• Rudy Giuliani
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bill Richardson
    • John McCain
    • John Edwards
    • Fred Thompson
    • Other....who?

Is anyone watching the Republican candidates' debate? Ron Paul just became my favorite in the Republican field by having the nerve to suggest that 9/11 resulted from America's aggressive foreign policy.

Guiliani's speaking out of turn to blast this assertion confirms in my mind that he is incapable of being President.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Washington Times is reporting that Bloomberg is likely going to jump in and spend $1,000,000,000 on a presidential run.

From what I've seen, he's liberal of social issues, and fiscally conservative, and actually has a chance against the field. In any case, a Bloomberg entry would make Election 2008 that much more interesting.

Another interesting part:

Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel, another independent-minded Republican, dined recently with Mr. Bloomberg and suggested on CBS' "Face the Nation" over the weekend that he and Mr. Bloomberg might make an independent run for the presidency.

Is anyone watching the Republican candidates' debate? Ron Paul just became my favorite in the Republican field by having the nerve to suggest that 9/11 resulted from America's aggressive foreign policy.

Guiliani's speaking out of turn to blast this assertion confirms in my mind that he is incapable of being President.

I didn't watch the debate tonight. I just hope the wind falls out of Giuliani's sails. His "I don't LIKE abortion but I respect the right to choose, but oh wait, I actually DON'T CARE EITHER WAY about trying to overturn Roe v. Wade" flip flopping is a joke. C'mon America! Get those 9/11 or throwing homeless onto LIRR trains images of him outta your head and see this nutjob for who he is! Get him outta there!

If Bloomberg enters the race I might have to vote for a Republican in a Presidential election for the first time. Do you guys think Bloomie could win over hardcore conservatives in Middle America?

Interesting, folks here seem to like Ron Paul out of the Republican field..........but Ron Paul is a LIBERTARIAN. He is running as a republican this time, but he has already run for pres as the Libertarian candidate twice.

Ron Paul is as much a Republican as I am. I have no idea why he wanted to throw his hat in with such a corrupt, immoral political party.

99.9% of Libertarians believe in legalizing all drugs, prostitution, gambling, gay marriage, etc etc etc. As the Lib candidate for pres twice, I am rather confident Ron Paul still holds his libertarian ideals.

I didn't watch the debate tonight. I just hope the wind falls out of Giuliani's sails. His "I don't LIKE abortion but I respect the right to choose, but oh wait, I actually DON'T CARE EITHER WAY about trying to overturn Roe v. Wade" flip flopping is a joke. C'mon America! Get those 9/11 or throwing homeless onto LIRR trains images of him outta your head and see this nutjob for who he is! Get him outta there!

If Bloomberg enters the race I might have to vote for a Republican in a Presidential election for the first time. Do you guys think Bloomie could win over hardcore conservatives in Middle America?

I am not intimately familiar with Guliani as I did not live near the NYC area during his reign, so can't dispute locals who have disparaging opinions of him, but what exactly makes him a nutjob? Serious question, not a challenge.

As far as Bloomberg, I actually prefer him though it matters little, he will not be able to run as a Republican - you don't have to worry about a situation of voting GOP for the first time. The radical and conservative elements of the GOP are arguably at their weakest right now, but not so weak as to allow a Democrat/liberal to run under their banner.

^ Well, right, that's my point, he can't run as a Republican and has already said his candidacy would be as an IND likely because of that.

Of course, that is equally problematic as I still don't think we're at the point where an IND candidate can win the presidency. One would hope that now more than ever it might be possible, but I still think he'd not break the 25% mark as an IND, and you'd probably see more dissention in the electoral college.

An independent ticket. What a concept! I welcome any "third party" into American politics. The two-party system has proven to be extremely divisive over the last few years.

Speaking of the two-party system, I'd recommend checking out the new documentary on Ralph Nader, An Unreasonable Man.

^ Yeah, Perot got close to 19% of the popular vote, but no electoral votes. It would really be nice to have a viable thrid party for the moderates, but the electoral college system would make it tougher for them to win. Perot did a lot better than I expected him to, so maybe America really is ready to abandon the two party system.

<crosses fingers>

^ Yeah, Perot got close to 19% of the popular vote, but no electoral votes. It would really be nice to have a viable thrid party for the moderates, but the electoral college system would make it tougher for them to win. Perot did a lot better than I expected him to, so maybe America really is ready to abandon the two party system.

<crosses fingers>

What did you folks think of the latest Rep debate?

I didn't see all of it, but Guilliani did the best IMHO. But those other guys, the unkowns, ex governors etc seemed as dour and sinister as ever. Would Reps really vote for such scary candidates as these? The ex governor of Wisconsin looks even more frightening and menacing than Cheney!

In my view, Guilliani and Ron Paul are the only ones in the whole bunch that have a comforting and reassuring presence. McCain will put you to sleep. And the other guys---- such as Thompson, Huckabee, and the governor of Massachusetts (with his $7 Intense Color Clairol shoe-black haircolor) will scare the bejesus out of you.

Archived