Other Atlanta Developments

ironchapman

At some point, should there be enough interest, I may create threads devoted to the discussion of urban developments in other neighborhoods so that they won't drown out all the other posts on this thread. That all depends on how much interest there is in the area. Until then, please use this thread for all urban developments and projects going up outside of Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown Atlanta.

Over the next couple of days, I may be adding a few of the more recent posts from the old Atlanta Highrise Boom thread that I find relevant. Until then, feel free to visit the topic here (it

• 4 weeks later...

image_5373181.jpg

SCAD has begun restoring the historic Peters House. AJC article

The home, built in 1883, was designed by famed architect Gottfried L. Norrman. It was built for Richard Peters, an industrialist credited with building Atlanta's first bank and flour mill and who later donated 200 acres of land that is now the campus of Georgia Tech. The family owned it until the early 1970s, when investors bought it and turned it into the Mansion restaurant.
Edited by Martinman

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings forum, I am new to the area and was very active in the Orlando forum a couple years ago. I was wondering if Martinman can update his Complete list of Projects again to bring me up to speed on Atlanta. I know he was doing that reguarly on that Main thread that was closed awhile back. Maybe just sticky thread it by itself. Its just that there are so many more projects going on here its abit confusing. I know i am exstatic about being here. A city that has a subway type system and MLB etcetra and buildings that can be built over 441" tall(unofficial height limit on Downtown Orlando). I hope to become very active here as well. Thanks in advance and hello all!

Greetings forum, I am new to the area and was very active in the Orlando forum a couple years ago. I was wondering if Martinman can update his Complete list of Projects again to bring me up to speed on Atlanta. I know he was doing that reguarly on that Main thread that was closed awhile back. Maybe just sticky thread it by itself. Its just that there are so many more projects going on here its abit confusing. I know i am exstatic about being here. A city that has a subway type system and MLB etcetra and buildings that can be built over 441" tall(unofficial height limit on Downtown Orlando). I hope to become very active here as well. Thanks in advance and hello all!

Welcome to the Atlanta forum, firemick! Great to have you with us!

If Martinman is interested, I would pin such a thread.

Oh you're trying to make me work. :scared:

Its really just a matter of updating the previous list. Here's a link to that page. As I look at it there really aren't that many changes.

The Brookwood is only one that has broken ground since then.

Twelve Centennial and Gallery have topped out.

Teminus 100 has been completed and 201 17th street is almost done.

Onyx is on hold.

Oh and I could add the Roxy residential tower which is planning to break ground later this year and there are about 35 other buildings proposed that aren't on that list.

Edited by Martinman

Oh you're trying to make me work. :scared:

Its really just a matter of updating the previous list. Here's a link to that page. As I look at it there really aren't that many changes.

The Brookwood is only one that has broken ground since then.

Twelve Centennial and Gallery have topped out.

Teminus 100 has been completed and 201 17th street is almost done.

Onyx is on hold.

Oh and I could add the Roxy residential tower which is planning to break ground later this year and there are about 35 other buildings proposed that aren't on that list.

Well, I didn't say you had to. Sorry about that. If you don't want to do it, that's fine by me.

I tried such a thing a while back with that Atlanta Projects Listing. I didn't have enough time to put into it in the end.

Can I just say that I think it is disappointing that McDonalds, of all things, is going up on a prime corner in the Perimeter area (Ashford Dunwoody and Perimeter Center West). In an area that is trying its best to urbanize, and quite possibly has significant potential to do so, we now have a suburban icon of cheap American culture at one its most prominent corners. I think any restaurant chain in the country would have liked to have that spot - instead we get a McDonalds.

• 3 weeks later...

Developers unveil $1 billion North Druid Hills plans - Business Chronicle

Preliminary plans call for 3,700 residential units, 600,000 square feet of office space in several buildings, a 300-key full-service boutique hotel and 1.5 million square feet of retail space.

Shops will front several "main streets" in The Park at Briarcliff, with parking decks behind the retail shops, he said.

Edited by Martinman

Another new development proposed for Dunwoody. This is proposed to go across the street from the 'High Street" project that will have a couple 30 story towers.

Excerpt from Article in the Dunwoody Crier; http://www.thecrier.net/articles/2007/07/03/front/dha.txt

Two 30-story towers with condos planned in Dunwoody

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:05 AM EDT

Moderator's EDIT: DO NOT post entire articles or even large sections of them. Post just a short clipping of about two or three sentences at most.

--ironchapman

Edited by ironchapman

This is the rendering from the Dunwoody Crier reference the "High Street" project that Boston based GID Urban Development Group proposed on May 8, 2007. This is the NW corner of Hammond Drive and Perimeter Center Parkway. This will be across the street from the latest proposal listed above. :)

highstreetlowzd2.th.jpg

Edited by firemick

• 8 months later...

Apparently the developers of The Mix @ 841 have made enough changes to satisfy the neighborhood group and is now ready to move forward. The neighborhood wanted more brick and less glass so that the project would resemble the existing architecture in the area and made the developers reduce the height 10 feet. At this point it looks lot less interesting than the original IMO. <_<

the project features from the website...

25,000 square feet of retail

12 unique residential homes atop the retail

218 public parking spaces, dedicated scooter parking, ample bike racks and ZipCars

dexPic_btm.jpg

ill.jpg

building-rendering.jpg

Old rendering

executive_horizontal.jpg

This developer is also responsible for this bit of retail going up in Inman Park on Elizabeth Street.

rendering.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

There are few low-rise projects that have broken ground that don't have any renderings available.

Alexan Midtown West will be ~400 apartments on Huff Road.

Broadstone West will have 285 apartments, 25,000 sf retail on Marietta St. I'm anxious to see this one because I think it will be a nice infill development.

Broadstone Glenwood is a 236 unit apartment project adjacent to Glenwood Park and is said to be designed to blend with the "new urbanist" development.

Gables Red Cross site on Monroe will have 340 units. I'm not sure of the name but the parking deck is visible from 85.

Edited by Martinman

• 3 weeks later...

The AJC had some pics of 2115 Peidmont which opens this month. The project is not the run of the mill apartment complex with nine live/work spaces, 7,000 square feet of office suites and some two-story lofts.

I like the design, but it looks like something you'd see in a coastal area.

image_7165758.jpg

slideshow_588226_build.0609_3.JPG

slideshow_588227_build.0609_7.JPG

slideshow_588225_build.0609_4.JPG

Edited by Martinman

• 4 weeks later...

The AJC today mentioned a couple of projects that are planned for industrial sites on the Beltline.

The first will be on Memorial Drive on the Atlanta Dairies site which closed in March. Plans call for 345 residential units, 32,500 square feet of office space, 30,000 square feet of retail and 46,000 square feet for what the developers hope will be a grocery store.

The other site is at 903 Huff Road where the Georgia Steel Supply Company is located and will be handled by apartment developer Archstone.

here's a rendering of Broadstone Glenwood

image_7208529.jpg

Edited by Martinman