Hotel Indigo planned for RTP

rolly

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be specific, it is a Hotel Indigo. HI is not as nice as the Intercontinental named line, but it is definitely chic. It is good to see some new hotels go up in that area. We kind of stagnated after 1990 out there.

There are 10 properties in the chain. The Midtown Atlanta one is the only one I've seen...and man is it blue inside.

Thanks for the info, Rolly!!! Don't be a stranger.

map it

Hotel Indigo must be going through a major expansion in North Carolina (or all over the country.) It's recently been revealed that they're in the preliminary planning stages for a 10-story hotel in downtown Asheville.

It will be nice to have a hotel in the RDU / RTP area that kind of "stands out." Everything that's out there right now (with the notable, recent exception of The Umstead) is pretty much just a lot of the same - mid-range hotels in eifs buildings with pitched tile roofs by interstate exits.

It will be *behind* some hotels off Miami, so it probably won't stand out any more than the Hilton (formerly Holiday Inn) that is between the two parts of Old Page Road. Maybe now the Rudinos (is it still there?) won't feel so lonely!

There is another hotel (Homewood Suites?), a church and a gas station on Miami, so it won't be dramatic until on the property. One of the proposals for Site 4 in Raleigh was an Ingio-flagged hotel, but the local Lafayette won.

Groundbreaking for this hotel is happening tomorrow with an estimated opening next spring. This will be a nice addition to this part of RTP. I have heard that a lot of new development is being eyed for the western portion of the Park-the old EPA building may be redeveloped and there is the Radisson project being talked about.

I ride by the old EPA site (west side of Alexander between NC 54 and I-40) every day and they've been demoing parts of it for the last week or so. They tried to remarket it as "Triangle Life Sciences" lab space, but I don't think anyone signed on.

Other than Durham PD's driving practice in the parking lot, the site has seen little to no activity. It would be nice to see RTP restrictions removed from the 54 corridor. Non-office use could give the area some residential and retail options. There are several sites, including the old school recently torn down from across the Hardees at Alston, the old EPA site, the Radisson and the old bulidings in front of it, the south corners at 54/Davis, etc. It is crazy how narrow RTP is along 54 from Miami to Alexander.

Building on the momentum in the nearby Miami/Page area created by Hotel Indigo and the Page/Slater road restaurant complex, nearby Triangle Metro Center, and the Davis/54 widening could start creating a sense of place in RTP in a few years.

I ride by the old EPA site (west side of Alexander between NC 54 and I-40) every day and they've been demoing parts of it for the last week or so. They tried to remarket it as "Triangle Life Sciences" lab space, but I don't think anyone signed on.

Archived