Buckhead District Developments

ironchapman

Yeah bust is a strong word. Don't get me wrong. Buckhead is far from dying. I just think that with the slowing of the economy and housing burst, development will slow up until it is saturated again, which will be followed by a building boom again. At the current rate of absorbtion, that looks to be about 1 or 2 years. Maybe a bit more. Who knows though. I could be wrong.

The AJC has a related article today which says that Gallery is 50% sold and both the Atlantic and Viewpoint are at 30% . I believe these are the first condos Novare has built that weren't at least 80% sold at the time of completion. At any rate, Jim Borders says to not expect them or any one else to build any condos for about two years.

I think possible exceptions are Aquarius and Trump which are apparently getting a boost from international investors.

New Buckhead condo bucks downward trend- AJC

Edited by Martinman

The AJC has a related article today which says that Gallery is 50% sold and both the Atlantic and Viewpoint are 30% sold. I believe these are the first condos Novare has built that weren't at least 80% sold at the time of completion. At any rate, Jim Borders says to not expect them or any one else to build any condos in the next two years.

I think the only possible exceptions are Aquarius and Trump which apparently are getting a boost from international investors.

New Buckhead condo bucks downward trend- AJC

I toured the penthouse at the Gallery last week. The unit is amazing! It is 2,800 sq. ft. and has 2 floors in it. The view of downtown Atlanta was unreal.

• 2 weeks later...

Article

I'm surprised we haven't seen any discussion in this forum about Ben Carter's hopes to demolish the Buckhead Branch library.

It may be controversial, but this building is fun. It's a nice departure from the norm - and boy are we seeing a lot of norm lately in Atlanta. Carter's Streets of Buckhead project, from what I've seen, is just as bland as Atlantic Station. No doubt that SOB is great for the city, but it is still a massive development designed by one firm. Great city streetscapes are made of a variety of different architecture that flows and gives walkers something new and exciting along the way. Everything does not have to be homogenized! I am fully confident that Carter could incorporate this neat building into the SOB project without any problem. His replacement idea for the library is laughable - built into a parking garage? Please. Why aren't all of your parking facilities for SOB underground, Mr. Carter? Take a lesson from the 12th and Midtown project.

On a side note, this article makes Fulton County Commissioner Tom Lowe look like a backwoods country bumpkin. A lot of credibility he has in judging artistic merits! And Loudermilk, Chairman of Aaron Rents, has no room to talk about great buildings when the one that his company headquarters is one of Buckhead's ugliest!

Edited by perimeter285

I want the library to stay!

Regarding SOB, it's not the same type of project as AS. It's not being created out of whole cloth but is rather the replacement of existing buildings in a long established commercial zone. And it only covers a few blocks -- the vast majority of Buckhead remains unaffected. The finishes will be more high end, too.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Charlotte based Crescent appears to have broken ground on it's spec tower at Phipps Plaza. Even in this down market, development seems to always happen in Buckhead. I find the building ironic because looking at the position of the tower, Charlotte based Crescent's spec tower will block Charlotte based Belk from view at neighboring Phipps Plaza.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really glad the church is staying and will co-exist with this tower. I think it will be a beautiful contrast.

John, I very much agree. The church is a tremendous asset to the area.

Also, 3630 should have some nice retail on the ground floor -- a gourmet deli/bistro, a fine dining restaurant on Peachtree, etc. Since it's part of the Peachtree Boulevard project the streetscapes will conform to those criteria.

Edited by Andrea

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Charlotte based Crescent appears to have broken ground on it's spec tower at Phipps Plaza. Even in this down market, development seems to always happen in Buckhead. I find the building ironic because looking at the position of the tower, Charlotte based Crescent's spec tower will block Charlotte based Belk from view at neighboring Phipps Plaza.

Oh Lady Celeste the 20-story Phipps Tower is quite stunning and it is a good thing that the so called "flagship" Belk will be blocked!! :lol:

Oh :o , Please don't be affended Belk shoppers, just a joke!

The latest census figures for Georgia continue to show massive growth in the state, almost entirely dominated by the Atlanta region. Atlanta has recovered strongly from it's recent recession and again returns to near 3% a year growth. It looks like construction is picking up speed as well. It's nice to see all those high rises going up, but I'd like to see more beauty in the buildings (fat chance-Art Deco's gone) and the construction of a Buckhead street grid to make it an urban neighborhood. Curvilinear streets are great for secluded family living, but urban areas need a grid to look right; skyscrapers irregularly placed willy-nilly look a bit odd (no offense Atlanta). It could be done, midtown Manhattan was once fields and pastures-look what's there now.

Edited by Unifour

The latest census figures for Georgia continue to show massive growth in the state, almost entirely dominated by the Atlanta region. Atlanta has recovered strongly from it's recent recession and again returns to near 3% a year growth. It looks like construction is picking up speed as well. It's nice to see all those high rises going up, but I'd like to see more beauty in the buildings (fat chance-Art Deco's gone) and the speeding up of a Buckhead street grid to make it an urban neighborhood. Curvilinear streets are great for secluded family living, but urban areas need a grid to look right; skyscrapers irregularly placed willy-nilly look a bit odd (no offense Atlanta). I think Atlanta will eventually remedy this. It can be done, midtown Manhatten was once fields and pastures-look what's there now.

Fat chance the street grid is going to change in Buckhead, beyond the quarter mile urbanity of Peachtree Road is permanently dominated by single family neighborhoods. The only street grid that will ever exist in Atlanta, is the street grid that currently exists - primarily in Downtown & Midtown. NIMBYism is far too powerful of a force to ever effect land use or transportation over hauls.

