Buckhead Saloon

DPK

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good spot! I saw that on my way to the meetup yesterday. I have a feeling that area won't be redeveloped until Cherokee and TTA move forward on their plans for the old Dillon space along with the MTC. The closest activity planned in that area is the Nash two blks east. I think this might actually be better than Jillians... either way, it's being filled, which is an improvement.

Good spot! I saw that on my way to the meetup yesterday. I have a feeling that area won't be redeveloped until Cherokee and TTA move forward on their plans for the old Dillon space along with the MTC. The closest activity planned in that area is the Nash two blks east. I think this might actually be better than Jillians... either way, it's being filled, which is an improvement.

Looks like they are trying to become DTR's major sports bar, or at least on the west side--with Woody's holding down the east side. I never liked Jillian's much... am I reaching thinking this will be better? We also don't have a legit pool hall DT either since Jillian's (the only reason I'd go there--or video games) left, so maybe they'll bring that back. If they had 8-10 full size tables and some foosball, I'd go check it out.

If they split the old Jillians into three spaces, the middle (with an entrance from Harrington instead of East) could have been a good new space for Kings, with a seperate pool hall/sports bar in the southern building, and either retail or a coffee shop in the old "dance hall" part near Morgan Street..

The hardwood floors in the pool hall space were really nice when it first opened, but won't last long in Raleigh's new "party bar". Ugh. The website screams "meet/meat market".

It will be nice to get a few more pool/foosball tables sorely lacking downtown, but I am not sure if I would want to associate with anyone in those pictures. Will they resurrect the volleyball court? Shark coming out of the wall?

A big sports bar is needed, imo. if its anything like jillians i may not go as much. i've always liked playmakers up on hillsborough and since they have been under new management sometime last year, the place has been nicer.

i like ncwebguy's idea of splitting up the place. when jillian's was there they would close down the sections that were not being used. seemed like a waste of space.

the idea of king's moving in there isnt bad at all. or perhaps a new, larger venue that can bring larger acts and more crowds downtown. i read about the need for this in the triangle in this article in the independent.

He doesn't have exclusive rights on places like Raleigh's Meymandi Hall, and weekends at Disco Rodeo are no longer available for shows. Heath had to pass on Triangle engagements with The Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse and The Shins because he couldn't find a suitable space here for the right dates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got tickets in the mail a few days ago for a "VIP grand opening" of Buckhead on Friday. Not sure how much space they are taking, since they list Morgan Street as their entrance, as opposed to West Street or Harrington.

I also heard Vintige 21, a church that used to be next to/above Five Star, is taking part of the old Jillians space.

They moved to a building on Oberlin north of Darryls/Red hot and blue, but are now moving back downtown again.

I haven't been around that part of downtown in a while, so not sure if there are any signs of life on that block yet.

I was out there last night, not a bad place but not sure i'll go that often. I blogged about it on my website, there are some pics also. Here's a short excerpt:

A mountain lodge from deep in the forests of North Carolina has somehow crash landed in downtown Raleigh. BS has done a complete overhaul on the interior of the warehouse and has covered all the walls with enough wood to make you think you are in a log cabin. They even like to blast the air conditioning to give you that cold mountain feel (not really but it was a lil chilly in there). The old circle bar still remains from the Jillian

i actually signed up on their website when i first heard about it, i do that to all the bars around here. they sent me a blank membership card and tickets to get in, which i forgot that night but they let me in anyway.

i wasnt there late enough to see the band play. i dont see how they could pull off a kelly clarkson cover, you're right, it is wrong in so many ways. :rofl:

Archived