Ethnic Enclaves in Grand Rapids

I was thinking about restaurants in Grand Rapids, I like authentic Mexican food, and realized how these could only be found in certain areas. Most cities have different ethnic enclaves, and they can add flavor, but are they positive for the city? or should there be more intermingleing? Also, where are the different enclaves in Grand Rapids, is there a Greek Town or Little Italy?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about restaurants in Grand Rapids, I like authentic Mexican food, and realized how these could only be found in certain areas. Most cities have different ethnic enclaves, and they can add flavor, but are they positive for the city? or should there be more intermingleing? Also, where are the different enclaves in Grand Rapids, is there a Greek Town or Little Italy?

I think there is also an Asian influence in Wyoming/Kentwood with the many Asian grocers. Near downtown on the NW side (Bridge), there are a couple authentic Mexican places. As for Italian and Greek, I don't really see a certain area. There is a couple Mediterranean markets in Wyoming/Kentwood, but they are not all that great.

• 3 months later...

I don't think there is anything wrong with ethnic enclaves as long as they aren't forced or legislated upon people. You can't blame citizens though for wanting to live with other people they identify with, it's human nature. Many of America's greatest cities are noted by their ethnic enclaves. New York had Little Italy, Cincinnati had Over-the-Rhine, San Francisco has Chinatown, Cleveland has Slavic Village etc. Though they don't all exist today in their original state, they all were vital in the way their cities evolved grew physically and culturally.

I really hope poltical correctness will not discourage this. America is suppose to be a melting pot of cultures united in patriotism for the United States but instead, twisted political ideologies, are turning it into a country of no culture what so ever.

Grandville Ave and Burton Heights especially north of Burton were black communities when I was growing up and until 10-15? years ago. Godfrey - Lee was always a white blue collar neighborhood until the demise of the Kelvinator plant. I've watched those neighborhoods turn Latin-American over the past 10-15 years (many trips to the Hughart & Wyoming Yards train watching :thumbsup: )

Grandville Ave and Burton Heights especially north of Burton were black communities when I was growing up and until 10-15? years ago. Godfrey - Lee was always a white blue collar neighborhood until the demise of the Kelvinator plant. I've watched those neighborhoods turn Latin-American over the past 10-15 years (many trips to the Hughart & Wyoming Yards train watching :thumbsup: )

• 1 month later...

Archived