Theme Park Coming

Justiceham

(Sigh) Well atleast it's a theme park, and a great location, even though I do believe the idea is a bit exploitational. A new theme park called Bible Park USA will be built if passed by the council (and you know this one will) in the Blackman area. The park will supply 1,000 jobs in a couple of years. What do you guys think about it?

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...NEWS01/70413016

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Sigh) Well atleast it's a theme park, and a great location, even though I do believe the idea is a bit exploitational. A new theme park called Bible Park USA will be built if passed by the council (and you know this one will) in the Blackman area. The park will supply 1,000 jobs in a couple of years. What do you guys think about it?

I think it's a joke if no other reason than the name alone. I am not against Christians and theme parks, but I am against a park that calls itself "Bible Park USA". That is about as corny and unoriginal as it could possibly get. What an embarrassment if it gets built too.

I agree with Lexy. Can they not have a christian based theme park and give it an original name. I can see this starting out as "Bible Park USA" then selling out to Six Flags about 5 yrs later. But whatever, middle Tennesee needs a theme park somewhere, of some sort!

I think it needs an amusement park. I giant magnet for evangelicals in the form of a cheap exploitational experiment is the last thing we need in my opinion.

Unbelieveable!

• 4 months later...

as if trying to be saved while walking through campus wasn't enough, now i'd have to put up with that on a roller coaster? they seriously need to change this from being an amusement park and put it into a new category. oh i dunno, abusement park anybody?

As a Christian myself, I don't see a problem with the "idea" of a theme park dedicated to presenting the Gospel message as long as it doesn't cheapen the message and that it stays true to the Bible.

As far as "abusement", what do you mean? I doubt that anyone is holding a gun to any patron's head. If by abusement you mean the likelihood that it will abuse God's word, then that is an unknown at this point. In order to be successful it will depend on what any theme park does....willing customers. How presenting the Message of Salvation to willing patrons can be alligned with "abuse" is absurd. I will admit I'd have to see it to really give an opinion on that particular park.

This is proof positive that the City of Murfreesboro has absolutely no backbone to them whatsoever.

Could you elaborate please, Lexy? I have no idea whether or not this park will benefit or harm the area, or whether (more importantly) it will serve to honor God, but the owners of that property have a right to develop it as they see fit, provided it doesn't infringe on the property rights of others.

Could you elaborate please, Lexy? I have no idea whether or not this park will benefit or harm the area, or whether (more importantly) it will serve to honor God, but the owners of that property have a right to develop it as they see fit, provided it doesn't infringe on the property rights of others.

I guess because it's my opinion. And as a evangelical preachers child, and an American, I am entitled to it. You can say it "Honors God" till the cows come home but this joker just wants to expolit the Christians to make a buck off them. You can save souls without making a joke out of Christianity thank you. This character is pathetic. If he gets his wish, I give it five years and he will be Mayor of Murfreesboro. LOL!! I'm sorry, I live right next to this crap and i'm not sold on it whatsoever. Just one more reason to get the heck out of this dump while the getting is good.

As for the comment about the property owners, whatever. Like the traffic, crime, and increased property values/taxes from this thing doesn't "infringe" on my rights as a property owner. And the garbage dump "Avenues" that sit right across from my house doesn't infringe on my rights as well. I was never asked about that development, nor was I really ever asked about this craptoid idea for a theme park. Murfreesboro isn't ready for a development this size and you and I know that to be a fact. If you don't, then tell me what the weather's like at 40,000 feet because you have your head in the clouds. End of this discussion with me. Murfreesboro needs to stop being a suburb and start being a city. Stop catering to the developers and start making REAL decisions about growth and development. Reliant, if you want a political discussion or religious one go somewhere else with it because this isn't the place for it.

I'm afraid I fail to see what Bible Park USA has in common with the Avenue. The Avenue is an upmarket, well-planned, and beautifully designed shopping destination. Shopping is a necessity in any city, town, or suburb. It was a placed on a major thoroughfare with quick access to an interstate in a commercial area. It will allow those of us who live in Murfreesboro to stop having to drive 30 minutes to Green Hills to find any decent stores. It will also increase property values of those of us who live nearby.

