Downtown LR outside the River Market area

This summer AT&T will be vacating its namesake building at 1111 W.  Capitol. The new  owner intends to redevelop the building for a number of uses including office, retail, living etc. The ten story building consist of  370,500 + square feet. There are a number of options the developer is looking at including opening up the middle of the building to the outside and adding a 700 plus space parking deck. If this happens it will be a much needed addition for that section of Capitol Ave.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stephens Inc. is buying a couple of buildings on Louisiana St. between 2nd and 3rd for the space for additional parking. Apparently the parking deck that serves the Stephens building is full. Don’t know if it’s going to be surface parking or another deck.

9 hours ago, theman said:

Stephens Inc. is buying a couple of buildings on Louisiana St. between 2nd and 3rd for the space for additional parking. Apparently the parking deck that serves the Stephens building is full. Don’t know if it’s going to be surface parking or another deck.

It sounds like the Hyden, Miron & Foster law firm will be on the move, if that's the case.  Their main building on the corner of 2nd and Louisiana adjoins a 109-year-old building at 212 Louisiana, with the former Vratsinas Construction Company headquarters on the other side further south. (VCC moved to Riverdale within the last year.)  You'd think the easier move would've been to buy the surface lot that faces 3rd, and add a deck there (and maybe ground floor shops, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one).

Has anyone taken note of the new McDonald's on Broadway?!  I'm very disappointed with the city's approval of this layout...it is a completely sub-urban setup - a box in the middle of a parking lot - RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF DOWNTOWN Little Rock!!!  This is arguably the center of the state, and it fails its urban setting.  I don't see why they couldn't have at least required them to place the east end at the Broadway sidewalk.  Sheeeesh....

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

It sounds like the Hyden, Miron & Foster law firm will be on the move, if that's the case.  Their main building on the corner of 2nd and Louisiana adjoins a 109-year-old building at 212 Louisiana, with the former Vratsinas Construction Company headquarters on the other side further south. (VCC moved to Riverdale within the last year.)  You'd think the easier move would've been to buy the surface lot that faces 3rd, and add a deck there (and maybe ground floor shops, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one).

They have relocated to the former American Cancer Society Building on North University.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Architect said:

I concur with others.  If this was a "structured" parking project with ground level retail/office, then great.  But this is SURFACE parking!  Here's hoping that the city doesn't approve this.

It has been reported the land purchased totaled $4.4 million. I think that is a steep price for just a parking lot.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Architect said:

I concur with others.  If this was a "structured" parking project with ground level retail/office, then great.  But this is SURFACE parking!  Here's hoping that the city doesn't approve this.

The city is not going to do anything to upset Stephens. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, theman said:

Read in the Democrat-Gazette that now two members of the planning commission are against making that a parking lot and approval has been delayed for a month. It’s probably still going to happen but the last thing downtown needs is another parking lot.

Doesn't do much good to be against it after the buildings are already down. Stephens will always win unfortunately.

• 6 months later...

KATV is reporting that the Little Rock Club on the top floor of the Regions building will be closing permanently. They cited never fully recovering membership after the 2008 crisis and now not being able to meet as reasons for closure. Another one bites the dust. 

KATV is reporting that the Little Rock Club on the top floor of the Regions building will be closing permanently. They cited never fully recovering membership after the 2008 crisis and now not being able to meet as reasons for closure. Another one bites the dust. 

Unfortunate, but perhaps someone will reopen it as a more accessible restaurant once things return somewhat to normal. It would seem there’s going to be a fair amount of carnage from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Walls99 said:

I didn’t even know it existed. Looking at the pictures online, it basically just looks like a banquet room. I’m sure someone will take over the space and have it available to rent out again soon. 

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Chick-Fil-A is reportedly building on the site of the former McDonald's location at 7th and Broadway.  It will be a drive-thru only location.  The site of the location will encompass the former McDonald's property as well as the property located directly east of there, the former site of Ciao's and Bill's Lock and Safe(?).  This will allow entrance and exit from Broadway as well as Spring Street.  

4 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

Chick-Fil-A is reportedly building on the site of the former McDonald's location at 7th and Broadway.  It will be a drive-thru only location.  The site of the location will encompass the former McDonald's property as well as the property located directly east of there, the former site of Ciao's and Bill's Lock and Safe(?).  This will allow entrance and exit from Broadway as well as Spring Street.  

Wow!!!  Excellent news!  I work downtown, and my wallet may take a hit during breakfast, ha!  Strange that this is now their SECOND drive-through only location in Central Arkansas (including the new "rebuilt" location currently under construction on Markham across the street from Park Plaza - which to me is an odd location to do drive-through only, given the physical presence of shoppers in significant numbers).

Furthermore, GREAT to see the old McDonald's site being reused, as it's an eyesore in its current state.

p.s.  Anyone else remember when Chick-fil-a had a WALKUP storefront location downtown right on Capitol Avenue?

6 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

I hope they don't tear down those storefronts just to replace them with asphalt.  It's fine if they make use of the parking lot behind it, but suburbanizing downtown even further is not what is needed.  

• Like 1

I hope they don't tear down those storefronts just to replace them with asphalt.  It's fine if they make use of the parking lot behind it, but suburbanizing downtown even further is not what is needed.  

Agreed. I believe this is zoned UU and so short of some variance (like the new McDonalds), it’s supposed to front the street creating an urban edge.

Just now, Architect said:

Agreed. I believe this is zoned UU and so short of some variance (like the new McDonalds), it’s supposed to front the street creating an urban edge.

I hope so,  Downtown doesn't need to lose any more buildings.  There's too many surface parking lots as is.  I hated that Stephens tore down half a city block, just to build a parking lot.  Those buildings with the playing card suits on them were pretty cool.