Palms Apts. Redevelopment

dmccall

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palms is on is very low lying land along a major tributary of Crabtree Creek (House Creek) so it tends to flood a lot. I also seem to recall that the culvert under some of the streets around there are too small, exacerbating the problem. I would imagine that with newer floodplain regulations, the buildable area will be significantly reduced.

I have been saying this complex is ripe for redevlopment for years. I have scoured that land from tip to toe as it was the first place I lived in the triangle when my family move to Raleigh in the early 70s.

Correct, much is in the flood plane as there is a section they demolished which had 5 or more apt buildings on after some of the big floods. The terraced hill will be the place to build but could be some tricky building. It is very steep but would make for some urban like views I do wonder how much extra land is available tucked away from the original layout. On the same side as the pool, there are 3 buildings that sit up higher. I have always wonder how much property there is to the left of them when looking at them face front. Maybe not much. There also is a small amoutn of open space in certain areas that could be filled and have the open park space for the residents where they tore those buildings down (on the Horten Street Curve)

Hate to see them go but the location is perfect. I would imagine that Meredith Woods Apts near Lake Boone Shopping Center would be be next as along with the Palms, use to be some of the only apts in Raleigh.......and they were considered modern for its time.

If I recall correctly, the part of the apartments that flooded and then were torn down became a FEMA property and is now owned by the CIty. I think it can not be rebuilt. I recall that it, at one time, that area was being considered for a small parking lot and greenway access to connect to the greenway bridge to the NCMA. As it is near my house, I was all for that scenario. Don't know the status of that though.

I have not verified this, however.

If I recall correctly, the part of the apartments that flooded and then were torn down became a FEMA property and is now owned by the CIty. I think it can not be rebuilt. I recall that it, at one time, that area was being considered for a small parking lot and greenway access to connect to the greenway bridge to the NCMA. As it is near my house, I was all for that scenario. Don't know the status of that though.

I have not verified this, however.

Archived