[Proposal] Congaree Rd. Extension

Galley

One solution to the traffic problems on Woodruff Rd. could be to extend Congaree Rd to run behind Magnolia Park, eventually connecting with the Shops at Greenridge. There should be room for a 3-5 lane road that begins at the Congaree Rd. and Roper Mtn. Rd. intersection and runs behind Ashley Furniture, and then onto Magnolia Park. It would parallel the interstate, and then connect to the current access road near CompUSA. From there, a two-lane road could run between CompUSA and Goody's, under I-85 and come out between Dick's and OfficeMax. The Days Inn on Roper Mtn. Rd. would either have to be reconfigured or torn down, along with the U-haul place, but I imagine the Days Inn would have to go to improve that interchange.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if Congaree weren't extended over/under I-85 to the Shops at Gridlock, I believe you may be onto something. Just extending Congaree across Roper Mountain and into Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center would provide a great deal of relief. Entrance into Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center off of Roper Mountain Road alone, if it were to be accomplished somehow, would keep some traffic off of Woodruff. I'd like to see some estimated traffic counts for such a thing. :thumbsup:

I like the idea. Access to Magnolia Park from Roper Mountain Road would lessen the wait time from turning off from Woodruff Road.

Speaking of Congaree Road, it fits niceley with a four lane corridor plan from East Washington Street @ Laurens Road to Congaree @ Roper Mountain roads.

1. Extend East Washington Street to North Pleasantburg Drive @ Lowndes Hill Road as a four lane divided corridor. This may require an overpass for the planned light rail transit system from downtown through CU-ICAR.

2. Widen Lowndes Hill/Woods Lake roads to four lanes plus a turn lane. Establish a roundabout to circulate traffic between existing businesses (i.e Blind Horse saloon, Green Gate complex) or raze some existing properies to straigten out the road.

3. Widen Woods Crossing/Congaree roads to four lanes plus turn lane from Old Airport Road to Roper Mountain Road.

Archived