Lyon Street Amphitheater and Interurban Bridge

GRDadof3

I was walking on the riverfront this morning and noticed how boring and tired looking the Lyon Street amphitheater (?) and the Interurban Bridge are looking. With the new convention center having expansive views of the river, wouldn't it be great if the Interurban Bridge could be modified to be more striking? And the amphitheater rebuilt and perhaps have a canopy added.

First with the amphitheater. Broken bricks, broken concrete, cold and foreboding, ick. And yet, what a great setting surrounded by some great architecture and the river.

463065995_96f65ac023_b.jpg

What about a festive canopy? It wouldn't have to be that expensive.

amphitheater%20seen%20from%20ballpark-resized.jpg

ampitheater.jpg

What about giving it a formal name, and maybe with a group sponsor and start filling it with acts and shows? Shakespeare anyone? BTW: the Gerald Ford Amphitheater name is already taken (Colorado)

Then there's the bridge. Windswept, old, tired, exposed, a few lonely benches in the middle (facing away from downtown??).

463071539_3f824e750e_b.jpg

463071487_af94d20de7_b.jpg

463100092_691c603f01_b.jpg

What about adding a cable stay structure, that's tied to the amphitheater canopy supports? Give it some drama!

child-bridge-large.jpg

300px-SideSparCableStayBridge1.jpg

What do you guys think? A lot of simple improvements could be done for $5 - $10 Million probably??

I drew up a little etch-a-sketch on this one:

463133271_130371d147_o.jpg

463133267_00047fd243_o.jpg

Based on inspiration from this bridge:

35a.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the canopy idea for the amphitheater, although it doesn't really get used much for that purpose any more, does it? Perhaps some sort of public art sculpture? Maybe a really big obelisk? I envision the triangular sculpture in the Mackinac Hall courtyard but on a bigger/taller scale.

As far as the bridge, I wouldn't mind seeing some green vegetation on it, like potted trees or something along those lines. I'm normally hesitant about ultra modernizing older structures but with bridges downtown being plentiful not to mention, this one's particular style is duplicated...I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of design as you illustrated. Perhaps the "interurban" feel/style could be incorporated into the design somehow?

I like the canopy idea for the amphitheater, although it doesn't really get used much for that purpose any more, does it? Perhaps some sort of public art sculpture?

As far as the bridge, I wouldn't mind seeing some green vegetation on it, like potted trees or something along those lines. I'm normally hesitant about ultra modernizing older structures but with bridges downtown being plentiful not to mention, this one's particular style is duplicated...I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of design as you illustrated. Perhaps the "interurban" feel/style could be incorporated into the design somehow?

That's strange, I was actually thinking the same thing originally. I found an old postcard of the bridge with the interurban electric poles on it, but I didn't think it would be dramatic enough. The bridge is historic so I'm not sure what modifications can be done. It's obviously been modified quite a bit since the 1900's.

Ah, here's the postcard:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/mi/kent/...ards/intrbr.jpg

I don't know how you could do something "dramatic" with that look?

I agree that poles like that wouldn't nearly be dramatic enough, unless the poles themselves were artistically spruced up, sorta getting back to the idea of the obelisk but this time putting it on the bridge and multiplying it by 8. Another route could be with the tressel-cap (for lack of a better term) but in the design instead of utilzing modern patterns give it a "rail/electric" look. A pattern with tracks and/or lightning bolts!

Here is a pick of what I was referring to, the pointed obelisk sculpture in the Mackinac Hall courtyard at GVSU Allendale. Maybe use these as the poles on the bridge, with a little variation in design of course. Perhaps construct them a bit on an angle?

MAKCourt.jpg

OK, having a bit too much fun with this. Here it is looking South from the convention center

463288279_d63a8e8bd5_o.jpg

At night:

463288283_9971f90997_o.jpg

With special lighting for 4th of July and Celebration on the Grand:

463288285_07456364d7_o.jpg

Cool pedestrian bridges seem to be all the rave lately:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...mages&gbv=2

It's like an effective way to add a giant functioning art sculpture.

I agree. It is something that could give the riverfront a nice overhaul. I like your concept too. Give it to bonafide artist-sculpter type and you might get some really cool results. It would be cool to treat it like they did with Soldier field. Keep the old historic shell (the bridge) and build something modern that comes up out of it.

As far as the lighting, I think lighting should be an element for *every* night. :thumbsup:

Joe

It's like an effective way to add a giant functioning art sculpture.

First with the amphitheater. Broken bricks, broken concrete, cold and foreboding, ick. And yet, what a great setting surrounded by some great architecture and the river.

What about giving it a formal name, and maybe with a group sponsor and start filling it with acts and shows? Shakespeare anyone? BTW: the Gerald Ford Amphitheater name is already taken (Colorado)...

I agree. It is something that could give the riverfront a nice overhaul. I like your concept too. Give it to bonafide artist-sculpter type and you might get some really cool results. It would be cool to treat it like they did with Soldier field. Keep the old historic shell (the bridge) and build something modern that comes up out of it.

As far as the lighting, I think lighting should be an element for *every* night. :thumbsup:

Joe

Archived