Downtown LR outside the River Market area

On 2/22/2023 at 10:01 PM, MDC26 said:

As you noted, this is only for planning, but there does seem to be a lot of momentum for this.  Let's hope the feds see it that way and that they'll ultimately provide grants for what is likely a $100M plus project.  While I think it would be interesting, the better place would be across I-630...that's the real scar through downtown.

1 hour ago, Architect said:

As you noted, this is only for planning, but there does seem to be a lot of momentum for this.  Let's hope the feds see it that way and that they'll ultimately provide grants for what is likely a $100M plus project.  While I think it would be interesting, the better place would be across I-630...that's the real scar through downtown.

I think why this area on I-30, as opposed to 630, is that with the new construction, they are making this area lid-ready.  There may be more work required on 630 to even consider putting a lid there.  

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I think why this area on I-30, as opposed to 630, is that with the new construction, they are making this area lid-ready.  There may be more work required on 630 to even consider putting a lid there.  

Perhaps...it's also related to the fact that they can tie the need to an ongoing, new project and its impact, unlike I-630 which was effectively constructed 40 years ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, bigbank10x said:

DYNE Hospitality Group is opening a new Tropical Smoothie Cafe on 322 Broadway St. on June 23, 2023

https://www.franchising.com/news/20230619_dyne_hospitality_group_opens_new_tropical_smoothie_cafe_in_little_rock_mark.html

Broadway has turned into a total drive-thru centric street in the middle of downtown.  There's Sonic, Simmons Bank, Starbucks, Popeye's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Rally's, Centennial Bank, Jimmy John's, Chick-fil-a, McDonalds, and Tropical Smoothie. 

The gas station actually has a decent urban design.  

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:07 PM, MDC26 said:

Broadway has turned into a total drive-thru centric street in the middle of downtown.  There's Sonic, Simmons Bank, Starbucks, Popeye's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Rally's, Centennial Bank, Jimmy John's, Chick-fil-a, McDonalds, and Tropical Smoothie. 

The gas station actually has a decent urban design.  

I cannot believe how the city has completely abdicated their own Urban Use (UU) zoning requirements for Broadway.  I mean, I get it farther south towards Broadway to an extent, but that Tropical Smoothie is just an absolute travesty.   It looks like an outparcel in Maumelle.  Entirely inappropriate, to ruin the long-term urban fabric of the center of the city in exchange for a few near-term tax revenue dollars.  Ridiculous.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Architect said:

I cannot believe how the city has completely abdicated their own Urban Use (UU) zoning requirements for Broadway.  I mean, I get it farther south towards Broadway to an extent, but that Tropical Smoothie is just an absolute travesty.   It looks like an outparcel in Maumelle.  Entirely inappropriate, to ruin the long-term urban fabric of the center of the city in exchange for a few near-term tax revenue dollars.  Ridiculous.

It was horrible to let Stephens tear down 4 buildings in the heart of downtown to put in a surface lot, then I thought it was bad to let Chick-fil-a tear down a whole block of store fronts. 

• Like 1

Deeply saddened that this part of downtown has become a suburb.  Was hoping when development did eventually hit that area  that it would be urban/street fronts, not another tiny building like the McD on 6th, pushed away from the street, in the middle of the parking lot...in the middle of an area that could greatly benefit from urban developments.  Hate that so much of the grid is being wasted.  There is so much potential.

16 hours ago, bigbank10x said:

Deeply saddened that this part of downtown has become a suburb.  Was hoping when development did eventually hit that area  that it would be urban/street fronts, not another tiny building like the McD on 6th, pushed away from the street, in the middle of the parking lot...in the middle of an area that could greatly benefit from urban developments.  Hate that so much of the grid is being wasted.  There is so much potential.

I expect that the upcoming downtown master plan will call out the city for this shortsighted methodology.  Here's hoping that the city will then comply with its own master plan guidelines.

On 6/23/2023 at 12:33 AM, MDC26 said:

It was horrible to let Stephens tear down 4 buildings in the heart of downtown to put in a surface lot, then I thought it was bad to let Chick-fil-a tear down a whole block of store fronts. 

That block is planned for an 8-level parking deck I believe.

• 1 month later...

The Arkansas Attorney General has announced that his office will be moving into the Boyle Building at Capitol and Main. Renovations will be directed by Moses Tucker with plans to start later this month and lasting until late next year.

