Downtown LR outside the River Market area

Cyd King's report from this morning also mentions that the fountain pictured here would be a thing of the past, should the plan be successful to bring in Ruth's Chris.  That's less of a concern, as I see it, than ensuring the viability of a structure above the parking garage — also noted in the article.

Having some open space in a historic area is a concern to me. Any city official, elected or otherwise, who votes for this should be fired or impeached. We have numerous restaurants in town that serve steaks. I've been to one Ruth's Chris and thought the atmosphere was more like a family type of place rather that a businessman's destination. Their food isn't nearly as good as Sonny William's.

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

Central Arkansas office vacancy rates for the third quarter of 2015 shows the downtown LR area being 5.9 percent. At this level I would expect new construction to be announced if this level holds. In an Arkansas Business article on the subject they quote a representative of MT saying they see office development possible in downtown, mid-town, and west Little Rock as well as downtown NLR.

Central Arkansas office vacancy rates for the third quarter of 2015 shows the downtown LR area being 5.9 percent. At this level I would expect new construction to be announced if this level holds. In an Arkansas Business article on the subject they quote a representative of MT saying they see office development possible in downtown, mid-town, and west Little Rock as well as downtown NLR.

It would be nice to see some larger buildings go up. Maybe in the 10-12 story range. The Tower Building will also have a big chunk of space available when the Dept. of Arkansas Heritage move to their new building.

It would be nice to see some larger buildings go up. Maybe in the 10-12 story range. The Tower Building will also have a big chunk of space available when the Dept. of Arkansas Heritage move to their new building.

Does anyone know if the office space in the Tower Building is considered class "A"?

Does anyone know if the office space in the Tower Building is considered class "A"?

Good question.  That building has SO much potential, but honestly, its interior is very tired.  I'm surprised that it hasn't received a significant interior upgrade.  It would make a very cool retro mid-Century Modern office space that would appeal to a broad constituency of tenants in today's market.  Does anyone else remember the cool sunscreens that used to adorn the exterior?  I'll bet they regret removing those now!

Edited by Architect

Good question.  That building has SO much potential, but honestly, its interior is very tired.  I'm surprised that it hasn't received a significant interior upgrade.  It would make a very cool retro mid-Century Modern office space that would appeal to a broad constituency of tenants in today's market.  Does anyone else remember the cool sunscreens that used to adorn the exterior?  I'll bet they regret removing those now!

The screens did give the building a different look. The parking deck next to it on Louisiana looks like it has seen better days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

January 19th is the opening date for The Food Truck Stop@Station801. A former gas station will become home to a place where a number of food trucks can serve up their magic. You will be able to pick up or a seating area inside will provide free Wi-Fi and large screen tv's. It will also be the home of Brown Sugar Bakeshop's new retail location. It will be located at 801 Chester a block from Vino's.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Smith said:

The Shell station at 8th and Broadway is no more. It has been demolished to make way for what plumbing permits are calling a Coulsen Oil Store and THV11 called a Road Runner gas station.

This is to distinguish it from the other C-store format operated by Coulson, the company's Super Stop locations, which have less stringent requirements for operation than the Road Runner franchise.

20 hours ago, Smith said:

The Shell station at 8th and Broadway is no more. It has been demolished to make way for what plumbing permits are calling a Coulsen Oil Store and THV11 called a Road Runner gas station.

Interesting.  I guess they are having to step up their game to keep up with Murphy USA and Kum N Go stores.  The facebook page shows that Coulson bought RoadRunner in 2012 and has been slowing upgrading the SuperStops to Roadrunner Stores.  Texarkana, Fayetteville and Conway have been converted to RoadRunners. 

1 hour ago, Arkanzin said:

Interesting.  I guess they are having to step up their game to keep up with Murphy USA and Kum N Go stores.  The facebook page shows that Coulson bought RoadRunner in 2012 and has been slowing upgrading the SuperStops to Roadrunner Stores.  Texarkana, Fayetteville and Conway have been converted to RoadRunners. 

