Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I am really liking the proposed remodel of Colony Square. This will do wonders for that stretch of Peachtree Street. The additional retail and the heavy concentration will give this block a sense of place. I don't want to start guessing about what type of retail store will go into the two story glass space at the corner of Peachtree and 15th Streets. It's funny to think that Colony Square was a groundbreaking development when it first opened. This was Atlanta's first mixed-use development if my memory serves me correctly.  

Regarding the 98 14th Street development:

I'm wondering which hotel flag will fill the lower portion of Tower C. The New York developers have great connections so the two brands that come to mind for me are Shangri-La and Waldorf Astoria. If they are aiming for a Six Star (Five Star S), new-to-market hotels, those two brands would be on the list. We already have a St. Regis, Mandarin Oriental, Solis and Four Seasons. Maybe a Conrad? Hilton has a large presence in the Atlanta market so it would make sense. I guess we will have more answers in June.

@Emund: I'm not so sure that the three tower format has been abandoned. What I could gather from the article is that the developers were going with Tower C first...which technically wouldn't that make it Tower A? Also, Wood Properties bought in to the project and will be developers of note of the smallest tower (the one closest to 15th Street)...unless that has also changed.  

Yoo on the Park has topped out. 

CjQUZJIWkAAST_9.jpg:large

At 25 stories, Yoo on the Park just sort of blends in to its surroundings. It's great infill all the same...I suppose. No one will complain about the added density. With the re-purposing of Colony Square (complex on the far right) and the Whole Foods (currently under construction at 14th St and Spring), the residents in the area will have a plethora of added benefits. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very solid proposal. SLS is yet another new-to-market hotel brand. I'm sure there will be another new-to-market hotel announced a few blocks away from this proposal in the not too distant future. I am glad to see that the 50 story Yoo on Peachtree in the second rendering. It has been quiet of late although Trillist is still marketing the building. The SLS proposal should be on the July Agenda for the Midtown DRC. I look forward to learning more about this exciting project. The developers want to start construction in Q1 of 2017 with a mid 2019 completion date. I am liking the architecture. It's in contrast to many of the taller post modern towers in the immediate area. I am also glad to see that this will have condos as opposed to apartments. 

In another bit of hotel development news, the Business Chronicle reports that the developers of 98 14th street are attempting to woo Trump hotels (among others)  to be the hotel flag of the 70-story tower.  The project will get a new design from Perkins & Will and could go before the Midtown DRC as early as July. 

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, Martinman said:

In another bit of hotel development news, the Business Chronicle reports that the developers of 98 14th street are attempting to woo Trump hotels (among others)  to be the hotel flag of the 70-story tower.  The project will get a new design from Perkins & Will and could go before the Midtown DRC as early as July. 

No comment about the wooing of Trump hotels. It has nothing to do with politics but rather execution of the building.

I hope the condos planned for this building offers decent square footage. That will make it more plausible for families. If done properly, this project could really woo potential condo buyers who may have only considered highrises in Buckhead. At the height that this is proposed, I hope the design is flattering to the skyline. Something along the Oriental Fisherman's Wharf (done by P+W) in Shanghai would be a nice option.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:36 PM, Lady Celeste said:

This is a very solid proposal. SLS is yet another new-to-market hotel brand. I'm sure there will be another new-to-market hotel announced a few blocks away from this proposal in the not too distant future. I am glad to see that the 50 story Yoo on Peachtree in the second rendering. It has been quiet of late although Trillist is still marketing the building. The SLS proposal should be on the July Agenda for the Midtown DRC. I look forward to learning more about this exciting project. The developers want to start construction in Q1 of 2017 with a mid 2019 completion date. I am liking the architecture. It's in contrast to many of the taller post modern towers in the immediate area. I am also glad to see that this will have condos as opposed to apartments. 

Do you have insider knowledge on another hotel proposal soon because that's kind of what it sounds like? It sounds like you're not referring to 98 14th street either.

• 2 weeks later...

No...no no no...no insider information.I just know that a super luxury hotel was looking for a Midtown location and it is not the rumored Trump Hotel and Residences. Perhaps this particular flag decided against a Midtown location. I think it would be a great location as Buckhead is well represented with super luxury hotels (St. Regis, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental and JW Marriott). 

