Buckhead District Developments

ironchapman

For those of you salivating over the 3630 Peachtree development by Novare....

I drove by the site yesterday and I saw more heavy equipment. I drove past there this afternoon and all the beautiful trees on the site were felled. I hate to see trees go but I guess this is the true sign that 3630 is about to rise. The skyline of Buckhead is being stretched northeastward.

While not the most exciting architecture ever, I do like they each tower is set back from the street. The 2-3 story facades lining the streets will make it much more human-scale for pedestrians/shoppers.

It reminds me of LA's Rodeo Dr. and Wilshire Blvd.

I never thought I'd say this, but the area is slowly gaining and urban streetscape. Now, they just need to get some road connectivity going (this project obviously does well in that regard)

While not the most exciting architecture ever, I do like they each tower is set back from the street. The 2-3 story facades lining the streets will make it much more human-scale for pedestrians/shoppers.

It reminds me of LA's Rodeo Dr. and Wilshire Blvd.

I never thought I'd say this, but the area is slowly gaining and urban streetscape. Now, they just need to get some road connectivity going (this project obviously does well in that regard)

Regarding 'the new Buckhead village'

(Much) Less than inspired architecture... boring and cheap-- If this is indeed what the final construction looks like this will be a very large missed-opportunity indeed... 3630 on the other hand, is a pretty decent design...

Edited by verge

Regarding 'the new Buckhead village'

(Much) Less than inspired architecture... boring and cheap-- If this is indeed what the final construction looks like this will be a very large missed-opportunity indeed... 3630 on the other hand, is a pretty decent design...

I doubt five-star hotels and high-end shops will be cheap at all. And since it will be built in phases, I doubt that the design of the towers is set in stone.

Edited by Martinman

I agree. I think many are reacting to the towers but I think they are practically irrelevant in this development. This project about the street level for a change.

By the way, they are changing the name to the Streets of Buckhead. I don't know why they don't just call it Buckhead Village.

Vertical mixed-use project 3630 Peachtree has at last broken ground, although the latest plan from its four prominent developers calls for one instead of two towers.

^ From the ABC....not sure why they wouldn't still plan the second tower for a future phase. Maybe someone has a subscription and can fill us in.

I agree. I think many are reacting to the towers but I think they are practically irrelevant in this development. This project about the street level for a change.

By the way, they are changing the name to the Streets of Buckhead. I don't know why they don't just call it Buckhead Village.

What kind of a name is Streets of Buckhead??? This is totally ridiculous, and lacks any panache whatsover.

I agree with Verge, the architecture does look boring and cheap. I'm holding my breath and hoping this is just simply a bad model, but I'm also having a negative prediction this is going to turn out to be a HUGE missed opportunity.

What kind of a name is Streets of Buckhead??? This is totally ridiculous, and lacks any panache whatsover.

I agree with Verge, the architecture does look boring and cheap. I'm holding my breath and hoping this is just simply a bad model, but I'm also having a negative prediction this is going to turn out to be a HUGE missed opportunity.

I just am still having a problem with them tearing down an entire section of historical commercial buildings to put up what will inevitably be a Disneyfied, Atlantic Station-esque development of facades.

For as much money and consultation that these big developers spend on massive projects such as this, you would think SOMEONE would have some ounce of creativity.

Gee, I'm not sure what is meant by "cheap", but the finishes are going to be stone and similar materials, and sidewalks and street treatments will exceed the SPI overlay. The hotel, restaurant, retail and office components will all be high end. The residential buildings should be at least moderately upscale, too. While I agree that it's pretty traditional from an aesthetic standpoint, a lot of that is probably driven by the market. In my opinion this will be a major improvement and hopefully a catalyst for some of the surrounding blocks in the East Village. It certainly beats the rowdy, deteriorating bar district it is replacing.

Gee, I'm not sure what is meant by "cheap", but the finishes are going to be stone and similar materials, and sidewalks and street treatments will exceed the SPI overlay. The hotel, restaurant, retail and office components will all be high end. The residential buildings should be at least moderately upscale, too. While I agree that it's pretty traditional from an aesthetic standpoint, a lot of that is probably driven by the market. In my opinion this will be a major improvement and hopefully a catalyst for some of the surrounding blocks in the East Village. It certainly beats the rowdy, deteriorating bar district it is replacing.