2 minutes ago, skirby said:

The Arkansas Attorney General has announced that his office will be moving into the Boyle Building at Capitol and Main. Renovations will be directed by Moses Tucker with plans to start later this month and lasting until late next year.

Plans also include a  restaurant and coffee bar on the first floor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skirby said:

Plans also include a  restaurant and coffee bar on the first floor.

It’s great that a magnificent older building, that has sat empty for years, will be restored.    However, this will just cause a large vacancy in the 6th tallest building, while the 2nd & 3rd tallest buildings already have vacancy issues.  I really think the Boyle and Donaghey buildings are best suited to be converted to residential, while Regions, Bank of America, and Tower buildings are not suited for residential and best use is commercial.

Overall, a net positive as it will remove blight and restore the beauty of the building. 

18 hours ago, ndark said:

Wasn't the Boyle Building planned to be an Aloft years ago but it fell through?  That would have been a nice addition to that part of town and really helped to bridge the gap between downtown Main Street and the Main Street across 630.  

Yes, I read that in one of the articles.  It was around 2017.  They started the demo, then stopped all of a sudden as something fell through.  

On 8/11/2023 at 10:39 AM, MDC26 said:

Yes, I read that in one of the articles.  It was around 2017.  They started the demo, then stopped all of a sudden as something fell through.  

Yeah, it had to do with some (short sighted) agreement that the hotel would NOT proceed until if/when the whole rest of the block was developed.  Seemed like a strange requirement, and when the developer either couldn't or didn't proceed with renovating the south half of the block, the hotel didn't proceed.  Really unfortunate...I would almost have preferred that site be a hip hotel as to another office property that is competing with already strained office towers downtown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Architect said:

Yeah, it had to do with some (short sighted) agreement that the hotel would NOT proceed until if/when the whole rest of the block was developed.  Seemed like a strange requirement, and when the developer either couldn't or didn't proceed with renovating the south half of the block, the hotel didn't proceed.  Really unfortunate...I would almost have preferred that site be a hip hotel as to another office property that is competing with already strained office towers downtown.

I agree but something to consider is  the building will no longer be vacant. Also, would the AC Hotel have opened up if there was an operating hotel in this building. I look forward to see what type of restaurant opens in the building. Let's hope it adds to the collection of operating restaurants  on the 300 block of Main.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:26 PM, skirby said:

I agree but something to consider is  the building will no longer be vacant. Also, would the AC Hotel have opened up if there was an operating hotel in this building. I look forward to see what type of restaurant opens in the building. Let's hope it adds to the collection of operating restaurants  on the 300 block of Main.

I don't mind it not being a hotel, but I think residential with ground floor retail would have been more beneficial, as now it's just going to create office vacancy in the Tower Building.  However, it's an overall net positive.  

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I don't mind it not being a hotel, but I think residential with ground floor retail would have been more beneficial, as now it's just going to create office vacancy in the Tower Building.  However, it's an overall net positive.  

Agreed...I wasn't advocating for a hotel as much as I was lamenting it was office space, which is already oversaturated AND won't add any life after hours to Main Street.  If it were apartments, it would have accomplished that goal, perhaps better than a hotel.

Just now, Architect said:

Agreed...I wasn't advocating for a hotel as much as I was lamenting it was office space, which is already oversaturated AND won't add any life after hours to Main Street.  If it were apartments, it would have accomplished that goal, perhaps better than a hotel.

Hopefully someone will come and convert the Donaghey Building to residential 

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Hopefully someone will come and convert the Donaghey Building to residential 

About 6-7 years ago, the prior (current?) owner had developed a full set of construction documents for the entire renovation of Donaghey.  I've seen them...pretty impressive.  At the last minute, they bailed.  I have no idea why not.  Beautiful building and potential.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, theman said:

Noticed that the 200 West sign is now atop the former Bank of America building.

I noticed that last weekend.  It is color changing.  However, I REALLY WISH the new owners would go back and restore the original strips that used to alight every window around the building.  It could be done even more efficiently with LED and of course now could be programmed to create images (like the traditional Christmas Tree) rather than physically wrapping fluorescent tubes with colored shrouds.

p.s.  A little birdie told me that there is a new lighting scheme planned to adorn the top of the Simmons Bank Tower.