Meijer Gardens 2007 Concert Series Lineup

GRDadof3

From the Meijer Gardens membership desk:

Summertime. And the livin' is easy.

An eclectic selection of talented musicians headline the fifth annual Summer Concert Series at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. All concerts begin at 7pm with gates opening at 6pm. Check out our website for more information about these great acts.

MARY CHAPIN CARPENTER with Special Guest

Thursday, June 14

Chick Corea & Bela Fleck

Monday, June 18

COWBOY JUNKIES with Special Guest

Thursday, June 28

Lyle Lovett & His Large Band

Sunday, July 1

NICKEL CREEK with Special Guest Glen Phillips

Sunday, July 15

THE ROBERT CRAY BAND with Special Guest

Thursday, July 19

ROBERT RANDOLPH & THE FAMILY BAND with Special Guest

Thursday, August 2

Dar Williams & Over The Rhine

Thursday, August 9

LOS LOBOS with The Lee Boys

Thursday, August 23

Riders In The Sky

Wednesday, September 12

*Tickets go on sale to Meijer Gardens Members on Saturday, April 28. During an exclusive pre-sale, members may purchase tickets at Meijer Gardens avoiding all ticket service fees.

The 2007 Summer Concert Series at Frederik Meijer Gardens Amphitheater is presented by:

Ice Mountain Spring Water

LaSalle Bank

The Grand Rapids Press

WOOD TV 8

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

must admit that this is not my favorite venue:

whats the deal with putting a wide cement path between the audience and the stage, so you can see who is going to get a drink?

and not letting people stand up and dance and having all the workers telling you to sit down, its a concert right?

maybe in another twenty years it will be my speed

Well I hope Ralston organizes free concerts again (I think it was Wednesday nights) like last year. The names weren't as well known but the price was right. Since you still had to pay to get in the gardens I have to believe the concerts caused a lot of folks to buy memberships that might not have otherwise.

It does seem pretty steep. None of the artists are really in the spotlight anymore. It seems like it should be half that. But concerts these days are really overpriced. On another subject....anyone know if Blues on the Mall is happening this year?

I believe you're talking about LAV's Blues on the Mall, where Ralston always seemed to be. I don't think he had anything to do with the coordinating effort, he just always seemed to wander around and sell CD's.

I did see an ad for Blues on the Mall in some form, GR Mag maybe. No names just a teaser for the upcoming year. I keep checking the website but no info yet.

As well as being a musician, I believe Ralston Bowles also works for WLAV. I also seem to remember those Tuesday night concert events at Meijer Garden sold for 10 or 12 bucks. Would LOVE to be able to afford ticket prices for some of the summer lineup. Why is it that so many of the people who can afford the prices view these events as drinking venues and/or see and be seen opportunities? It's been my experience that those who attend the MG concerts are often times those who haven't a real appreciation for the music.

The charge for the Tuesday night concerts was just the regular admission price to get into the gardens. So if you had a membership or were going there anyway it was free. I agree with your assessment of the interest level of the audience. I find that to be true at most outdoor venues. It is irritating when you are trying to listen to the music when people around you are gabbing away

• 2 weeks later...

Helpful Hint: If you are willing to volunteer :thumbsup: at FMG, specifically for the Amphitheater, guess what? You're in. Put wrist bands on people - see the concert. Take tickets - see the concert. Kick people off the steps - see the concert.

Helpful Hint: If you are willing to volunteer :thumbsup: at FMG, specifically for the Amphitheater, guess what? You're in. Put wrist bands on people - see the concert. Take tickets - see the concert. Kick people off the steps - see the concert.

Not necessarily. During my city budget axe vacation I signed up to volunteer at FMG, and was told that only the long-time, slog to the Beltline in rain cold snow dark of night, dedicated volunteers with the most hours get to volunteer at the concerts. So don't think you can just sign up to volunteer today and get assigned to the concerts.

HTH

Members also get discounts on the concert series (they don't sell a package for the whole season though). I don't think $34.00 to see Robert Cray or $35 for Nickle Creek is bad at all. It certainly beats paying $50 for a show at the Wharton Center and then having to drive to and from!

• 8 months later...

Archived