height AND the added density it will bring. There will be 390 upscale units. This will be replete with a 70,000 sq ft flagship Whole Foods. This will definitely be a boost to the central Midtown area. 

14th-street-phase-i-rendering-6-29-15.jp

Read more here: 

Yikes...that picture is humongous. My apologies.  

Edited by Lady Celeste
Permitting clarification
  • Like 1

I'm a little disappointed that they chose SRSSA to design the tower.  Not that SRSSA doesn't have some lookers in their portfolio but they seem to excel with office buildings and they have already designed so much of what is built in Atlanta.  I was hoping for something with a bit more "pizzazz" from Related's first Atlanta project.  I do like the project though.  Here is another rendering of the Whole Foods.  It looks  a little better than the original rendering but I still think the 14th street facade is a little boring. 

whole-foods-market14th-streetrendering06

• Like 2

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2015/07/ncr-corp-s-22-story-midtown-headquarters-unveiled.html

NCR Corp. will occupy a 22-story Midtown headquarters that also features a four-level transparent glass building where employees, Georgia Tech students and professors can gather and collaborate.

Known as the Spring Street Building, it's intended as the heart of the project, a place to build connections in Technology Square, one of the nation’s fastest-growing innovation districts where Georgia Tech is the biggest catalyst for investment and development.

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the building based on these. I was expecting more (or at least something different from Terminus)... but hopefully better renderings/the real thing will look nicer. I will give them the fact that the parking is very well integrated. 

ncr2.png 

ncr5.png

ncr6.png

• Like 1

Re: The NCR HQ Proposal

I am going to try to remain positive in regards to this proposal. Quite frankly I think the design is not awe inspiring. It's definitely not iconic. It's a s if Duda Paine took a left over building from Cousins' Terminus complex in Buckhead and plopped it down in Midtown. I don't mind the height as much as the design. Why not just add something unique to the top? Even if it was a 30 foot high clear block of glass to mimic a melting ice cube that glows at night.

BUT....

When viewed in the positive: 

• It is a F500 company locating its HQ right in the heart of the city. It is also bringing up to 4,000 jobs with it. This will mean more people to fill the plethora of 20-40 story apartment towers going up in the vicinity.
  • This proposal has a scheduled ground breaking for December. I loathe those proposals that only break ground after been first present two years prior. It will also take away a vacant lot. Plus this is only phase one.
  • This new building will be across 8th Street from the recently completed 19-story University House and the 29-story Modera Midtown apartment tower which is currently under construction. It is also in the same block as the recently completed 24-story Tech Square tower. This area will be transformed within a matter of 1.5 years as opposed to five years. That's pretty amazing.
  • With this 27-story office tower being positioned right next to the Downtown Connector, as plain as it may be, it will make an impact. It definitely won't be skyline changing. 

Perhaps when viewed in the context of the actual skyline, it might actually be really neat. Right now....not so much.

I thought "Terminus III" the moment I saw the rendering as well. "Landmark" was a pretty egregious statement in light of the fact that, given that it isn't very tall, it isn't very original looking. Something along the lines of 1180 Peachtree was more what I personally was hoping for: narrow, understated, but with a bit of flair at the top. I guess I can't be too disappointed though, for all the reasons Lady Celeste outlined above. Between this and the Tech Tower (whatever its proper name is), the whole Tech Square sub-skyline will be a lot more light-blue and glassy in a couple of years hence. And a whole lot more vibrant to boot!

• Like 1

The other developments that were presented last night:

1270 Spring Street

Spring Street and 16th Street Atlanta, GA 30309
256 residential units, 13,500sf retail, 2,500sf active use

1270_spring.jpg

1400 West Peachtree Street

1400 West Peachtree Street Atlanta, GA 30309
356 residential units, 150 hotel rooms, 3,000 - 5,000sf retail

1400-w-peachtree.jpg

Definitely hope they refine 1270 spring a bit-- the dark at the bottom is just weird. 1400 West Peachtree is fine-- a lot of density for an area that needs it. 

• Like 1

An employee of NCR, who goes by the name of GeorgiaPeanuts on another forum, posted some more pictures of the proposed NCR HQ building in Midtown. Although I wish the building was taller, these pictures go a long way in warming me up to this proposal. 

Look at the street presence from Spring Street at 8th Street: 

The Spring Street Building's glass is designed to be transparent on every floor so people passing by can see the activity inside — and want to be part of it. "It will be like an urban living room, where the company plans to invite everyone in Tech Square to come and be part of what it is doing," McColl said. “NCR wants to take the intellectual capacity of Tech Square, and of Georgia Tech students and professors, and create an active, collaborative environment,” said John McColl, an executive vice president with Cousins Properties Inc. 

