VA Tech Shooting

vdogg

Kind of heart-wrenching and poignant at the same time. He really hits the nail on the head - he describes Virginia and Virginians to the fullest extent.

In unfortunate news, apparently Fred Roper and Shirley Phelps-Roper (from that "church" out West that protests at the funerals of fallen soldiers... yea, wonderful people) intend to do much their usual acts at the funerals for VT students. I wrote a lengthy set of letters to Governor Kaine, Senator Warner and my local Rep hoping to find legal grounds for either the prevention of their protests or their arrests. I just can not believe some people in this world...

If you want to message Gov. Kaine, here's the link http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheG...actGovernor.cfm .

I wish I had a link to a news agency covering Roper/Phelps-Roper and their crusade against all that is good in the world, but it should not be hard to find...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These people have been doing this all over the country for quite some time. I don't think anyone has had any luck in keeping them away, the only thing that can be done is make them stay so far away from a certain ceremony. There is a documentary, I think you can watch the whole thing either on youtube or google video, called The Most Hated Family in America by the BBC.

Here's the first part. You can get the links to the other parts from there...

There are some people counseling just can't help. I have no idea what could make a person that disturbed. Was he bullied? Was he molested? Just a screw missing? I'm sure his family feels just as terrible as everyone else if not more. I'm sure they had no idea what was going through his head.

they've been banned from funerals in national cemetaries, but the other ones are not run by the federal gov't. the state of VA (or wherever the people are buried) would have to do something about it.

they actually have something on their website (and on teh wikipedia article) about the VT tragedy. if their site (godhatesamerica.com) doesn't work, you can use the google cache. i refuse to link to it here though.

I don't understand why people think it's acceptable for mentally ill people to be able to buy weapons. I understand that everyone is still mourning, but when I heard the president say, "There's nothing I can do..." I thought to myself, "Are you insane?" He can start by doing anything that might prevent this type of tragedy from happening again. "It's a slippery slope, it's a slippery slope..." that's all gun fanatics have to say to these grieving parents. I think we can do better than this.

I don't understand why people think it's acceptable for mentally ill people to be able to buy weapons. I understand that everyone is still mourning, but when I heard the president say, "There's nothing I can do..." I thought to myself, "Are you insane?" He can start by doing anything that might prevent this type of tragedy from happening again. "It's a slippery slope, it's a slippery slope..." that's all gun fanatics have to say to these grieving parents. I think we can do better than this.

I'm not a gun fanatic, but I'm not saying I don't have a few firearms in my house... this is Virginia after all. :good: This guy should have been required to go to the police department, where they knew he was a lunatic, and explain why he needed a gun. They do this in so-called liberal gun-controlling states, and I don't see how it would impede on anyone's rights. I just think maybe a few more hoops to jump through aren't such a bad idea. We can't predict when a crazy person is going to go off, and we can't rid the world of crazy people... but we can make it harder for these people, not the regular Joe Schmo or Johnny Rebel, to get their crazy hands on weapons. I think that little extra hassle is worth a lot less than 32 innocent lives.

I'm not a gun fanatic, but I'm not saying I don't have a few firearms in my house... this is Virginia after all. :good: This guy should have been required to go to the police department, where they knew he was a lunatic, and explain why he needed a gun. They do this in so-called liberal gun-controlling states, and I don't see how it would impede on anyone's rights. I just think maybe a few more hoops to jump through aren't such a bad idea. We can't predict when a crazy person is going to go off, and we can't rid the world of crazy people... but we can make it harder for these people, not the regular Joe Schmo or Johnny Rebel, to get their crazy hands on weapons. I think that little extra hassle is worth a lot less than 32 innocent lives.

Well, the first part of the womans statement is stupid but she does have a point on the last part. Any office building or highschool and most campuses in the nation would have locked down after the first shooting in an abundance of caution. They may not have reopened that day either. This guy killed 2 people at 7:15am and the ran off. The school did not send out an email (as if that's and adequate for of communication in an emergency situation :rolleyes: ) until 9:15am when the gunmen started shooting again. Why the 2 hour delay? Wouldn't logic dictate that if you knew there was a gunman on campus, even if you thought he might have left, that you'd at least warn people via the campus PA system they have? If I were a parent and my child got killed or was injured in this the first thing i'd target is the inadequate warning given. It's pretty early in this but it seems like some negligence was in play.

in response to why they didn't immediately lock down and notify people after the first shooting... i've heard that they originally thought the first shooting (in the dorm) was a domestic issue and were looking into the female's (ex) boyfriend, which is why they didn't lock down, thinking it was an isolated incident. If this is the case, it's completely understandable in my opinion. in most cases, it's easier to not get everyone scared and crazy if there's just an isolated incident.

As someone who attended Tech from '94-'99, all the talk about why wasn't campus locked down has aggravated me to no end. I don't think people realize the

scale of what that entails. The Tech campus is a hugely sprawling area, with probably well over a hundred buildings, and tens of thousands of people moving

throughout it. It's a city unto itself. Shutting down a city is a nigh impossible task given the time and manpower that was available. I feel that administrators did the best they could with the information they had. They believed they were dealing with an isolated incident in a dorm room. So it made perfect sense to allow

students to proceed to class. Classes are on the far side of the main part of campus from the dorms, so it makes sense to have people go to class, and simply

keep the one dorm locked down.

I think some of the news outlets have begun to realize that fact. President Steger made comments about how unfeasable a complete lockdown would be. And

I read at least one article that talked about the size of the are in question. Maybe once they all got down there to cover the story they realized the scale of the

situation.

And please please please, someone tell these reports to stop calling it "Virginia Tech University". That sounds so stupid, either just say Virginia Tech,

or use the full name, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

Ok, I feel better for ranting, but the media has been really pissing me off with this thing. They ask some of the dumbest questions and grasp at the most

abrasive things. Take everything out of context.

If anyone watched the news coverage the hours after the incident, which I'm sure most of us were, you could see the media trying to get the students to say that they were angry at the university for not doing everything possible. When the reporters couldn't get them to place the blame on the university, they reported it that way anyways.

If anyone watched the news coverage the hours after the incident, which I'm sure most of us were, you could see the media trying to get the students to say that they were angry at the university for not doing everything possible. When the reporters couldn't get them to place the blame on the university, they reported it that way anyways.

Former Hokie Saunders takes down M's

Southpaw honors Virginia Tech victims with six strong frames

From MLB.COM

"Commissioner Bud Selig about two hours before game time to wear a Virginia Tech cap during his start, and he turned the opportunity into one of the better outings of his young career at a time when his team sorely needed a victory."

mTFOvslH.jpg

Archived