Growing up in Hartford

blink55184

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Tycoon...maybe a couple valid points, more bad ones than good....and way to over dramatic. The writer comes across as immature and trying to use any vague point to further her cause.

For instance...The Convention Center is bad because it was Rowland's idea and he was corrupt. Stupid.

I agree with Tycoon...maybe a couple valid points, more bad ones than good....and way to over dramatic. The writer comes across as immature and trying to use any vague point to further her cause.

For instance...The Convention Center is bad because it was Rowland's idea and he was corrupt. Stupid.

Robm;

The Convention Center is bad?? I hate to tell you that just because it was Rowland's idea, it isn't bad. Ask the exhibitors who does shows there -- they love it. (I have friends in the marine business and they love the center for ease of loading and unloading.

JimS

It is not fair for Hartford to be the dumping ground for the poor. There needs to be more middle class, and wealthy people in the city to balance the economy.

Where is the outrage in Simsbury, Canton and Avon over the lack of affordable housing? Complexes where the lowest price is $600,000. Where is the outrage at Blue Back Square where there is no affordable housing?

I don't know what CVS she is talking about, but the one at Central Row could use some better standards. The cashier the other day had a ballcap on backwards and a lousy t-shirt. What kind of attire is that for a store?

Poor people can still have pride. Why should government be blamed for the people who deface buildings with graffiti and litter and smash windows. Get an entry level job at McDonald's and move up to something else. There are plenty of people who grew up poor in Hartford and made it. Chief Roberts is a fine example.

Poor people can still have pride. Why should government be blamed for the people who deface buildings with graffiti and litter and smash windows. Get an entry level job at McDonald's and move up to something else. There are plenty of people who grew up poor in Hartford and made it. Chief Roberts is a fine example.

This brings the ongoing debate of if people born in poverty or urban America can rise up from the city and make a real life. My mother's life resembles the life of this women which she explains in the beginning of the article. She was born in a poor neighborhood in Hartford, heard gunshots, had families cars stolen, etc. Evenutally they moved to better city neighborhoods and eventually out of the city. She and her two siblings are all very succesfull.

Also it is not just Connecticut that has thse problems. Numerous cities are reinventing their downtowns but have struggling neighborhoods..its not just Hartford. It is cities across the nation.

I've had roomates in college who were from Bridgeport, Stamford, Harlem ... all trying to make lives better for themselves. Around campus there are quite a lot of people from the cities trying to escape all the madness of the poor ghettos, instead of working dead end struggling for rent money.

Hartford needs help, but this girl here was exaggerating a bit.

I've had roomates in college who were from Bridgeport, Stamford, Harlem ... all trying to make lives better for themselves. Around campus there are quite a lot of people from the cities trying to escape all the madness of the poor ghettos, instead of working dead end struggling for rent money.

Hartford needs help, but this girl here was exaggerating a bit.

I don't think it is as simple as lack of determination, though it probably plays a role. I have a semi acquaintance who graduated from ECSU and works at WalMart, I tried my best to help but she won't put in what it takes to get a good job. She thinks sending in an application is enough. On the other hand I have friends who have low level jobs, UPS and C&S mainly, because they made major mistakes as teens. They are pretty determined, but, they have liabilities. Hard to say if I feel bad for them as it is their fault, but the issues plaguing some of Hartford's resident are abundant and their sources many.

if sending in an application to walmart is to difficult, how hard is it to apply to ECSU? i couldn't be friends with somebody like that. residents of hartford don't need to worry about finding a job, finishing school, or doing much of anything for themselves - the state taxpayers will take care of them in the form of welfare and unemployment checks.

if sending in an application to walmart is to difficult, how hard is it to apply to ECSU? i couldn't be friends with somebody like that. residents of hartford don't need to worry about finding a job, finishing school, or doing much of anything for themselves - the state taxpayers will take care of them in the form of welfare and unemployment checks.

Archived