ZtZt5KV.jpg  

kSCFz3E.jpg

siwZpxZ.png

As viewed from the Downtown Connector:

aI3Opmc.png

Other views:

BQYvsGc.png

ysaWk50.jpg

Just FYI: The grassy portion of the lot will be Phase II of the NCR corporate campus. Someone who attended the DRC meeting said the architects stated that the building would have the height presence equivalent to a 28 story building. That puts us in the 400' range. Atlanta's top 10 tallest buildings are all above 650' so this will not be iconic. To be iconic in Atlanta, you would need a really impressive design, an impressive crown or be above at least 700'.  I don't even know why Cousins would make such an initial proclamation. However, if it does rise to 400', it will appear sizable located right along the Downtown Connector.    

Again, I am not floored by the design. I am happy that it will at least start construction in December of this year. Throw in the proposed 750,000 sq ft, mixed-use High Performance Computing Center at Tech Square a few blocks south on Spring Street and there will be a nice concentration of technology and innovation. It could be worse. We could still have a parking lot. Instead we will have a F500 technology company that is bullish on encouraging more tech companies to set up shop right in the heart of Midtown. Now GA Tech grads can stay in the city and invent new technologies to employ even more people.  

Clearly we are in a different development stage this development cycle. This cycle is more about infill and street presence...and that's a good thing.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I anxiously await the announcement. There is just so much going on within the city limits of Atlanta from economic announcements to development/construction that it can become a full time job just keeping up with it all.

And here it finally is at the next DRC meeting! What a boom Midtown is having...

• FOLLOW-UP: Whole Foods – Related Development
    Project Type: Planned as the second phase of Related’s mixed-used development on the block bound by Spring, 14th, West Peachtree and 13th Streets, this project consists of a new organic grocery store, brew pub and cooking school. The building will consist of two levels of retail (approx. 72,000 sf) above three levels of parking (286 spaces). Access to the parking will be provided off Spring and 13th Streets.
    Applicant(s): Rob French, [email protected]
    Emmy Montanye, [email protected]

• FOLLOW-UP: Dual-Brand Hotel (AC Hotel/ Moxy Hotel) – Noble Investment Group
    Project Type: New construction of a dual-brand hotel located on a mid-block site between 13th and 14th Streets. The project will include approximately 300 hotel rooms and 300 parking spaces, a portion of which (+/- 130 spaces) will be allocated for public use. There will be a publically accessible pedestrian connection running along the western edge of the property.
    Applicant(s): Jessica L. Hill, [email protected]
    Manny Dominguez, [email protected]

• NEW APPLICATION: Peachtree Street at 7th Street – Hanover
    Project Type: New mixed use project located at the NE corner of Peachtree and 7th Street. The project will include 11,220 sf of ground floor retail, 350 residential units and 43,025 sf of office uses in a 28 story building. A shared parking deck will provide 535 parking spaces for the project.
    Applicant(s): Jessica L. Hill, [email protected]
    Adam Harbin, [email protected]

• NEW APPLICATION: Juniper at 5th Street – Southeast Capital Companies (SEC)
    Project Type: New six story midrise multifamily residential on 1.8 acre property located on Juniper Street, between 4th and 5th Streets. The project will have 158 one and two bedroom units and 272 parking spaces accommodated in a two level parking deck. Other functional and amenity areas will include a pool, a social-amenity space with a gym, a social-amenity space with roof terrace on level six, and a ground floor entrance lobby with leasing office located on Juniper Street. The Midtown SPI-16 and Piedmont SPI-17 Development Review Committees (DRC) are the City of Atlanta's advisory committees providing formal recommendations to the Bureau of Planning on all Special Administrative Permit (SAP) Applications within both zoning districts.
    Applicants(s): Tom Dalia, [email protected]
    Kim Robinson, [email protected]

• NEW APPLICATION: Peachtree at 3rd Street – JPX Works
    Project Type: The proposed Peachtree and 3rd project will be located on a 0.31 acre site bordered by 3rd Street, Peachtree Street, Hotel Indigo and an alley. The project scope includes the development of a 24 story residential building with approximately 150 units, approximately 4,000 sf of ground level retail and 189 parking spaces shared with the adjacent property to the east.
    Applicant(s): Matt Vyverberg, [email protected]
    Shannon Skinner, [email protected]

• NEW APPLICATION: 715 Peachtree Street – Carter
    Project Type: Renovations to existing office building located at the NE corner of Peachtree and 3rd Street.
    Applicant(s): Matt Delicata, [email protected]

• 1 month later...

