Theme Park Coming

Justiceham

Lets face it...any commercial project is already a "done deal" when it comes to Murfreesboro. The one good thing about this is after they see what an abomination this piece of crap turns out to be..maybe...just maybe, residents of our fine town will start giving a @@@@ what goes on in city hall.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm one of the few that is for the project. Again, send it to Walter Hill, and I'll trade you a huge Mt. Trashmore.

I'm not thrilled with it being in a residential area........but we need more "attactions" here in the 'Boro to draw the tourist dollar in. I be Nashville wishes Opryland had held out a few more years.

What if the them park was a new "Opryland" instead of a "Bible Park"?

If it doesn't do well then maybe a Six Flags will take it over. What else is there to do in Murfreesboro? We need something, since we lost the race track.

Guess we'll have to settle for the Greenway, but most people who post on the DNJ are anti-Greenway, and they couldn't be further offbase, in my opinion. I use the Greenway 4 to 5 times per week, as do many folks. Keep bringing the Pork home to the 'Boro, Bart! I'll keep voting for you!!!

It's called progress, people.

I'm not sure how many people outside of my old hometown, Charlotte, are familiar with Jim and Tammie Faye Bakkers PTL Club. They had a huge complex just south of Charlotte. It wasn't exactly a theme park, but it was all supposedly christian based. It had a water park and a main street shopping area and of course the studios for the broadcast company. It was a huge tourist attraction. It collapsed under its own excess. It stands today a wasteland with a chain link fence around it. I see this happening to this thing too.

^Good God I hope so. It disgusts me.

I can't understand why some people on this forum are "disgusted" with a religious attraction in the area. What are you afraid of? Nobody is going to require you to go, so relax. Whether you like it or not, there are millions and millions of people in this country that are interested in the Bible, and this could be a great tourist attraction for the area, if done right.

Edited by Hankster

I guess I'm one of the few that is for the project. Again, send it to Walter Hill, and I'll trade you a huge Mt. Trashmore.

I'm not thrilled with it being in a residential area........but we need more "attactions" here in the 'Boro to draw the tourist dollar in. I be Nashville wishes Opryland had held out a few more years.

What if the them park was a new "Opryland" instead of a "Bible Park"?

If it doesn't do well then maybe a Six Flags will take it over. What else is there to do in Murfreesboro? We need something, since we lost the race track.

Nobody is against this because it is a theme park. They're against it because it's a ridiculously gaudy evangelical playground. I don't know what you think this thing is going to be, but it's not Six Flags, so you're desire to welcome it into your city 'so you have something to do' is probably a bit off, unless your idea of excitement on a Saturday night is going to watch a cartoon amusement park Jesus in a cartoon passion play.

It's called progress, people.

In what way is this a progression? No offense, but do you guys down there in the Boro desire new development so much that you consider any and all development "progress"? The Nashville metro is just beginning to shed the inaccurate stereotype of being nothing more than a hotbed for backwater ultra-conservative evangelicals and wannabe cowboys. This theme park will undoubtedly help to erase all those years that the area has fought hard at getting the city portrayed in society accurately as the progressive and growing metropolis that it is.

I can't understand why some people on this forum are "disgusted" with a religious attraction in the area. What are you afraid of? Nobody is going to require you to go, so relax. Whether you like it or not, there are millions and millions of people in this country that are interested in the Bible, and this could be a great tourist attraction for the area, if done right.

Why do people need a Bible theme park in order to be interested in the Bible? If that's what it takes to draw people into the religion, then how does it even still qualify as religion at that point? And I'm not talking about Christianity as a whole, but if somebody needs to be entertained in order to keep interest in a religion, then maybe it's better to just let that person go. I'm not even a Christian and even I'm offended by how this theme park cheapens and makes a mockery of Christianity. It's just some guy wanting to make money off of the Bible. I can't see how a Christian could defend that. If people are interested in the Bible, then how about they pick up an ACTUAL BIBLE? Making a theme park about a system of beliefs makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And beyond that, this place will only help to strengthen the inaccurate stereotype that the Nashville area is nothing more than a country evangelical backwater that is stuck in the past. It's not metro's fault that some so-called Christians apparently require "Christian entertainment" in order to stay interested in the religion itself.

Edited by BnaBreaker

Why do people need a Bible theme park in order to be interested in the Bible?