That Shell definitely needed some upgrades; I was sitting here staring at the work site out my office window trying to figure out what they were gonna do.  I guess a nicer gas station is better than a parking lot?  

20 minutes ago, Gentileking said:

That Shell definitely needed some upgrades; I was sitting here staring at the work site out my office window trying to figure out what they were gonna do.  I guess a nicer gas station is better than a parking lot?  

I believe the plan is for the pumps to be along the back (west) side so that the building is what fronts Broadway. It's definitely needed. Very cramped space right now.

On 9/21/2016 at 11:25 AM, Gentileking said:

Better to have a nicer gas station than another pay-by-the-hour parking lot OR yet more mini-storage units.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Arkansas Business is reporting that Ballet Arkansas is finally moving into it's space on Main St. in the Creative Corridor after 5 years. They had to get a $50,000 grant from the city to finish out their space. Reed really left a lot of people hanging with the lack of finishing his projects. The Arkansas Symphony Orchestra is still waiting on it's space to be completed. They are going to do like the ballet and Cranford & Co., finish their space out on their own.

On 10/20/2016 at 2:55 AM, theman said:

Arkansas Business is reporting that Ballet Arkansas is finally moving into it's space on Main St. in the Creative Corridor after 5 years. They had to get a $50,000 grant from the city to finish out their space. Reed really left a lot of people hanging with the lack of finishing his projects. The Arkansas Symphony Orchestra is still waiting on it's space to be completed. They are going to do like the ballet and Cranford & Co., finish their space out on their own.

The symphony has been let out of their contract with Reed.  They will likely never be able to locate into the space that was made for them which is a shame because they were supposed to be the primary creative element of the "creative corridor".  Reed has really screwed everyone.  His tenants, his partners, and the city.  He's botched the last two efforts of other parties to buy the properties from him and was a strong reason why the State of Arkansas changed its historic rehabilitation tax credits.  He might have had good intentions from the beginning but has really been a huge detriment to Main Street Little Rock.  I very much hope he allows the sale of his properties to go through so he can pack his bag and go back to Oregon.

24 minutes ago, LRretail said:

The symphony has been let out of their contract with Reed.  They will likely never be able to locate into the space that was made for them which is a shame because they were supposed to be the primary creative element of the "creative corridor".  Reed has really screwed everyone.  His tenants, his partners, and the city.  He's botched the last two efforts of other parties to buy the properties from him and was a strong reason why the State of Arkansas changed its historic rehabilitation tax credits.  He might have had good intentions from the beginning but has really been a huge detriment to Main Street Little Rock.  I very much hope he allows the sale of his properties to go through so he can pack his bag and go back to Oregon.

What a tragic end to such a promising section of Main.  Isn't this the same song, second verse for an earlier out-of-town developer on Main with respect to the whole block that contains the Lafayette Hotel, etc from the early 2000's?

• 9 months later...
11 hours ago, skirby said:

Building between Main and Louisiana on 6th getting a little love.

7zn3j5.jpg

That is being renovated to become the new apartment for the priests at the Cathedral of St. Andrew. The rectory had been turned into classrooms and meeting spaces with the last priest and he lived off site. The new priest wants to live back onsite so instead of going back in the old space, they decided to use this one. They own it already and is just used as storage. It is connected to the back of their reception hall. I worked there several years ago and that building is pretty neat. The upstairs had several boxes of Chamber of Commerce newsletters from the 1950s. The bottom is one large space with the nice store front windows.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

In their latest annual report the LRCVB says that the Statehouse Convention Center will have to be looked at in 5 or so years for expansion if the center wants to attract larger conventions or multiple meetings at the same time. Where will the expansion occur? Will another convention center hotel be needed? I would think so and how many rooms? Is an expansion even needed?

• 4 weeks later...