RSA Battle House Tower

Southron

First Tenant Moves in RSA Battle House Tower

The first tenant, International Shipholding Inc. opened for business in the RSA Battle House Tower April 16th. The building architect says the tower is essentially done -- the crown will remain open to give it an "airy" appearance. The tower lobby won't be open to the public until the Battle House Hotel opens in May.

Specialty lighting on the building and the crown are expected to give the tower a spectacular appearance at night -- a beacon on the bay.

Mobile Press-Register: Is it done yet? The answer is yes, says RSA Tower architect

---

Renderings:

RSA_TOWERwb.jpg

RSAtower_4.jpg

RSAtower_5.jpg

RSAtower.jpg

Construction photos:

Construction1.jpg

CooperPk_skyline1.jpg

April 2007 photos:

i.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

(April photos courtesy spookyapp and nimsjus)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_2615.jpg

Driveways like this don't belong in an urban environment and should never break sidewalks like this one does.

I appreciate RSA's downtown development efforts around the state, but I wish they would get better at designing site plans in an urban environment.

IMG_2615.jpg

Driveways like this don't belong in an urban environment and should never break sidewalks like this one does.

I appreciate RSA's downtown development efforts around the state, but I wish they would get better at designing site plans in an urban environment.

i agree about the discontinuous sidewalk. on the other hand, maintaining the walkway would add only the most transient of pedestrian convenience - this is a modern skyscraper, and it has no dedicated street-level amenities for the general public. cities everywhere are trying to undo their skyscrapers' lack of public engagement at ground level; this one just opened and carries forth the template of similar buildings from the 1950s onward. when, if ever, will RSA or the city see a need to remedy it? perhaps if mobile continues to grow in density and activity in the immediate area, hopefully.

thanks for posting the close-up of the crown - that's the first such shot i've seen, and i've been wondering about the detail in its construction.

i agree about the discontinuous sidewalk. on the other hand, maintaining the walkway would add only the most transient of pedestrian convenience - this is a modern skyscraper, and it has no dedicated street-level amenities for the general public. cities everywhere are trying to undo their skyscrapers' lack of public engagement at ground level; this one just opened and carries forth the template of similar buildings from the 1950s onward. when, if ever, will RSA or the city see a need to remedy it? perhaps if mobile continues to grow in density and activity in the immediate area, hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...

The spire of the RSA Battle House Tower will be lighted this Friday night and the tower and adjoining hotel will be officially open for business. The tower was 60% leased as of April. Tenants include RSA and PCH Hotels, International Shipholding Corp., Adams & Reese law firm, Regions Bank, Hand Arendall law firm, CitiGroup/Smith Barney, a state agency, a telecommunications firm, an architectural firm, a corporate design group and several other law firms. More tenants will be named this month.

Mobile Press-Register articles with photos:

A look inside Alabama's tallest building

Architect: RSA Tower a 'spectacular' accomplishment

Garage a concrete puzzle

Construction photo gallery: RSA Tower Construction

Sunday's Press-Register featured a special 18-page section for area RSA projects, titled "Vested in the Future."

Vested in the Future

Here's a cool preview of the tower lighting: Dancing lights

Check it out, it's pretty neat. Thanks to RSAHort for the link.

---

The tower will be lit up by Dr. Bronner in a ceremony tonight, and the adjoining Battle House Hotel will be open for business.

Mobile Press-Register blog: Battle House opening events set

I'm pretty sure that's a demo of the possibilities. The lighting is supposed to change with the seasons, and may be kind of like a lighthouse beacon on the bay. Judging by some of the colors in the demo, there will likely be special displays for Mardis Gras, and probably for other events as well.

The $220 million tower and hotel opened for business last night with a black-tie grand opening gala that included lighting the tower's spire. The hotel will be open to the public for guided tours today from 3 to 7 p.m. as part of Battle House Day in Mobile.

Mobile Press-Register: Switch is flipped on RSA Tower

Musicisright snapped this photo of RSA's David Bronner flipping the switch to light the spire.

_MG_6554re.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice, very nice! Thanks for taking all those shots :thumbsup: Thats some awesome lighting on the spire for an impressive skyscraper. That building is the envy of the South. I really like the street level shot too; with the hotel light-up and Palm trees.

Very nice, very nice! Thanks for taking all those shots :thumbsup: Thats some awesome lighting on the spire for an impressive skyscraper. That building is the envy of the South. I really like the street level shot too; with the hotel light-up and Palm trees.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Signal International plans to move its corporate headquarters from Pascagoula to the RSA Battle House Tower, the second tenant to relocate its HQ to the new building. The marine and fabrication company leased 6,000 sq ft of office space and will move within six to nine months. The company employs more than 2,500 workers in its six shipyards, two in Pascagoula and four in the Port Arthur and Orange, Texas, areas. RSA is now a partner in the 4-year-old company.

Thus far, 76% of the tower's 460,000 sq ft of office space has been leased.

Mobile Press-Register: RSA gets another HQ

Archived