New renderings of the NCR headquarters:

http://business.blog.myajc.com/2015/11/05/heres-a-new-look-at-the-planned-ncr-hq-in-midtown-atlanta/

ncr_headquarters_rendering_1.jpg

ncr_headquarters_rendering_2.jpg

This looks much better than their initial model... I really like this. The added detail looks great!

Edit: A video fly through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04JNp9OBRhQ

Edited by Kh9142

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Midtown Alliance 2015 development recap lists 16 active development projects currently underway in Midtown.  They are counting the NCR headquarters which has held the groundbreaking ceremony but actual construction will not begin until Jan 6.  In total, the 16 projects will add 4,000+ residential units, 500,000+ SF of office space, and 100,000 SF of retail space to Midtown.  Based on permit activity, there should be a few more groundbreakings in early 2016.

construction-in-midtown.jpg

http://www.midtownatl.com/about/midtown-alliance/newsroom/midtown-monthly/december-2015/2015-development-recap

Edited by Martinman

Thanks for the updates Martinman.

One doesn't really appreciate the volume of construction going on in Midtown until you have been away for many months and then return. I was last in Atlanta for Thanksgiving. I was really impressed by how much the Midtown skyline has changed in just a few months. While most of the new construction is "short" in comparison to the highrise explosion of the late 80s/ early 90s, I am pleased to see the level of residential construction going on. 

I'll be back in Atlanta during the New Year's weekend. Hopefully the weather will be agreeable so I can take some time to explore the fast growing Midtown neighborhood. I look forward to following the rise of the NCR HQ, Amli Arts Center and 22 14th Street. 

On 12/19/2015 at 7:10 PM, Lady Celeste said:

Thanks for the updates Martinman.

One doesn't really appreciate the volume of construction going on in Midtown until you have been away for many months and then return. I was last in Atlanta for Thanksgiving. I was really impressed by how much the Midtown skyline has changed in just a few months. While most of the new construction is "short" in comparison to the highrise explosion of the late 80s/ early 90s, I am pleased to see the level of residential construction going on. 

I'll be back in Atlanta during the New Year's weekend. Hopefully the weather will be agreeable so I can take some time to explore the fast growing Midtown neighborhood. I look forward to following the rise of the NCR HQ, Amli Arts Center and 22 14th Street. 

True.  This cycle has not yielded a lot of skyline changers in Midtown but the infill and added density is much needed.  It's really changing the feel of the neighborhood in several areas.  As far as the skyline, I think the biggest  impact will come around 14th street with 22 14th Street and Atlantic House right across the street from each other at 38 and 32 stories plus Amli Arts Center and the Hampton Inn both on 15th street adding to that cluster. The Hampton Inn has filed some permits so it should get going next year. 

• Like 1

To the list of skyline changers, I would add Post Millenium. It's fairly tall (looks to be 300 feet or more from the renderings) and will be right on top of a hill, plus it's in a location that is currently populated by shorter structures. It'll have some visibility from the east, particularly out on Ponce, but the impact when viewed from the west will be quite substantial in terms of adding visual depth.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2015 at 7:59 AM, south park county said:

To the list of skyline changers, I would add Post Millenium. It's fairly tall (looks to be 300 feet or more from the renderings) and will be right on top of a hill, plus it's in a location that is currently populated by shorter structures. It'll have some visibility from the east, particularly out on Ponce, but the impact when viewed from the west will be quite substantial in terms of adding visual depth.

This is true.  Even the first Skyhouse made a big impact from the west because there wasn't much taller than 5 stories in Midtown west of Peachtree between 14th and 10th.  It's nice to see infill happening throughout Midtown instead of being concentrated on Peachtree. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The infill construction in Midtown Atlanta is in full swing....

23826205393_f65e16b7f6_b.jpg

Photo courtesy of Ant131531

From left to right:

Yellow crane: the 32-story Atlantic House 407 units 11,500 sq ft retail

Blue cranes: the 6-story 1010 West Peachtree 328 units 13,000 sq ft retail

Black crane: the 23-story Post Millennium Midtown 327 units 

Red crane: the 20-story 60 11th Street 319 units 14,000 sq ft retail

This hasn't been mentioned on this forum but I think it has the potential to be THE biggest project in Midtown in a long time. Fresh off of stabilizing Atlantic Station and opening the highly popular Avalon in Alpharetta,  North American Properties has purchased Colony Square with plans to completely re-imagine the 140,000 SF of retail space including removing the roof.  With all  of the wasted space on that block, they could easily add quite a bit of additional retail space.   I cannot wait to see what they come up with. 

The "mall" in all it's 70's glory which today functions as an over-sized food court.  It's been remodeled since the 70's but still...

ColonyPlaza_FoodCourt-2.jpg

Edited by Martinman