Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Developers of this glamorous 24-story beauty, slated for the corner of Peachtree and Third, have filed for both demolition and land disturbance permits from the City of Atlanta. JPX Works is bullish on the Midtown market and they are pushing forward for a quick start. This unique offering will be a great addition to that block of Peachtree Street. I think it will compliment the historic Fox Theater very nicely. . 

untitled.png

• Like 1

Heavy equipment has been seen on the site of Related Group's proposed apartment tower currently known as 22 14th St. The development will also include a 70,000+ sq ft flagship Whole Foods. The apartment tower will be across West Peachtree Street from Novare Group's 32 story apartment tower which is currently under construction. This will be great infill and added amenities to the north Midtown community. Soon you will not be able to easily see the Atlantic House from the Downtown Connector. 

087f7dcf4b190d9c475efb6815f2c97f.png

Edited by Lady Celeste

I saw some guys at the site yesterday and today that big machine showed up.  I am excited to see this one get under way because Midtown desperately needs more grocery options.  The Publix on Spring st, Trader Joes's on Monroe and the WF on Ponce are all extremely busy most of the time.  I hope that another grocer such as Sprouts or Fresh Market will look into opening a store in one of the forthcoming developments as well.   The more options the better.

Edited by Martinman
  • Like 1

Another construction picture....

The recently completed University House looms over the construction site of the 29-story Modera Midtown apartment tower currently under construction. Across 8th Street (to the right) is the construction site for the future World HQ of NCR Corp.

X3ItKrp.jpg

Photo courtesy of [email protected]

The image below shows what both the Modera Midtown and NCR HQ will look like once completed.

ncr_headquarters_rendering_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In permitting news......

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdnassets.hw.net%2Fd1%

Developers of 880 West Peachtree Street has filed for Land Development Permit and demo permit for the four story office building currently on the site today.

Also, a lot consolidation permit has been filed for Hanover Midtown located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Peachtree Street and 7th Street. 

Hanover Co. proposes a 28-story 300-unit apartment.

Dewberry filed plans with the city for his Midtown Campanile Building addition. 

Last month, Dewberry Capital met with the Midtown Development Review Committee, where it presented an expansion to the 21-story Campanile building that includes 150,000 square feet of new office space and 77,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and office space along Peachtree, 14th, 13th and Juniper streets.

The project would require complex engineering to add six floors of office space to the top of the existing building.

Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart - Architecture is designing the expansion. Long Engineering is also working on the project.

More photos from the Dewberry's proposal to add six floors to the Campanile Building.

campanile-2.png

screen-shot-2016-03-01-at-15249-pm.png

campanile-11.png

campanile-5.png

campanile-3.png

campanile-10.png

campanile-6.png

campanile-4.png

This definitely will be a welcomed addition to that intersection as well as the Midtown community as a whole.

I really hope this happens.  This plus Colony Square will immediately remedy Midtown's lack of retail critical mass.  This is such an exciting time for Midtown and it sometimes feels like a giant construction site with the constant sounds of construction and ever-present cement and dump trucks.  

I hope it happens too Martinman. This will be amazing for the 1000s of housing units being delivered in the Midtown submarket and the people who will live in them. The last time I remember this volume of construction and changes to the skyline happened in the late 80's and early 90's when the likes of the BOA Tower, SunTrust and One Atlantic Center were built. As a young girl, I didn't understand the magnitude of the changes Atlanta was going through then. Now I am loving the quick speed at which Midtown is growing in density. 

Boy it's been a lot of years since I was here... This forum used to be hopping... It seems so quiet now, even though Atlanta development is more exciting than ever. All these new proposals are really destroying those parking lots fast.

By the way, has Lady Celeste left Atlanta?? She speaks of it as though she is elsewhere now...

3 hours ago, Unifour said:

Boy it's been a lot of years since I was here... This forum used to be hopping... It seems so quiet now, even though Atlanta development is more exciting than ever. All these new proposals are really destroying those parking lots fast.

By the way, has Lady Celeste left Atlanta?? She speaks of it as though she is elsewhere now...

Hi Unifour,

Although I still maintain a residence there, I no longer live full time in Atlanta. I'm across the Potomac from our nation's capital in NOVA.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:45 AM, Lady Celeste said:

Hi Unifour,

Although I still maintain a residence there, I no longer live full time in Atlanta. I'm across the Potomac from our nation's capital in NOVA.

Thank you for responding. I did not intend to be nosy. It's just that I remember you so well from years ago. You were a prolific poster here in the Atlanta forums. It's such a same to see the forum a graveyard now. I used to have so much fun here and I learned so much about Atlanta. I intend to move to Atlanta eventually and invest in real estate so I participate in all the online forums regarding Atlanta. I was born in Va. and am very familiar with Nova. I hope you enjoy living there.

On 3/5/2016 at 7:42 AM, Unifour said:

Thank you for responding. I did not intend to be nosy. It's just that I remember you so well from years ago. You were a prolific poster here in the Atlanta forums. It's such a same to see the forum a graveyard now. I used to have so much fun here and I learned so much about Atlanta. I intend to move to Atlanta eventually and invest in real estate so I participate in all the online forums regarding Atlanta. I was born in Va. and am very familiar with Nova. I hope you enjoy living there.

