Other Atlanta Developments

ironchapman

Here's a rendering of Room & Board's 34,000 sf store at White Provisions. The area is truly becoming intown Atlanta's design district.

Other White Provisions retail will include Knoll, Abattoir (new restaurant from the Bacchanalia team) and a Bill Hallman boutique is rumored to be in negotiations.

loc_ga_atlanta.jpg

White Provisions condo building

138_lg.jpg

SkyHill - modern townhome development on North avenue seeking LEED certification

magSkyHill.jpg

Anthem - apartment project on Northside Drive north of Atlantic Station. This summer they were saying early '09 groundbreaking but now, who knows?

Anthem.png

Edited by Martinman

Here's a rendering of Room & Board's 34,000 sf store at White Provisions. The area is truly becoming intown Atlanta's design district.

Other White Provisions retail will include Knoll, Abattoir (new restaurant from the Bacchanalia team) and a Bill Hallman boutique is rumored to be in negotiations.

Huh - not sure I would ever want to go to a restaurant named after a slaughterhouse. Even if it's french ;)

^^ Yet it is appropriate given the history of the building and it just sounds better when you say it in french. :)

Here's a pic of the footbridge thats being installed over the railroad tracks that will link White Provisions with Westside Urban Market.

2940448844_e645138010_b.jpg

The project labeled Ralph McGill redevelopment on this map appears to be under construction. Its called Six60 @ OFW and will include "luxury" apartments and some townhomes I think. I haven't been able to find any additional information on the project.

o4wgb8.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a Google image showing the Westside residential boom over the last three years. There are 24 projects with a total of nearly 8,000 residential units. 9 are completed, 7 under construction, and 8 are planned.

Since most of the planned projects are apartments, there is still a chance we could see them get underway in the next couple of years.

Westside.jpg

Edited by Martinman

I was back in Atlanta to check on my house last week (currently living in Brunswick, GA). When we moved in July we couldn't believe how much was still being developed in our hood (Old Fourth Ward). Given the amount already being built in the Old Fourth Ward it was even more unbelievable that Six60@OFW had recently started. I know that this is not the building boom that we Atlantans are accustomed to but for anything to be breaking ground now is worth noting.

Apartment development still seems to be going relatively strong. I think there are about 12 under construction in intown Atlanta at the moment (excluding Lindbergh, Buckhead and other parts of the city). Of course some of them originally intended to be condos.

Case in point...

Alta O4W (formerly "The Fourth" condos)

AltaO4W.jpg

Heights Ellsworth also just recently broke ground. Its not one of my favorites but thats another story.

Heights Ellsworth

HeightsEllsworth2.jpg

HeightsEllsworth.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay... so while I'm sitting here looking at all the little developments going up here and there based upon the findings in these forums, I stumbled upon an in-depth analysis of the redevelopment plans for Fort McPherson. I believe that this will be much needed growth and redevelopment catalyst for South Atlanta city proper. Depending upon your connection speed, it might take some time to open up the pdf file - documents/3a.LandUse-v5-0-wCover.pdf'>documents/3a.LandUse-v5-0-wCover.pdf

For more information check out -

thumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...

Cousins and Gables have broken ground on Emory Point, the first major ITP mixed use project since the real estate collapse, adjacent to the CDC and of course Emory University. The first phase of Emory Point will include more than 80,000 square feet of retail and 443 luxury apartments. This phase is expected to be finished by fall 2012 with subsequent phases to be built according to market demand.

EmoryPtSP.jpg

EmoryPt2.jpg

EmoryPt3.jpg

EmoryPt1.jpg

Edited by Martinman

The Emory Point development is tremendous and transforming development for the Emory area. Already dense in it's own right with a pleasant skyline, this should be both beneficial to the pedestrian experience as well as adding much needed housing to the immediate area. With the Centers for Disease Control, Emory Univ., Emory Hosp. and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (both hospitals were nationally ranked by US News and Reports), I can see many of the local employees taking advantage of the housing and retail of this facility.

Excellent, excellent news...now bring the MARTA spur there and it will become even more desirable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Even in this challenged economy, I am glad to hear that progress is moving forward on the redevelopment of Fort McPherson. This is a prime piece of real estate three Marta train stops (if I recall correctly) south of downtown. It is also right across the street from the Lakewood/Ft. McPherson station. Two groups of developers submitted plans and qualifications for the redevelopment of the property which includes 40 historic structures. One group consist of

Cousins Properties, The Integral Group and Forest City Enterprises and the other group teams

Atlanta developers Carter and H. J. Russell & Co. Because of it's location and public transportation access (it is a stone's throw south the Atlanta Beltline Project), this property, if handled properly could become quite the live/work/play community.

