Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

^^ From the AT&T building (formerly Bellsouth) north is all Midtown. Not just the 14th street corridor.

This fall is turning out to be pretty busy for construction activity

1075 Peachtree

some serious excavation at the site started this weekend

also groundbreaking at One Museum Place is shceduled for today.

heh, 14th? I thought he meant the Peachtree corridor. Regardless, Midtown has definitely seen a lot of progress already in upgrading and filling out portions other than along Peachtree. I think the most impressive change over the last few years has been the Spring and West P. corridors between North and 10th. Before the Tech expansion/Centergy, that area was pretty bad. But with Tech/Centergy, the Bellsouth expansion, Post Biltmore, MidCity Lofts, Midtown Plaza, Aqua and the in-progress Palomar, not to mention the Blueprint Midtown streetscape improvements, it's been almost totally transformed. Still plenty that can be done though (and how long can the Cheetah hold out there?).

heh, 14th? I thought he meant the Peachtree corridor. Regardless, Midtown has definitely seen a lot of progress already in upgrading and filling out portions other than along Peachtree. I think the most impressive change over the last few years has been the Spring and West P. corridors between North and 10th. Before the Tech expansion/Centergy, that area was pretty bad. But with Tech/Centergy, the Bellsouth expansion, Post Biltmore, MidCity Lofts, Midtown Plaza, Aqua and the in-progress Palomar, not to mention the Blueprint Midtown streetscape improvements, it's been almost totally transformed. Still plenty that can be done though (and how long can the Cheetah hold out there?).

I agree. The development along Fifth St alone has done a lot for the the transformation of Midtown.

Edited by Martinman

I was indeed referring to Peachtree. I definitely know firsthand that not everything in Midtown is along Peachtree, but to me, it still gives off more of a corridor vibe than a district vibe. At any rate, the projects under construction and slated for Midtown will definitely round it out very nicely.

1010 Midtown is about to open its sales office and thus are releasing a bit more information on the 12th & Midtown project. Here are a few tidbits gained by a potential buyer.

-They are in negotiations with Apple and Louis Vuitton for retail space in phase 1 (1010).

-The hotel for Phase two will be a Loews. (This will be made public later this week)

-Phase Two will have a high-end steak house and sushi restaurant.

-Phase Four will include a store "similar to" Whole Foods and more residential

-11th Street will be aligned at Peachtree

-In phase Four/Five they plan on closing 12th from Crescent to West Peachtree, aligning it with 12th from Peachtree to Crescent and making it more of a pedestrian street with shops on either side. :good:

Also the Palomar is about ready for a crane

palomar1.jpg

Edited by Martinman

1010 Midtown is about to open its sales office and thus are releasing a bit more information on the 12th & Midtown project. Here are a few tidbits gained by a potential buyer.

-They are in negotiations with Apple and Louis Vuitton for retail space in phase 1 (1010).

-The hotel for Phase two will be a Loews. (This will be made public later this week)

-In phase Four/Five they plan on closing 12th from Crescent to West Peachtree, aligning it with 12th from Peachtree to Crescent and making it more of a pedestrian street with shops on either side. :good:

Wow, aligning streets... seems so logical. :)

Makes you wonder what someone was thinking when you look at 11th Street from West Peachtree to the park.

Wow, aligning streets... seems so logical. :)

Makes you wonder what someone was thinking when you look at 11th Street from West Peachtree to the park.

It does! I believe this area was once mostly large homes which may have something to do with how the streets didn't line up.

I was checking out the progrees on 1010 this weekend and I don't think I had appreciated the impact this and future phases will have on this area. Its like literally going from the outhouse to the penthouse. All of the recent news makes it even better.

Edited by Martinman

It does! I believe this area was once mostly large homes which may have something to do with how the streets didn't line up.

Absolutely correct - I would assume it was mostly residential or at least abandoned residential until the 1970's. Also, in several cases streets don't line up because the streets were platted by individual developers.

Good to see the 11th street alignment; that was something I wanted to do when I was imagining placing the Symphony Center on that block. Alas, they had other ideas for it. My other imaginings have a new Apple store on the 100% corner at 10th and Peachtree; that's a location that could have a flagship design to rival the 5th Ave store. Btw, does anyone know what happened with the Midtown Square(?) project that was once advertised there?

The pedestrian mall for 12th is an interesting idea, although it seems to exacerbate the access issue for their Phase V.

Atlanta to gain yet another luxury hotel brand!

As per Martinman's post above, Loew's has officially announced plans for a hotel in the 12th and Midtown development.

The New York-based luxury chain will open a hotel at 12th & Midtown, the $2 billion redevelopment project near Colony Square.

"In more than two years of market research with our guests, Atlanta was consistently among the places where our customers would most like to see a Loews Hotel," Loews CEO Jonathan Tisch said.

Loews settled on 12th & Midtown because of its "easy elegance" and its proximity to Buckhead and downtown, Tisch said.

12th & Midtown is being built in four phases. The second phase includes the new hotel, which will have 414 rooms topped by 60 condos in a 35-story, steel and glass tower. Another tower in the second phase, 38 stories, will contain office space. Both buildings will be linked by retail.

The 12th and Midtown project is adding a much needed vibrancy to an already growing area. Adding a new brand to the Atlanta hotel collection is sure to be a hit with the millions of visitors and conventioneers that visit Atlanta on a yearly basis. This will also be a nice companion to the Four Seasons and the W Hotel Colony Square, currently under going renovation steps away.

To read the full article, look here:

Luxury hotel will rise near Colony Square.