Bible Park, on the other hand, is a cheap, trashy Theme Park dumped in the middle of a residential area with no regard for traffic or the effect on nearby homeowners. It will destroy property values. And a theme park is certainly not a necessity for every city, town, or suburb. I imagine it will bring in mostly day visitors; I can't imagine many people planning a week's vacation around it. Nor can I picture it being a big draw for locals.

I just don't see how they are related.

Lexy, thanks for answering my question. I'd like to point out that I didn't say the park would honor God, I said I didn't know whether or not it would honor God. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

On to property rights: I think the subject of private property rights, the right of the people to develop their land as they see fit, is at the heart of the urban equation in modern America. I sympathize with your situation, but I firmly believe that the purpose of government is to protect our rights, not take them away. Business men who own land have as much of a right to develop their property as anyone else. You mentioned traffic, crime and increased property value/taxes as things that would infringe on your property rights. I fail to see how increased traffic near your property infringes on your land rights. Crime: If negligence on the part of your neighbor or criminal acts on his part infringe on your property rights then you have a legitimate grievance to take up with your neighbor in court, but then again it would be in my opinion criminal of the government to deprive a land owner of his property rights. I would agree that increased property taxes most definitely infringe on your rights as a property owner. Any tax on your property does so! However, the blame for that should be laid with the City of Murfreesboro, not with your neighbor.

I truly believe that these issues are of supreme importance to all of us, especially as we discuss urban development in our city. If you do not wish to discuss them with me, you are welcome to abstain, but I do appreciate your time in answering my question. If a moderator has a problem with any of my comments, they will let me know.

Edited by Relient J

I truly believe that these issues are of supreme importance to all of us, especially as we discuss urban development in our city. If you do not wish to discuss them with me, you are welcome to abstain, but I do appreciate your time in answering my question. If a moderator has a problem with any of my comments, they will let me know.

I agree with you for the most part. And I for one have no problem with anything said in this thread. Dialogue is a good thing.

Edited by Lexy

The more I research Bible Park USA, the less I like the idea.

If there is any corellation with the quality and care put into creating the

website(have you seen it? Yikes. :unsure: ) and the quality of the development of the park, I'm a little

disturbed.

I agree that it also does not seem to fit with the upscale Avenues development.

People keep saying that the Avenue is upscale. I'm just not seeing it. It's just a glorified strip mall.

That's not really true. A lot of the stores coming in there (Talbots, Jos. A Bank, Coldwater Creek, Brighton, etc.), only have locations at Green Hills and Cool Springs. Granted, it's not Versace or Prada, but it's pretty upscale for this area.

What makes the Avenue an "upscale" development is pretty simple, really - a combination of higher-end stores similar to what one would find in Cool Springs or Green Hills, a great selection of restaurants, fantastic architecture and signage, and extensive landscaping -

As opposed to what feels like a decidedly low-budget attempt at a "Holy Land Experience" type theme-park (which is reportedly struggling to survive, even in tourist-mecca Orlando.)

I just don't see how the two quite mesh in comparison.

Edited by Moodygirl1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not no, but hell no!!! :angry: , I'll lead a march to burn down the construction site many times if thats what it takes. No town in the country deserves this abomination of a project, its so stupid. We may be the buckle of the Bible Belt, but we want it to stay shiny and sparkly, not tarnished with this sorry excuse to make money. I highly doubt this will make it, if it does, get ready to elect new officials yall!

From everything I've read in the papers, sounds to me like it's a done deal. This thing remained hush/hush for months. I'm not that opposed to it, but think it should have been in a non-residential area.

I'll trade those folks a landfill for the Theme Park, however.

Have you folks seen Mt. Trashmore recently? And right by our water souce-- shame, shame.

Wow. I can't believe this might actually become a reality. What an incredible embarrassment. Thanks, evangelicals, for setting the entire region back several decades, just because without entertainment you apparently can't stay interested long enough in your own religion based on it's merits. If you need a cartoon Disneyland theme park version of a children's Bible story book to maintain any so-called "devotion", then maybe you need a new religion or, *gasp* no religion at all. This is absolutely appalling. As much as I love Nashville, this is the kind of thing that makes me glad that I now live in a place like Chicago.

Edited by BnaBreaker