Buckhead District Developments

ironchapman

^ So am I Krazeeboi. In fact, the developer has released more renderings of the development.

Fresh glimpses of the 1.5-million square-foot "Buckhead Atlanta" district have emerged, as the developer says retail slots are 60 percent filled. Which retailers will be occupying the reported 80 spaces remains largely a mystery, however, as developer OliverMcMillan is maintaining its stance of keep specifics close to the vest until the project is fully leased, BuckheadViewreports, citing coverage at the recent International Council of Shopping Centers RECon convention in Las Vegas. The new renderings (now showing Buckhead Atlanta at night!) depict all sorts of creative, fictitious, Euro-fabulousrestaurants and clothiers lining the swanky streets. We're not so blind as to think pristine renderings translate exactly to reality, but the project seems to have enticing walkability with compelling variations of architectural styles.

image-design013.jpg

image-design012.jpg

image-design016.jpg

image-design010.jpg

image-design014.jpg

image-design009.jpg

image-design005-1.jpg

image-design017.jpg

image-design001.jpg

image-design002.jpg

image-design015.jpg

I think this is exactly type of development that the Buckhead Village area of Buckhead needed. With the redevelopment of parcels across the street (the new Restoration Hardware, etc.,), this should become very walkable part of Buckhead. My only hope is that this section of Peachtree Rd can get the same calming treatment as has been done a quarter of a mile north. It would go a long way in making the area more pedestrian friendly as a whole. 

Officials recently said the project, now flush with financial backing, should rev up construction in the next few weeks. Overall, OliverMcMillan expects the first retail stores at Buckhead Atlanta to open next spring. The bulk of the development should open by the end of 2014, with a few out-parcels coming online the following year. All told, the project is slated to include 100,000 square feet of office space and 300,000 square feet of retail — along with two 12-story towers, which will house 340 apartments.

In Buckhead development news.....

Los Angeles based COE Architecture International will transform and old 1970's era office building into apartments. The building located at 550 Pharr Rd in Buckhead will be given a new exterior and be retrofitted to contain 101 urban luxury apartments. 

550_Pharr*304.jpg?v=1

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/04/coe-architects-to-design-buckhead.html

As has been stated, Post Apartments have recently announced that the company will add to its Post Alexander complex across from Phipps Plaza with a new 25 story apartment tower. More renderings have become available. These renderings help in placing where the tower will be located.

971688_178742308953450_798718436_n.jpg

984297_178742292286785_760805522_n.jpg

943327_178742255620122_382651955_n.jpg

These are some humongous pictures...my apologies in advance. From the positioning, it appears that it will be at the corner of Lenox Rd and Phipps Blvd. Sehr gut....

• 3 weeks later...

The Buckhead Village...also known as Buckhead Atlanta... recently got a huge boost. 

First, Spanx will relocate its corporate HQ to an office building under construction in the massive development. On top of that, Spanx will also launch its flagship store in the retail portion. As a rule I generally don't do retail announcements/discussions but I feel the flagship store plus the locating of the global offices in Buckhead Atlanta warrants mention.

Read more herehttp://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/06/28/spanx-hq-a-great-fit-for-buckhead.html 

Secondly...and perhaps most importantly...the Buckhead Atlanta project has secured $167 million construction loan. This infusion of cash allows for construction pace to increase. It also allows for quality fit and finishes. Completion is slated for Fall '14. This loan shows that there is great confidence in the future growth of Atlanta. By some in the industry, this is the biggest loan to date outside of NYC. This could really thaw out many frozen proposals with the infusion of cash coming in to the development market.

Read more herehttp://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/07/buckhead-atlanta-project-secures-167.html 

Atlanta is flying under the radar but there is just so much development going on. I fear that I will not know it as well when I visit. Change...when positive...can only be a good thing. Kudos to the Buckhead submarket.  

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot. We have a construction update video from ImmovableMedia

Crescent's Circle Terminus in Buckhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNP70c-Of4M&feature=c4-overview&list=UUgFLcgYZgKd8sabFbf9PWEQ

Three eight-story buildings—three levels of parking topped by five stories of apartments—will take its inspiration from the existing contemporary buildings in the Terminus development. All together, the development will include 355 units. Crescent Terminus will be LEED certified once complete. Lord Aeck & Sargent of Atlanta is the project architect.