Why not? It's a free country. Quit bellyaching. Sheez. You're disdain for anything religious is disgusting. Oh, by the way, I don't even go to church myself, so don't accuse me of being some evangelical weirdo (I assume that's your opinion of anyone of faith).

Edited by Hankster

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Rutherford Regional Planning Commission put a big wretch into the developers' hope of bringing Bible Park USA to the Blackman Community in Rutherford County. It voted 8-7 to reject zoning changes and permit requests for the project. The project still has to go before the full County Commission, but odds are looking long that Rutherford County is going to want to give millions in tax incentives to a project that faces strong local opposition and may not pan out nearly as well as projections indicate with lean economic years a real possibility in the near term.

There is a whole Tennessean article here where folks can read the full story.

Looks like the Rutherford Regional Planning Commission put a big wretch into the developers' hope of bringing Bible Park USA to the Blackman Community in Rutherford County. It voted 8-7 to reject zoning changes and permit requests for the project. The project still has to go before the full County Commission, but odds are looking long that Rutherford County is going to want to give millions in tax incentives to a project that faces strong local opposition and may not pan out nearly as well as projections indicate with lean economic years a real possibility in the near term.

There is a whole Tennessean article here where folks can read the full story.

It's a strange project. I am a Christian and believe wholeheartedly in the sanctity of God's word, which is the reason I think using God's word to make money with a theme park is a little "off base" considering what He asks of us in the bible. That being said, I also understand this place could be used to spread God's message to some, though be it in a "worldly" way.

Like I said above...strange project.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was a little humorous. It is an article from the Tennessean about one of the co-owners of the proposed park and his "shady" past. The article also talks about the park and the pros and cons which most of us already knew.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

• 2 weeks later...

Am I correct that this project is now D.O.A.?

From the Murfreesboro Post article yesterday:

Eventually, the proposed $175 million-200 million, 282-acre biblically themed park in Blackman Community was voted down in a 12-9 vote for approval, which fell two votes short of the 14 needed.

Edited by Moodygirl1

they will probably appeal. i'm hoping it goes away. my girlfriend's family lives in the blackman community. they are what some might say very religious and they do not want this thing in their backyard. for those of you who have been to this area, you have seen the beauty of the rollings hills and farmland. it would be a shame if ANY theme park was built in this community. i honestly don't want this theme park built in nashville or the surrounding areas. i find it to be in poor taste. hankster, i will have to respectfully disagree with your stance. while i do agree that this is a free country, i do also believe that it is a democracy. the majority of the people in blackman do not want this theme park in their back yard. it's not even the theme park that they are worried about either. it's the tourist traps and restaurants that come with it that they are afraid of. the point was made earlier that if it was a theme park that people liked, then they would allow it. this is a very true statement. do residents not have a say in what they can and cannot have sharing their neighborhood? if it becomes something that the community enjoys, then it makes perfect sense to build it there. if the community is not going to enjoy it, let's not exploit them just to make a buck.

they will probably appeal. i'm hoping it goes away. my girlfriend's family lives in the blackman community. they are what some might say very religious and they do not want this thing in their backyard. for those of you who have been to this area, you have seen the beauty of the rollings hills and farmland. it would be a shame if ANY theme park was built in this community. i honestly don't want this theme park built in nashville or the surrounding areas. i find it to be in poor taste. hankster, i will have to respectfully disagree with your stance. while i do agree that this is a free country, i do also believe that it is a democracy. the majority of the people in blackman do not want this theme park in their back yard. it's not even the theme park that they are worried about either. it's the tourist traps and restaurants that come with it that they are afraid of. the point was made earlier that if it was a theme park that people liked, then they would allow it. this is a very true statement. do residents not have a say in what they can and cannot have sharing their neighborhood? if it becomes something that the community enjoys, then it makes perfect sense to build it there. if the community is not going to enjoy it, let's not exploit them just to make a buck.

I live in the Blackman Community and I would have to concur with the above. I'm glad it was shot down personally. It was a junk idea from the beginning and one that would exploit Jesus Christ for a buck. That, to me, is wrong regardless of how you word it.

Can we get a Six Flags, please? A music oriented park or something similar to Downtown Disney would also be cool. The land will most likely be used for more malls and housing if the commission has their way with it, though. The Westlawn mixed use project is already under construction. The idea of 1.5 million people (roughly everyone in the Nashville Metro) attending Bible Park USA is comical at best.