Now I'll share your picture you posted elsewhere....

Looking south over Central and Lower Midtown...

13531821_1648960058760295_414596733_n.jp

Demo started on brick store fronts facing 1123 Spring Street in prep for new MOB building - Northside Hospital.

I have attached before picture of the brick buildings on Spring and 13th St that have recently met the wreaking ball.

Demo seems to be 60-70% complete.

Sorry, I have no after pic.

Spring_and_13th.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

98 14th Street 

The latest insider info on the redesign of the project is that it has been reduced from 3 towers to just 2.  The new Perkins & Will version of the project is said to be two 70 - story towers with a decorative top.  This appears to be Atlanta's best chance at getting a "skyline" tower this cycle and it would apparently be very tall. 

Edited by Martinman

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:39 PM, atlnative said:

Demo started on brick store fronts facing 1123 Spring Street in prep for new MOB building - Northside Hospital.

I have attached before picture of the brick buildings on Spring and 13th St that have recently met the wreaking ball.

Demo seems to be 60-70% complete.

Sorry, I have no after pic.

Spring_and_13th.JPG

Thank you for the update Atlnative. Please keep us posted.

When first proposed, the Medical Office Building seemed like a slap in the face to this increasing vibrant part of Midtown. The initial parking garage podium was atrocious. But now that the developers have revamped the design, I think this will be a nice addition to the neighboring Atlantic House and Midtown Spring residential towers currently under construction. The fact that the 10 story building will now also include retail and restaurant space is a definite bonus. Now if we could get something done with the Skyhouse Midtown's parking garage on Spring.

11 hours ago, Martinman said:

98 14th Street 

The latest insider info on the redesign of the project is that it has been reduced from 3 towers to just 2.  The new Perkins & Will version of the project is said to be two 70 - story towers with a decorative top.  This appears to be Atlanta's best chance at getting a "skyline" tower this cycle and it would apparently be very tall. 

I have heard this information as well Martinman. The decorative top was mentioned when I inquired about how a 70 story building could reach such heights. (If all goes well, these towers could be a new second tallest). One thing we do know and that is these towers, if built, will be very tall.

DRC scheduled agenda for Tuesday 12 July 2016:

5:00 NEW APPLICATION: 98 Fourteenth Street NE, OHM Atlanta, LLC

Project Type: Initial phase of master planned development approved in April 2014 introducing a single Residential Tower comprised of 382 luxury residential units, 180 corporate suites, 60,370 SF of retail, and 825 structured parking spaces.
Applicant(s): Tara Flache, [email protected]

6:15 NEW APPLICATION: SLS Atlanta Hotel & Residences, Trillist

Project Type: Proposed 42-story mixed-use tower and podium at the intersection of Crescent Avenue and 13th Street. The proposed project includes 56 condominium units above a 213-key hotel. The podium rises twelve levels, supporting 400 parking spaces. The main pedestrian entrance is on Crescent Avenue.
Applicant(s): Mark Valliere, [email protected]

7:00 FOLLOW-UP: 1138 Peachtree Street, Trillist

Project Type: Proposed mixed-use residential tower located mid-block with the east and west sides of the property fronting Peachtree Street and Crescent Avenue. The design features a 45-story tower fronting Peachtree Street containing 323 luxury residential apartments and 21,500 SF of retail/restaurant space. Over 600 spaces are provided in a ten-level parking deck located on the Crescent Avenue side of the property.

9 minutes ago, Martinman said:

Re: 98 14th Street

According to sources, the redesigned proposal that will go before the DRC tomorrow will be 920'.  :o

That's what I got from sources two weeks ago. That's why I said last week we could be getting a new second tallest. This will put this building at 100' taller than the neighboring One Atlantic Center. This will cap an amazing development cycle. I will also say that the likelihood of this being built is extremely high. The development team is very bullish on getting this built. I can't wait for this building to be made public tomorrow evening. Once complete, this will give Atlanta 12 buildings above 600'. 