Edited by Lady Celeste
  • Like 1

Hello UrbanPlanet! Thanks for all the accolades! I'm super excited to find my videos posted here  :yahoo: 

I'm a freelance audio/visual guy who loves to document Atlanta as she grows. Every 6-7 weeks, I visit a whole bunch of developments all around town and post construction updates to YouTube. I know everyones interested and can't really visit all these places so I've taken it upon myself to document them for the world to see. Thanks for watching! There's a lot more to come!!!

Lady Celeste thank you in particular for posting the videos  :D

• Like 1

It is my pleasure Immovable_Media. You are a true treasure indeed. Also, welcome to the board. It is always good to have someone on board who is so committed to showcasing actual development in the city and beyond. You really bring to light how these developments fit into the urban environment...and you do it in real time. Again, welcome to Urbanplanet. We are SO glad to have you on board.

Now, on to Buckhead development news.....750 Park Avenue's twin has been resurrected!

39-story apartment tower proposed in Buckhead.

Park-Avenue.jpg

A California developer is proposing what would be the tallest residential tower built in Bukchead in years --- a 39-story luxury high-rise next to Phipps Plaza. To be known as 1000 Park Avenue, the tower will be a mirror image of 750 Park Avenue. This tower will join three other proposed towers along or near the Buckhead Loop in the Buckhead Business District.

Read more here:http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/07/26/39-story-apartment-tower-proposed-for.html

Edited by Lady Celeste

Oh yes Krazeeboi, it was initially proposed as twin towers. I remember when the buildings were first announced. It was 13+ years ago so I don't remember ALL of the specifics. What I do remember, however is that the neighborhoods surrounding the development were not too thrilled with the height and scope of the towers at all...including Wieuca Rd. Baptist Church. If I recall correctly, the developer conceded one of the towers to get the other built. At that time, that part of the Buckhead business district was not as developed as it is today. I remember how people in the surrounding subdivisions and homes complained about the shadows that would be cast by such a "tall" building. My how times have changed. 

• Like 1

This photo was taken high atop Buckhead from the 40th floor of The Residences at Mandarin Oriental Atlanta. At 580' tall, the Mandarin Oriental is Atlanta's 12th tallest building. The skyline of the Downtown, Midtown and Atlantic Station cluster are in the distance. The 665' tall 3344 Peachtree building looms in the foreground. The unit from which this picture was taken has 360 degree views. 

17_5133894_4_1368464552_636x435.jpg

Atlanta's Luxury Real Estate Market Heats Up.

Although many of us who are quite familiar with the Atlanta luxury market are already aware of this, we now have actual data to prove it. Below we have a video from the WSJ about the luxury condo market in Atlanta. Since Buckhead contains a majority amount of said inventory, I decided to place the video here. It also deals with the W Condo tower in Downtown as well. It must be duly noted that having the Atlanta luxury market showcased by the WSJ is a plus as it reaches a more international market. In the video, Alyssa Abkowitz mentions of a Hong Kong businessman who recently put a contract on a unit at the Mandarin Oriental. This is great news for the condo market as a whole and the added publicity is plus.

See video here:

http://live.wsj.com/video/atlantas-luxury-real-estate-market-heats-up/ECC4F9BE-157F-423E-8659-69C3F73F53AF.html#!ECC4F9BE-157F-423E-8659-69C3F73F53AF  

• Like 1

The PulteGroup has picked Capital City Plaza on Peachtree as its new headquarters. PulteGroup signed a 101,000 square foot lease with a term of 195 months. PulteGroup will move into the building as early as June 2014. As has been stated, PulteGroup announced in June that the company was relocating its corporate headquarters from Bloomfield Hills, MI to Atlanta. Score one for the city over the suburbs! This company has been a F500 for many years before falling to 501 or so during the housing market collapse. With the improving housing market, it could easily return...if it has not already done so. The building is located next to the Buckhead MARTA Station. 

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-31%20at%2010.59.