I think "cheap" is just one of those terms thats popular for us armchair architects to throw around despite having no knowledge of what's actually going into the project.

^ From the ABC....not sure why they wouldn't still plan the second tower for a future phase. Maybe someone has a subscription and can fill us in.

They are still planning the second tower for a future phase. I have no idea why its reported that way

Edited by Martinman

I think "cheap" is just one of those terms thats popular for us armchair architects to throw around despite having no knowledge of what's actually going into the project.

They are still planning the second tower for a future phase. I have no idea why its reported that way

True-- 'cheap' is overused-- but the buildings look quite 'flat' without much detail, having been an architect for a while I am familiar

with inexpensive materials and have no problem with that-- just the uninteresting way that they are used......

As for the (is that conservative or unsophisticated?) market-- maybe Atlanta 20 years ago... but just look at other very successful buildings going up around town--

Atlantan's are starting to 'demand' decent architecture... not warmed over, watered down historicism...

The Streets of Buckhead--- sounds like a TV Crime-Drama from the 70s....

True-- 'cheap' is overused-- but the buildings look quite 'flat' without much detail, having been an architect for a while I am familiar with inexpensive materials and have no problem with that-- just the uninteresting way that they are used......

It may just be a matter of how people use terminology. I tend to think of flat and uninteresting as, well, flat and uninteresting, whereas (to me) "cheap" implies low cost or poor quality.

It may just be a matter of how people use terminology. I tend to think of flat and uninteresting as, well, flat and uninteresting, whereas (to me) "cheap" implies low cost or poor quality.

Thanks... excellent point--- We should all try to more descriptive when describing why we think of something as good or bad...

Cheap certainly is an overly broad description that means many things to many people...

I'm just happy that more people are talking about architecture and urban design--

-Buckhead Village

1 Hotel will be a two-tower structure with a spa in the middle. One tower will have 175 hotel rooms topped by 48 condos. The building will be LEED certified and around 18 stories; the other tower will house 50 condos.

Barry Hotel Partners said design plans are incomplete, but "it will be an iconic building for the Southeast." Groundbreaking ceremony was held today (its actually the demolition thats started) with construction of the hotel/condo expected to start next summer.

-Buckhead Place has started construction. (This is an old rendering, the building under construction is a 20 story apartment building)

buckheadplace8hr.png

- Two Alliance Center a 22 story office building is clearing the site and plans to break ground this summer. (Cannot find the rendering anywhere :angry: )

- Skyline at Lindbergh has started site work. (never understood why this area isn't called Lindbergh instead of "Buckhead")

arch_mixeduse1_L.jpg

Edited by Martinman

The Streets of Buckhead confirmed retail line up (so far)...

French luxury retailer Hermes was one of the first to sign on with the project and will have a 4,000-square-foot boutique in The Streets of Buckhead.

Also coming is AG Adriano Goldschmied, which offers designer denim for men and women; Domenico Vacca, featuring custom-tailored suits; Etro, based in Milan; and Bottega Veneta, a division of Gucci selling apparel, leather goods and home goods that plans to open a flagship store in Atlanta

Restaurants coming to the project include French bistro La Goulue and Bottega del Vino, a white tablecloth Italian establishment, which will be adjacent to 1 Hotel & Residences

Source: Atlanta Business Chronicle

I've never heard of these except for Hermes. Sounds like they're on their way of accomplishing their goal of Rodeo Drive style retail.

Besides Hermes, I've only heard of AG....big fan (they do the casual wear for Entourage on HBO).....They have a store on N. Robertson in Beverly Hill, on Newbury St. in Boston, and I believe on Michigan in Chicago, and probably a couple of stores in Manhattan. They may have a couple of others, but are pretty exclusive. This is a big win for Atlanta. Oh yeah, I've also heard of Etro....seen some of their clothes in Nieman Marcus....pricier that I can afford, so I didn't investigate further.

This is really exciting, i've heard of Etro, Hermes and Bottega Veneta, and there nice. I cant wait to hear more announcements like this. Oh and by the way Streets of Buckhead sounds really ghetto.

I think it sounds like a cop show from the 70's. Oh, wait...

Actually, they can name the project whatever they want but people are still going to call that entire area the East Village.