If 920 feet is the highest occupied floor (or thereabouts), then that will give this tower the distinction of highest occupied floor in the city. A good chunk of BoA is just ornamental height. I'll be going to this afternoon's DRC meeting, and I'm incredibly excited to see the new concept. It's been over a year since we've had fresh renderings. I'll try to post pics if I can get some decent ones.

Edited by south park county

A recap of notes from last night's Midtown DRC meeting:

98 Fourteenth Street NE

Olympia Heights Management (OHM) made an initial presentation to the Development Review Committee (DRC) in April 2014 and obtained approval to move forward with site improvements for their master-planned development located at 98 Fourteenth Street, commonly referred to as the former "Symphony Site." They returned to the DRC on Tuesday, July 12th, to present plans for the first phase of the project - a 74-story tower comprised of 382 luxury residential units, 180 corporate suites, 60,370 SF of retail, and 825 structured parking spaces. When completed, the 920-foot tower would be the second tallest in the City, behind Bank of America. The project was well-received by the DRC who acknowledged its clean, modern lines, elegant proportions and timeless design. Comments from the committee focused on practical concerns such as the provision of ample stacking space for vehicles to facilitate efficient valet operations. The committee also encouraged the development team to seek out exceptional, destination-oriented restaurateurs to capitalize on the premium location and potential for unique outdoor dining within the rooftop garden directly accessed from Peachtree Street. 

SLS Atlanta Hotel & Residences

Trillist introduced a new luxury hotel project under the SLS flag at the July DRC meeting. Located at the intersection of Crescent Avenue and 13th Street, the proposed 42-story tower would contain 213 hotel rooms, 56 condo units, and 12 levels of podium parking. The DRC commended the development team for their collaborative approach in working with adjacent property owners to create a central service area that would reduce the need for curb cuts. The committee also noted the applicant’s artful approach to activating the streetscape around the base of the project, but they stressed the need to simplify the myriad opportunities for creative engagement within the pedestrian realm. Strong elements of the design included a public terrace at the hotel entrance which creates an outdoor living room and provides a buffer between the porte cochère driveway and Crescent Avenue sidewalk. The applicant requested several variations and was asked to revise them for clarity prior to receiving a formal recommendation from the DRC. 

1138 Peachtree Street

1138_crescent-view.jpg

Trillist also presented an update to their planned project at 1138 Peachtree Street, which complements their hotel/condo project across the street on the west side of Crescent Avenue. Together, the two projects reinforce Trillist’s vision for a unique pedestrian experience in the Crescent Street area and they create the opportunity for connections into a future Midtown Art Walk contemplated along the Peachtree Walk corridor. The proposed design features a 45-story residential tower fronting Peachtree Street (323 apartments) with three levels of retail at the base (21,500 SF). Retail/restaurant space would be accessed both from Peachtree Street and Crescent Avenue. Over 600 parking spaces would be provided in a ten-level deck located on the Crescent Avenue side of the property. The overall design has evolved in a positive direction since the previous version submitted in January 2014. In particular, the elevations are more refined, consistent with the sleek modernism of the proposed hotel project across the street. The committee was receptive to the upgraded finish materials on the exterior and recommended support for the project.

1053, 1057 and 1069 Juniper Street

Metrotainment Cafés returned to the DRC to present an updated demolition and redevelopment plan for the existing vacant structures located between Einstein’s and Joe’s on Juniper. The proposed concept redevelops the frontage in order to improve valet parking operations and create a privately-owned public amenity that will add to the vitality of Midtown street life. The architecture of the structure was revised to reflect comments made by the committee at the June meeting. Namely, the material palette was refined to reduce the amount of heavy timber and add more steel, consistent with an urban aesthetic. The committee requested additional detail on the overall site plan including the parking layout and the lighting and landscape plan.

Edited by Lady Celeste

This is all so exciting for Midtown and I think this next year will be huge in Midtown transitioning into an even more complete urban neighborhood with the Whole Foods and Colony Square renovation.   North American Properties  stated that they have been approached by some retailers about doing "flagship" stores at Colony Square but of course would not give names at this stage.

And in addition to this flurry of recent projects, one of the "in the know" posters hinted that another multi-tower project is in the works not far from 98 14th street.