Downtown LR outside the River Market area

The meeting about the Broadway Bridge replacement is happening downtown right now, but I wanted to provide the link to the design options and landing page on here for those interested.

Main page:

http://arkansashighways.com/broadwaybridge.aspx

Judging by cost projections, time of construction, and that they've only drawn up renderings for a few options, it looks like cable-stayed is out and the double arch apparently isn't too likely either. Of what they're showing, I think a Plate Girder 1B with some of the finishes from 1A would be the best option if the finishes are nice and architecturally appropriate accent lighting is done. I don't care for the single arch at all, looks too similar to what is there now, and what is there now isn't attractive on the arch end at all.

• 5 months later...

• 8 months later...

MacArthur Dog Park opens this Saturday

--You're invited! Join us for the Grand Opening of the MacArthur Unleashed Dog Park! The ceremony will take place Saturday, March 30 at 12:40 p.m. While there take part in the Easter Egg Hunt for dogs sponsored by Angels Care across the road. Registration begins at 12 noon in the Foster Pavilion with the hunt starting at 1 p.m. following our Grand Opening event. We can't wait!--

602874_346390172148878_1676359497_n.jpg

The parking lot to the west of the Blass Building has been empty for the past week. The plumbing permits for the Blass Building, parking deck, and annex were recently issued. Looks like the construction and renovation will begin soon.

I implore the mighty AHTD and appeal to all that is decent and humane, for the love of the earth, PLEASE do not paint this bridge tan and brown (like the new Big Rock I-430/I-630 interchange).  It's not 1970.  Thank you.

p.s.  All white or silver and white would be great.

• 2 months later...

Scott Reed is in the process of purchasing two building  on the southside of the 200 block of West Capitol. To be known as Capitol Lofts the redevelopment will contain 56 apartments and retail at street level. One of the buildings is 5 story and the other is 3 story. Reed is also involved with two other projects on Main Street. When completed there will be over 200 residential units with two blocks of Main and Capitol.

Those two buildings have definetly been a dead spot on an otherwise occupied and vibrant (at least during the work day) Capitol Ave between Main & Broadway.  There is room for a parking deck to serve these spaces to be built on the back side of the buildings on 6th Street between the Lafayette Square building and the building that houses Italian Kitchen/LULAV and EJ's.

I'd feel more confident if this was a Moses Tucker project, as Scott Reed's other projects on Main haven't seemed to make much progress, but hopefully this actually happens.   

Those two buildings have definitely been a dead spot on an otherwise occupied and vibrant (at least during the work day) Capitol Ave between Main & Broadway.  There is room for a parking deck to serve these spaces to be built on the back side of the buildings on 6th Street between the Lafayette Square building and the building that houses Italian Kitchen/LULAV and EJ's.

I'd feel more confident if this was a Moses Tucker project, as Scott Reed's other projects on Main haven't seemed to make much progress, but hopefully this actually happens.   

Two things:  

1) The potential of adding a parking deck behind the Hall-Davidson buildings would help address one of the primary negatives for those living in and considering living in the Lafayette Building.  I can recall more than a few guests mentioning that issue during a couple of the "Destination Downtown" home tours held in recent years by the Downtown Partnership and the Democrat-Gazette.

2) I'm also hopeful the buildings themselves see a full-fledged revival, especially after past efforts to shore up the street-level retail spaces.  Hanaroo is a bright spot, but I still miss the art gallery Oval, and the closing of Sterling dealt an even larger blow.  Perhaps the timing will be better with an improving economy and increasing activity on Main Street, and prove that a rising tide lifts all boats.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Hall  and Davidson buildings, located in the 200 block of Capitol Ave., will be redeveloped into the Capitol Lofts. This will include 56 apartments and ground floor commerical. The location is just one block west of Main St. and  is located in the CBD. Opening planned for the end of 2014 or early 2015.

5tfv.jpg

Awesome news. Capitol is a great street that feels active during the day and adding residential there just makes sense. (Plus that building is beautiful from the 2nd floor up.) It should help the Main Street merchants and interest in leasing retail space on Capitol too. Lots of progress going on downtown right now!

