Stone Testaments to Atlanta's Old Skyline

ironchapman

Andrea might really like this one.

I found this while searching through the AJC this morning. It's the entire cover of the Sunday Living Section, so it's pretty hard to miss.

Remnants of the past

Preservation center plants stone testaments to old skyline

In a lot behind its office in Grant Park, the Atlanta Preservation Center has started a sculpture garden to display architectural remnants of landmarks long ago demolished

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IC, I do like this!! Thanks for the link. I just got back from Richmond and had forgotten how lovely it is Despite their losses in the war and to the later ravages of suburbanization and white flight, they've still preserved so much of the city. It has a genuine urban feel that's very hard to find in Atlanta.

There's not a whole lot left of old Atlanta and it's good to see folks at least preserving a few stray columns here and there.

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Andrea, just to let you know in Equitable Plaza in front of the Equitable building, they have 3 or 4 collums from the origional Equitable building displayed in the round island in the Plaza. It is very beautiful. This round stucture hides a Marta subway vent that many poeple don't know about. And at the North/South rail platfrom inside the Five Points MARTA station just as the train pulls into the northbound tunnel is the facade of one of Atlanta's historical buildings, it is also very beautiful and I wish they could have designed the station that way instead of the horrible and ugly giant cement slab that is the Five Points station. What was the architect thiniking about. Oh, I remember as a child walking down Broad Street after a day of shopping at Rich's and looking through the glass windows of the Federal Bake Shop, watching the ladies making cakes. The store was next to the First National Bank Tower (now 2 Peachtree Tower) a state office building. Why did they tare so much down to build the Five Points Station when they could have gone by the railroad glutch to infill for that station. Oh well it's to late to cry about that now, but we can try to portect what is left.

IC, I do like this!! Thanks for the link. I just got back from Richmond and had forgotten how lovely it is Despite their losses in the war and to the later ravages of suburbanization and white flight, they've still preserved so much of the city. It has a genuine urban feel that's very hard to find in Atlanta.

There's not a whole lot left of old Atlanta and it's good to see folks at least preserving a few stray columns here and there.

:thumbsup:

Man, you work fast, I just posted the part about the collums in the Equitable Plaza park in front of the Equitable Building, and the next day you have the picture. WOW! oh not to get off the subject but I see you like Benjamen Disraeli. Too bad he doesn't spell it Disraili. LOL! :thumbsup:

Man, you work fast, I just posted the part about the collums in the Equitable Plaza park in front of the Equitable Building, and the next day you have the picture. WOW! oh not to get off the subject but I see you like Benjamen Disraeli. Too bad he doesn't spell it Disraili. LOL! :thumbsup:

Archived