Here is a rendering of the hotel and development:

image_5840546.jpg

A rendering of the Loews Hotel and the commercial tower in phase two of the 12th & Midtown project.

Courtesy of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

You can visit Loew's Hotels at Loews Hotels

For clarification of the photo above, 1010 Midtown is the condo building to the left (currently under construction) and the new Loews and condos are in the building to the right. Peachtree Street is the street between both buildings. The newly realigned 11th Street is represented by the street going east to west.

Here is the webcam of the development:

1010 Midtown

Edited by Lady Celeste

This is great news. Midtown is distinguishing itself as a great market for new hoteliers to open. Very few markets have a Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Loews, and W all pretty much next to each other. Throw in the Hotel Palomar, and it makes for a really unique group of hotels.

^^ The top of the office building behind the hotel is barely visible from this angle as well. What a dramatic change for this section of the city.

Good to see the 11th street alignment; that was something I wanted to do when I was imagining placing the Symphony Center on that block. Alas, they had other ideas for it. My other imaginings have a new Apple store on the 100% corner at 10th and Peachtree; that's a location that could have a flagship design to rival the 5th Ave store. Btw, does anyone know what happened with the Midtown Square(?) project that was once advertised there?

The pedestrian mall for 12th is an interesting idea, although it seems to exacerbate the access issue for their Phase V.

The Arts Center seems to be focused on acquiring the rights to build over the Arts Center Station. They haven't specifically said that the proposed Symphony Center will go there but I think that's idea.

I don't think anyone knows other than the developer, Dewberry Capital, if they still plan to build Midtown Square as proposed (I really hope not). Thats probably the most valuable land in Midtown.

As for 12th street, I LOVE the idea with the key word being pedestrian. It has to be pedestrian focused due to the location and the density of residential planned and existing nearby. I envision it to be a lot like what has evolved along Crecent, mostly restaurants/ bars with a few small shops, only more urban and with a pleasant streetscape. And with future redevelopment it could extend all the way to the park. I even think its a perfect location for a specialty grocery store.

Edited by Martinman

Martinman or others,

Ideally, what would you like to see for the NE corner of 10th and Peachtree?

I personally don't have any specific wishes concerning what goes there but I'm more interested in how its developed, specifically at the street level. Assuming its a mixed use development, I'd hate to see that corner "wasted" with a big fancy office tower lobby at such a prominent location. I honestly wouldn't care if its Target or Barney's I just want retail with the highest quality of archtecture at the street level.

Edited by Martinman

Martinman or others,

Ideally, what would you like to see for the NE corner of 10th and Peachtree?

If I had my wish, Atlanta's new tallest would go on this corner. Not just some beacon to commerce but rather a mixed use masterpiece. On the western part of the parcel (the portion that directly faces Peachtree and 10th/11th) I would have this new tallest with five stories of retail (Newberry could get the mall he wanted), followed by office 35 stories of office space, 5 stories of hotel/conference space and amenities area and 34 stories of residential with a high profile restaurant topping off the building. On the eastern part of the lot (facing Juniper) he could put 2 levels of retail or some office condos with 8 levels of parking....seriously you guys didn't think I was going to leave that out, ^_^ ...which would connect to the western building via a plaza and covered walkway. On top of the parking would be 35 stories of apartments.

At the rate Mr Dewberry is going, this would be the only way to go to make the economies of the parcel work....of course I'm partially dreaming but you never know what might happen.

I haven't heard anything about the existing utility poles and electric lines... Is it safe to assume they'll bury the lines through that stretch of Peachtree??? It's hard to imagine otherwise...

Edited by designspace

If I had my wish, Atlanta's new tallest would go on this corner. Not just some beacon to commerce but rather a mixed use masterpiece. On the western part of the parcel (the portion that directly faces Peachtree and 10th/11th) I would have this new tallest with five stories of retail (Newberry could get the mall he wanted), followed by office 35 stories of office space, 5 stories of hotel/conference space and amenities area and 34 stories of residential with a high profile restaurant topping off the building. On the eastern part of the lot (facing Juniper) he could put 2 levels of retail or some office condos with 8 levels of parking....seriously you guys didn't think I was going to leave that out, ^_^ ...which would connect to the western building via a plaza and covered walkway. On top of the parking would be 35 stories of apartments.

At the rate Mr Dewberry is going, this would be the only way to go to make the economies of the parcel work....of course I'm partially dreaming but you never know what might happen.

I like the way you think LC. ;)

One thing I would change about your masterpiece is the parking. That lot is HUGE. It could easily be designed with as much parking as needed on the interior of the development and there would be no need for the towers to be over parking.

I like the way you think LC. ;)

One thing I would change about your masterpiece is the parking. That lot is HUGE. It could easily be designed with as much parking as needed on the interior of the development and there would be no need for the towers to be over parking.

I totally agree with you Martinman. All parking should be moved to the interior. It would be one big block of street level activity.

What keeps Atlanta from putting parking garages underground more often? I know there is a large underground parking garage in downtown near the government complex. Why don't we do this more often? That way we don't have to look at and it doesn't affect usable space on the building's interior either.

Even cities that have potential water table issues, such as Houston, have a significant amount of underground parking garages.

What keeps Atlanta from putting parking garages underground more often? I know there is a large underground parking garage in downtown near the government complex. Why don't we do this more often? That way we don't have to look at and it doesn't affect usable space on the building's interior either.

Even cities that have potential water table issues, such as Houston, have a significant amount of underground parking garages.

What I have learned in my so many odd years on earth....the answer always comes down to one word.

Discuss if you will....... -_-