• 11 months later...
Here's a Google image showing the Westside residential boom over the last three years. There are 24 projects with a total of nearly 8,000 residential units. 9 are completed, 7 under construction, and 8 are planned.

Since most of the planned projects are apartments, there is still a chance we could see them get underway in the next couple of years.

Westside.jpg

Wow!  I had forgotten about this and how much had been built on the Westside or West Midtown whichever you call it.

The good news is that many of the developments on this map that went dormant for a while, are now being revived.

691 14th Street is now Elan Westside and broke ground this fall.

315767_526900247328596_576496254_n.jpg

Walton Westside near Westide Urban Market, also broke ground

image_5_model_concept_01.jpg?sfvrsn=2

903 Huff Road - Worthing Southeast instead of Archstone is now proposing an apartment development for the site.

16th and Mecaslin - Pollack is now planning to break ground in March on a smaller version of what was originally planned.

Edited by Martinman

• 3 months later...

This is great news for metro Atlanta's burgeoning movie/production industry. The developers of Midtown Atlanta's Atlantic Station have set their sights on Gwinnett County and have announced plans to construct what is billed as the Southeast's largest movie studio. The site is at the intersection of Jimmy Carter Blvd and I-85 in the Norcross area of Gwinnett County. There have been a string of studios announced in recent months in the metro area. This announcement joins those announced in Fayette and Newton Counties. Atlanta's own Tyler Perry has also said he will "significantly" expand his southwest Atlanta studio campus. He  was also behind the purchase of 800+ acres in the New Manchester area of Douglas County...just west of Atlanta. We don't yet have enough information on this lands potential usage.  

While this announcement is out in the 'burbs and really has nothing to do with anything urban, it's always great anytime a potential job generating industry expands in the metro area. Especially considering that metro Atlanta's unemployment rate has fallen yet again to 7.9% for March 2013. While it's an improvement, it's still on the wrong side of the national average. So let us all hope that these such developments can prove positive for metro and Georgia as a whole.

Read more specifics here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2013/04/movie-studio-part-of-100-acre.html

• 1 month later...

Not to fact-check ya :hi:  but I wonder who is billing this as even a large film studio?  Medient Studios just inked a $>300-million development deal for a 1,500 acre megastudio halfway between Savannah and Statesboro in Effingham County - to be the largest movie studio in the United States.  The first phases will employ 400-1200 initially.  Perhaps the Gwinnett studio at 400k sq ft is why its being billed as largest since Medient's sound stages will only have 250k sq ft.

http://savannahnow.com/effingham-now/2013-03-19/90-million-movie-studio-slated-effingham#.UcJWmflOOCg

"Medient bills the complex as “the largest movie production facility” in America. The first phase of the project will include 16 soundstages in various buildings totaling about a quarter of a million square feet."

and

"Architect Shaleen Sharma, from Delhi, India, said he was told to “dream big” when designing the complex, which includes tall “trees” with solar panels on the top. The trees will light up at night and have waterfalls inside them.

The entrance to the complex will be a tall bridge over the wetlands, which will end on the sixth floor of the main building.

A feature called the “leaf” will be a glass covering a more than 300,000-square-foot area where large concerts, for 25,000 people, can be held. Sharma said the leaf will be visible from I-16. It will include an auditorium that will seat about 9,000 people."

I think this project is great news for Georgia and even Atlanta as this studio will provide more opportunities for SCAD-Atlanta students perhaps via summer internships in Savannah or whatnot.  With the mean salary of studio workers at $39,000 (which is very significant in Southeast, Georgia where $50k-household income is considered good).  A two-employee household could easily bring in six figures given they are not cafeteria workers.  If SE Georgia grows enough maybe we'll get a Atlanta-Savannah train. lol.

As for the above studio in Gwinnett... I would prefer it be somewhere intown, but I suppose it'll be something for Peachtree Corners teenagers to stay out of trouble with auditioning for extra roles.  Anything to bring down the unemployment numbers too - so we can vie for our intown jobs locally.

Edited by andremurra

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Overton Rise:
The residential component of Hines' "Overton Park" is under construction at the corner of Akers Mill Rd and Cumberland Pkwy, just southeast of the Cobb Cloverleaf. 

Two Overton Park:
Not sure what the official word on this 17 floor office tower is. Right now the site is being used as a rock crushing/dirt collection/equipment lot for Overton Rise, right next door. Anyone have any info?

Vallate Apartments:
Across the street from the Northside Branch of the FC Public Library (3295 Northside Pkwy) developers Ellinwood + Machado have begun work on two buildings: A 12 story concrete high rise connected to a 5 story wood framed mid rise; Vallate Apartments.
Edited by Immovable_Media
  • Like 1