Novare plans new Buckhead residential tower.

SkyHouse%20Buckhead*304.png?v=1

Rendering of Novare's planned tower in Buckhead

Novare Group has announced plans to build a third residential tower...this time in the Buckhead community. The tower will be 26 stories next to the Buckhead MARTA station.

Novare Group, Batson-Cook Development Company, and Ackerman & Co. are planning SkyHouse Buckhead, a 26-story, 364-unit luxury tower. The site is just off Peachtree Road next to the new MARTA pedestrian bridge that’s going to cross over Ga. 400. The site is also behind Maggiano’s Little Italy Restaurant.

It marks the third residential tower for Novare Group. It’s also developing 100 6th Street in Midtown. It already completed SkyHouse Midtown on West Peachtree Street. The same development group has other projects under way in Orlando, Fla. Austin, Houston, and Dallas Texas.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/08/novare-plans-new-buckhead-residential.html

Also, per someone who lives next to Phipps Plaza, they are reporting that Post Properties ( see post #328) appears to have started their tower on Lenox Rd..aka The Buckhead Loop. The highrise residential race seems to be heating up in the Buckhead Business District. If recent start time is any indication, Novare should break ground at any moment.

The great apartment race continues...

In spite of Novare's announcement of its plans to construct a 26 story luxury apartment tower yesterday and Post Properties apparent commencement of its 19 story luxury apartment tower, Florida based developer Crocker is barreling forward with plans for two Buckhead apartment towers. Rising 26 and 19 stories, the towers will be near the intersection of Piedmont and Lenox Rd. These two apartment towers would join Novare's 26 story Skyhouse Buckhead, Crescent's Circle Terminus, the 39 story 1000 Park Place tower, Post's 19 story tower and the two apartment towers in Oliver McMillan's Buckhead Atlanta development. It seems as if the race is really heating up.

Last month, Atlanta's Zoning Review Board voted unanimously in favor of the project by Crocker Partners, despite outcries from neighbors over traffic concerns, according the Reporter Newspapers. The pair of towers would include 703 residential units on a 6.5 acre parcel near the Prominence building, where plans for a similar office tower never materialized. At the urging of the Buckhead CID and the area's neighborhood planning unit, plans will be altered to allow for the incorporation of PATH400, the proposed multi-purpose trail along Ga. Highway 400, into the project, company officials said.

We still have yet to see a rendering for either tower. I am happy to see that they will be including in the PATH400 trail. This will offer great pedestrian connectivity for the towers to shopping, public transportation and other office towers in the area. As soon as there is a rendering, it will be posted. The initial announcement of these towers can be found on page 17.  

The Buckhead District continues to grow up...literally.

A new hotel is planned for Buckhead on Peachtree Rd at Wieuca Rd. This is a parcel that is owned by Simon Property Group and is next to Phipps Plaza near the Nordstrom department store. The hotel brand with be an ALoft brand. No rendering as of yet and no mention of how tall it will be. As soon as more information is forthcoming, it surely will be posted.  

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/08/09/new-hotel-planned-on-next-to-phipps.html

Also in Buckhead development news:

Chicago based AMLI Residential has put two pieces of land at Roxboro and East Paces Ferry Rd under contract. AMLI likely will develop 800 to 1000 apartment units on the more than 7 acres. The land is viewed as a prime multifamily site because of its proximity to Lenox Square, Peachtree Rd, the Lenox MARTA station and Lenox Market Place (Target, Publix, etc.,).

Information found here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/08/09/amli-puts-buckhead-parcels-in-play.html?ana=e_ph_prem&u=uEqEosSSWYSHueR6vdV2NQkeaUD&t=1376043988&page=2

There is just so much going on in Buckhead these days....

We now have more information about the residential tower at Lenox Square proposed by Simon Properties from the BuckheadView blog: 

Tower 1 will be 400 feet tall and have 374 units.

The architect for the project is Small Reynolds 

Recommended to have connectivity to the PATH400 trail.