No, no, no Unifour, you were not being nosy. I allude to the move often in my post. I miss Atlanta but I am really enjoying NOVA. It is so interesting watching how the Silver Line is transforming Loudoun County right before my eyes. The population in the area is very educated, diverse and affluent. 

As far as the forum, I am baffled as to why it's so quiet, I agree that it's a shame considering the volume of development going on right now. I can only surmise that the 6+ buildings of 19 to 35 story buildings going up in Midtown alone is just not exciting enough to those who were once spoiled by countless 500 footers going up. To me, the increasing density of the city is just as exciting as when I watched the 800 footers rise as a young girl. 

Just this week, Sandy Springs based Global Payments, a F1000 company, has announced plans to move their HQ to Midtown. While not a new company to the metro area, the move definitely helps answers who will fill the thousands of apartments currently under construction in the sub-market. They are looking for 200,000 sq ft of office space. In other news, a major Midtown law firm has put out fillers for 150,000 to 180,000 sq ft. They are very interested in NEW CONSTRUCTION. So this could be another tower to sprout in the Midtown market.

All in all, there is a lot going on. It's hard keeping up with everything. It definitely takes more than two to three people. 

Before I post, let me include this photo from yesterday of the growing Midtown skyline overlooking Piedmont Park:

1457271341513303163119.jpg

Photo courtesy of Franster

On 3/2/2016 at 7:50 PM, Lady Celeste said:

I hope it happens too Martinman. This will be amazing for the 1000s of housing units being delivered in the Midtown submarket and the people who will live in them. The last time I remember this volume of construction and changes to the skyline happened in the late 80's and early 90's when the likes of the BOA Tower, SunTrust and One Atlantic Center were built. As a young girl, I didn't understand the magnitude of the changes Atlanta was going through then. Now I am loving the quick speed at which Midtown is growing in density. 

Its very likely that Midtown will have added 20+ towers in 5 years,  from 2013 (when the first Skyhouse was completed) to 2018 (when towers that start this year would be completed) - 5 are already completed, 11 are under construction, 6 more have submitted permits.  There might not be any really tall buildings going up (yet), but the sheer volume of development will have a big impact the skyline. 

.Sometimes I wish I lived in another city like you, so that I could come back and get the full impact of the changes in the neighborhood.  You don't really get that when you watch the projects as they rise.  

• Like 1

Two major projects on the agenda for Midtown DRC committee.  One of the projects called The Standard is a new student oriented apartment tower.  

NEW APPLICATION: High Performance Computing Center
Project Type: Mixed-use development located on east side of Spring Street, between Armstead Place
and 4th Street. The project includes approx. 620,000 SF of office, 46,500 SF of streetlevel
retail, 100,000 SF data center and 600 parking spaces below grade.
Applicant(s): Emmy Montanye, [email protected]
Pierluca Maffey, [email protected]

NEW APPLICATION: The Standard
Project Type: Mixed use project located on the southwest corner of Spring Street and 4th Street. The
19-story project includes 280 furnished residential units for students and 9,600 SF of
commercial space at the street-level. Parking is provided in a 10-story precast parking
deck that is wrapped with residential units on the street-fronting façades.
Applicant(s): Mohamed Mohsen, [email protected]

On 3/8/2016 at 2:15 PM, Martinman said:

NEW APPLICATION: The Standard
Project Type: Mixed use project located on the southwest corner of Spring Street and 4th Street. The
19-story project includes 280 furnished residential units for students and 9,600 SF of
commercial space at the street-level. Parking is provided in a 10-story precast parking
deck that is wrapped with residential units on the street-fronting façades.
Applicant(s): Mohamed Mohsen, [email protected]

Just one day after presenting their 19-story proposal before the Midtown DRC, Landmark Properties and Selig Enterprises releases renderings:

the-standard-copy.jpg

the-standard-4-copy.jpg

the-standard-2-copy.jpg

The development group wants to start construction THIS SUMMER. This is marketed as student housing and is geared towards GA Tech. Located on Spring Street between 3rd and 4th Streets, the building will be across the intersection for yet another proposal for a 21 story office building. There will be 280 furnished residential units and 11,200 square feet of commercial space.

Visual evidence of Midtown's changing skyline.....

Ca9HtOEW0AA4CkH.jpg:large

This is a photograph from last month of the ongoing construction in the Midtown submarket. Cranes from left to right: Alta Midtown, Hanover Midtown and Post Millennium. Although not in, if you look in the distance (next to the Alta Midtown crane) you will see the numerous cranes for the new Mercedes Benz Stadium.

oUgbj9L.jpg?1

This photo shows the construction site of the new HQ for NCR. Just across 8th Street is the construction site for Modera Midtown. It looks like one big construction site but it's actually two sites. 

uKKgdbqh.jpg

Above: 60 11th Street topped off. The crane will be coming down soon.

JjnfLNjh.jpg

Above: Atlantic House.....

yNZX6dih.jpg

Above: Yoo on the Park....

uCI05Slh.jpg

Above: Azure on the Park....

Edited by Lady Celeste
  • Like 2

I think Museum Place looks nice as well. The scale fits in nice with the surroundings. Being right across the street from the High Museum of Art will lend these an air of sophistication. Perhaps that's why sales of the condos have been so brisk...in spite of their $700k entry point. Many have already sold. If I'm not mistaken, the portion on the right is sold out. The only available units are in the portion to the left.