Downtown LR outside the River Market area

Oh good grief! Another complaint about a building "being too tall" downtown?! What a crock of steaming you know what...

I agree. There are a number of buildings taller than this around the Capitol. 45 feet up to 75 feet is all that is allowed. What were the people thinking when they came up with these restrictions?

I agree. There are a number of buildings taller than this around the Capitol. 45 feet up to 75 feet is all that is allowed. What were the people thinking when they came up with these restrictions?

I was wondering that myself. I understand having limits in that area (and limits there should be used to help encourage any larger buildings being located more in the heart of downtown), but 5 stories (3 without a variance) is very, very low. I would think nothing under 10 in that area should be a real issue.

I was wondering that myself. I understand having limits in that area (and limits there should be used to help encourage any larger buildings being located more in the heart of downtown), but 5 stories (3 without a variance) is very, very low. I would think nothing under 10 in that area should be a real issue.

Is it possible the restrictions in that area (around the capitol) exist so that buildings aren't constructed that directly compete with it or block it entirely on the skyline. I ask only because of Washington, DC's height restrictions that are in place so that no building competes with the various monuments, etc.

Is it possible the restrictions in that area (around the capitol) exist so that buildings aren't constructed that directly compete with it or block it entirely on the skyline. I ask only because of Washington, DC's height restrictions that are in place so that no building competes with the various monuments, etc.

I thought about that, and that would make sense to me, but that area is hardly level. It seems like certain streets at lower elevations in that immediate area could be zoned for buildings twice the height of the district's rules without impacting the view of the Capitol. I'm sure they had reasons, it just seems a bit extreme to me.

Interesting I didn't know any other city in the state besides Fayetteville that had building height restrictions. Are there restrictions only for that section of Little Rock or are there varying restrictions around the city?

Varying restrictions. I wasn't aware of the Capitol area's restrictions, but they have similar rules along the River Market district too. That is what caused all the fuss with the potential Aloft hotel downtown a few years back, apparently. Personally, I think the height restrictions at the River Market are foolish since there are already reasonably tall buildings at the end of it and as long as the first few floors are designed to blend with the district there, the "atmosphere" of the area shouldn't be negatively impacted.

• 3 months later...

The old KARK 4 building is now history. I hope this property doesn't stay a parking lot very long.

What a captivating shot...the perspective and sun angle (and color) make the Tower Building look like something else altogether, and it doesn't even look like Little Rock! In fact, it makes the Tower Building look like it still has the yellow panels it had originally (instead of the now "grey" panels)!

• 1 month later...

I noticed this afternoon that there were workers at the site of the new "Box". The Box was located on Main Street and is moving to its new location at 7th Street at Ringo.

I wonder if 7th Street could become a new entertainment district. There's already Vino's, Weekend Theater, and now the Box is opening soon. There seems to be quite a few empty buildings along 7th Street that could be renovated to provide locations for restaurants or music venues. And there is quite a few more parking spaces in the area than at the Rivermarket.

Just a thought.

7th Street Tattoo has moved to its new location, site of a former beauty school/college. Looks like a much larger location.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Arkansas Business reports that the NLR owners of the Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches franchise will tear down the old building at the SW corner of Broadway and 7th Street that once housed the Millionaire’s Room and build a new Jimmy John’s restaurant in its place. They should be open for business by October.

Arkansas Business reports that the NLR owners of the Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches franchise will tear down the old building at the SW corner of Broadway and 7th Street that once housed the Millionaire’s Room and build a new Jimmy John’s restaurant in its place. They should be open for business by October.

The building is already gone.

Another view of the now vacant property where the KARK 4 building was. This is looking east on Spring Street. Also, part of the block on the west side of Spring was also demolished.

dsc00451l.jpg

These properties on 3rd are up for zoning changes so they can be turned into parking lots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The idea of expanding down to Roosevelt is perhaps the more ambitious notion. If that can get some steam behind it — and the timing could very well be right, with the discussions to enhance branding and better manage development throughout the Quapaw Quarter — it could dramatically alter that part of the city.

While I see that as a real possibility, it'd be cool to see an extension along 7th — where the OLD streetcar once ran — if not directly into Hillcrest.

The idea of expanding down to Roosevelt is perhaps the more ambitious notion.  If that can get some steam behind it — and the timing could very well be right, with the discussions to enhance branding and better manage development throughout the Quapaw Quarter — it could dramatically alter that part of the city.

While I see that as a real possibility, it'd be cool to see an extension along 7th — where the OLD streetcar once ran — if not directly into Hillcrest.

I would LOVE if the trolley went to Hillcrest again, but that would be a really long route for it to go. Still, it'd be fun to eat in Hillcrest and take the trolley to the Rivermarket to catch a concert or go to a bar (or vice versa), and it'd certainly be easier than trying to find parking. In the more immediate future though, I'd like to see the trolley go down main and loop back up Scott or Cumberland. I think with Main starting to get some activity going it could help encourage new business and development in that part of town.

• 2 months later...

The former Arkansas Baptist State Convention building downtown (525 W. Capitol) is being used to secure a $6.6 million for "construction financing" according the Arkansas Business. I may have missed it somewhere along the way, but does anyone know what they're up to? Building remodel or expansion or something?