Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Here are some pics by pilot/forumer Atlantaholic that give a birdseye view of some projects

Palomar crane on the far lower left, Viewpoint nearly topped out, and 12th & Midtown Phase I and II.

IMG_2578.jpg

The land cleared next to the connector is the DOT preperation for a massive 3-year redo of the 14th street bridge.

IMG_2574.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Driving down Peachtree in Midtown today and noticed that the one story historic strip near 10th Street (where the Indian restaurant was) looks to be facing demolition. Will 12th and Midtown go down this far?

Not 12th & Midtown, but that block is slated for a development to be called Midtown Square by Dewberry Capital. The last Midtown Alliance Development Tour update had it projected for a 2010 start of construction for a 2012 delivery.

FYI, I noticed last night Google Maps has just (in the last few days) updated their intown Atlanta satellite imagery. From the state of the various construction projects, I'd put the images at 4-6 months old. They now show Atlantic Station and the Georgia Aquarium quite well.

Since the images are from spring/summer, the city is incredibly lush and green; Piedmont Park looks infinitely better than the previous image they had, Centennial Park looks great and you can really see the quilt motif in the design as was originally touted. Also note the wave and bubbles/splash imagery that is in the Aquarium and WoCC site design and is only visible this way. It's really very cool.

Edited by j.midtown

I don't know if these renderings have already been posted but I have some new ones of One Museum Place in Midtown. For those who have been in the dark or are not residents of Atlanta, One Museum Place will be situated across the street from the High Museum of Art and the Woodruff Arts Center.

Contrary to what some may have assumed, it is still very much alive.

hr1666241-1.jpg

Front of One Museum Place with views to Peachtree Street and The High Museum.

hr1666241-2.jpg

Rear view of One Museum Place with views of beautiful Ansley Park.

Units still available range from a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath home for $2,233,450 to a 4 bedroom, 4.5 bath home for $6,706,946. Yes, those are the exact prices.

Hmmm....I must say I'm disappointed. I understand what he was going for, but I don't think the terracing does enough to set these apart from the original moderist buildings....like, say, BellSouth.

They didn't age well then, and I don't see anything to make me think otherwise....anychance these are limestone facades instead of pre-cast?

The Lutheran Church in Midtown has entered into an agreement with a developer to sell part of its land and do a master plan for its property at Peachtree and 4th Street that would include building a mixed-use tower. The master plan, being done by TVSA, will take a year to complete.

CRB plans to erect a highrise up to 40 stories tall with space for 40,000 square feet of retail, a boutique hotel, 150,000 square feet of office space , and 200-250 luxury apartments or condos.

AJC article

peachtreeand4th.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Although I do like the original rendering that was posted better, I really appreciate that there's not a hulking parking deck hanging off the rear. I'm sure Ansley Park residents do, too :good:

It's a lot easier to bypass the large parking deck when you're building 3000+ sq/ft units and require significantly fewer spaces per sq/ft. But it's definitely a better look.

Hmmm....I must say I'm disappointed. I understand what he was going for, but I don't think the terracing does enough to set these apart from the original moderist buildings....like, say, BellSouth.

They didn't age well then, and I don't see anything to make me think otherwise....anychance these are limestone facades instead of pre-cast?

One thing for sure...beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder! Bellsouth (AT&T) is one of my favorite Atlanta high-rise buildings, and with its clean lines & simple design, I think it has aged much better than its post-modern counterparts! Then again, I'm also very excited about this Chipperfield design, so goes to show there's something for everyone.

IMO these are great renderings. I haven't been down to Atlanta for a few months....any activity on this site or is it still quiet? What's the latest?

I have to agree with you designer:

I feel that when taken in context of where this development will be located, it is a home run. Being right across from the highly fashionable High Museum will compliment the buildings. I also feel that they old-world look of the church across the street further enhances the look of this building. it's as if Chipperfield studied the surroundings, came up with a vision and designed this building to fit into the dance of design differences in the area. From a southern view, one will be able to take in OMP, The High, the old world design of the churches, the clean soaring lines of 1180 Peachtree, the modern flair of Colony Square, off in the distance the glass splendor of 12th & Peachtree and the post modern delight of One Atlantic Center, The Four Seasons and the Promenade. The thought has my mind in a swirl. I feel that that one view will cause people to pause and linger longer. I'm a long way from being trained to know what works and doesn't work in architecture. From an average person's opinion, One Museum Place is a design masterpiece.....worthy of it's location across from one of the south's...if not the country's...premier museums.

The understated design could lend itself to being 'classy'. It all depends on the details. So many building that go up in Atlanta look great on paper but in person the cheap stucco facade and mass-produced Home Depot light fixtures cheapen the realized building to something worthy of a suburban office park and not much else. I have confidence in Chipperfield, the architect but have none in an Atlanta suburban developer who has a portfolio of mindless suburban tract developments. Lets hope that he is a reformed man; after all he plans on living in the building.

The Atlanta Biz Chronicle reported today that John Wieland has postponed the development of One Museum Place until the market looks better. Dammit! :angry: Since there are so many condos built and going up, they are being smart by not adding to the supply, but I was really looking forward to this building...

Edited by urbane2440

^^ Thanks a lot now that you've cleared the land and made it look like a construction site that we have to look at for who knows how long.

Not as bad as Cousins tearing down the building at the corner of North Ave and Peachtree for a project that now has been suspended indefinitely.

Note to developers - Get your stuff together before gracing our landscape with vacant lots!