Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seicer

Pennsboro strives to preserve historic sites

2 posts in this topic

Pennsboro strives to preserve historic sites

See also

Key --

1. The Old Stone House, started in 1810 by the Webster family, became an inn along the Northwestern Turnpike -- that stretched from Parkersburg, W.Va. to Winchester, Va.

1a. In 1815, it was sold to James Martin who completed the house and operated it as an inn, was called the Martin House.

1b. In 1910, the Ireland family purchased it and used it as an inn -- and added at least 10 rooms. Their back addition is called the 'Ireland Addition'.

1c. The house was used until the 1970s when it became a museum.

1d. The timbers, which serve as the foundation, have become weakened due to moisture and termites. The floors on both the first and second floor are warped or slanted as a result.

1e. The Governor's Room contains the bed in which former Governor John J. Cornwell was born.

1f. One room features a 'one-room schoolhouse' -- a tribute to the last one-room schoolhouse in the state, which closed in the late 1980s.

2. The train depot, well-preserved, lies along a rail trail -- a former Baltimore and Ohio Railroad line that stretched from Washington, Pa.

2a. The east end of the depot was built in 1883. The west end was constructed in 1900.

2b. In 1976, the B&O abandoned the line. It is now part of the North Fork Rail Trail.

3. Maintaining both is a 'challenge' and the historical society within the town estimates that $240,000 needs to be spent on foudation repair and a new roof on part of the inn. The depot also needs roof repairs.

3a. To help raise the money, the society is producing reproduction farm maps that were made by the oil and gas companies during the early 20th century.

3b. Until the repairs are completed, the Old Stone House museum will be open by appointment only due to its condition.

Article information: "Pennsboro strives to preserve historic sites, by Jessica M. Karmasek, Daily Mail staff, Monday April 16, 2007"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pennsboro train depot added to national register

By RACHEL LANE, Parkersburg News and Sentinel, July 8, 2007

The Pennsboro Depot is now a listed National Historic Landmark. On Saturday, the Ritchie County Historical Society received the plaque during Market Day, an event held on the first Saturday of every month at the depot. The status now signifies that the building cannot be torn down. The building was nearing demolition when Sandra Hayhurst became involved and helped save the historical structure. It was fully restored by the historical society.

The eastern part of the depot was constructed in the 1880s. In 1900, the western part was constructed. The depot closed for passenger traffic in 1974, and in 1988, the rails were removed from Parkersburg east. It is now part of the North Bend Rail Trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.