• 4 months later...

The Hall  and Davidson buildings, located in the 200 block of Capitol Ave., will be redeveloped into the Capitol Lofts. This will include 56 apartments and ground floor commerical. The location is just one block west of Main St. and  is located in the CBD. Opening planned for the end of 2014 or early 2015.

5tfv.jpg

Donnie Ferneau will be opening a restaurant to be known as The Still in this building.  The Layfette Building just down Louisiana Street is under new ownership and plans call for a restaurant to be located in the lobby area. Both of these will be within two blocks of Main.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

o

The Southern Gourmasian food truck announced a brick and mortar location at 219 W. Capitol.  Looks like that is the old Sterling building.  Hopefully it will last longer than Hot Dog Mike's storefront attempt.

I agree that it would be nice to see Southern Gourmasian successfully transition to a permanent location. What may help that is its prospective neighbors.  Hanaroo has done very well in the same block, to the point of expanding from their original space.  Elsewhere in the block, Donnie Fernau's forthcoming restaurant — separate from his venture in the former Argenta Market — is still planned to happen, and All-American Wings is said to be considering reopening in their former space. The 200 block of W. Capitol Avenue could soon be a very thriving restaurant row, with its proximity to well-heeled bankers on the same street.

o

I agree that it would be nice to see Southern Gourmasian successfully transition to a permanent location. What may help that is its prospective neighbors.  Hanaroo has done very well in the same block, to the point of expanding from their original space.  Elsewhere in the block, Donnie Fernau's forthcoming restaurant — separate from his venture in the former Argenta Market — is still planned to happen, and All-American Wings is said to be considering reopening in their former space. The 200 block of W. Capitol Avenue could soon be a very thriving restaurant row, with its proximity to well-heeled bankers on the same street.

I wonder if restaurant owners are trying to get in place before the Aloft opens two blocks over.  Speaking of the Aloft, the owner said they have a restaurant  planned which will be a national brand. 

I wonder if restaurant owners are trying to get in place before the Aloft opens two blocks over.  Speaking of the Aloft, the owner said they have a restaurant  planned which will be a national brand. 

National brand restaurant at Aloft...interesting.  Let the speculation begin!

Fine, I'll start. Ruth's Chris. The Capital Grille. Texas de Brazil. Morton's. Houston's. McCormick & Schmick's.

Houston's definitely came to mind.  Is there some corporate tie with Houston's and Hilton Hotels?  It seems like the only Houston's I have seen in hotels were Hilton Hotels.  Maybe it's just the small number of Houston's I've seen.  

Ruth's Chris would be good.

Yardhouse seems to be expanding.  I was impressed with the food at Yardhouse when I ate there a couple of months ago.  I would compare it to Cheesecake Factory.

Speaking of Cheesecake Factory, that would be a good candidate, too. 

Here is the quote from Jacob Chi of Aloft:

"We'll have a restaurant on the bottom floor, on the lobby floor and it will be a national brand. We expect it to be a very significant restaurant presence." Chi says the franchise that's chosen will not disappoint. "We're earmarking that piece to be a place where everybody goes that's where I want to go to dinner."

Do any of the restaurants mentioned serve breakfast? Looking at them I doubt it. So what does the Aloft do about breakfast, have a separate coffee shop?

It will probably be Ruth's Chris.  There's been one in Rogers for several years now.  

After visiting the Aloft in Rogers, I don't think Ruth's Chris is what the owners are looking for.

Do any of the restaurants mentioned serve breakfast? Looking at them I doubt it. So what does the Aloft do about breakfast, have a separate coffee shop?

After visiting the Aloft in Rogers, I don't think Ruth's Chris is what the owners are looking for.

A coffee shop has been mentioned in the plans. As for the restaurant I would like to see the owner work with the people at Yellow Rocket Concepts and come up with something unique for the Aloft.

A coffee shop has been mentioned in the plans. As for the restaurant I would like to see the owner work with the people at Yellow Rocket Concepts and come up with something unique for the Aloft.

I don't believe many travelers choose a hotel based on the restaurant. Little Rock has several successful restauranteurs who could fashion a venue to compliment the Aloft.