The latest census figures for Georgia continue to show massive growth in the state, almost entirely dominated by the Atlanta region. Atlanta has recovered strongly from it's recent recession and again returns to near 3% a year growth. It looks like construction is picking up speed as well. It's nice to see all those high rises going up, but I'd like to see more beauty in the buildings (fat chance-Art Deco's gone) and the speeding up of a Buckhead street grid to make it an urban neighborhood. Curvilinear streets are great for secluded family living, but urban areas need a grid to look right; skyscrapers irregularly placed willy-nilly look a bit odd (no offense Atlanta). I think Atlanta will eventually remedy this. It can be done, midtown Manhatten was once fields and pastures-look what's there now.

I don't agree about a street grid being a prerequisite for urbanity. You'll find curved streets throughout Europe that are enitrely urban.

I do agree that Buckhead looks a bit random these days (a little too Houston for my taste). The problem is that many of the buildings were built as suburban office parks back in the day and now there's only so much that can be done to correct it. Development in the parking lots of the malls would help.

BTW Buckhead village does have a small grid.

So there are now four 100% spec office buildings under construction in Buckhead. :shok:

Plus 3344 is just 50% leased.

Terminus 200

terminus200sg3.jpg

3630 Peachtree

3630_south.jpg

Two Alliance Center

Renderings_Med_d.jpg

Phipps Tower

phipps_2.jpg

Crescent Resources gave their reasoning for starting Phipps Tower now...

"We've identified more than 500,000 square feet of qualified prospects presently in the market and another 2 million square feet in lease expirations within the project's leasing period."

Crescent's financial partner in the project is Manulife Financial, Canada's third largest public company. "Manulife has been looking to invest in the Buckhead market for several years"

Edited by Martinman

So there are now four 100% spec office buildings under construction in Buckhead. :shok:

Plus 3344 is just 50% leased.

3630 Peachtree

3630_south.jpg

Two Alliance Center

Renderings_Med_d.jpg

Phipps Tower

phipps_2.jpg

Crescent Resources gave their reasoning for starting Phipps Tower now...

"We've identified more than 500,000 square feet of qualified prospects presently in the market and another 2 million square feet in lease expirations within the project's leasing period."

Crescent's financial partner in the project is Manulife Financial, Canada's third largest public company. "Manulife has been looking to invest in the Buckhead market for several years"

WOW!!! Phipps Tower, Two Alliance, and 3630 are really going to enhance the northern BH skyline. :) Like I hope I say on the golf course this weekend, "Nice grouping!"

Fat chance the street grid is going to change in Buckhead, beyond the quarter mile urbanity of Peachtree Road is permanently dominated by single family neighborhoods. The only street grid that will ever exist in Atlanta, is the street grid that currently exists - primarily in Downtown & Midtown. NIMBYism is far too powerful of a force to ever effect land use or transportation over hauls.

Perhaps, but I only referred to the very central core of Buckhead. Some changes could occur to make it more gridlike. Streets are not eternal-NYC has erased streets and put them back before. It could happen in Atlanta. The residents of the present highrises and future highrises aren't living in single-family homes so they might not care either way and thier NIMBY tendency would be tempered by that, but yes, most of Atlanta residential areas will always be as it is. In any case, my post was only a WISH-it's not going to occur in any case.

Edited by Unifour

I think that is basically correct, although it's not necessarily a bad thing. Once you get north of 14th Street, there's really no grid pattern. Trying to create one at this stage of the game would necessitate tearing up many of the city's best intown neighborhoods, and it would be hard to argue that the social and economic costs of doing that would be outweighed by moving auto traffic around more expeditiously. Even if we somehow elected politicians who had the will and money for such a project, residents from Ansley Park to Brookhaven would undoubtedly undergo mass convulsions if not armed revolt.

Nonetheless I don't think we need to completely throw up our hands. There will continue to be grid-type improvements around town. Atlantic Station is a good example, and the expansion of SPI-9 will enhance the old grid system in the Buckhead Village. SPI-12 also will see some improvements -- for instance, there may be a north concourse for the Buckhead station, and the recently completed Piedmont Corridor has a number of good solutions involving street grids in some areas.

I'm not sure I'd really characterize neighborhood resistance to the creation of a large street grid as NIMBYism. To me NMBYism implies selfishness at the expense of the common good. It's not at all clear that the benefits of a grid would outweigh the social and economic costs of tearing into the city's old residential neighborhoods.

• 2 weeks later...

The crown of the 3344 Peachtree is really striking. The unexpected curves of this building is amazing. It turned out better than I had expected. Is it me or does it look like the crown atop The Mansion on Peachtree looks twice as tall as it did a few weeks ago. I know many of us have been a little disappointed with the crown. Maybe they heard the cry, lol. I could just be me though so I would encourage another set of eyes. Phipps Tower will go nicely in the area. That wooden wall around the site is a little ugly though. Also, I got a chance to see the new Two Alliance Center building site. Some people in the Paramount are going to loose views but it definitely addes density to that complex. I can wait to see the Terminus Tower, Phipps Tower, Alliance and 3630 Peachtree all completed.

Also for you photobuffs. I wish someone could take a picture from the northeast corner of the Buckhead Loop (Lenox Rd) @ GA 400 heading westbound. A pano would be even better. From that vantage point, Buckhead looks really dense. Everytime I get caught at that light, I always admire how much of a "city" Buckhead is becoming.

• 2 weeks later...