Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I have not seen this rendering before. This looks to be a new rendering of the "John Wieland" designed tower across from the High. Looks very Manhattan-y Although I think it looks interesting and quite different than anything else Atlanta has.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=537996

Any thoughts?

Thats the preliminary rendering that won David Chipperfield the competition.

This is what's being built. One Museum place

e74868efry6.jpg

BTW the Hotel Palomar is now officially under construction.

Edited by Martinman

Thats the preliminary rendering that won David Chipperfield the competition.

This is what's being built. One Museum place

e74868efry6.jpg

I'm sorry, I just can't embrace this one. It doesn't do anything for me in its rendered form. The architect looks pretty well connected and well awarded so hopefully the finished product will be a little less austere.

I like true International-style architecture (like the Equitable building) but this one looks a bit more like the tall AT&T building to me. Maybe the goal is to reflect the architecture of Woodruff without being quite so modern as the High?

Well its hard to tell much about it since the rendering is at an angle and its practically in black and white. It looks like it may be white marble to relate to the arts center campus, with a translucent glass similar to 905 Juniper. I'm just guessing but I think its going to be stunning. One thing for sure, another AT&T tower this is not.

Edited by Martinman

Development news

-Tivoli is seeking rezoning for a ~one acre site on 13th street between Juniper and Piedmont. The plan is for a 24-story, 250 unit apartment building . The building height of 248 feet meets current zoning but the density is higher than is currently allowed for that location.

-The developer of Onyx is in some sort of legal dispute with Blue MedSpa next door. The developer is still trying to build the project though and has a new website.

-12th & Midtown update

Even more future phases

12thandmidtown4-1.jpg

Phase II rendering, 34 & 32 stories

12thandMidtown1-1.jpg

Hotel/residential tower (condo units have been reduced from 100 to 36)

12thandMidtownwholepage.jpg

Phase III, option two (I think I prefer the option one rendering for this phase)

12thandmidtown5-1.jpg

Edited by Martinman

-12th & Midtown update

Even more future phases

12thandmidtown4-1.jpg

Fascinating; have Daniel/Selig or whoever already acquired the parcels for Phases 5, 6, and 7? It's not unanticipated that the block Phase 5 would cccupy could be redeveloped, but I didn't realize they were already planning for it.

Fascinating; have Daniel/Selig or whoever already acquired the parcels for Phases 5, 6, and 7? It's not unanticipated that the block Phase 5 would cccupy could be redeveloped, but I didn't realize they were already planning for it.

Phases 1-4 are great, but don't take away all the nice restaurants and bars covered up by phase 5!

I don't know if they actually control all of it but its been rumored for some time that they would build all the way to W. Peachtree street.

Someone added some other planned projects to the image...

#1,3 & 4 are Novare

#2 is a rumored project by the developer of Aquarius

#5 is 1138 Peachtree

the Luxe site on 12th street is also partially visible

12thandmidtown4-1.jpg

I don't know if they actually control all of it but its been rumored for some time that they would build all the way to W. Peachtree street.

Someone added some other planned projects to the image...

#1,3 & 4 are Novare

#2 is a rumored project by the developer of Aquarius

#5 is 1138 Peachtree

the Luxe site on 12th street is also partially visible

Hmm... the parcel marked for Novare #1 is currently the Midtown Post Office; somewhat specialized function there that's not easily displaced.

I think 12&Mid Phase V would be challenging to design/develop considering that block is basically landlocked. It doesn't have very good access to major arteries; the north-south streets that bound it both dead-end within a block and the intersections of 12th and 13th at West P. are neither aligned well nor signalized.

I'm also not sure how you orient a development there to address what are mainly backs of buildings surrounding it. Not to mention that the coloring seems to indicate they've conceded that Vickery's and Front Page News (on Crescent) are institutions (well Vickery's anyway) and will remain. It definitely will require a creative solution.

Hmm... the parcel marked for Novare #1 is currently the Midtown Post Office; somewhat specialized function there that's not easily displaced.

I think 12&Mid Phase V would be challenging to design/develop considering that block is basically landlocked. It doesn't have very good access to major arteries; the north-south streets that bound it both dead-end within a block and the intersections of 12th and 13th at West P. are neither aligned well nor signalized.

I'm also not sure how you orient a development there to address what are mainly backs of buildings surrounding it. Not to mention that the coloring seems to indicate they've conceded that Vickery's and Front Page News (on Crescent) are institutions (well Vickery's anyway) and will remain. It definitely will require a creative solution.

I believe the property Novare owns (labeled #1) is south of the Post Office.

Phase V is planned to be residential and retail. If its the kind of neighborhood retail that already exists there, I don't see a problem. They could plan 12th street to be an intimate retail district. More Lincoln Road than Michigan Ave for example.

Edited by Martinman

^^ From the AT&T building (formerly Bellsouth) north is all Midtown. Its not just the 14th street corridor.

This fall is turning out to be pretty busy for construction activity

1075 Peachtree

some serious excavation at the site started this weekend

12thandMidtown1-1.jpg

also groundbreaking at One Museum Place is scheduled for today.

e74868efry6.jpg

Edited by Martinman