A short walk to either MARTA stations: Buckhead or Lenox Sations 

A rendering of Tower 1:

DSC_1131.JPG

DSC_1130.JPG

The total project will consist of two high-rise residential towers—Phase 1 to be 400 feet in height and Phase 2 to be 450 feet in height—with a total of 750 one-, two- and three-bedroom units in the two buildings. Phase 1, which is the only one under present consideration will have 374 units.

Buckhead is on fire. 

Read more here: http://www.buckheadview.com/2013/08/new-lenox-mall-apartment-development-is.html

The PulteGroup has picked Capital City Plaza on Peachtree as its new headquarters. PulteGroup signed a 101,000 square foot lease with a term of 195 months. PulteGroup will move into the building as early as June 2014. As has been stated, PulteGroup announced in June that the company was relocating its corporate headquarters from Bloomfield Hills, MI to Atlanta. Score one for the city over the suburbs! This company has been a F500 for many years before falling to 501 or so during the housing market collapse. With the improving housing market, it could easily return...if it has not already done so. The building is located next to the Buckhead MARTA Station. 

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-31%20at%2010.59.

Pulte will in all likelihood become metro Atlanta's 15th Fortune 500 company and Buckhead's first.  On the 2013 Fortune 1000 Pulte is #501 but prior to the great recession they were #250 on the 500.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have a name for all of the apartment towers under construction or planned on or near the Buckhead Loop. It's the Apartment Tsunami!

Buc%20Apt.%20map.jpg

From Curbed Atlanta:

One North Buckhead resident foresees traffic Armageddon in the form of 2,500 new apartment units and other projects in the area. Gordon Certain, president of the North Buckhead Civic Association and an engineer by trade, suggests traffic could increase by 30 to 50 percent if all apartment, road construction and school projects should come to fruition, BuckView reports. Certain has mapped out apartment projects in the area where Peachtree Road crosses Ga. Highway 400, and he's been vocal at meetings with his concerns. If eight proposed developments happen, Certain predicts North Buckhead's housing unit counts would jump by 50 percent — to 7,500 units. From an infrastructure standpoint, is the area prepared?

For such a small area, this is a large amount of inventory. I think Gordon Certain raises some valid concerns. Developers seem bullish on this area so it would behoove the Buckhead Civic Association to make plans for dealing with this future increase. It is neat to see the projects in map form however. It puts it in perspective.     

Crescent Resource's Circle Terminus under construction in Buckhead. Building 1 is in the foreground. Building 2 is to the immediate left and starting to rise. Building 3 will be next to the Courtyard by Marriot. These are definitely nice for infill midrises and offer much needed affordable rentals for the area. 

1278061_10100622904506299_1862459198_o.j

Photo courtesy of briantech.  

• 2 weeks later...

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-05%20at%2011.08.

Above is a picture of the access bridges over GA 400 to the Buckhead MARTA Station. For MARTA riders, the bridges spanning Ga. Highway 400 will allow direct access to the commercial developments near Tower Place Drive. Builders hope to have the job wrapped for the holiday shopping stampede in December. For reference purposes, the parking lot and trees in the middle right hand portion of the picture is where 26 story SkyHouse Buckhead will be built.

Construction Update #6.1

Camden Buckhead:
The townhouses fronting E Andrews are taking shape. Two cranes up on site.

Crescent Terminus:
A section of Highland Dr is closed as crews work on the 3rd floor of building 2. Building 1 has topped out while building 3 finally rises to street level.

Buckhead Atlanta:
Even on a Saturday, construction is roaring ahead. The southernmost sections are beginning to take shape as the office towers to the north continue to rise. 

Restoration Hardware:
The ESPN Zone is gone. Make way for 6 floors of luxury home goods shopping in the form of Restoration Hardware.

Skyhouse Buckhead:
Situated on Stratford Dr next to the new MARTA entrance will lie SkyHouse Buckhead. The tradition continues. 

Lenox Square Apartments:
Seen here is the site of the recently proposed 36-floor apartment tower behind Lenox Mall along East Paces Ferry Rd. If this does get built the views of Atlanta should be spectacular.

Lenox Square Renovation:
Renovation to the front entrance continues. 

Post Alexander:
Crews have begun site preparation on a 340 unit tower at the corner of Phipps Blvd and Lenox Rd in Buckhead.